The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pork Tenderloins

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 16 of 39, messages 451 to 480 of 1147
desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
RE: Pork Tenderloins Mon, 10/30/06 11:16 AM (permalink)
I knew I had a picture of the last schnitzel , well HALF of the last schnitzel I ate over in Germany. This lovely piece of heaven was served to me in Ulm at a restaurant called the Zunfthaus down in the fisherman's quarter along the Danube river. The area sits in the shadow of a cathedral called the Ulmer Muenster, at 161 meters and 768 steps, the tallest steeple in the world.

http://www.zunfthaus-ulm.de/overview_GB.html

As you can see, when the other half of the schnitzel was still on the plate, it was quite a portion! In the bowl next to it are Bratkartoffeln (fried potatoes) and in the other bowl we ordered an extra side of Kasespaetzle ( freshly made tiny noodles made with flour, eggs, milk and salt that are boiled; then layered with shredded swiss cheese and topped with carmelized onions.)

Of course no meal is complete in Germany without a mug (or two) of the local brew, in this case a Gold Ochsen lager.

Zunfthaus

Fisherman's Quarter

Ulmer Muenster

Iowacafegal

• Total Posts: 19
    RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/2/06 11:18 PM (permalink)
    Hey Dog ,So I missed you at the Iowa Cafe Sorry about that. ( okay guys this is 2 for 2 miss ( Fooddne and Dog both) your Guys are going to think The True Blue Iowa cafe Gal never works LOL .
    I hope you had a great meal at the Cafe , Marcie told me you had our Home Made Breaded Tenderloin , Next time your going to have to try Our Maiden Rite Yes your right, it's what you know as the Loose Meat YUM Just like back home in Iowa. Hope to see you soon back at the Cafe ..
    Great pic. from your trip
    Pam Iowacafegal

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 11/3/06 3:13 PM (permalink)
      Hey Pam, I'll be back in next week for another go-round.

Seems like this thread has dried up a bit, unlike the two juicy breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches I had the pleasure of ingesting this week! The first one I kinda stumbled across on Monday. I had lunch with a friend of mine at Casey Jones Grill, a place he likes to go to for the wings (crispy, super hot). (29th st. and Bell) They are a Packer and Husker bar, the owner coming from the great state of Wisconson.

I noticed a BPTS on the menu and had to go for it, especially after the waitress said it's her favorite thing on the menu. I would say that it was very above average, certainly a great combination of crispiness and juciness. My only gripe would be that the bun was a bit too big. To get a perspective on it's size (it was a belly full) compare it to the 16 oz. glass of Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer in the background.

On my trip down to Tucson, I did make it over to Wags, a down home, midwest cookin' restaurant (Grant east of Alvernon) for their nearly famous Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich, known as "the Porky." Ross, the owner says that he imports the meat from his native Indiana as well as the Rubarb for his delicious pie. (Yes, I had both)

The restaurant has more of an Iowa theme to it and serves a mean Maid-Rite, known as "the Turbo." I also noticed quite an attractive plate of SOS being served at a neighboring table...I reckon everything is good at this little gem of a joint.

The sandwich was impressive...and delicious. I was almost full by the time I got to the bun, in fact I was a bit disapointed that I was going to have to start mixing in bread and the other toppings with the tenderloin because it was soooo good on it's own. The breading on the loin itself seemed to contain corn flakes, but I can not be certain of that.

Of couse I couldn't leave without trying the Rubarb pie, and that did not disappoint either! Warm with a little ice cream, man did that hit the spot. The only thing I regreted after leaving Wags was the 2 hour drive back to Phoenix. I seriously could have used a nap after that encounter. Note to Wags, rent out cots around back!

A great BPTS experience is awaiting anyone who travels to Tucson. Look up Wags, you'll be glad you did!

Tabascocat

• Total Posts: 14
        RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 11/3/06 4:25 PM (permalink)
        Recently the Iowa Pork Producers had their annual tenderloin contest and a restraunt in Wellsburg Iowa won, the announcement can be seen at the following link, www.iowapork.org/download/2006_T-loin_Contest_Winner.doc .

I was on a roadtrip recently in Northeast Iowa and stopped at the St Olaf tap for a Tenderloin, they have a pretty good reputation and are runners up in the contest. I tried the medium tenderloin about 8oz and it was definatly homemade a little thicker than most tenderloins I've had and the breading was a little different but very good. The bun was a regular hamburger bun and I cut the loin in half to fit on the bun better, I cant imagine what the large would be like it's about 16oz.

St Olaf is awfully small and the tap didnt have a lot of ambieance but it was like a lot of small town bars. The one thing that struck me was they had a jar on the counter for donations for a power street sweeper for the town, yet it didnt look like the town had more than 5 streets. I guess they just like to keep the ones they have really clean.

Try their tenderloin If you ever get by there.

