Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 27 of 39
Author
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/01 10:52:48 (permalink)
Davydd, thanks for the recommendation! We enjoyed your visit immensely.

Buffetbuster, if you decide to stop in at The Farmer's Kitchen, we'll not only tempt you with our BPT and my Mom's pies, but also, our real hot beef & award-winning chili.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/01 19:53:30 (permalink)
Davydd-
Thanks for your opinion and the link to your previous trip report. It looks like no matter where I go, I will do well.

blizzardstormus-
I'm very appreciative of your personal invitation. I can't say for 100% sure that I will definitely be stopping in, since there are many places in the Omaha area I want to hit, but if I do go for a BPT, it will be at your place. Geographically, Atlantic looks to be the most desirable, considering another place in Iowa I am thinking about visiting. And of course, I love the idea of supporting another Roadfood.com member. Your mom's pies don't hurt, either.

Can you tell me what your hours are for this Saturday and Sunday? Thanks!!!
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/02 09:47:06 (permalink)
Buffetbuster,
We're open Saturday from 7 AM to 2 PM & closed Sunday. I am not doing anything this weekend so I can always have the fryer on for you Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/02 18:21:10 (permalink)
The "axis of tenderloins" in Western Iowa boggles my mind. This is one of the most sparsely-populated parts of Iowa with little or no growth anywhere between Des Moines in central iowa and Council Bluffs and Omaha to the West. These counties have been losing population for decades, but for some reason several small-time scratch cafes have perservered. Perhaps they are helped by serving tenderloins.

I'm thinking about just giving up what I'm doing and moving to this area for the tenderloins.

If you are going to Hamlin, why stop at just one tenderloin there when award winners in Dunlap and Manning are just 30 more miles north of your route.

I was in the Country View Cafe in Kimballton, right between Hamlin and Elk Horn today. I went inside and found one woman taking orders and cooking. After she disappeared into the kitchen, I head the unmistakable "whomp!, whomp!, whomp!" noise, followed by a pause before the crackling of bubbling oil. I think the one old lady runnning the place tenderized the meat right there while taking orders for 3 other people. The tenderloin was good too.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6374
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/02 18:41:50 (permalink)
trzhotel,

When I was at Darrell's Place, the owner, Jeff Munch, said that even though they won the 2003 IPPA award that you could stop at almost any small town in Iowa with a diner and get just as good of a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. So keep breaking new ground. There are plenty out there.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/04 14:06:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Buffetbuster,
We're open Saturday from 7 AM to 2 PM & closed Sunday. I am not doing anything this weekend so I can always have the fryer on for you Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

That is an incredibly generous offer, but I would never expect you to do something like that. Thanks for the hours and if I can make it in, I will.
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/04 18:48:31 (permalink)
Trzhotel,
Years ago when I worked and lived in Elk Horn, I would go to our sister town of Kimballton and eat at The Country View Cafe. I would order their combo sandwich which was a combination of a Breaded Loin and a hamburger. Utterly delicious! (It could also explain the shape I'm in today.

Buffetbuster,
We get excited around here when fellow Roadfooders are in the area. We don't get to see many, being out in the boondocks of America. Wherever you end up, all of the suggestions for this area is good ones.

Oh, yeah, we also have my mom's pies (like sour cream raisin.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/04 19:05:19 (permalink)
blizzardstormus-
My dilemma is that I want to hit your place, Penn Drug in Sidney, Iowa and the Wahoo Locker in Wahoo, Nebraska and all have limited hours on Saturday and are closed on Sunday. And they are in three completely different directions. I will have some tough choices to make when I get up tomorrow morning.

I know you open at 7:00AM....can you get a pork tenderloin that early?
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/04 19:13:48 (permalink)
Buffetbuster, The fryer is turned on at 6:30 AM.

Whatever direction you decide, you have picked some excellent options. I don't envy your dilemma.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/04 19:30:57 (permalink)
BB, Anyone that can put down two pies at a sitting certainly has capacity to visit the Farmer's Kitchen in Atlantic and then drive up to Elk Horn and take in the Danish Inn and visit the Danish Windmill Museum.

http://cvcinc.net/danishinn/
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/07 20:51:44 (permalink)
Here's a picture of the breaded pork tenderloin at Michaels in Des Moines. I had it for lunch today. The tenderloin is hand-pounded, dipped in buttermilk and hand-breaded. It's served on an onion roll with pickles, onions and lettuce. People in town generally agree that it's the best BPT in town and I won't disagree, although I like my sandwich a little thinner and I wish the breading was better seasoned.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/07 21:28:17 (permalink)
Jay,

