Hot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 20
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/26 14:32:14
The runner-up in the BPT is in my home-town area of Humboldt, IA!
http://www.humboldtnews.com/main.asp?SectionID=12&SubSectionID=12&ArticleID=4570

Need go visit the place whenever we return to see family, ...
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/27 10:16:32
I had the Rustix BPT yesterday on my tear through Iowa. The Larsen Pub tenderloin was definitely better. But the best was not even on the nomination list of 44 this year. More later.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/28 22:13:03
I prepared a very lengthy report on my Iowa breaded pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit and it can be found here on Roadfood.com.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23122

Restaurants and diners covered were.

The Farmer's Kitchen, Atlantic, IA - 2005 IPPA honorable mention for best breaded pork tenderloin sandwich
Larsen's Pub, Elk Horn, IA - 2007 IPPA winner
Darrell's Place, Hamlin, IA - 2003 IPPA winner
Rustix Restaurant, Humboldt, IA 2007 IPPA second place
Suzie-Q Cafe, Mason City, IA
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/31 15:56:43
This is Hank and Sharon's Giant Tenderloins on the East Side of Des Moines: its big, salty, and has lots of crumbs.

I think bigger is not always better, and this 12 ounce jumbo sandwich isn't the best in Des Moines.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/31 19:44:07
trzhotel,

That does look as advertised on their sign, a real tenderloin. It looks as if it was butterfly cut from the tenderloin (not pork loin). Most every "tenderloin" I sampled on my recent trip in Iowa was cut from pork loin. The only one I did not verify was the one from the Suzie-Q Cafe. In fact most breaded pork tenderloins are actually pork loin. I guess you can call them tenderloins if you tenderize them.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/31 20:32:27
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

trzhotel,

That does look as advertised on their sign, a real tenderloin. It looks as if it was butterfly cut from the tenderloin (not pork loin). Most every "tenderloin" I sampled on my recent trip in Iowa was cut from pork loin. The only one I did not verify was the one from the Suzie-Q Cafe. In fact most breaded pork tenderloins are actually pork loin. I guess you can call them tenderloins if you tenderize them.

Thanks for clearing that up. I once posted on the other BPT thread that I had seen the TV show on BPT's and they had tenderized pork loin meat. Two posters told me I was stupid and did not know what I was talking about. Having worked in a grocery store meat dept. in high school and having worked summers from college in a meat packing plant, I know something about the subject.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/10/31 22:14:16
plb,

"other BPT thread"?

Anyway there is probably a good reason the pork loin is used. It is considerably cheaper at least in grocery stores. Pork tenderloins run as much as 50% higher in cost per pound over pork loin including already trimmed cutlets. Most of the diners and restaurants sell the sandwiches pretty cheap. The second reason it is easier to slice a pork loin and tenderize it. The pork tenderloin needs to be butterfly cut to achieve that hang over look.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/11/15 16:57:30
Davydd,

I have found a place in Richmond, Indiana you can cross off your list to try.

The Powerhouse Restaurant in Richmond, Indiana.

They claim to have the best BPT in the region.... What that region would be I haven't a clue.

The BPT was hand pounded flat (my credit card was thicker than the meat )
Breaded in this half salt, quarter flour & quarter corn meal mixture.
Was dry and SALTY enough I killed a 64 Ice Tea before I choked down half the sandwich.

This was my second attempt at this place. No More!

So Davydd when in the area look fro a BPT else where and skip the Powerhouse.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/11/15 17:06:41
Maybe the region ended where the driveway met the street.

Half salt? I use little on no salt in my breading but a lot of pepper. Corn meal is also probably the least favorite breading. Joensy's in Solon, Iowa was mostly corn meal and it too was pounded extremely flat to make it fill a platter.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/11/16 12:41:44
They were doing some street work nearby, maybe they used the steam roller to flatten it out. The breading was twice as thick as the meat was PER SIDE.

You can definately SKIP that one.
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/04 17:52:21
Looks like we only have until this Saturday, December 7, to sample the famous (once voted best Tenderloin in Indy by Indianapolis Monthly Magazine readers) pork tenderloin sandwich at The Diner. It's at the Hendricks/Marion counties line on US40. An old RR car diner. I hope someone with some cooking savvy comes to rescue and turns it into something that can be featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives".