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 11/3/06 6:17 PM (permalink)
          Welcome to the forum, tabascocat. Go back one page and you will see Davydd's post with a pic of the 16 oz'er from St. Olaf in all it's breaded glory!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
            RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 11/4/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
            For Tabascocat here is an encore presentation showing both the world's largest 16 oz. pork tenderloin sandwich but also the standard 8 oz. sandwich which is about the size you get just about everywhere else. The St. Olaf Tap also has a Mini 4 oz. version that just slightly over fills the bun.

desertdog, I count four presentations from you in Arizona. That's impressive. Are you now tapped out or are there more? Maybe you can get up to Las Vegas and try the Hash House A Go Go tenderloin.

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/5/06 11:47 AM (permalink)
              Heck, for the price of one "GoGo" I can get 4 over at Iowa Cafe!

Actually, I think I have just scratched the surface of a large pork tenderloin underground that exists here in AZ! Davydd, as you probably know, we get our fair share of Snowbirds here every winter, and most come from the Midwest. There are an untold number of small sports bars and cafes that cater to this contingent. I can only assume that Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches are a mainstay on most menus...

I think seeking out all the "Wags and Iowa Cafes" here in the Phoenix/Tucson area could take me months if not years. Of course, I am willing to take on this challenge on behalf of all the Pork Lover's of the world.

Maybe I've found my calling in life! Bout time. not sure how I'm gonna break this to my wife, though.

I'll keep you posted!

Hotrodder

• Total Posts: 58
                RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/5/06 1:28 PM (permalink)
                Davydd I hereby nominate you as the tenderloin king. All hail the king!

I just got back from the supermarket and I'm gona try your recipe tomarrow. I think you mentioned that you froze some after breading, how did they turn out?

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/5/06 3:41 PM (permalink)
                  Hotrodder, "Thank you, thank you very much." That's what Elvis, the true king would have said.

I'm debating Thanksgiving. Pork tenderloin sandwiches or deep-fried turkey.

I struck out twice this weekend in finding a new pork tenderloin sandwich in two new places (for us). First was Chestnuts in Chaska, MN. No tenderloin but nice place anyway. Today we took a Sunday morning 6 mile walk at Baker Park near Maple Plain. Gotta train for these pork tenderloins. After we noticed there was a new Irish Pub in Maple Plain. Had to stop. No pork tenderloin sandwich but they did serve Guinness, Bass Ale, Smithwick, Schell's Leinie's and Boddington's on tap. The place was formerly just a small town cafe but was remodeled into an almost authentic looking Irish Pub last August. McGarrys is the name. I will go back and try their walleye sandwich.

Iowacafegal

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/5/06 8:50 PM (permalink)
                    Hotrodder You can Freeze, your Bread Pork Tenderloin after Breading them But Let them Thaw out then Fry ,I have found if you Fry them Frozen they hold more Oil This will give you a Light Golden Brown loin.And help you not to over cook.
                    The Iowa Cafe Gal.

Hotrodder

• Total Posts: 58
                      RE: Pork Tenderloins Mon, 11/6/06 6:36 PM (permalink)
                      Davydd,

Well I just got done eating them... I'm almost ready to promote you to godhood

For those of you who can't make it to the I states, Take it from a life long Hoosier his recipe makes one of the best tenderloin sandwiches you can have.

Iowacafegal, Thanks for the info.

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Mon, 11/6/06 7:46 PM (permalink)
                        I forgot to mention the two tenderloins I prepared and froze were the two that I experimented with in baking them instead of deep frying. I figured that if you could do that with frozen chicken nuggets you could do it with tenderloins.

Iowacafegal

RE: Pork Tenderloins Mon, 11/6/06 10:52 PM (permalink)
                          Davydd
                          I'll have to try your experiment with baking them myself, I don't know of any place in Iowa that has ever Baked them. Everything back home in Iowa are done by deep frying . I'll try it at the Cafe in the AM ..with a couple of paoched Eggs whole wheat toast and some Home Fries
                          Iowa Cafe Gal.

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/7/06 9:38 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Iowacafegal

Davydd
                            I'll have to try your experiment with baking them myself, I don't know of any place in Iowa that has ever Baked them. Everything back home in Iowa are done by deep frying . I'll try it at the Cafe in the AM ..with a couple of paoched Eggs whole wheat toast and some Home Fries
                            Iowa Cafe Gal.

You convinced me, Pam. I'll be right down!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                              RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/8/06 9:56 PM (permalink)
                              Davvyd,
                              How did the taste compare? Did the breading stay adhered nicely to the pork?
                              The Bear

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                                RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/9/06 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                I'll betcha if you took your tenderloin and coated it with "Shake & Bake" seasoning and baked it, it would come out pretty good! I'm gonna try it & I'll letcha know how it turns out.

