Polonez meetup- Was: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 17:01:44 (permalink)
Polonez only pics!! :)

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=4lhy15d.865kg5kp&x=0&y=-rcxsoe&localeid=en_US

And all kidding aside, if you see your face in the pics & want me to remove it, I will. Just send me a PM.

post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/01/25 17:08:13
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 17:59:55 (permalink)
Stricken, you know how to throw a party. Our part of the group had a great time with some great food.

After the last cheesecake was eaten, we finally got a chance to mingle and shoot the breeze. For those that had to leave early, I know it was difficult to meet new friends or catch up with old ones.

While all the food was very good, I think my highlight was the cream of dill pickle soup.

S_D, how'd you get a picture of the accordian player laying on his side? Ha.

At get togethers like this, I'm reminded how much fun it is to break bread (or rye rolls today) with fellow Roadfooders. We look forward to our next meet 'n great.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 20:55:22 (permalink)
Had a great time. It was nice to see familiar faces and meet new people.
I, too, loved the dill pickle soup - was *very* skeptical, but wow - what a nice surprise!
The cheese pierogies were great, too. And of course - BACON!

SD or Buddy - if you read this - please tell or send me the link to the thread for that Chicago thing we were talking about. Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/25 21:16:13 (permalink)
Here are some pics. It was good to see old and new faces. The food was fantastic.

stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 00:40:26 (permalink)
X1SD or Buddy - if you read this - please tell or send me the link to the thread for that Chicago thing we were talking about. Can't seem to find it. Thanks!

It was hidden. We really do need a Get-Togethers Forum. :)

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Spring-Fling-for-the-MilwaukeeChicago-Contingent-and-anyone-else-who-want-to-join-in-m479651.aspx

I made the pics all pretty & put the musician right side up. I'm gonna go see what else I can do w/the old ones.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4236
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 01:12:02 (permalink)
Just more affirmation that we all had a great time today.  Our tight knit little group seems to be expanding into a tight knit big group, and that's okay.  Notable additions today were irisarbor's husband who proved himself worthy of losing the "husbad" designation, and nocarolina, a fine and friendly gent with a good disposition and great enthusiasm for Roadfood in general, and socializing with our group in particular.  It's reached a point where it's hard to tell if we put more importance on the food or the pleasure of each other's company at these meet-ups, and that's okay with me.

Today's highlights included for me, from left to right as we went down the buffet, the dill pickle soup; julienned shreds of root veggies and dill pickle in a nicely balanced, slightly sweet/tart broth with a delightfuly dominant dill flavor.

The soup was followed up by some of the finest smoked salmon I have ever tasted.  This was rich, oily (not in a bad way) fish with a silky, velvety texture, enhanced by just the right amount of smoke and saltiness.  The accompanying bagels were just barely defrosted Lender's minis, but that was good enough.  If the bagels had been any better, they might have distracted from that phenomenal fish!

Next up was a brilliant roast stuffed pork loin.  As I noted to my fellow diners, this particular cut has a bad habit of being overcooked, dry and grainy.  Not so with Polonez's version.  This was moist and succulent; perfectly seasoned to bring out the rich pork flavor that frequently gets lost with a loin.  The "stuffing" was really a plum compote-like filling, the subtle sweetness of which was an excellent compliment to the pork.  The tang from a dab of Polish horseradish completed the combination of flavors.

Bite sized chunks of Polish sausage, silver dollar style potato pancakes, and mini cheese pierogis rounded out the ethnic standouts at the buffet.  There were other, more "American" standards also available, hash browns, scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, and bacon.  All nicely prepared, but, for me virtually irrelevant in this palace of Polish delights.  There were also a handful of dessert items, the mini, melt in your mouth cream puffs being the star of that show.

Once again, it was a real pleasure to see everyone again after so many months in weather induced isolation.  Spending the afternoon with my Roadfood friends warmed up a bitter cold January day.

Buddy

P.S. X1, here is the link to the Spring Fling thread.  I'll post some links to the various restaurants listed so we can make some informed decisions on where we finally end up.  I'm hoping to generate some serious, good natured discussion on our picks.  Also, the date and time is still up in the air, so that will be another topic for us to talk about.  The only date that is abvsolutely off the table (as I'm sure you'll all agree) is May 23rd, the date of JRPfeff's annual Barbecue.  Nobody wants to miss that, do they???

B.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 10:22:17 (permalink)
What a fun thing to do on a cold morning!
Great food, great music, and great friends!
Thanks to all, and thanks to those who remembered their cameras (unlike me...)
I really enjoyed some new treats, and I think for once my boys were actually filled up!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2942
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 11:38:51 (permalink)
Well it sure looks like a good time was had by all!  Great turnout & great food!  Question - Was there only one type/flavor of pierogis available?  I've always thought they came in many flavors and would be available in a Polish setting.
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 12:54:17 (permalink)
Sorry I missed it!  We had a bit too much fun on Saturday at an ice fishing jamboree, so Sunday was a recovery day.  But I'm looking at the spring outing already!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4236
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 14:21:40 (permalink)
ChiTownDinerQuestion - Was there only one type/flavor of pierogis available?  I've always thought they came in many flavors and would be available in a Polish setting.
They only served cheese pierogis as part of the buffet.  stricken detective took the lead in this situation and ordered from the regular menu a platter of a dozen sauerkraut pierogis (which I'm pretty sure also had some mushroom in them).

These were larger in size than the ones offered at the buffet.  They were also pan fried as opposed to the buffet's steamed version.  The platter quickly went around the table with all interested parties grabbing a sample.  Unfortunately all this came toward the end of the meal when everyone was pretty well filled up.  Still, there were only a few of those little pockets of happiness left over and they were packed up to go to loving homes where they would be appreciated.

Buddy

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 14:55:46 (permalink)
Buddy, many thanks for the kind words and for going out of your way to make me feel welcome at my first Roadfood meet n' eat. I had a great time; the food was very good and the company was even better. It's been a long time since I've met so many nice people, all of whom share my passion for great food. Based on this experience, I'm even more enthused about attending next month's Glee Club gathering in Greenville / Memphis, and the big RF event in NOLA this April.  
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8365
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/26 17:43:01 (permalink)
I am so happy to hear you all had a good time, and that the food was as good as the company. Looking forward to our breakfast excursion on Feb.22-to see some old friends, and meet new. Sorry I missed this one-the food sounds right up my alley!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Crocus Polish restaurant in Milwaukee 2009/01/28 13:57:42 (permalink)
The dill pickle soup sounds really interesting! Great photos, we'll have to wander north sometime when the weather is nicer.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1