Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/07/12 18:56:57 (permalink)

Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

Where are the best of these to be found?? Also, if you can recommend a frozen custard shop in the same vicinity I'd be in heaven.

52 Replies Related Threads

Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/12 19:26:50 (permalink)
    Pork chop John's in Butte, Montana. See the Roadfood review.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/12 19:34:07 (permalink)
    Try Burkie's Drive In in Muncie, Indiana, its been known for its pork tenderloin sandwiches since the 50's (or maybe earlier, I'm not that old).

There was another old thread on the same subject. Someone on it was reminiscing about the “loins” at the late John’s Awful Awful Drive In. John’s was only a few miles from Burkie’s and always more popular. But it is Burkie’s that is still in business. John’s was better known for its “ham-a-rama” sandwich, anyway.

I had a pretty good loin sandwich at the California state fair a few years ago. It was called an Iowa Pork Sandwich. But the owners admitted that they got the idea from living in Indiana, they just thought that Californians would identify pork more with Iowa than Indiana.

Phil B.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/12 23:13:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Where are the best of these to be found?? Also, if you can recommend a frozen custard shop in the same vicinity I'd be in heaven.

To answer your question, I suspect the best can be found in my kitchen but the location will remain a secret. Actually, what I make is my version of Tonkatsu--but you could call it pork snitzle or whatever else you want. They make breaded, fried pork cutlet in just about every country on earth where pork is eaten (so as to leave out Israel and Muslim countries 'cause I don't want to offend anybody).

I just get "thin cut" boneless loin pork chops from the supermarket (Safeway), dredge 'em in flour first, then egg and finally bread crumbs. Then I pan fry them in either butter or peanut oil (depending on whether I'm aiming for the Japanese version which uses peanut oil or not). I like the result on bread with tartar sauce, but for the Japanese version you use bottled Tonkatsu sauce (Kikkoman is one maker) which has soy, plums and other stuff in it. It's quite good.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/12 23:48:47 (permalink)
    Rayme & BT, I don't want to sound like an old grouch, BUT a pork tenderloin sandwich is NOT made with any variety of pork chops (especially not ground ones)! It is made with a pork tenderloin. I guess it is a Midwest thing (Indiana, Illinois, Iowa especially).

You buy the cut of meat called a pork tenderloin, slice it cross-grain in 1" to 2" thick slices and then pound it very thin. Then you bread it with flour, egg, cracker-crumbs or bread-crumbs like you would fried chicken and pan-fry in about an inch of oil (turning it over when the first side is beginning to brown) or deep fry it until crisp on the outside. We have several places around the Peoria area that brag about how large theirs are, and they can get to be the size of a dinner plate, which means that, even with an oversize bun, there is more outside of the bun than underneath it. It is normally topped with your choice of catsup, yellow mustard, dill pickle slices and onion slices, though I have known some people to use lettuce, tomato slices, and mayo on it.

Places reviewed on Roadfood.com serving tenderloins are: Cecils Cafe in Marshalltown, IA; Kirkwood Corner Coffee Shop in Des Moines, IA; Smitty's Tenderloin Shop in Des Moines, IA; Gnaw Bone Food and Fuel in Gnaw Bone, IN; Mr. Daves in North Manchester, IN; Mug & Bun Drive-In in Indianapolis, IN; and Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN.

A pork chop sandwich or a ground pork sandwich or a pork fritter sandwich (UGH) are all something else!
    Marco
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/13 04:13:14 (permalink)
    Hi! Hope you don't mind a new kid on the block (me), joining in on this topic. I'm from Indiana and pork tenderloin sandwiches are actually a part of our culture.

There are two different kinds of tenderloins, breaded and grilled. The breaded are very popular. There are restaurants closeby the have breaded tenderloins as big as dinner plates. An area meat market sells breaded tenderloin patties in the service meat case. I believe most Hoosiers will tell you that the best way to eat a tenderloin is on an oversized bun with mayo, lettuce, onion, pickle and a tomato slice is optional. Yellow mustard is almost mandatory (save the fancy mustard for bratwurst). When I make 'em, a couple of strips of bacon is tasty.

Deep frying is the only good way to cook a tenderlion. Being a purist, I deep fry in lard. Yes, they're heartbusters to be sure, and probably politically incorrect as well, but darned fine eating.

Practically and mom and pop restaurant in Indiana can fix you right up. Be sure it's a mom & pop places and never order a tenderloin from a chain restaurant.

Another good place to go for tenderloins is Dave's in North Manchester, IN. For several years running, his tenderloins were names the best in the U.S., as he cuts the meat himself fresh each day.
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/13 09:01:11 (permalink)
    Joensy's in Solon Iowa
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/13 14:54:49 (permalink)
    Any good places in Ft. Wayne?
    kschatterbox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/13 16:28:58 (permalink)
    NuWay Cafe in Wichita, Ks has some good pork tender sandwich. They put their homemade bbq sauce on it. Its the best with their homemade onino rings and homemade rootbeer :)
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/13 16:33:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

I had the fried pork tenderloin at the Mug N Bun in Indy, and I found it to be dry and tasteless.

