Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 39
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/25 07:58:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

It's interesting to note that the number of pages on this thread is the same as New Jersey Hot dogs, A popular thread

The difference is New Jersey Hot Dogs is all talk and no pictures. Pictures seem to push the page count higher with fewer messages. Also, hot dogs are a manufactured product of left over by products. The pork tenderloin is a culinary heartland creation of the tenderest meat from a hog.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10328
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/25 19:17:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

quote:

It's interesting to note that the number of pages on this thread is the same as New Jersey Hot dogs, A popular thread

The difference is New Jersey Hot Dogs is all talk and no pictures. Pictures seem to push the page count higher with fewer messages. Also, hot dogs are a manufactured product of left over by products. The pork tenderloin is a culinary heartland creation of the tenderest meat from a hog.

While your points are well taken, I'll betcha if you ground up some good quality hot dogs, formed them into a patty, breaded them and fried them like a BPT, you would get a product that would rivel the best of the BPT World! Conversely, if you ground up pork tenderloin and stuffed it in a casing, you wouldn't get anything close to a good tasting hot dog. Sounds like a case for a $2 Million Research Grant from the Dept of Agriculture.Whatcha Think Dog Lovers?????
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/25 22:19:30 (permalink)
quote:
[While your points are well taken, I'll betcha if you ground up some good quality hot dogs, formed them into a patty, breaded them and fried them like a BPT, you would get a product that would rivel the best of the BPT World!

Ugh! " /> You just described a fritter--a lower form that some restaurants try to foist off as tenderloins.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/25 23:30:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
[While your points are well taken, I'll betcha if you ground up some good quality hot dogs, formed them into a patty, breaded them and fried them like a BPT, you would get a product that would rivel the best of the BPT World!

Ugh! " /> You just described a fritter--a lower form that some restaurants try to foist off as tenderloins.

Au Contraire my dear Davydd. According to Wikipedia:
The word fritter comes from the Latin frictura ("frying") by way of Old French and Middle English. It is used to refer to a number of fried foods.

In British fish and chip shops, the fish and chips can be accompanied by optional extras and many of these are called fritters, which means a food item (such as a pineapple ring or an apple ring or some mushy peas) fried in batter. Hence: pineapple fritter, apple fritter, pea fritter, etc.

Small cakes made with a primary ingredient, mixed with batter and fried, are found in many American cuisines. "Corn fritters"' and "apple fritters" are well known. Fritters may use regular flour, cornmeal, or a mix.

So, Fritters do not contain any form of meat, therefore your comment is not valid. Don't get me wrong, I like BPT but a Hot Dog is not in the Fritter Family.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/25 23:38:06 (permalink)
Some folks just can't leave well enough alone......look weenie lovers, I can appreciate a quality frank as much as the next guy, but you sure can't bring a hot dog up to the level of a breaded pork tenderloin.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8498
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/25 23:40:00 (permalink)
Well,I have decided to retire and try both the tenderloin AND hot dog...but please,do not grind up either one before I try it....
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/26 07:59:09 (permalink)
Foodbme,

Wikipedia, wikashmeedia. They don't know anything about the deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin business. A fritter in this terminology is ground up pork of unknown leftover byproducts (kind of like a hot dog) shaped into a pattie, breaded, deep-fried and passed off as a pork tenderloin on menus. It is the bain of the business.

Look, we're talking about good 'ol fashion butt cookin' here.
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/26 09:03:54 (permalink)
Davydd is absolutely correct. If a menu says pork fritter, RUN AWAY!

Pork fritters are breaded hockey pucks that restaurants try to pawn off as BPTs. When ordering a BPT, ALWAYS ask if it is made at the restaurant. If not, RUN AWAY!

Hey, Davydd, when you finally make it to western Iowa, try my BPT at the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic. We were one of the top 5 BPTs last year.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/27 06:17:17 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Cheap hot dogs may be a product of left over by products, but the hot dogs discussed in the New Jersey Hot Dog Thread are for the most part quality sausages made from fine cuts (not trimmings) of beef and pork. Thumann's Franks use high quality pork that comes right off their hams. Best's uses a mix of choice and lean beef. Lobel's actually uses prime beef. Vienna beef uses a mix of bull meat and brisket. I'd put the quality of meat in a top grade frankfurter up against the meat in a pork tenderloin any day. And in my opinion, there is a wider range of flavors in a good hot dog. I find pork tenderloin to be rather bland.