Iowacafegal

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 11/11/06 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Foodbme

I'll betcha if you took your tenderloin and coated it with "Shake & Bake" seasoning and baked it, it would come out pretty good! I'm gonna try it & I'll letcha know how it turns out.
                                  -
                                  Foodbme Hi it's the Iowa Cafe gal - Dishwasher- Cook it was nice to meet you today ,I hope next time your in the cafe, I can set and have some coffee with you, I got home about 9:30pm after a long day your right I'm having my Breaded Pork Tenderloin at home right now ..The True Blue Iowa cafe GAL
                                  Dog I'm now 3 for 3 missing you

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 11/11/06 10:24 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Davvyd,
                                    How did the taste compare? Did the breading stay adhered nicely to the pork?
                                    The Bear

They were prepared ready for frying but I didn't need them. So I froze them. When I decided to have them, time was too short to thaw them and set up the fryer. So I took them out of the freezer and just baked them more as an experiment. The meat was fine. Overall it was kind of dry similar to baking frozen and breaded chicken nuggets you can buy. The breading stayed on.

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/12/06 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                      Hey Pam,

I'm beginning to wonder if your really exist! I did come in the other day after your "baking" post about 9AM ish. Since you weren't there I went ahead and had a Pork tenderloin with my over-mediums and taters, all delivered on THREE plates no less! Needless to say I didn't need to eat the rest of the day!

I'm cooking up some Italian Beef today in the crock pot. Never done it before, so we'll see how it turns out. I'm posting the recipe and pics later today over on another thread if successful...

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=4&TOPIC_ID=11796#244240

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/12/06 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                        desertdog,

You have quite a few more places to try in Arizona. Here is the list:

Vine Tavern & Eatery
                                        Tempe
                                        480-894-2662
                                        Rural & Apache

Vine Tavern & Eatery
                                        Tempe
                                        480-730-6313
                                        Elliot & Rural

Vine Tavern & Eatery
                                        Phoenix
                                        602-957-9806
                                        28th & Indian School

Vine Tavern & Eatery
                                        Mesa
                                        480-396-2472
                                        Recker & Main

http://www.azeats.com/vinetavern/menu.htm

I have found 5 more places in Minnesota yet that I have not tried. And of course I could go just a little bit south and stumble into just about any eatery in Iowa and try one.

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Mon, 11/13/06 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                          I've been to the Vine a couple times but obviously overlooked the Tenderloin. I think I was there more for the liquid offerings. Looks like I'll be getting over for lunch sometime this week then! Thanks for the heads up!

My brother lives down in Red Wing, MN...I'll have to ask him about some of the local places there that might have a loin worth driving for.

Jim Ross

• Total Posts: 314
                                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/14/06 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                            The Vine should have a good one. 2 of their 6 locations are in the Iowa City area and I think the Gilbert & Prentiss location in Iowa City was probably the original. We go to the one on the Coralville strip but always get the chicken wings which are excellent, I'll have to try the tenderloin now and report. It is a great place to have a beer and watch sports on big screen TVs.

Their web site is http://www.azeats.com/vinetavern/default.htm

desertdog

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/14/06 10:19 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Jim Ross

The Vine should have a good one. 2 of their 6 locations are in the Iowa City area and I think the Gilbert & Prentiss location in Iowa City was probably the original. We go to the one on the Coralville strip but always get the chicken wings which are excellent, I'll have to try the tenderloin now and report. It is a great place to have a beer and watch sports on big screen TVs.

Their web site is http://www.azeats.com/vinetavern/default.htm

I didn't realize the Vine Tavern was a native Iowan eatery! I just assumed it was Phoenician. Very Cool. I'll be there tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Iowacafegal

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/14/06 11:41 PM (permalink)
                                                Dog some of the crew at the Cafe have been to the Vine and only have good things to say, I think your going to like it., the tell tell of the place is the wings,. I'll have to ck out the Breadloin myself.. Still a 3 for 3 seeing you LOL
                                                The Iowa cafe Gal

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/15/06 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  News alert! http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com made the Minneapolis Star Tribune Websearch column.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/websearch/?p=144

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                                                    RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/15/06 11:41 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Davydd

News alert! http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com made the Minneapolis Star Tribune Websearch column.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/websearch/?p=144

Just a matter of time 'til you're on Letterman. I mean, he is from Indiana. Good going.
                                                    The Bear

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                      RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/16/06 3:39 AM (permalink)
                                                      Yanno..
                                                      I always hit this thread at least twice a week just drooling at the photos...
                                                      Davydd... Can you post your link to your own photos again?
                                                      I am too lazy to go back thru 19 pages of posts to look for it>
                                                      Thanks..
                                                      Tara

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                        RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/16/06 7:58 AM (permalink)
                                                        Tara,

It is http://www.porktenderloinsandwich.com

If you click on "Pursuing Pork Tenderloins" in the StarTribune article it will also send you to the web site. The printed article is slightly different with the web site URL spelled out and the St. Olaf, Iowa pork tenderloin picture banners the article with a 5" x 3" picture.

There are also featurettes of pizza, hamburgers and taco sites Roadfooders might be familiar with.

desertdog

• Location: Scottsdale, AZ
                                                          RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/16/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                                          Hey Dayvdd,

Now that you're a big shot and everything, I hope you don't forget about us "little people."

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                            • Location: columbus, oh
                                                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/16/06 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks Davydd..
                                                            I now have it bookmarked in my Fav's..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 16 of 39, messages 451 to 480 of 1147

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com