Pork Standing Rib Roast

Author
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
2007/11/28 00:26:21 (permalink)

Pork Standing Rib Roast

I plan on serving a Pork roast this Christmas instead of the usual turkey or ham. We have a great dressing recipe but would like some thoughts on how to prepare the roast. I am looking for some "not so usual recipes." I have a smoker but prefer not to use it during Christmas as we had smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. Also any great sides to go with would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David O.

15 Replies Related Threads

desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/28 09:34:06 (permalink)

Watching this post with great anticipation. I am going to do the same thing this year.

If I remember correctly, someone posted a recipe or two for this last year. I'll look around the site.

desertdog
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/28 09:54:53 (permalink)

Here is something I gleaned off of Food and Wine:

Standing Rib Roast of Pork with Tuscan Herb Sauce

ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN

TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS PLUS OVERNIGHT MARINATING

SERVES: 8

This recipe also comes from Trevor Kaufman, who brought it back with him from a trip to Italy. Ask the butcher for a roast with the chine and rib bones, as it will make for a more flavorful and better-looking dish. To simplify serving, have the butcher partially detach the loin from the ribs and cut through the chine bone between each rib.

Ingredients

1/2 cup finely chopped rosemary
    2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
    One 6-pound bone-in pork loin rib roast, chine bone intact
    2 cups coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    2/3 cup chopped mint leaves
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

In a small bowl, mix the rosemary with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Spread the rub all over the pork and into the space between the partially detached roast and the rib bones.

Using kitchen string, tie up the roast to give it a nice shape. Transfer the pork to a roasting pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the pork roast from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before roasting. Preheat the oven to 400°.

Roast the pork for about 1 1/2 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 135° for medium.

Let the pork roast stand for 20 minutes before carving into chops.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the parsley with the mint, garlic and lemon juice and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, slowly pour in the remaining 2/3 cup of olive oil until the sauce is smooth. Season the herbs with salt and pepper.

Untie the roast and carve it into chops. Transfer the chops to a platter, top with some herb sauce and serve the remaining herb sauce on the side.

MAKE AHEAD The herb sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

WINE SELECTION: A light red, such as an Oregon Pinot Noir, has just the right amount of tartness to blend with the succulent roasted pork and its tart sauce. Consider the 2000 Eyrie Vineyards or the 2000 Sokol Blosser Willamette Valley.

edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2081
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/28 10:05:30 (permalink)
    I think I might start the pork roast on a grill for 20 to 40 min. to get a light char flavor and brown. Then put it in a roasting pan to finish with glazes or as directed by other recipes. Cooking can then be finished in the oven or on the grill (low and slow, without smoke).

Desertdog's recipe looks good. I'm sure others will also post great recipes that will work with the above suggestion.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15213
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/28 10:46:09 (permalink)
    When a whole Pork Rib Roast is trussed in a circle...bones to the outside, it is called a Crown Roast and has amazing potential for "fancy" presentation and stuffing combinations. This would be a great Christmas Dinner Table presentation.

Here is a link to the description and photos of the Crown Rib Roast. I recommend it highly.
    AL

http://www.porkpeople.com/crownroast.html
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/28 11:30:51 (permalink)
    If you're looking for a roast that tastes good as opposed to looks fancy , I'd suggest you avoid the crown roast idea. Think about it -- the fat and meat side of the roast is on the inside, which means it won't brown or crisp up. If you fill the cavity with stuffing, it will be even worse -- you'll basically have underdone steamed pork, overdone stuffing and gelatinous fat. But it sure will make a handsome table presentation, particularly if you put those little paper frills on the bones.

If you're looking for a seriously tasty roast(and are willing to fork over a fair amount of $) get your meat from an heirloom Berkshire or Tamworth hog, get the biggest one you can and have your purveyor leave as much surface fat as possible. Then do as little as possible to it: Trim to your liking (minimally), season with coarse salt, black pepper & rosemary (if you like), tie between the ribs and roast until internal temp of about 135 - 140. Let rest -- temp will rise about another 10 degrees. Eat.

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/29 07:36:36 (permalink)
    Crown Roast is the way to go. To avoid the problem that rjb refers to is just roast as normal unstuffed. Do the stuffing in another pan then fill the cavity for presentation. If you buy your own loin and prep saving quite a bit of money, be sure to french the rib bones.
    Planning on having one for Christmas myself this year. The stuffing will be a cornbread and apple type. I've also seen the cavity filled with oven roasted potatos. Chow Jim
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/29 08:13:18 (permalink)
    These are all good suggestions, except I would never (repeat never) cook a pork roast at 400 degrees F. Way too hot. "Low and slow is the way to go." Near the end (not the beginning of the cooking cycle per Alton Brown), it is nice to char or crisp up the roast quickly. You can either then turn the oven up way high for 10 or 15 minutes, or I like the suggestion of putting it on the grill for a short while. But with the crown roast, indirect cooking on a hot grill would be needed to avoid drying it out.
    mapko
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/29 21:03:40 (permalink)
    My recipe for pork roast . This is done in the European style ( covered while roasting). Brown a salt and peppered 2-3 lb pork roast in heavy pan. Place into foil lined ( with enough overlap to cover) roasting pan. Cover roast with 2 large sliced onions and 2 large cored and sliced apples and a pinch (1/2 tsp ) caraway seeds. Cover and roast @350 deg for 45 minutes. Uncover and add 8 oz chicken broth and recover. Cook for additional 20 minutes till done. Remove roast from pan and thicken the rendered drippings with thickener of choice ( roux,corn starch etc). Slice roast into 1/4" slices and return to thickened gravy mixture. Serve with/over browned onion mashed potatoes. A cucumber salad ( sliced cucumbers, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar, sour cream and a splash of white vinegar) compliments this dish very well.

