Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
2010/08/11 23:23:43 (permalink)

Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is...

The overwhelming response is Thin crust. Most of us eat Pizza for the sauce and toppings. If you could put toppings on a Wonton Wrapper, I would be happy. Most Pizza crusts out here are blah, unless you get one from an authentic, from scratch Pizza joint. Most times, I just scrape the toppings off the crust and throw the crust away, unless it's from an honest to goodness from scratch pizza maker. Out here in the Desert,we rarely can find a good East Coast Pizza house. I lived in NJ and worked in Manhattan so I know a good pizza. Don't take your Pizzas for granted. East Coasters, count your blessings! 

60 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 02:57:44 (permalink)
    I'm glad you can speak so confidently as to what others think. You throw the crust away? Why not just pour Lasagna all over yourself?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 06:06:47 (permalink)
    Foodbme

I lived in NJ and worked in Manhattan so I know a good pizza.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  *YAWN*
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 10:22:47 (permalink)
    I found the crust descriptions rather confusing. So I just answered "Other".

As for crust, it is the most critical and artful part of the pizza. If the crust isn't right most likely the toppings will be no better. Besides, the toppings of any quality wouldn't taste right unless balanced with crust for me.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 10:59:14 (permalink)
    I also answered "other"; if ordering out, I like a hand thrown crust with a little "heft" to it, but mostly I love my own, homemade dough with garlic and herbs in the crust as well as on top- favorite topping- mozzerella and basil with just a drizzle of EVOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 11:14:29 (permalink)
    What is "Thin Sicilian, Grandma"?
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 11:33:52 (permalink)
    enginecapt

What is "Thin Sicilian, Grandma"?

My Sicilian Grandma always spent so much time cooking, she never actually ate.

Actually around here that has become an increasingly common variety of pie, but it seems to be a moving target, as different places have very different grandma pies. Usually the crust is similar...thicker than the regular round pie, but not as thick as a normal Sicilian pie, but toppings vary.

Some are just the same as regular sicilian just that the crust is thinner, others are fairly lightly topped with sauce and not as much cheese as other pies. Some use fresh mozzerella and basil...more of a margherita pie...and others top with just a little sauce or crushed tomato and an onion and breadcrumb and romano cheese mixture...no mozzarella. The last one is what I always thought a real grandma pie was, but as I see more places making it, that doesn't seem to be the case.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2010/08/12 11:35:52
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 11:39:04 (permalink)
    what's grandma got to do with it?  Why the name?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 11:45:16 (permalink)
    Now I'm more confused than I was when I asked the question.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 11:46:19 (permalink)
    Davydd
    As for crust, it is the most critical and artful part of the pizza. If the crust isn't right most likely the toppings will be no better. Besides, the toppings of any quality wouldn't taste right unless balanced with crust for me.

This.  My favorite pizzas are all my favorites because of the crust.

For example, Phoenix's Pizzeria Bianco:  I might even like this crust if the toppings were motor oil and metal shavings:

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 12:55:50 (permalink)
    bill voss

Don't know that one. I do know the kind I last described is something people would often make at home, so maybe the first purveyor of this style made it because his grandmother did? No clue.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 12:56:14 (permalink)
    enginecapt

Now I'm more confused than I was when I asked the question.

You're welcome. 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 13:07:53 (permalink)
    Ya know...As a Pizza lover since my childhood in North Jersey...and living here in Jersey all my 64 years..I've come to love all well made Italian pizzas...I order based on how I feel that day or what looks good from displays...Crust is so important...bad crust,like the other ingrediants ruins a pie!!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 13:57:30 (permalink)
    enginecapt

Foodbme

I lived in NJ and worked in Manhattan so I know a good pizza.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  *YAWN*

Since I live in AZ, I didn't want people to think I never had a good pizza, so I added that. I know a good pizza when I smell one!
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 14:40:18 (permalink)
    Tony Bad

bill voss

Don't know that one. I do know the kind I last described is something people would often make at home, so maybe the first purveyor of this style made it because his grandmother did? No clue.