Interesting that you describe Michaels as dipping in buttermilk. Just dipping in buttermilk isn't enough IMO. They should marinate it in buttermilk to fully tenderize the meat. Acids in buttermilk tenderize the meat by denaturing and unwinding the protein strings. That's what makes Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN so unique and tender. I know. After learning that I did a side by side test with the same tenderloin meat marinated and not marinated. It seems most restaurants I have visited are dippers and not marinaters. At home I am really spoiled. I use the true tenderer pork tenderloin cut and not the pork loin cut restaurants use and I marinate overnight to get a mouth melting bite. That's my $2.99 worth of advice.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 520
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/08 07:38:58 (permalink)
Davydd,
Well, after all this talk we had to hit St Olaf for ourselves. Walked in at noon on Wednesday, and the place was deserted except for Jim in his bib overalls behind the bar. I told him we came for the best tenderloin in Iowa, and he said "You mean best in the world," and I suppose it was. He had the newspaper article that mentions your website handy on the bar to show customers. Three other brand new customers walked in shortly after us with a lot of questions, and Jim was doing some hustling to take care of all of us. He looked pretty relieved when his wife walked in and took over in the kitchen.

As you know, they have three sizes, small, medium, and tremendous. I ordered the medium and my wife the small. We noticed a definite difference between the two, apparently due to the amount of tenderizing each had received. My medium had a more fall-apart texture. It looked, I guess I will say more "shreddy" than her small one. It looked like the picture of St Olaf supplied above by Trzhotel. Her small one was not as fall-apart, somewhat chewier, and we both agreed that the larger one was better.

We liked them both, though. We asked Jim to serve them the traditional way, and he applied pickles and raw onion to the sandwiches, and offered ketchup and mustard on the side. We did not need either condiment, though. The sandwiches were fine by themselves.

He also suggested sweet potato fries on the side -- they were good!

Outside we chatted with a couple of elderly ladies sitting in the sun, who said we had to get to Gunder, which has, in their opinion, better food than St Olaf. They had just eaten there after dropping off some homemade quilts at a craft store near there. Seventy-something Lena (I swear that is her name!) said she turns out one quilt after another because "...it keeps me off the streets." And she had a devlish grin when she said it.

Afterward we stopped at the Jewish deli in Postville. Walking in there is like being in the Bronx. We had a nice chat with Mordy (Mordecai) who does the cooking. He is a good guy and likes living in Iowa. One caution about this place -- careful for freshness. Some things have been there long enough to gather quite a layer of dust, and a little work with a cleaning rag would help the place a lot. I bought some chocolate bars that looked OK, but were old and stale with I opened them. But I also found some East Coast salads with good dates, and they are very fresh.

Gunder next trip.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/08 09:43:10 (permalink)
easydoesit,

I know about the famed Gunderburger that jaywagnerdsm has featured on his website that I would like to try some day even though I have pretty much avoided hamburgers as part of my road food pursuits. Did those ladies mean Gunder had a better tenderloin? Were they referring to the Irish Shanti in Gunder?

St. Olaf is one of the few places that actually serve up multiple choices in size. A lot of places might have two sizes but they are the only ones that have three that I know about. Some places like Suzie-Q in Mason City, IA will serve a two patty tenderloin.

We had an order of sweet potato fries at St. Olaf. They are in the background of the photo I posted. I'm working on a sweet potato pizza idea but have not formulated all the combined ingredients yet.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/08 09:46:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jwagnerdsm

Here's a picture of the breaded pork tenderloin at Michaels in Des Moines. I had it for lunch today. The tenderloin is hand-pounded, dipped in buttermilk and hand-breaded. It's served on an onion roll with pickles, onions and lettuce. People in town generally agree that it's the best BPT in town and I won't disagree, although I like my sandwich a little thinner and I wish the breading was better seasoned.

I almost ended up going to Michael's the last time I went through Des Moines, however I opted for Smitty's instead. Smitty's was ok but it looks like Michael's would have been the better choice.
TorontoTips
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/08 19:46:27 (permalink)
OK, I'm sure I'm going to start a firestorm with this question, but it's a sincere one, from a Canadian that has never had a BPT!

They look a lot like the pork schnitzel sandwiches that german and hungarian delis sell here in Toronto, yummy with pickles and mustard, but I'm curious about the creation process.