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/LOCAL0505/712040441/1006/LOCAL

Greg
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/04 20:05:03
quote:
Originally posted by gregsgoatfarm

Looks like we only have until this Saturday, December 7, to sample the famous (once voted best Tenderloin in Indy by Indianapolis Monthly Magazine readers) pork tenderloin sandwich at The Diner. It's at the Hendricks/Marion counties line on US40. An old RR car diner. I hope someone with some cooking savvy comes to rescue and turns it into something that can be featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives".

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071204/LOCAL0505/712040441/1006/LOCAL

Greg

I caught that and reported it earlier in the Roadfood News board. To be honest I had not heard of the Diner in Plainfield and no one had mentioned it before in an Indy excentric tenderloin thread on another forum. I guess this one got away from me.
Ms. Tenderloin
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 00:32:04
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board
A little history: One of the first food memories I have from childhood that I can vividly remember is eating a tenderloin sandwich sitting on a little spinning stool in Woolworth's Dime Store in Illinois when I was around three years old. That was 45 years ago. I ate probably a 1000 tenderloins up home before moving down South. I've been down here in Texas about 34 years now and can't believe that no one has yet opened a restaurant named 'Tenderloins' down here for all of us YANKEES!

Finally after 30 years trying off and on down here in Texas I made the perfect breaded pork tenderloin sandwich this evening!

I've tried various recipes over the years with ingredients such as buttermilk, Japanese Panko bread crumbs and a bit of corn meal, etc. and they NEVER tasted like the ones I grew up on in central Illinois.

Tonight I found the secret.
I bought the pork tenderloin meat that comes 2 in a package.
Cut them into 8 pieces - then butterflied each small piece.
Pound out the pork tenderloin piece to less than 1/4 inch.
Make a batter of regular milk, egg, and a little bit of flour mixed in to thicken the batter just a little bit.
Let the meat set in the mixture in the fridge for a few hours (overnight is not necessary in my opinion IF you have a good piece of meat to begin with)
Heat aprox. 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil
When you take it out of the refrigerator mix up the batter a little because the flour will settle to the bottom of the container - and make sure the meat is evenly coated with the batter.
Dredge the meat in CRACKER MEAL - Nabisco puts out a box that costs less than $3
I put the meat back into the batter and cracker meal a second time pressing the meat down with my fingers to get it covered well.
I don't have a thermometer so I waited till the oil started to bubble a bit (make sure it is hot enough or the first one will not crisp up enough) then put in one breaded tenderloin at a time and let it fry for aprox. 4 to 5 minutes until 'medium' golden brown (I turned my over after 2 1/2 minutes). The poor little bun looked so tiny - and the tenderloin was almost as big around as the paper plate. I salted mine on the plate and added mustard and a couple pickle sliced to the bun. Then it tasted exactly right!

The texture and taste is EXACTLY like the ones that *Palanskys* (spelling?) distributes to the restaurants in the Ottawa - LaSalle/Peru - Peoria area in Central Illinois.

This really hit the spot since I have not been back up home for four year!

* Using the CRACKER MEAL that is crushed to almost a 'sand' consistency I believe is the secret for success.
Nabisco's is perfect, so my search is over!

plb
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 09:30:30
Ms. Tenderloin,
Thanks, I'll have to try it.
A Hoosier (the state not that school) in TX
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 11:12:51
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Tenderloin

The texture and taste is EXACTLY like the ones that *Palanskys* (spelling?) distributes to the restaurants in the Ottawa - LaSalle/Peru - Peoria area in Central Illinois.

It's Bill Polanicic's Tenderloin Shop in Ottawa, Illinois. Home of the Pork Tenderloin with a giant pig on their billboard. We drive by it all the time, usually on a Sunday when they are closed but we finally stopped a few months ago. Definately an old timey, family run butcher shop, they will cut to order but have many products prepared. I didn't buy Tenderloins there but some chops and a lovely filet. They supply most of the small town local bars with their homemade BPTs.

