The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Popeye's Sweet Tea

DougC

• Total Posts: 1
Popeye's Sweet Tea Tue, 08/2/05 5:09 PM (permalink)
So I'm born and raised Californian, but spent 4 years in the Air Force experiencing the world. In 1994 I was stationed at Kadean Air Base Okinawa Japan. There was a Popeye's Chicken on base, it was the first time I'd ever seen one. They served Sweet Tea and I became instantly addicted. Many of my military friends where from the south and I found out sweat tea is a standard southern beverage.

In '98 I returned to the states and was stationed at McClellan Air Force Base back in my home town of Sacramento California. Much to my surprise there was a Popeye's Chicken not far from the base. I went in and ordered my standard Chicken Strips, Fry's, and Red Beans & Rice. I then franticly searched for the Sweet Tea only to discover they did not serve it, I was bummed.

So can any of you from the South tell me how to properly make Sweat Tea, and what sort of tea bags to use? It would help if I can make small batches because I’m sure no one else out here in Cali will enjoy it with me.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
    RE: Popeye's Sweet Tea Wed, 08/3/05 11:10 AM (permalink)
    I'll give you my wife's recipe.

Start about three cups or so of water boiling. Remove from the heat a put in three family size JFG or Luzianne (don't think you'll find either one of these brands in CA, so just use Lipton's) tea bags and let then steep for ten or so minutes. Put one cup of regular white sugar in a pitcher and add the hot tea. Stir. Put another three cups of tap water in the pan with the tea bags and then pour this in the pitcher. Pour over ice and you may need to add more sugar. My grandmother used two cups of sugar...heart disease from country ham and diabetes from the tea kill a fair number of Southerners.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Popeye's Sweet Tea Wed, 08/3/05 12:28 PM (permalink)

Doug,
      Welcome to Roadfood.Com and also welcome Home!!

As a former Californian now in Kentuciana (Louisville Area) I can testify that one good reason for moving S E from your current location is the Sweet Tea...Not just at Popeyes, but almost everywhere in this area !

There is a whole thread of recipes for Sweet Tea on this site, do a 'search' for SWEET TEA and I am sure it will pop up for you. One of the basics for making Southern Sweet Tea is the use of a simple sugar syrup instead of trying to dissolve granulated sugar into the tea itself.

Good Luck and keep posting!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com