I hear ya' on the buttermilk marinade, but I'm wondering about the breadcrumbs (fresh or dried, etc.) and especially about the tenderloin itself.

I assume you begin with a slice with the grain running vertically (or perpendicular to) the cutting board, as opposed to laying the tenderloin muscle on it's side, right?

Whole pork tenderloins here are typically only 2" across and 12" long or so. I am trying to imagine pounding a slice of a skinny little pork tenderloin into a 10" or larger disc!

1) Is this actually a tenderloin, or is it a pork loin?
2) How thick is the pre-pounding slice of tenderloin to begin with?
3) How thick should the pork be, after pounding, but before the battering process?

Thanks, Gang!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/08 21:00:59 (permalink)
My web page tutorial and recipe should explain it all (I hope).

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html

Specifically to your three questions.

1) Most restaurants serve a pork loin not a pork tenderloin.
2) It depends on the size desired to achieve. Most restaurant cut anywhere from 4 to 8 oz. pieces.
3) After pounding the meat will be anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2" thick.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 520
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/10 05:08:57 (permalink)
Irish Shanti, yes. We did not discuss tenderloins in particular, and I'm sure they were referring to the menu in general. One said "...better at Gunder," or something like that. They only mentioned Gunder as we asked for which way out of town to get there.

The sweet potato pizza will probably be a hit in La Crosse. Several local pizza places offer a potato version.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/26 13:07:05 (permalink)
Alright folks, my cancer treatments are over and I have 60 pounds to gain back. (Well, maybe 40.) I am heading out tomorrow on a three day trip through western Iowa to sample pork tenderloins with an expected stop in Atlantic to see if Blizzard will let me have a half-order of his hot beef sandwich as a side to the tenderloin there.

We are getting ready to launch a 60,000 circulation free-distribution food publication called "Eating Iowa" and will have a comprehensive website up and running in a month or two. I have been going through my notes regarding bpt's in west-central and southwest Iowa (Iowa's Tenderloin Axis, as someone referred to it) and don't want to forget anyone. I saw mention of a restaurant in Manning and I know there's a place in Exira that I don't want to miss.

Here's a quick list of places that I want to visit on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Dairy Sweet, Dunlap
Farmer’s Kitchen, Atlantic
Larsen's Pub, Elk Horn
Darrell's Place, Hamlin
Country View Cafe in Kimballton

Please help me put together a comprehensive list. I promise to share photos when I return.

blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/26 16:04:16 (permalink)
Jwagner, it's great to hear that you're geting better. And what a great way to put on weight.

Absolutely, you can get a half hot beef with your tenderloin. Unfortunately, I won't be at the restaurant. I'm in Iowa City at the University hospital with abone infection. However, my mother, Charlene, is holding down the fort and can't wait to meet you.

For another destination, check out the BPT at the Chatterbox Cafe in Audubon. It rates right up there with the best.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/26 16:23:13 (permalink)
Jay, Sounds as if you would like to pack those 40 pounds back on pretty fast. That's an ambitious tour. In 18 days I will be heading east with a stop at Nick's Kitchen May 15 for lunch. After that I hope to find a place in Ohio and then have three more places in mind around Indianapolis, but that is over a two week period.
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/26 18:52:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

In 18 days I will be heading east with a stop at Nick's Kitchen May 15 for lunch. After that I hope to find a place in Ohio and then have three more places in mind around Indianapolis, but that is over a two week period.

Keep those of us in the Indy area posted about your plans. Would love to get together over a BPT. Go Danica.

Greg
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/30 13:57:18 (permalink)
Returned late Tuesday night after a working trip through western Iowa, primarily in the Sioux City and LeMars area. On Sunday, I spent considerable time in west-central Iowa looking for a place to grab a tenderloin. Trips through Exira, Elk Horn and Hamlin were fruitless but as I watched Kimballton disappear in my rearview mirror, I came across the Countryview Drive-Inn and had an extraordinary tenderloin there. It wasn't as thin as some I've sampled, but it was juicy and very tasty. It might be one of my new favorites.

Both Sioux City and LeMars are special food towns. I didn't get into any bpts there but had a nice lunch at Milwaukee Weiner House, an afternoon snack at Mile's Tap (the famous Charlie Boy) and dinner at Green Gables, complete with a hot fudge sundae. On Tuesday I had an early morning coney at Bob's Drive-Inn, a fantastic sandwich and corn chowder at Four Sons Grill (run by the same family as Bob's), and a nice steak at Archie's Waeside. I ended up coming home Tuesday night and so I am planning a run to Atlantic in a few weeks.