Bill Polanicic's Meat and Tenderloin Shop
412 West Norris (US Rte. 6)
Ottawa, Illinois
815-433-0324
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 11:40:18
Ms. Tenderloin,

Welcome to Roadfood.com. You found one of the longest running message threads on pork tenderloin sandwiches. I've tried every which way of making tenderloins. I think we tend to favor what we remember which is true with a lot of things. Recreating what you enjoyed is a great achievement. My taste buds did not have that distinct of a memory and my place of remembrance, the Mug'n'Bun in Speedway, Indiana, completely changed anyway when I tried them last year.

Most every restaurant, especially in Iowa and anyone claiming a platter size tenderloin, is using a pork loin cut. I find the true pork tenderloin a tad better. Few restaurants marinade for any length of time. They mostly dip and fry. I found the longer the marinade the more tender the meat. I've done comparative tests with the same meat to determine that. I go with buttermilk overnight because both Nick's Kitchen and Emeril corroborate that and that's good enough for me. I deep fry in a controlled temperature deep fryer at 360 degrees for about 3 minutes. I find the hotter the temperature and faster the fry the less greasy and more uniformly golden brown the tenderloin will be. For breading I have used corn meal, saltine crackers, commercial breadings of all sorts and Panko. I guess I like a more coarse texture that Panko gives. I may try cracker meal. I had corn flakes cereal on my list to try as well.

I found one place in Houston, Heights Camphouse Bar-B-Que, that actually made a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. They didn't exactly know what it was as they called it a pork burger on the menu. Just for curiosity you should check it out.
Ms. Tenderloin
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 14:38:37
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

It's Bill Polanicic's Tenderloin Shop in Ottawa, Illinois. Home of the Pork Tenderloin with a giant pig on their billboard. We drive by it all the time, usually on a Sunday when they are closed but we finally stopped a few months ago. Definately an old timey, family run butcher shop, they will cut to order but have many products prepared. I didn't but Tenderloins there but some chops and a lovely filet. They supply most of the small town local bars with their homemade BPTs.

Bill Polanicic's Meat and Tenderloin Shop
412 West Norris (US Rte. 6)
Ottawa, Illinois
815-433-0324

kland01s-

Yes that's that place
Ottawa is about a 15 minute drive from my hometown.
My aunt has asked them before if they would ship to Texas but they said no - they said because they don't want to deal with the dry ice, etc.

They are definitely the best tenderloins that I've ever eaten in Illinois. It used to be that you could find them only in restaurants and bars but now you can find Polanicic's Tenderloins in the grocery stores in that area. That is how we found out that they use CRACKER MEAL because there is a little paper inside of the box with the ingredients listed.

Ms. Tenderloin
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 14:48:45
quote:

<SNIP> I may try cracker meal. <SNIP>

I found one place in Houston, Heights Camphouse Bar-B-Que, that actually made a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. They didn't exactly know what it was as they called it a pork burger on the menu. Just for curiosity you should check it out.

Davydd, please let us know how you like it with cracker meal when you have the chance to try it.
I recommend Nabisco's cracker meal but that's the only brand I've tried so far.

Two weeks ago when my tenderloin craving started up again I did a bit of research and found out about Camphouse and tried calling and the phone had been disconnected. I called Jimmie's Ice House on the same street and they said Heights Camphouse Bar-B-Que CLOSED DOWN about a month or so ago. So, I never had the chance to try theirs.

trzhotel
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 17:15:17
Hello, I have visited a couple more Tenderloin places lately. My job should take me to rural iowa in the next couple of months, so i can visit more places on my list.

This is a new fast-food place in a former Wendy's building, now named Iowa Castle. This is more of a "small is beautiful" kind of BPT.

This is from Original Coney Island in the downtown Des Moines Skywalk, it is big:

Davvyd: my browser crashes whenever I try to look at your blog, I think it may be my computer bit i'm not sure.

If there is a larger message board thread about breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches, please direct me there. This one is 28 pages, 828 replies, and 95,000 views. I don't want this thread to die.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 20:23:44
There is another pork tenderloin thread that was started in 2002, is 128 pages and 3,182 messages but is Indiana centric since it is on the Trackforum.com board that is primarily Indy Racing League and Indianapolis 500 enthusiasts though they have boards for all other racing as well.
Ms. Tenderloin
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 20:55:32
I hadn't seen any videos online of tenderloins,
but I finally found one taken at The Firehouse Cafe in Knightstown, Ind.
- now that a good sized one!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZWHAZyyf6c

Any others out there?