I think that's it.  It's supposed to be a simple, home-style pizza, like grandma made in the old country.  When I was a kid we had an Italian neighbor who made these sort of pies: dough stretched into a rough rectangle, topped with tomatoes, oil, maybe some cheese or a few anchovies.  Very different from the pizzeria pies of the time.
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 15:03:15 (permalink)
    Good crust is indeed important. It is the base for the pizza. I like a variety of pizza crusts depending on pizza itself. Sometimes I could frankly do without the toppings, not to say I do not like them.

Bottom line: different crusts, thin, thick, sicilian, wood fired, all can be delicious if made well. 

I had pizza from Little Caesar's once because we wanted to try a chain type just for the experience. It was not good. 
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 16:16:14 (permalink)
    analei

I had pizza from Little Caesar's once because we wanted to try a chain type just for the experience. It was not good. 

You couldn't have picked a worse example of chain pizza to try.  Little Caesar's is the dregs of chain pizzas.  (The cheapest ingredients, least amount of toppings, longest-held and/or warmed-over-so-it-can-be-"hot-and-ready" pizza of any of the chains!)

Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 16:41:48 (permalink)
    I looked into it for the pizza magazine we are doing and here is what we say about the birth of Grandma Pie:
    It is believed to have originated at King Umberto's in Elmont, New York, sometime in the 1970s, but remained an anonymous menu special (based on a pizzaiolo's mother's recipe) until the late 1980s  when bakers Ciro Cesarano and Angelo Giangrande got together with a customer named Tippy Nocella and christened it. They originally thought they would call it grandpa pie, but figured that more customers would want to eat it if it was grandma's.

porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 16:42:34 (permalink)
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

Tony Bad

bill voss

I think that's it.  It's supposed to be a simple, home-style pizza, like grandma made in the old country.  When I was a kid we had an Italian neighbor who made these sort of pies: dough stretched into a rough rectangle, topped with tomatoes, oil, maybe some cheese or a few anchovies.  Very different from the pizzeria pies of the time.

According to Adam Kuban of Slice, "Grandma style (aka 'Nonna Pizza'): Essentially a thin-crust Sicilian. I've gotten guff for saying that in the past, so if any of you out there want to correct me and argue for a workable definition of this style, please comment. It was sort of a Long Island thing until the past couple of years, when it started making inroads into the boroughs of New York City. Typically has a fresh, lightly seasoned sauce.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 17:42:24 (permalink)
    You know you all talk about grandma but evidently great-grandma never got the word on pizza. I downloaded a 1919 e-book The Italian Cook Book by Mrs. Maria Gentile published by the Italian Book Co., New York. Hundreds of recipes of all kind and not a single reference to pizza or a recipe that remotely indicated pizza. Interesting. I was hoping for some historical reference. If you want it you can probably find it easily. It is a Project Gutenberg Ebook.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/12 20:44:11 (permalink)
    The Italian Cook Book
    Davydd

You know you all talk about grandma but evidently great-grandma never got the word on pizza. I downloaded a 1919 e-book The Italian Cook Book by Mrs. Maria Gentile published by the Italian Book Co., New York. Hundreds of recipes of all kind and not a single reference to pizza or a recipe that remotely indicated pizza. Interesting. I was hoping for some historical reference. If you want it you can probably find it easily. It is a Project Gutenberg Ebook.

That is a neat find Davydd! 

I don't think pizza or its precursors are in that book because they were such a simple item...kind of like not finding grilled cheese in an American cook book. From what my grandmother used to tell me pizza or its equivalents were a quick bite or something served before a meal like an appetizer and her descriptions sounded little like what we think of as pizza.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/13 05:16:54 (permalink)
    kaszeta

Davydd

This.  My favorite pizzas are all my favorites because of the crust.