By the way, in addition to their regular tenderloin, Countryview offers a tenderloin tops with a cheeseburger, which I would have ordered if I had realized the option existed before accepting my original sandwich. Sounds a bit unpure, but I'll give it a try for the team.

(I have lots of pictures and will complete a full trip report later on, although I might post it on another thread since it has little do to with BPTs).
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/04/30 16:42:27 (permalink)
Jay, Try posting your trip in the Trip Reports forum. That would be a better location.

gregsgoatfarm, My current itinerary is to have dinner at the Carolina Grill near Zionsville Thursday, May 22 with my sister, B-I-L and two other friends. The next night I will be at Grindstone Charley's in Speedway for our standing annual Speedway high school reunion. I did an inventory last year and people had come from 14 different states as far away as California and Florida. On Saturday I suspect my sister will have a cookout with lots of friends and family. The race of course on Sunday.
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/01 21:04:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

My current itinerary is to have dinner at the Carolina Grill near Zionsville Thursday, May 22 with my sister, B-I-L and two other friends. The next night I will be at Grindstone Charley's in Speedway for our standing annual Speedway high school reunion. I did an inventory last year and people had come from 14 different states as far away as California and Florida. On Saturday I suspect my sister will have a cookout with lots of friends and family. The race of course on Sunday.

Doesn't look like you're going to have too many opportunities to try new places this trip unless the Carolina Grill you mentioned is this joint.

http://www.mycarolinagrill.com/default.aspx

When BPTs are mentioned on page one... But you've been known for two-a-days so there's still hope. Amazing that a school as small as the Speedway Sparkplugs has an annual reunion. I assume all classes are invited.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/01 22:03:17 (permalink)
Greg, That's the place, The Carolina Grill. I'm going on faith from a recommendation by one of my former classmates.

The standing reunion is just the class of 1962. We graduated 120, have an e-mail list of over 70 and will have 30-40 show up. Like me, a lot come back to Speedway every year for the race. It is kind of nice to have a common bond and excuse to do so.
Harvstr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/07 18:08:40 (permalink)
I have another one to add to your "western Iowa axis of tenderloins" it's Deb's Cafe in Manning IA. My fiance is from western IA and I have had Darrell's, Country View, Farmer's Kitchen, Larsens and Deb's is one if the top, the pie is great there too! Whenever I go to Darrell's I order 2 at a time. I thought I was the only one this crazy for tenderloins till I found DaveD's website, I'm getting ready to fry up some in about an hour!

Dave-
Anytime you are in Western IA or Central IA (I'm at school in Ames) look me up. I'd love to have a tenderloin with ya!
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/10 15:58:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Harvstr

I have another one to add to your "western Iowa axis of tenderloins" it's Deb's Cafe in Manning IA. My fiance is from western IA and I have had Darrell's, Country View, Farmer's Kitchen, Larsens and Deb's is one if the top, the pie is great there too! Whenever I go to Darrell's I order 2 at a time. I thought I was the only one this crazy for tenderloins till I found DaveD's website, I'm getting ready to fry up some in about an hour!

Dave-
Anytime you are in Western IA or Central IA (I'm at school in Ames) look me up. I'd love to have a tenderloin with ya!

Great tip. Any idea if they are open on weekends?
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/13 11:33:17 (permalink)
B-Bops is a local burger chain in Central Iowa that often wins "best burger" polls around here. Are there other local chains around the midwest that serve frozen pre-formed tender-loin?

Around here its Maid-rite, Culvers, and Casey's General Store who probably sell the most tenerloins by volume.

J-WAG,
did you get to meet with the IPPA? I would like to know more about how they judge the tenderloins.

The Summer 2007 Issue of the Hoosier Farmer has a section with 3 articles on tenderloins, focusing on Nick's Kitchen, they've only been using pork since "about 1920". Its leaves the door open for my "Iowa Theory" of BPT evolution. I will learn Czech and go through the archives of the Czech heritage museam, emerging with complete footnotes in a few months.
http://www.davisgraphics.com/images/farmersummer07.pdf
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/14 14:17:33 (permalink)
The Iowa Pork Producers are at it again with their annual "Iowa's Annual Best Pork Tenderloin Sandwich."

If you would like to nominate a restaurant, go to
http://www.iowapork.org/pork_checkoff/restaurant/best_bpt_nom08.html
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 27 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1