Their root beer and onion rings were outstanding.

I agree. I had a tenderloin from Mug N Bun about 6 months ago and it was like the the things I use to find outside the midwest; bland, dry, cardboard-like consistancy. Something has changed because I use to order their tenderloins all the time several years ago and they were some of the best in Indy. I will probably give them another chance though since its possible we just hit them on an off night.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/13 17:34:35 (permalink)
    Most tenderloins walk a fine line between "truly delicious" and "pig jerky." Unless you're at one of the places that uses processed, shaped-and-formed pork patties, expect the occasional dud.

My favorite tenderloins are both in Iowa: the Ja-Mar Drive In in Fort Dodge and Oscar's in Hiawatha. Never got a "pork-flavored chew-toy" at either one.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/14 01:44:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

Rayme & BT, I don't want to sound like an old grouch, BUT a pork tenderloin sandwich is NOT made with any variety of pork chops (especially not ground ones)! It is made with a pork tenderloin. I guess it is a Midwest thing (Indiana, Illinois, Iowa especially).

You buy the cut of meat called a pork tenderloin, slice it cross-grain in 1" to 2" thick slices and then pound it very thin. Then you bread it with flour, egg, cracker-crumbs or bread-crumbs like you would fried chicken and pan-fry in about an inch of oil (turning it over when the first side is beginning to brown) or deep fry it until crisp on the outside. We have several places around the Peoria area that brag about how large theirs are, and they can get to be the size of a dinner plate, which means that, even with an oversize bun, there is more outside of the bun than underneath it. It is normally topped with your choice of catsup, yellow mustard, dill pickle slices and onion slices, though I have known some people to use lettuce, tomato slices, and mayo on it.

Places reviewed on Roadfood.com serving tenderloins are: Cecils Cafe in Marshalltown, IA; Kirkwood Corner Coffee Shop in Des Moines, IA; Smitty's Tenderloin Shop in Des Moines, IA; Gnaw Bone Food and Fuel in Gnaw Bone, IN; Mr. Daves in North Manchester, IN; Mug & Bun Drive-In in Indianapolis, IN; and Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN.

A pork chop sandwich or a ground pork sandwich or a pork fritter sandwich (UGH) are all something else!

Well there are two kinds of pork loin. There's pork tenderloin which is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and maybe 12 inches long and is a darkish meat (it's actually the psoas muscle of the pig for any anatomists out there). Then there's pork loin roast--from which loin chops are cut which is much larger (maybe 5 or 6 inches diameter and 15 inches long) and white meat. So loin pork chops are pork loin--same cut--but they are NOT tenderloin. However, given the size of the tenderloin, no matter how flat/thin you smash it, I see no way you can come out with something the size of the piece of meat on most of the loin sandwiches I've seen--and what I've seen is a white meat, not the darkish tenderloin. So I think they are using slices of the cut known as a loin roast--which is what the boneless loin chops that I use are. And the way I prepare then, as I said, is pretty much what you describe except that I usually do not bother pounding them--they are melt-in-your-mouth tender without it. One could certainly do the same thing with tenderloin, but if you tried to smash it to, as you say, the size of a dinner plate, I think you'd come out with a mangled pulpy mess.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/15 16:20:01 (permalink)
    I concurr with Tristan and the Ballpark Roadtripper, the tenderloin sandwich at Mug n Bun was nothing special, at least when I went there back in May of 2003.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/15 17:09:31 (permalink)
    I love seeing the GnawBone Indiana Tenderloin on the 'Hit of the Day' That place is outstanding in my book. Put it at the top of my list!
    cashmeer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/29 21:29:26 (permalink)
    made a special trip to Jonseys last fall because we heard the tenderloins were good.........they weren"t........don't waste your time...
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/29 21:54:49 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    The best one I can ever remember having was one I ate in a small, unpretentious cafe in Oquawka, Illinois - a block uphill from the Mississippi River and a block downhill from the county courthouse (and the on-the-lawn grave of an elephant that was struck by lightning when the circus was in town in some time like 1902!). It ran clear out off the edges of the bun and practically melted in my mouth. (This was the fried and breaded variety, by the way.)
    Another excellent one was to be had in Monmouth, Illinois at a place that only had a sign that read "HOME OF WYATT EARP" - no name, no nothing. That one was thinner and immense in its plainlike flatness. Y'all Sterns wrote about that in a previous book: "Must be seen to be believed," I gushed.
    Around here, pork tenderloin is served breaded and fried for breakfast, not in sandwiches for lunch. Goodness. What we're missing. Most of us Georgians don't know a good pea salad from Uncle Waldo, either. Reckon we lose out twic't, don't we?
    Wishfully Crunchingly, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens, Georgia.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/30 01:52:10 (permalink)
    Yeah, us Suthnas don't know what we're missing. We had or have, not sure if it closed or not, a restaurant (Northern Exposure) in Knoxville, TN specializing in food from the Midwest & up north. No tenderloins, though. How real can that be?

carl reitz
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/30 15:19:03 (permalink)
    Ort, thanks for that post. I had a friend who picked up a piece of that elephant's dung in 1974. Oops, sorry, folks! Both these places are on my route next week.

