Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 39
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/04/30 16:08:28 (permalink)
Please look at the pic of the onion rings.

See the rolling tentacles? See the eye of the octopus towards the top middle?

It's like a deep fried rorshach test
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6431
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/04/30 19:40:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

As easy as these things are to make, I am amazed that this current thread is now at 11 pages. Is it that, or is the thrill in finding places that serve them? An innocent question, as no retail establishments serve the same within any reasonable distance from me.

I don't know about easy. I have sampled over 30 but would only go back for maybe a half dozen or so because most restaurants do not make them well.

The breaded pork tenderloin sandwich seems to be a heartland phenomenom with the epicenter at Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. You then find them at the periphery states to those three as I have discovered in Minnesota but they die out very quickly after that. If you go elsewhere in the USA you will find the restaurant owner is probably from the "I" states. Maybe more will take heed from these boards and spread the word.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/04 08:00:16 (permalink)
I had another tenderloin at Lyon's Pub yesterday. They are steadily improving. More impressive is it looks as if they have a great pulled pork sandwich which is also a new addition.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/14 12:46:33 (permalink)
Would you believe it? I haven't had a pork tenderloin sandwich in nearly two weeks! That Lyon's Pub pulled pork sandwich I mentioned in the previous message is what I had last week. It came with cheddar cheese and crispy fried onions topping. It was very good.

In just a short 11 days from this posting I will be on my annual Indy 500 trek. I plan to take a southern then eastern route through Iowa to Indianapolis so will be stopping for lunch in Iowa to try one of theirs. Then in Indy I will have a few more so will be updating my web page with new samplings in early June. Of course I will be loading them here with commentary. So heads up.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pork_Tenderloins.html
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/14 13:49:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

I plan to take a southern then eastern route through Iowa to Indianapolis so will be stopping for lunch in Iowa to try one of theirs. Then in Indy I will have a few more so will be updating my web page with new samplings in early June. Of course I will be loading them here with commentary. So heads up.

Davydd,

If you make it to Smitty's in Desmoines, I would love to hear what you thought since I hope to make it there next year. My only experience with pork tenderloins was at Mug n Bun in Indy and it was nothing short of dissapointing (however the Root Beer was good!) Also any good advice on the best Tenderloins in Indy would be helpful since I've been thinking (just thinking, nothing planned in stone yet) of heading there labor day weekend!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/14 19:32:28 (permalink)
WJ,

If you study this thread carefully I have expressed my opinons on the Hoosier state. After my yearly trip I will most likely have updates for you. For now, if you visit Indiana you should go to Nick's Kitchen where it all started and still has the best tenderloin to date. The Mug'n'Bug gets a lot of publicity, is in the Stern's Roadfoad book and was featured in Jensen Rufe's documentary, "In Search of the Hoosier Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich", so is going to get repetitive build upon comment by many that may never have been there. I could easily add to that heap since it is my home town of Speedway but I have not had one since my ressurrection tour of my youth started last year. So I will hold off until I visit again. Yes, I have been there numerous times many years ago. In Speedway alone there are a half dozen other places in regular restaurants. My Indianapolis rankings so far are...

Billy O'Neal's on West 10th (and not because it is name after a high school classmate of mine)
Nickel Plate, Fishers (It was also the Indy Men's Magazine winner last year out of 64 restaurant samplings)
Grindstone Charley's on Crawfordsville Road (Where we have our annual Speedway HS reunion--yes annual)
The Union Jack, Speedway
Indy 500 Brickyard Crossing (Featured on Food Network's Food Finds and looked great but I must have been there on an off day)

This year I will repeat at Grindstone Charley's and probably will try Muldoon's in Carmel since my sister claims it is better than the Nickel Plate and I am trying to convince a new Irish Pub in Excelsior, MN to put one on their menu.. Also, I am going to try to get to the Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel, another Roadfood book myth maker and regular publicity write up. Great name. I want to know how the tenderloin stacks up. If I stop it will be right after an after wedding Sunday brunch in Floyd's Knob, IN. Love those names.

I may have to stop at the Mug'n'Bun or it will hang over my head for another year. Other places I have heard with recommendations but not been to are MicGilvery's, Green Street Pub in Brownsburg, Red Onion in Sheridan, and Shallo's.

