The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pork Chops - Two Extremes

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
Pork Chops - Two Extremes Wed, 03/3/10 9:55 PM (permalink)
I thought I'd share pictures of a couple meals from last week's vacation.

On Monday we spent the day in Progresso on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.  After a tour of Mayan ruins, we had lunch at a place on the beach recommended by our tour guide.  Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the place.

I ordered the Yucatan Style Pork Chop.  It looked like this.

I've never seen a pork chop that looks like that before.  It was good and even tasted like pork.  Although I left a lot of gristle and fat on the plate.

We returned to New Orleans on Thursday and had dinner at Broussard's.  I had scanned the online menu and had zeroed in on their pork chop.
BERKSHIRE PORK CHOP
Grilled on celeriac puree’ with Caramelized Apple Chutney, Beurre Blanc and Port Wine chile sauce

It was dark in the restaurant, so when the chop was served I thought the pork was piled on the celeriac puree.  Nope, that was all pork.  It was between 2 and 3 inches thick (thicker in back).

This was the best pork chop I have ever eaten.  Charred on the outside and a juicy medium inside, with a really good seasoning and sauce.  I ate every bit of it that I could without picking up the bone with my hands.

Hard to believe that these come from the same animal.  But both were very tasty.

One question: Does dog taste like pork?

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
    Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Wed, 03/3/10 10:15 PM (permalink)
    No, but goat kind of does, sometimes. I had goat in Jamaica, It looked kind of like that. It was good and even tasted like pork. Although I left a lot of gristle and fat on the plate, IIRC.

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
      Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Wed, 03/3/10 10:56 PM (permalink)
       That Broussard's pork chop is indeed very impressive -

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Wed, 03/3/10 11:42 PM (permalink)
        Quite a few years ago on a trip to Mexico I had "Barbecoa de mixiote" in Oaxaca that looked the size of a leg bone (broken in half) of either goat or dog.  I didn't know enough Spanish to be able to find out which it really was while I was there, but a couple of years ago a good friend of mine who still has relatives in Mexico said it was goat, since that is a common meat eaten in Mexico.  If your "pork chop" really wasn't pork, the odds are it was goat.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
          Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Thu, 03/4/10 1:24 AM (permalink)
          Is it really OK for a pork chop to be juicy, medium inside? Isn't that dangerous? I know I overcook chops regularly.

The Bear

MiamiDon

Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Thu, 03/4/10 5:35 AM (permalink)
            ScreenBear

Is it really OK for a pork chop to be juicy, medium inside? Isn't that dangerous? I know I overcook chops regularly.

The Bear

Yes.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Thu, 03/4/10 5:46 AM (permalink)
              ScreenBear,
               IN the USA the former 'trechinosus'(sp?) issue of generations past regarding Pork are no longer valid according to both the USDA and the Pork Producers. I still prefer my pork to be "more than Medium" in the finished cooking level. While Well-done does seem to toughen a loin, leaving a Butt medium-rare almost guarantees a tough chewy piece of meat.

I noticed recently that Costco is now carrying "frenched" Rack of Pork. When I first saw one I thought they had put out some very large Rack of Lamb, but they were Pork, and pretty good looking pork too. We may try some in the near future. The one you show in N O looks beautiful.

RedJim64

• Total Posts: 128
                Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Thu, 03/4/10 8:31 AM (permalink)
                Both plates are gorgeous, JRP!

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2202
                  Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Thu, 03/4/10 9:01 AM (permalink)
                  If you're willing to pay the price, Berkshire pork will give you what you've been missing since pork became the
                  "other white meat". This rack cost around $40 and, if it were only more easily available, I'd get it fairly regularly. Didn't get a chance to take "after" pic; I was too busy making sure I got my share.  pb

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                    Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Thu, 03/4/10 9:17 AM (permalink)
                    Both those chops look excellent.  And with the one from Broussard's you not only get pork to chew on but big words as well.

According to Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe, pork is safe at 137 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature.  My mother, however, cooks pork to at least 137 degrees Celsius.

If I'm cooking a lean cut like a loin or tenderloin I try to end the cooking process around 140F so carryover takes it to 145F or so.

Brad

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                      Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Tue, 03/9/10 10:41 AM (permalink)
                      mayor al

I noticed recently that Costco is now carrying "frenched" Rack of Pork. When I first saw one I thought they had put out some very large Rack of Lamb, but they were Pork, and pretty good looking pork too. We may try some in the near future. The one you show in N O looks beautiful.

That kind of cut has been around for a long time and is usually called a "crown rack" of pork. It's what I usually serve at Christmas.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                        Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Tue, 03/9/10 11:03 AM (permalink)
                        I like to cook loin chops to a med-well stage; just a hint of pink.  If you don't grill them over too high a heat, they will also stay juicier.  A well-cooked juicy pork chop is one of life's great meals!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Tue, 03/9/10 11:06 AM (permalink)
                          We have the 'Crown Rack' of Pork at many of our local stores during the holiday seasons. The rack I saw at Costco is more like a large rack of Lamb...six or seven  ribchops, straight line, frenched like the Lamb. No way to group them in the circle like the traditional Crown Roast of Pork!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                            Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Tue, 03/9/10 11:09 AM (permalink)
                            I am able to buy Berkshire pork chps at my local Kings Supermarket. They really are delicious! I cook them until they are slightly pink.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                              Re:Pork Chops - Two Extremes Wed, 03/10/10 11:40 AM (permalink)
                              mayor al

We have the 'Crown Rack' of Pork at many of our local stores during the holiday seasons. The rack I saw at Costco is more like a large rack of Lamb...six or seven  ribchops, straight line, frenched like the Lamb. No way to group them in the circle like the traditional Crown Roast of Pork!

That's how the crown begins, a straight line "frenched" cut and then pulled around to form a circle and held by string. The center then is usually stuffed. My butcher asks if I want it formed into a crown or in a rack when I order.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com