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/18 23:11:17
I've had this one linked from my website for quite awhile. It is an excerpt from Jensen Rufe's documentary, In Search of the Famous Hoosier Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich. The actual documentary is about 16 minutes long but I can't post it.

http://www.jensenrufe.com/documentaries/tenderloin/index.html

Also I have a 3-1/2 minute video from the Food Network Food Finds show that goes in full detail in preparing a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich at the Brickyard Crossing Restaurant in Speedway, IN. Food Network will not give permission to post that one.
Ms. Tenderloin
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/19 00:02:51
quote:

plb,

"other BPT thread"?

Anyway there is probably a good reason the pork loin is used. It is considerably cheaper at least in grocery stores. Pork tenderloins run as much as 50% higher in cost per pound over pork loin including already trimmed cutlets. Most of the diners and restaurants sell the sandwiches pretty cheap. The second reason it is easier to slice a pork loin and tenderize it. The pork tenderloin needs to be butterfly cut to achieve that hang over look.

Speaking of price...

Yesterday I figured out that making my 8 tenderloins at home after adding up the cost of the 'pork TENDERloin' meat $9.98, Nabisco cracker meal $2.59, eggs and milk I rounded it off to $13 -- which comes to approximately $1.62 per each breaded tenderloin plus 15 cents each per bun - grand total of $1.77

In my home town basically the same sandwich (size and type) is priced now in the restaurants and bars for between $5 to $6.

Of course the first thing I will do when I get back home, no matter what the going rate is, is stop and get one [smile]

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/19 13:31:03
quote:
Originally posted by trzhotel

Davvyd: my browser crashes whenever I try to look at your blog, I think it may be my computer bit i'm not sure.

If there is a larger message board thread about breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches, please direct me there. This one is 28 pages, 828 replies, and 95,000 views. I don't want this thread to die.

I'm assuming you may be on a PC using Internet Explorer? Try using the Mozilla Firefox browser. It is superior and it is a free download. Internet Explorer doesn't play by all the HTML rules due to Microsoft's arrogance. Internet Explorer has been known to have problems with Apple's .mac websites and I suspect there may be some deliberate competitive ignoring the problem going on.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/19 15:15:47
Davydd-
You are correct, I brought up your blog with Firefox.

The only thing I couldn't read about was an early post titled "Porky's".
I hope its not Porky's Drive In in Des Moines, i could not get out of there fast enough after biting their tenderloin. Its only half a mile north of a great tenderloin in Michael's in Beaverdale.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/19 15:45:00
No it was Porky's in St. Paul. Another one of those drive-ins and restaurants that people bring up and claim to be great only they hadn't been there in the last 20 years to know it had changed.
justmeincal
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/23 21:09:39
I recently moved to Fallbrook, in northern San Diego county. I was shocked and delighted to find a place serving breaded tenderloin sandwiches. Since leaving rural Illinois for Calfornia 30 years ago, this was the first time I have encountered a place serving BPTs.

So if you ever in the area stop by the Wayside Cafe and chow down.

ps. I asked the owner how he happened to serve them. He said the original owners were from Indiana which explains how they ended up on the menu.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/23 22:36:53
justmeincal,

Good catch on the Wayside Cafe. I get a lot of email from Californians pining for a bread pork tenderloin sandwich. I have another one to pass on and it will go on my list for the day we go out to California.

Welcome to Roadfood.com.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/26 14:52:36

OK BPT EXPERTS---- What is the ideal thickness to pound the tenderloins out to?? I know that doesn't sound like good English, but I think you know what I mean.
geofffromiowa
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/26 15:07:16
For anyone who lives outside of the "BPT Belt" and is craving a tenderloin, the Town House Supper Club in Wellsburg, Iowa is now selling their "Voted #1 in Iowa" tenderloins in bulk on their website. The way I understand it, is that they can ship them to you on dry ice.

http://www.townhousesupperclub.com/thtenderloins.pdf
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/26 16:12:08
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

OK BPT EXPERTS---- What is the ideal thickness to pound the tenderloins out to?? I know that doesn't sound like good English, but I think you know what I mean.