On the way to Indy I will bypass Des Moines but am going to try stopping at Joensy's in Solon, IA midway between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I've seen photos and they make a gigantic tenderloin. I will see how it tastes. Smitty's in Des Moines and Darrell's in Hamlin, IA could be later this summer on a weekend side trip. Those three seem to be Iowa's contenders.

My impressions so far. Minnesota tries but doesn't get it when Culver's can be at the top of the list. Iowa seems to be reputed with small cafes and roadsides. I'm not all sure they have quality but they sure show quantity. Illinos is caught between the two giant claimants, Iowa and Indiana but will go Bohemian open face style on you around Chicago. Indiana takes their tenderloin seriously and they can be found in their better restaurants that are a cut above sports bars and pubs. In Indiana you can't go into a sports bar or pub without one on the menu.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/20 10:54:21 (permalink)
I prepared some tenderloins back in March, of which one was my hangover tenderloin a page or two back. I had two breaded tenderloins unfried leftover that I stuck in the freezer. Last week for Mother's Day I was going to fry them up but found out we were out of oil. So, I lightly oiled a pizza pan with what little oil we had and baked the tenderloins for 1/2 hour at 400 degrees turning them once. They came out surprisingly good and maybe a tad healthier.

Counting down 5 days to the great Indy tenderloin tour of 2006.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1038
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/20 12:53:03 (permalink)
I just saw an article on the web version of my hometown newspaper, the Muncie, Ind. Star Press, about a local roodfood institution, Burkie's Drive-in, that just reopened after a fire. It said that their famous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich sells for $2.47 for the jumbo version. Last week I paid $6.99 for a smaller version of the same thing here in Northern Cal., except it was called a pork schinsel(sp) sandwich. Plus it was precooked then reheated on a grill. WTF!
jchiszar
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/24 17:14:33 (permalink)
Unfortunately my trip to Indy was shortened by bad weather. I did, however, enjoy a Flagroom 'loin at the Brickyard Crossing. Not the best, but still good.
I never did get my track 'loin. My brother showed up with the grill and cooked chops, brats, and hotdogs.
Dang...I really wanted a track 'loin.
captain_keevin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/24 17:47:02 (permalink)
Well, down in Southern Indiana, which has been called the most southern of the northern states(and I emphasize SOUTHERN)almost every little mom & pop restaurant has JUMBO tenderloins. When my son moved to Texas, he told me there were several foods that he missed and couldn't find where he lived and breaded tenderloins were one. So when he comes home, he has to have several. They are wonderful loaded with condiments and torn off and eaten piece by piece. The other things he really missed are Hoosier vine-ripened tomatoes, pizza (our favorite place--Bobe's in Vincennes & Washington, Indiana has a recipe that supposedly came from Italy during WW 2), and Hoosier fried chicken from The Chicken Place in Ireland, Indiana. Mmmm--good Hoosier hospitality!
JENKINS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/24 19:21:06 (permalink)
THE REAL WAY TO MAKE PROK TENDERLOINS

BEING A BROOKLYN BOY LURED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN IOWA BY A MIDWEST FARMER"S DAUGHTER, THEN OPENING UP A NEW YORK STYLE PIZZAREA AFTER GRADUATING, ONE THING I MAKE BETTER THEN ANY IOWA DINER IS A PORK TENDERLOIN. ITS REALLY SIMPLE. BUY PRECUT BONELESS CENTER CUT PORK CHOPS. REMOVE THE THIN MEMBRANE AND ANY FAT ON THE EDGE.
PUT THE PORK T BETWEEN TWO THICK PIECES OF SARAN WRAP AND USE A SMALL WOODEN CUTTING BOARD { MY MOTHER IN LAW IN TAMA IOWA WHOSE RECEPIE THIS IS USES A WOODEN ROLLING PIN}, AND POUND THE MEAT OUT TO ABOUT A THIRD OF AN INCH THICK. NEXT, DIP IN BEATEN EGGS. THEN, AND HERE IS THE SECRET TO A PERFECT TENDERLOIN. CRUSH A STACK OF SALTINE CRACKERS IN A PLASTIC BAG UNTIL MEDIUN FINE, AND DIP THE EGGED MEAT INTO THE CRACKER CRUMBS. REPEAT THE DIPPING PROCESS, AND ALLOW THE PORK TO SIT IN THE FRIDGE 15 MINUTES. MELT SOME CRISCO SHORTENING OR LIQUID CORN OIL IN A LARGE SKILLET AND FRY UNTILL GOLDEN ON EACH SIDE. SERVE ON OVERSIZE HAMBERGER BUNS WITH YELLOW AMERICAN CHEESE, MUSTARD, MAYO, AND TOMATO SLICES. ENJOY!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/24 22:21:43 (permalink)
jchiszar,