For that matter, the Keokuk, IA Chamber of Commerce website says "the biggest pork tenderloin sandwich of all" is in Keokuk, but when I emailed them to ask WHERE there was no response. Cranky chamber of commerce!
    d banana
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/30 16:38:54 (permalink)
    Well, usually I avoid chain and fast-food restaurants, but if you'd like to try a pork tenderloin and frozen custard at the same place, there is a Wisconsin chain called Culver's which has recently expanded to Illinois and maybe other places, for all I know. They have good pork tenderloins and acceptable custard. I'd also recommend a lemon ice with fruit while there.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/07/30 16:47:56 (permalink)
    But what about the elephant? I want to know about the elephant! If it's dung lasted for 72 years it must have been quite a beast!

Sherp
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/08/25 07:29:51 (permalink)

"Deep frying is the only good way to cook a tenderlion. Being a purist, I deep fry in lard. Yes, they're heartbusters to be sure, and probably politically incorrect as well, but darned fine eating."

I agree with the deep frying bit, but lard?! I use canola oil, zero cholesterol. Is there really a taste difference?

Tom, in Boise
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/08/25 08:27:10 (permalink)
    I had something that was different Monday at Fatz Cafe in Florence, SC. It was a breaded pork cutlet fried and served over red skinned mashed potatoes with cream gravy over top of it. It was served with a bowl of coleslaw and poppy seed rolls with honey butter. This was very good. The port cutlet was almost fork tender and the gravy had a great flavor.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/01 20:05:15 (permalink)
    Have the Stern's reviewed any tenderloin establishments?
    jploev
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/01 21:30:49 (permalink)
    Hey, folks. The way that you would create a cutlet 'the size of a dinnerplate' is to cut perhaps a 2" - 2.5" slice of pork loin (by the way, B.T. is correct -- these could only be loin and not tenderloin). Once cut, simply butterfly the piece by slicing down the middle of the fillet, stopping about 1/2 - 3/4 inch from the bottom. Then open the fillet, splaying it into a flat mass and pound with a mallet until a reasonable thickness (maybe 3/16" - 1/4"). You control the eventual overall diameter by choosing how many inches to cut from the loin. I've read a lot about these pork sammies and look forward to trying one when I'm in the Midwest.

This is my first entry to the site and as an L.A. - based foodie, culinary grad and ex-restaurant critic, I look forward to sharing whatever knowledge and enthusiasm I have with you all.

Culinarily yours,

-- JPL
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/01 23:05:25 (permalink)
    Welcome, JP. If you like to eat, you're welcome here. We're an easy goin' bunch. Just watch what you put ketchup on and salt in.
    Bill
    rwarn17588
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/01 23:05:46 (permalink)
    The best tenderloin sandwich I've had, bar none, was at the late, great Elam's in Decatur, Ill., on the main east-west drag of Eldorado. This was a drive-up place with intercoms to order the food (before Sonic started doing it) and made its own root beer.

Elam's closed not because of lack of business; indeed, the place always was packed in the summertime with families and custom-car cruisers. It's just that the owner had children, and none of them wanted to take over the business when he got old. It closed in late 1980s -- much to the regret of many central Illinoisans.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/01 23:27:25 (permalink)
    JPL, I always find it interesting when someone decides to join this site and post. I would not have expected an LA food critic to post about tenderloins, but I am glad you did and hope you will continue. And thanks for your tenderloin expertise. I grew up with them, but they are not available in the south so I have to make my own.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/02 08:23:39 (permalink)
    quote:

Have the Stern's reviewed any tenderloin establishments?
    Yep.

Here's a few (not all) of them
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1392
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=652
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1321
    carlton pierre
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/02 12:42:16 (permalink)
    TJ, thanks for the info and the links. Are there any tenderloin places in the Cicy ara that you know of?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2004/12/02 12:46:26 (permalink)
    quote:

TJ, thanks for the info and the links. Are there any tenderloin places in the Cicy ara that you know of?

I would think cincy is a little too far south of the Tenderloin Belt which from my understanding is between I-70-1-80 between indiana and Nebraska.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1