There aren't many pictures in the New Jersey Hot Dog Thread. If you want to see some good ones, go to the Hot Dog Tour Thread under Miscellaneous and Food Related.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/27 20:26:17 (permalink)
I now have to go out and scare up a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, take a picture and put an end to all this silly hot dog talk.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/27 22:01:15 (permalink)
Who would of thought that when the now ledgendary Hawkeyejohn started this thread back on May 16, 2003 that 42874 views later we would be squabbling over hot dogs? This is a Pork Tenderloin Forum...try to stay focused, people! Wuerstlieber sind hier nicht wilkommen!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/28 15:37:14 (permalink)
Order in the thread! BANG!

This is what I plan to use for pounding my next tenderloin. It is a Marples No. 7715 Mallet made in Marples, England. The label said, "The head of this mallet is made from Beechwood specially selected on account of the sandy ground on which it is grown. The shaft is tough English Ash, known for centuries for its strength and resilience. The coat of polish protects the tool from damp and dirt."

To see why it is looking the way it is it is because I pounded out 880 heavy timber mortise and tenon joints with it when I built our house check here. I cleaned it up for its new use.

http://members.aol.com/davydd/House/TF_00.html

John Fox
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/28 17:56:54 (permalink)
quote:

I now have to go out and scare up a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, take a picture and put an end to all this silly hot dog talk.

I'm telling you, one bite of a Syd's hot dog and you'll never go back to eating pork tenderloin again.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/28 21:09:17 (permalink)
Bite your tounge, John Fox (pun intended.)

Davydd, that is one impressive mallet. I gotsta git me one o' them! Have plans on traveling down to Tucson this coming week, an Iowa spot called Wags is supposed to have a decent tenderloin. look for pics next Friday!
John Fox
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 05:56:57 (permalink)
I haven't yet read all the way through this thread, but is there any place in Union County, N.J. that serves a quality pork tenderloin sandwich? I'd love to check it out.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 11:31:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox I'm telling you, one bite of a Syd's hot dog and you'll never go back to eating pork tenderloin again.

::: sigh ::: I'm guessing you have never had a true deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so you are speaking from ignorance, right?

To answer your question. It is highly doubtful you will find a breaded tenderloin sandwich in New Jersey--at least not one of quality we speak of in the Heartland.

Here. Watch the slideshow...

http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 11:41:20 (permalink)
Davydd,

You know I'm open to just about anything, (even Rocky Mountain Oysters!!" />) After my experience at Smitty's in Des Moines, I'm looking forward one day to experiencing a true hoosier tenderloin. However you've never had a true hot dog until you've experienced one in the NYC metro area- All beef- no fillers- I can't vouch for hot dogs in Minnesota, but if they're anything like what I experienced in Seattle, then all I can say is..........
John Fox
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 12:18:15 (permalink)
You're right, I've never had a true deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. But I'll bet you never had a quality hot dog from New Jersey. It's too bad that I probably won't find a breaded tenderloin sandwich here; my curiosity is piqued after skimming through this thread. Excellent pictures and slide show by the way. Someone e-mailed me to tell me about this thread, and I'm glad I found it. You people are just as fanatical about pork tenderloin sandwiches as we are about hot dogs. Ever consider doing a tour?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 14:39:15 (permalink)
John,

Here's a web site that Gives you a Blow by Blow ( Pun intended) Pictorial Tutorial on how to make a Breaded Pork Tenderloin. There may be a whole new career waiting for you asyou open the first BPT Shop in NJ!

Forgot to add the web site. Senior-Heimers;
http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 15:25:53 (permalink)
The only time I eat hot dogs is at Twins games. I'm not sure of the quality but it is a must at a baseball game or the game is not complete. This is brat country. We are too close to Wisconsin to eat anything else and brats we have a lot of. I get to New York on occassion on business. Since I know I will not find a breaded pork tenderloin I could alter my pursuits. My next trips will most likely be Chicago, Detroit, Dallas or Phoenix though where I currently have projects underway. My company must love me when I submit expense accounts for dinner of $8.80 like I did in Houston for a pork tenderloin sandwich at Heights Camphouse BBQ. Most people seek out fancy restaurants and stretch the limits of their expense accounts.

But this is what we are really talking about...

http://www.jensenrufe.com/documentaries/tenderloin/index.html

It is a short Quicktime movie excerpt of the documentary, "In Search of the Famous Indiana Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich" by Jensen Rufe. I urge you to watch it.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 15:40:01 (permalink)
desertdog,

Wags Family Restaurant — 4026 E. Grant Road. "Iowa style" diner serves up everything from griddle cakes to pork tenderloin sandwiches. Breakfast and lunch only. Tucson casual. (520) 323-2345.

desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 16:50:45 (permalink)
quote:

desertdog,

Wags Family Restaurant — 4026 E. Grant Road. "Iowa style" diner serves up everything from griddle cakes to pork tenderloin sandwiches. Breakfast and lunch only. Tucson casual. (520) 323-2345.