I WILL have a track Loin. It could be Friday on Carb day or at THE RACE Sunday. But I will have one. Tomorrow night, if all goes well, I will be polishing off a pork tenderloin sandwich at Muldoon's in Carmel, IN. Heading out in the early AM.

JENKINS,

Welcome to the forum. I see your first post. BTW, I may have my first Iowa pork tenderloin tomorrow on the way to Indy. It will most likely be Joensy's in Solon, IA. The Hoosiers, in my opinion, still make the best tenderloins. Iowa shortcuts the process too much from everything I have read but we will see. Having studied the recipes from the best, and put them to the test, I think I know what makes the best. This is my conclusion from several tastes tests and experiments.

My Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Recipe Tutorial
http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/29 22:13:28 (permalink)
Last Thursday I drove to Indianapolis from Minneapolis via Iowa just to try Iowa's self-billed "biggest and best" tenderloin in Iowa at Joensy's in Solon, IA. It indeed was BIG. I was full before I got to the bun. The price was right too, super in fact, at $5 for the tenderloin with cole slaw and fries. The best? Well, maybe in Iowa. The loin itself tasted OK but was dry and had little flavor. The breading was a corn meal and commercial bread crumb texture with little flavor. All in all it was better than most fare that can be found in Minnesota but later I hit the jackpot in Indiana with three, read THREE, winners in a row that I will tell you about later... But for now, look and enjoy. I did say big.

Joensy's Tenderloin

Joensy's Building Sign
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/30 16:32:33 (permalink)
OK, continuing the pursuit. It was Joensy's for lunch and when I got to Indiana it was out for dinner, a late dinner. I didn't know if I had it in me. My sister said Muldoon's in Carmel, IN was better than the Nickel Plate in Fishers, IN, the winner of last year's Indy Men's Magazine pork tenderloin sandwich taste off.

So Muldoon's it was. And I had my first two tenderloin day. My oh my, was it big...and delicious! This one may have topped the one I had at Billy O'Neal's last year that I bragged so much about. It left Iowa's biggest and best in the dust.

I managed to down it. The meat was tender and moist and the breading was flakey, delicious and spiced just right to give it an overall excellent flavor. The downside is it was one of the priciest tenderloins I ever had and it only came with chips, no fries or cole slaw. I believe the price was $8.75.

Here it is. Enjoy!

I'm not done. It gets better. I said three and there are two to go.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/30 17:20:49 (permalink)
Now it is Friday night before the Indianapolis 500 race. I trained all day for this. I didn't eat. We had our annual Speedway High School Class of 1962 reunion at Grindstone Charley's on Crawfordsville Road in Speedway, IN. This year's tenderloin was a major, major improvement over last year's tenderloin that you can find in this thread a year ago. I was surprised. It made me quickly forget Muldoon's. It was every bit as good, maybe better. It came with the fries and cole slaw at $7.95. I was a happy man. The special menu for our reunion even had the sandwich named after me. :) That was a surprise arranged by one of my old classmates.

Ah, but the best for last. We are not done in Indiana. There is one more...
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/30 17:43:25 (permalink)
The Red Onion in Sheridan, IN north of Carmel and Indianapolis was our last stop. How could one arrange a procession of breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches that got progressively better? Well, it happened. We went out with one of our reunion classmates to this country town amongst the corn fields. The Red Onion is not an impressive restaurant. It is located out on the small two lane highway outside of Sheridan in a non-discrept srip center.