I would shoot for 1/4" to 3/8" so they will fry correctly at 360degF+. I notice a lot of cuts are thicker and they are usually pork loin and not tenderloin. I also notice those that try for a thicker sandwich often do not fry well. They often turn out to be too greasy.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 19:40:07
I noticed, however, that Porky's in Des Moines was dark when I drove by last week. Might have had something to do with the holidays. The tenderloin there really isn't very good. My vote for best tenderloin in Iowa goes to the Colony Inn in Ventura (near Clear Lake).

In other tenderloin news, there's a new place directly across from Drake University in Des Moines that specializes in bpt's but they really aren't all that great.

Anybody have any interest in a tenderloin road trip in Iowa in the spring?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 19:54:38
Jay,

Colony Inn in Ventura near Clear Lake is reachable for me on a day trip. I may give it consideration next spring. On my way to Niobrara SP in Nebraska for an RV B van rally next June I may make another swing through Iowa. I've two more former IPPA winners to try yet.
Birdhunter
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 20:11:36
Go to this website, www.essentiallowa.com if you want good Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches.
I only about 100 miles Northeast from St.Olaf, Iowa where they serve a Monster pork sandwich.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 20:14:59
Heh. Thanks Birdhunter. That's my web site. I haven't updated it in awhile because I've been battling cancer (a fight, by the way, that I am winning).

By the way, here's a direct link to the pork tenderloin page:
http://essentialiowa.com/indepthpork.html
Birdhunter
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 20:43:22
Good Luck with your cancer,they have great drugs to control this.
You have done a greaat job on this site for Iowa Pork.
Have you ever had the pork sandwich at the Rustix in Humbolt,Iowa?
It is suppose to be the #2 tenderloin in the state for 2007.
I'm going to try the one at St.Olaf on my cycle this summer with some friends for a lunch ride.
Good Luck,George from LaCrosse,Wi.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 20:47:53
quote:
Originally posted by Birdhunter

Good Luck with your cancer,they have great drugs to control this.
You have done a greaat job on this site for Iowa Pork.
Have you ever had the pork sandwich at the Rustix in Humbolt,Iowa?
It is suppose to be the #2 tenderloin in the state for 2007.
I'm going to try the one at St.Olaf on my cycle this summer with some friends for a lunch ride.
Good Luck,George from LaCrosse,Wi.

Thanks. I haven't tried it but I think Davydd has and found it to be good. Or maybe someone else on the board. You need to stop at Gunder for a Gunder Burger. It's a great destination for cyclists and they have a nice beer selection. Gunder isn't far from St. Olaf, but I doubt you could eat a St. Olaf tenderloin AND a Gunder Burger in one weekend, let alone one day.

Also in that neck of the woods, Ruby's in Decorah has the best breakfast I've eaten in Iowa. Try the cinnamon rolls and the biscuits and gravy. And the pancakes.

Birdhunter
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 21:25:45
I have been to Gunder and had the Philly Steak sandwich,it was wonderful,large.Try small burger next time.
I went thru St.Olaf which is east of Gunder and never knew about the tenderloin sandwich.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 22:32:37
I stopped at the Rustix in Humboldt. My comments are in this thread.

Bottom line. I would not recommend going out of your way. It was average. You should go to St. Olaf, Townhouse Supper Club in Wellsburg, or Suzie Q's in Mason City.

Jay,

The Colony Inn website menu mentions no pork tenderloin sandwich which could explain why I never found it. For that matter they mention no sandwiches or burgers of any kind. I have to believe that was an oversight. I can't imagine a small town restaurant not offering burgers and sandwiches.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/12/29 22:42:12
I've eaten several there. They are the big-as-your-plate variety that spill out of the bun. They are nicely seasoned and the breading is a little bit spicy. The Colony (which I also refer to as "The Colon" because of the impact eating a giant tenderloin has on my body0 is a typical small town bar with a friendly bartender, juke box and pool table. There's a separate dining room and it has a pleasant area outside that is nice on summer days, complete with some sheltered seating and a lovely little stream that cuts through the area. It's park-like. The owners also run a restaurant on the other side of Clear Lake that features pretty good breakfasts, including amazing everything hash browns loaded with cheese, onions, breakfast meats, hot peppers, etc. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place right now but it's one of the more popular breakfast venues.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/01/14 21:00:44
2008 is the 100th Anniversary of Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN. The local Huntington Herald-Press published a nice article on Nick's Kitchen, owned by the way by Jean Anne Bailey, janicks online here at Roadfood.com.