I was there a couple years ago but just had a loosemeats. Looking forward to getting my paws around a juicy BPTS. Thanks for the address, memory tends to fade.
John Fox
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 19:15:32 (permalink)
quote:

John,

Here's a web site that Gives you a Blow by Blow ( Pun intended) Pictorial Tutorial on how to make a Breaded Pork Tenderloin. There may be a whole new career waiting for you asyou open the first BPT Shop in NJ!

Seems like a pretty involved process; much more so than cooking a hot dog. I think I'd prefer to sample one before I attempt to make one. Any similarity in taste to weiner schnitzel?
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 19:19:00 (permalink)
You cannot compare BPT to a hot dog, once you have tried one, you will crave them too.

We have a Culvers opening soon (90 miles away, but that is a short trip in the panhandle of Nebraska. I know they don't compare to the Indiana thing, but the best we can do around here.

LL
John Fox
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 19:24:01 (permalink)
I don't doubt that they are good or even that I would crave them once I sampled one. But I prefer a good hot dog to anything else. It is my favorite thing in the universe to eat.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 20:23:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

quote:

John,

Seems like a pretty involved process; much more so than cooking a hot dog. I think I'd prefer to sample one before I attempt to make one. Any similarity in taste to weiner schnitzel?

John,

The breaded pork tenderloin is a derivative of weiner schnitzel using pork instead of veal and serving it sandwich style. That recipe tutorial web site, BTW, is mine. The next time I make a batch of pork tenderloins I'll bread a hot dog and deep fry it. Wait! That's a corn dog or pronto pup.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 20:30:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LegalLady

You cannot compare BPT to a hot dog, once you have tried one, you will crave them too.

We have a Culvers opening soon (90 miles away, but that is a short trip in the panhandle of Nebraska. I know they don't compare to the Indiana thing, but the best we can do around here.

LL

Legal Lady,

If you lived in the eastern side of Nebraska you could probably find many BPTs so close to Iowa, but you are definitely out a ways. The culture changes fast. You can cross the border from Indiana into Michigan and the sandwiches practically disappear from menus. Culvers is not all that bad. It is a true tenderloin and they have pretty good quality control from restaurant to restaurant.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 21:03:18 (permalink)
OK, time to get back in focus once again.

We drove down to Benchwarmer Bob's restaurant in Burnsville, MN to try their breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. Benchwarmer Bob is Bob Lurtsema, former Minnesota Viking defensive lineman. He played way back when but who remembers and who cares because he warmed the bench playing behind a very fine front four. Benchwarmer Bob made more of a name for himself as an advertising pitch man on TV than playing football.

The restaurant is half sports bar and half dining room with TV screens all around for watching the Vikings. But this time it was the Minnesota Gophers being thumped by Ohio State 44 to zip.

The tenderloin was billed as a 6 oz. tenderloin with choice of fries, cole slaw, etc. for $9.99. The price was a bit on the high side as far as tenderloins go. It was surprisingly good. The breading was excellent with a faint tangy spice. The meat was tender and thick, and it spilled over the bun as it should. It is right up at the top for a Minnesota tenderloin and was reminiscent in presentation to what you get in Indiana sports bars. It came with pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion and a side of mayo. Mustard was not offered so I tried the mayo. With the Minnetonka Drive In closing for the winter season, this place and The Nook in St. Paul would be the two places I would recommend right now.

Benchwarmer Bob's breaded pork tenderloin sandwich
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 22:39:42 (permalink)
Wiener Schnitzels are also pan fried in butter vs. a BPTS which is typically deep-fried. A Wiener Schnitzel (in Germany anyway) is served with nothing more than a slice of lemon and maybe a little ketchup on the side. The lemon squirted over the schnitzel is surprisingly good.

As in America, restaurants in Germany pride themselves on having the biggest and juiciest schnitzels, and I for one can say I've done my share of sampling and comparing the tasty entree. Guten Appetit!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/10/29 23:53:53 (permalink)
Davydd,
THANX! for the Tutorial. I'm going to use it at Thanxgiving when I deep fry my Turkey since I'll have a pot of hot oil goin. Regarding the Breaded Hot Dog, I'm going to grind up hot dogs and make them into a Patty, then bread them with what you use for a BPT, deep fry em and see how they turn out. May need to use a Binder with them to make a patty. I'll experiment with it and post the results on here. SAhould turn out something like a ChickenFried Steak I think????
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1