For example, Phoenix's Pizzeria Bianco:  I might even like this crust if the toppings were motor oil and metal shavings:

Yeah... Bianco's pizza crust is awsome!!!  Hell, I'd even put anchovies on it.
      I used to go to their original location in the Town and Country Mall on 20th St. and Maryland.
      Takes me back to my old stomping grounds. MMMMMMMMM

David O.

p.s. My preferred style of crust is hand tossed thin crust but I didn't see it on the poll.
    post edited by boyardee65 - 2010/08/13 05:18:41
    WBBear
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/14 14:41:17 (permalink)
    Did anyone else want an "all the above" button?
    ps303
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/15 07:41:09 (permalink)
    Really really thin crust is the best.  Crunchy goodness.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/15 12:10:44 (permalink)
    WBBear

Did anyone else want an "all the above" button?

Yes, as I said above...I like any type of well made pizza....great ingredients...I'm game for any type of crust!!!!
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 15:29:30 (permalink)
    I replied Grandmas thin.  I think I have had it and of all places San Mateo, Ca.  My wife would drive this older Italian American women to prayer group every week, and in repayment and the kindness of her heart she would give my wife a medium size very thin pizza.  The pizza had a very thin but not overburnt or soggy crust, a small amount of tomato sauce with oregano and cheese, Parma-Romano no Mozzarella.  And you could tell that she made these for her friends and family- the secret ingredient - LOVE

Also anyone who has been brought up in an Italian American community pretty much knows that the Grandmas were some of the best cooks in the area, the way they took the time to make real slow food. Not all but most. Think braciole roast in Italian Gravy.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 16:52:39 (permalink)
    I answered Something Else because none of the names work for me. When  see Thin Crust all I know is a crust that breaks like a cracker. I detest that. California Pizza Kitchen comes to mind. As for the remainder of the list, nothing there describes the New Haven style crust I grew up with and love.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 17:01:22 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I answered Something Else because none of the names work for me. When  see Thin Crust all I know is a crust that breaks like a cracker. I detest that. California Pizza Kitchen comes to mind. As for the remainder of the list, nothing there describes the New Haven style crust I grew up with and love.

I believe that would fall in the Thin Crust category.  Here's the definition of New Haven from the folks at SLICE

Cooked in a coal oven, has a very crisp crust that is thin but still typically thicker than New York pizzas. Marked by a characteristic oblong shape, often served on a sheet of waxed paper atop a plastic cafeteria tray. Thought to be the place where clam pizza was developed (Frank Pepe's). The two biggies here are Sally's and Pepe's, but there are others (notably Modern) with their adherents. New Haven partisans often argue that pizza was invented here, but I believe NYC has them beat on this claim.

Btw, this is what they say about the dreaded cracker crust.  CRACKER STYLE PIZZA: Pizza Hut made the cracker style crust popular back in the 1950's and they are still identified with this style. The dough is under-mixed according to Tom Lehmann with the American Institute of Baking. It is mixed until you can still see some of the white flour (only about five minutes). This dough needs to be fermented for five or six hours and must be sheeted to obtain its layered, cracker-like texture. The toppings and cheese are modestly applied and not piled up high and a thinner sauce usually works best.
    post edited by porkbeaks - 2010/08/16 17:04:14
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 17:09:47 (permalink)
    Well, I don't want to be argumentative, but I can't see how one could fold what they describe as a "very crisp crust," and I never ate a piece of apizza from Pepe's, Sally's or The Spot that wasn't foldable.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/08/16 17:17:53
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 19:45:43 (permalink)
    santacruz

I replied Grandmas thin.  I think I have had it and of all places San Mateo, Ca.  My wife would drive this older Italian American women to prayer group every week, and in repayment and the kindness of her heart she would give my wife a medium size very thin pizza.  The pizza had a very thin but not overburnt or soggy crust, a small amount of tomato sauce with oregano and cheese, Parma-Romano no Mozzarella.  And you could tell that she made these for her friends and family- the secret ingredient - LOVE

Also anyone who has been brought up in an Italian American community pretty much knows that the Grandmas were some of the best cooks in the area, the way they took the time to make real slow food. Not all but most. Think braciole roast in Italian Gravy.

Oooohhhh sunday gravy with a braciole...We make gravy every week...but braciole is once a month or so.....sorry don't want to get off topic...but at least it's still Italian
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1