http://www.h-ponline.com/articles/2008/01/14/news/001nickskitchen.txt

They are noted for inventing the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich and in my opinion to this day still serve the best.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/01/22 14:53:09
Hello,

I made it to an often mentioned Tenderloin served at the St. Olaf Tap in Northeastern Iowa. This one clearly lives up to the hype, it was very good. The tenderloin had the fat trimmed from it and was lightly breaded, almost health food. I can't believe I drove past this town on the state highway before, why don't they put a sign up or something? Its worth the drive north from Elkader. I was in a hurry to get to Butler County that day, so I finished it in my car. I could have eaten two of these things as they are so light compared to other super jumbo tenderloins.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/01/22 15:46:02
trzhotel,

I see they are not slacking off in size. Still big as ever. The next time you are in the area go on up to Gunder and try the Gunderburger there. St. Olaf and Gunder have two gems of a sandwich hidden away in northeastern Iowa.

Here is the other St. Olaf Tap visit.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423&whichpage=17
Kenny
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/01/28 15:51:19
Two places in Indianapolis,Indiana for really good pork tenderloins are The Legal Beagle and the Lockerbie Pub. I like mine breaded with lettuce, onion, mayo.
lam61157
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/01/29 11:47:20
2 places Betty's on Main St. Marseilles Illinois off of Rt 6 & I-80 exit 97. Polansics Meat Market in Ottawa,Ill make & sell them frozen. I bring a boat load abck to Va i am almost out so i need to go home soon .
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/02/05 15:28:33
There was a nice short article (blog) in Muncies Star Press today.. John Carlson and his tenderloin club report on the best in East Central Indiana: http://orig.thestarpress.com/blogs/aceswild/2008/02/best_tenderloin_heres_one_guys.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/02/05 19:03:21
He said Abel's in Anderson, IN and then another responder piped in that Abel's was closed. Anyone know. I put my 2 cents in too.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/02/05 19:55:41
This past weekend we visited Wabasha, MN on our way home from La Crosse, WI. Wabasha has the newly opened National Eagle Center, a recommended stop if you are ever in the area. After our visit to the Eagle Center we stopped at Slippery's Bar & Grill for a late lunch. They had both breaded pork tenderloins and Walleye sandwiches on the menu so my wife and I ordered both and shared them. The breaded pork tenderloin sandwich like the Walleye sandwich was so so. I guess their hamburger carries the day for them. That and the fact they live off their reputation of being featured in the 1993 movie Grumpy Old Men and 1995 movie Grumpier Old Men with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. They have a nice riverside view of the Mississippi River and soaring American bald eagles. Here is the sandwich.

I give them points for having the right kind of classic diner coffee mugs.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/02/22 12:06:03
My ongoing search for new and exciting tenderloins often leads me to dead ends like places that have closed, or have switched to frozen tenderloins.

Often I will drive past a town, only to discover it has a tenderloin serving establishment worth visiting. For example, New London Iowa was just a mile off of my route once, and I could have entered this contest dsacribed in the story below and eaten tederloins free for a year:

http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/Short_stop_loins_111807
"NEW LONDON --The betting doesn't involve chips, rather tasty homemade tenderloins.
Patrons of the Short Stop restaurant in New London are hoping to cash in on the latest promotion: Who is going to buy the 20,000th tenderloin and then get a free one each month for a year?..."

On another note, I found one in Bellevue Nebraska at the Dairy Twist:

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/28 21:46:18
Sometimes you feel like a BPT and sometimes you don't. Today I felt like a BPT so I drove 23 miles to the Lookout Bar & Grill in Maple Grove, MN. The place has been in business since 1958 yet it was in a seemingly new residential area of single family homes. My conclusion was that at one time it was a country bar & Grill out in the middle of nowhere on a hilltop. I was going for their breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It was served on sourdough toast with Swiss cheese, lettuce and chipotle mayonnaise along with fries for $7.49. I'll have to think about it but I am just about ready to say this is the best I've had in Minnesota. It was that good.

jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 14:51:29
Best BPT in Minnesota? We Iowans say that's like being the tallest midget in the circus Seriously, it looks good. I was in the Twin Cities for 24 hours this weekend and was trying to find something good to get the taste of Mall of America out of my mouth. Isn't there a funky bowling alley with a good menu in Minneapolis?