However, the food was billed as made from scratch. That meant everything was prepared on site fresh including the buns. The cover of the menu unabashedly said "Indiana's Best Tenderloin". I don't think they were wrong. It was every bit as good as any I had. Not only was it good but the bun was dinner plate size and the tenderloin itself might have been the biggest yet.

That's my Iowa/Indiana saga. I waited too long to have a Track Loin at the Indy 500 race itself. It was just too dang hot to think about food. It was even too hot for beer! All I wanted was water. But at the end of the race I valiantly decided I had to have one. Alas! they were sold out. Could there be more fanatical people demanding those tenderloins on such a hot 90 degree day?

Recap photos and slide show of all the tenderloins are now at...

http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com

No comments, just pictures. Comments are here.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/05/31 19:25:34 (permalink)
It's a pint of Guinness. I drink that or Boddington's Pub Ale if anyone has it. In Minnesota I will have Summit Pale Ale on tap.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/05 11:17:39 (permalink)
After the Indianapolis 500 race we went to Washington DC, camped in Shenandoah National Park and attended a wedding in Louisville. We are now in Michigan on our way to camping in the Upper Peninsula where we will switch to pastie tasting. Between Louisville and Michigan we managed to stop at the legendary Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel in Brown County, Indiana to try their pork tenderloin sandwich. I will post a picture later when I have better access to the internet but if anyone wants to see the Indy 500 2006 Tour results including the Gnaw Bone tenderloin they are posted on...

janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/05 18:17:21 (permalink)
Looks good David, The meat is dark though. It looks juicy I know that they use a broaster to cook the tenderloins. I love broasted chicken but have not had broasted tenderloins. All the pics look great. I am anxious to see your pick of pasties. have a good time...
JeanAnne
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/08 20:54:23 (permalink)
Back from two days camping in the Michigan Upper Peninsula and eating microwaved pasties for dinner that we bought from the Mackinaw City Pastie Shop and Susies, the first stop after the bridge on the UP. We have a microwave and fridge in our Sprinter camper van. We camped at Tahquamenon Falls State Park at the eastern end of the UP and Porcupine Mountains Wilderness SP on the western end.

The Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel in Gnaw Bone, IN was my last stop for the Indy 2006 Tour. My wife puts up with this. We managed to make it there last Sunday morning on the way from Louisville to Midland, MI. Since it was so soon after breakfast I actually split this one with my wife. Duty calls and we had to stop and try one. The Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel tenderloin is prepared differently. It is broasted. I'm not sure what that means but it is a patented method mainly for chicken from a company that sells broasters out of Wisconsin. The breading was more like a batter than a breading. The taste was good. It was not by any means the best on this trip. But it was a Hoosier favorite that gets lots of publicity from time to time to where it has established a cult legendary status. So here are the pics...

Gnaw Bone Tenderloin

Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel

Now that the 2006 Indy Tour is over that actually started last February with Nick's Kitchen. Here is how I rate them. Jean Anne needs to know.

1. Nick's Kitchen, Huntington, IN
2. Red Onion, Sheridan, IN
3. Grindstone Charley's, Speedway - a surprise 3rd and major improvement over 2005.
4. Muldoon's, Carmel, IN
5. Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel
6. Joensy's, Solon, IA (not part of Indy but it was on the tour)
7. End Zone, Hayward, WI (I'm not finished--I found another one--later_
8. Tony's, Angola, IN - Not really a tenderloin but a fritter.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/08 21:14:38 (permalink)
As I mentioned we spent two night camping in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, first at Tahqaumenon Falls State Park at the eastern end and then at Porcupine Mountains Wilderness SP at the western end. I recommend them both, btw. We survived on pasties. So coming out of the wilderness we had to drive right through jchiszar territory of Hayward, Wisconsin, another beautiful territory. It was just about lunch time so we headed for the End Zone Sports Bar south of Hayward on Highway 63 heading to Spooner. Jeff mentioned this place in previous posts and I had made note. At 11:15 AM we were apparently the only customers on this Thursday day. I told the waiter I drove over 3,000 miles just to try their sandwich. They call their sandwich a breaded pork loin, not a tenderloin. It was honest. The pork loin is a cut of meat somewhere between a tenderloin and a pork chop on my scale. It is often sold as pork loin cutlets in supermarkets. They are lean but not quite as tender. Taste wise they are not all that different. The End Zone pork loin had a very good breading. If tenderized (pounded) it was not a lot. The cut was thick and slightly bigger than the bun. I had no problem with this sandwich and Jeff is in good stead in the Wisconsin north woods. Here it is...