Mark ( Mapko)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/29 21:49:06 (permalink)
    Mapko
    Add the Sweet/Sour cabbage and dumplings and you have my Czech Pork Dinner at Bohemian Crystal not long ago! Very Good Pork. I had the choice of sliced as you describe, or 'chunks'. I selected the chunks.

brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/11/30 05:27:54 (permalink)
    With a crown roast we did a nice one last year. Serub fat side with oil and herbs/spices. Start at 450 and brown the meat(about 15-29 minutes). Remove and reduce temp to 275, Take a new red potatoe and cut out the bottom enough to slide over the bone(big enough the potato wont split)do this to all the frenched ribs and coat them with oil. Retorn to oven and after about an hour start basting every 15 min and check the internal temp of the roast and remove when it reads 159 degreees. If you want more potatoes make a batch of aygratin. Then remove the roast at 119 degrees. Fill the crown wih the augratin mix and top with cheese. Increase heat to 350 and let it go untill the chees browns. Let rest for 39 minutes.
    One time I filled the center wit blanched cauliflower that was coated wit melted butter and crumb/parmesian mix. then browned.
    Lots of optine.
    I still remember the Gandmothers crackling pork roast. The fat nice and bown and sprinkled with carraway seeds and surrounded by oven roast potatos. I could never replicate it the same.
    britt
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 22:44:09 (permalink)

On Food Network tonight (12/7) Paula Dean and Family did a Crown Roast of Pork as the center of the Family Christmas Dinner. I don't care what others think of the "TV personality", She did a spectacular job on one of the most attractive Pork Roasts I have ever seen. The stuffing was a Dried Fruit and fluffy rice (prepared ahead) combination and it was cooked (again) within the Roast. The individual serving slices were very attractive also. She also did some Bacon-Wrapped Whole Green Beans that looked good enough for me to try in the near future.
    desertdog
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/08 11:01:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

On Food Network tonight (12/7) Paula Dean and Family did a Crown Roast of Pork as the center of the Family Christmas Dinner. I don't care what others think of the "TV personality", She did a spectacular job on one of the most attractive Pork Roasts I have ever seen. The stuffing was a Dried Fruit and fluffy rice (prepared ahead) combination and it was cooked (again) within the Roast. The individual serving slices were very attractive also. She also did some Bacon-Wrapped Whole Green Beans that looked good enough for me to try in the near future.

Hey Al, Found the recipe on the website. That does sound good!

Pork Crown Roast with Stuffing Recipe

courtesy Paula Deen
    See this recipe on air Sunday Dec. 16 at 1:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: Food Network Specials
    Episode: Paula's Southern Christmas

16-rib crown roast of pork
    House Seasoning, to taste, recipe follows
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 tablespoon butter, melted
    2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
    1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    3/4 cup water
    1/2 cup chopped dried prunes
    1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
    Canned apricot halves, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Sprinkle roast on all sides with House Seasoning; place, bone ends up, in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer, making sure it does not touch fat or bone. Saute onion in butter until tender but not browned. Add rice, House Seasoning, to taste, and poultry seasoning and water to onion; stir to moisten rice. Bring rice mixture to a boil, then remove from heat. Cover tightly and let stand 10 minutes. Stir dried prunes and dried apricots into the rice mixture. Fill center of roast with rice mixture. Place a folded strip of aluminum foil over exposed ends of ribs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes per pound to until thermometer registers 170 degrees. Garnish with apricot halves, if desired.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2008/11/20 11:09:27 (permalink)

I am bringing back this thread because our local grocery chain (owned by Krogers) has Crown Rib Roasts (Pork) on sale this week for $1.89 a lb. The rib-bones are not 'Frenched', but the roasts are cut neatly, shaped, and tied. I picked up two this morning, both in the 14-16 lb range. One is already in the oven. I will cover the rib-bones to prevent burning, and plan to add already cooked stuffing to the 'core' when the Pork nears it's terminal temperature (150).
    The second will await the holiday feast to share the table with the usual Turkey !
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2008/11/20 12:26:13 (permalink)
    I cook our pork loin roasts to about 140-145 in the oven; hotter at first, say about 425, to develop a bit of a crust, then lower the temperature after 20 minutes or so to 325-350; depending on my mood. As stated, I remove at about 145, and let the roast rest until the temperature comes up to 150. The roast retains a slight pinkish tinge in the middle, the ends are more well done, for the squeamish ones in the crowd. Once the roast is at 150, it qualifies as medium well; and will be moist and juicy. Cooking a lean pork roast to the old standard temperature of 170 just guarantees a dry piece of meat.

I'll agree with stuffing the crown roasts AFTER cooking; for presentation only.

I barbecue and roast butt roasts with the bone low and slow, to a temp of at least 190, for easy pulling and slicing, but for a loin, 150 will do it.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pork Standing Rib Roast 2008/11/20 14:20:35 (permalink)

Wow, Talk about flavor!! 2.5 hours (one hour at just under 400, the rest at 300) Crusty but unbelieveably juicy in the 'fillet' interior. We kept the stuffing on the side for this first one....Janet and I and a couple of visiting kids will cut off pieces as needed thru this weekend.

I dusted it (top and reachable sides) with Season Salt, Garlic Salt, and Montreal Pepper Seasoning. NOT Heavily. While it is cooling now and the top crust is a bit 'hard' The roast does cut fairly easily. This is the first time I have done one of these 'alone' It is a great cut!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1