By the way, the BPT looks to be served on toast and it looks just a smidgen pink. I don't worry about pork being cooked through like I use d to but I have never seen a medium bpt.
zataar
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 16:00:29
How about the Byrant Lake Bowl at Lyndale and Lake?

http://www.bryantlakebowl.com/menu.html

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 16:24:37
Jay,

It was done. The pinkish tint could just be the lighting. On the north side of Minneapolis the Eastern European ethnic influence seems to have a penchant for toast instead of buns and Minnesotan in general seem to like to add cheese.

Bryant Lake Bowl unfortunately does not have a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. I know of two bowling alleys that do. Elsie's in Northeast Minneapolis and Mady's in Columbia Heights. I haven't gone to either yet. In due time I guess. It is my understanding they both serve BPTs on toast as well.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 16:28:04
When you meeting me in Ventura for a Colony Inn tenderloin?

quote:

Jay,

It was done. The pinkish tint could just be the lighting. On the north side of Minneapolis the Eastern European ethnic influence seems to have a penchant for toast instead of buns and Minnesotan in general seem to like to add cheese.

Bryant Lake Bowl unfortunately does not have a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. I know of two bowling alleys that do. Elsie's in Northeast Minneapolis and Mady's in Columbia Heights. I haven't gone to either yet. In due time I guess. It is my understanding they both serve BPTs on toast as well.
mhill95
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 16:39:33
This is a good place:

The Park Tavern Bowling & Entertainment Center
3401 Louisiana Avenue South
St. Louis Park, MN 55426

http://www.parktavern.net/

They serve their BPT on a bun.

Mike-
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 16:45:10
Davydd-
This weekend I will be in Omaha. I am thinking about driving over to Darrell's Place in Hamlin for a BPT. What do you think of the place?
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 16:57:55
Buffetbuster,
Let me throw in my 2 cents worth in. If I had to pick a BPT in Southwest Iowa to eat as representing the best in the area, I would go to Larsen's Pub in Elk Horn, IA. Their BPT won last year's award. Darrell's Place does a good BPT as does my restaurant, but, if you want the best, IMHO, eat at Larsen's.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 17:06:07
mhill95,

I forgot to mention the Park Tavern. I've been there. I put their tenderloin near the bottom of my list. It was not a go back for me. Also, I forgot to mention Alleygators on Bass Lake Rd off I-494. They have a pretty decent tenderloin on a bun.

buffetbuster,

Right in the same area as Darrell's Place is Larsen's Pub in Elk Horn and The Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic. Larsen's Pub was the 2007 Iowa Pork Producer's Association BPT winner. The Farmer's Kitchen was a former runner-up. The Farmer's Kitchen is owned by Blizzardstormus a Roadfood.com member and they have great homemade pie. Then if you go to Elk Horn you may end up enticed by the Danish bakery and restaurant. It would be a tough decision. I did hit all three here and maybe this will help...

Darrell's Place was the smallest sandwich of the three and by that time I didn't have room to try their pies. Darrell's Place and the Farmer's Kitchen are small town family restaurants. Larsen's is a bar type restaurant. If I had to make a recommendation I would say go to the Farmer's Kitchen because I know you like Pie made by a real mom.
Catracks
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 17:28:55
I'm so far from the Midwest that I have to make my own. Take a pork tenderloin slice and pound it thin. Dredge in flour and marinate in buttermilk overnight. Next morning press tenderloin in breading of choice (I choose panko most of the time). In a few hours the breading will be set so you can fry it up. Place on a bun with choice of fixings.

Melt in your mouth.

First tenderloin I ever had was in Gnawbone, IN.
scarletfire
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/03/31 18:05:46
The Park Tavern in St. Louis Park is one of my usual watering holes.. Fun atmosphere but the food is nothing too special.. I do like the BPC (BBQ Pulled Chicken) because it is served with slaw on the roll. The pizza is pretty standard but good. I will try the BPT on my next visit and report...

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 20