End Zone breaded pork loin sandwich

Next week Texas and I have a bead on a tenderloin in Houston.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/08 22:38:07 (permalink)
quote:

Next week Texas and I have a bead on a tenderloin in Houston.

Mr. Mayor took me to Gnaw Bone, and that was the real deal.

Please report back on the Houston tenderloin. Pork tenderloin sandwiches are almost non-existent down here in Tejas, and I'd love to put another good one on my list.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/10 12:49:41 (permalink)
The Texas breaded pork tenderloin sandwich I found is the Heights Camphouse Bar-BQ in Houston. This is the review I found:

http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2005-01-13/dining/plate.html

It is near one of the places I will be. If anyone in Houston wants to be an advance scout this weekend I would appreciate it.

I've been told there are other pork tenderloin sandwich places around Fort Worth and Weatherford but I will not be in that area and I could not find anything on the web.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4614
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/10 13:46:03 (permalink)
I finally had the BPT at one of the two local Culver's last night.....not too good, very bland.....

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/13 22:53:44 (permalink)
As you may have figured out by now I will go just about anyplace to pursue a pork tenderloin sandwich. The place this time is Heights Camphouse Bar-BQ located on White Oak Drive in the Heights district of Houston, Texas North of I-10 and just east of Heights Parkway near and northwest of downtown. They bill their sandwich on the menu as a pork loin burger for $3.25. When we asked for it they said it is like a chicken fried steak only it is pork and has no gristle. :)

The place is actually a cafeteria style place without liquor. I noticed most customers came in for take out. The outside as you will see here is plain and economical. Inside it looks retro 1950s to me. It was kind of a shock when we first entered. As it turned out the sandwich tasted great. It was better than "Iowa's biggest and best" reported here recently. It had the narly look of a chicken fried steak. I talked to the young aspiring cook and showed him some pictures of the Red Onion and Muldoon's tenderloins for challenge and encouragement to meet our expectations and we exchanged some recipe ideas. They came through.

Actually I was in Houston on business not more than a mile away from this cafeteria. So I could not pass it up even though my expense allowance would have let me eat anywhere I pleased. This place pleased me.

Heights Camphouse Bar-BQ Pork Loin Sandwich

Heights Camphouse Bar-BQ, Houston, TX
fire30
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/14 11:56:22 (permalink)
Does anyone know where I can find a Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwitch in the South Florida area? You know the Hoosier type. I live in Davie but willing to travel a little for the sandwitch I grew up on. Thanks Dave fire30@bellsouth.net
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/14 12:31:26 (permalink)
In Broward County he wants a pork sandwich? Oy vey! Wouldn't you like better some nice chop liver?

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/15 21:12:41 (permalink)
Dang, now do I have to now go hunt one up in Florida?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/22 21:00:21 (permalink)
I keep noticing that above my two star posting count and under my name I am a "Cheeseburger". I haven't had a cheeseburger in over 12 years. I assume next I would be a "Double Cheeseburger". I would rather be a "Breaded Pork Tenderloin".
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/06/22 21:31:37 (permalink)
quote:

I keep noticing that above my two star posting count and under my name I am a "Cheeseburger". I haven't had a cheeseburger in over 12 years. I assume next I would be a "Double Cheeseburger". I would rather be a "Breaded Pork Tenderloin".

Davydd,

I look forward to trying a BPT on a quick lunch stopover at Smitty's in Des Moines on my Cardinal's/Twins Ballpark trip towards labor day weekend. Of course I'm virtually a BPT Virgin and will only have the BPT at Mug N Bun to compare it to which wasn't so great. I'll be in the Twin Cities too, however I won't be looking for BPT's there, just Walleye and Scandinavian Specialties.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1