Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 39
Author
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/14 20:41:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blizzardstormus

The Iowa Pork Producers are at it again with their annual "Iowa's Annual Best Pork Tenderloin Sandwich."

If you would like to nominate a restaurant, go to
http://www.iowapork.org/pork_checkoff/restaurant/best_bpt_nom08.html

Are Indiana restaurants allowed to be nominated for this prestigious award? Could be Iowa's best Pork Tenderloin may be in the Hoosier State.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/16 00:17:49 (permalink)
I know feelings run strong in Indiana regarding pork tenderloins, but if yours are one tenth better than the ones I've sampled in western Iowa in recent days, my eyes would roll up into the back of my head and I would die a very happy death.

I talked to IPPA about a new food publication that I am launching next month but we only talked briefly about the contest. I will get more info and report back to you.

Anybody have plans to go to the World Pork Congress in Des Moines next month? Mostly barbecue on the menu there but lots of good eats just the same.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/26 01:06:15 (permalink)
Okay, I am no expert on BPTs. I have had more than a few in my time. I definitely enjoy them, and will order them, when on the menu {and when in Indiana}. But no expert am I.

Anyhoo, I was in Indiana last week, and got to try two.

Score's Pub, in Columbus, Indiana. We got it to go. I really enjoyed it with the onions and pickles. I would have preferred mustard, instead of mayo.

The next, I actually didn't order, but my other compadres did. This is from the Artist's Colony Restaurant in Nashville, Indiana. Not a good picture.

Maybe the picture is not as good, because the sandwich was not as good as the one at Score's {?} .
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6337
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/27 11:34:23 (permalink)
I just completed the first part of my Spring 2008 breaded pork tenderloin sandwich tour. The full report can be found here.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27766

Before heading out we did have one more Minnesota sampling at Bunny's in St. Louis Park. It was a beer battered tenderloin served with toast. That is a Minnesota variation.

fischgrape
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/28 23:46:50 (permalink)
I must admit to not checking all 31 pages of this thread, but do any of you know of a source for BPT sandwiches in the Northeast? We are accumulating good barbecue (Big W's) and have great burger and hot dog joints around, and the ice cream?

If need be, I'll make my own damn BPT sandwich...I am a CIA grad, after all. But, it always tastes better when someone else makes it. Still, if any of you have a good recipe, I would appreciate it...and maybe start a roadside stand.

Good eatin'!

john
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/29 00:00:28 (permalink)
Fischgrape,

DavyDD had the best recipe for pork tenderloins on his website. http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwich_Blog/Entries/2006/12/31_2006_Holiday_Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwich.html
I don't know of any place up your way that has BPTs. But come on out to Iowa and we'll feed ya.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/29 07:58:13 (permalink)
John,

I doubt you will find one east of the Appalachians. There is one in McLean, VA outside Washington DC but that seems to be about it. This message thread and my website porktenderloinsandwich.com should give you just about everything you need to know.

Last night I watched Deep Fried Paradise on the Travel Channel. It was an hour show that featured just about everything deep fried known to Americans. Would you believe they totally missed the deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich? Probably produced by New Yorkers or Calfornians missing flyover land once again.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2216
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/29 08:58:12 (permalink)
@Davydd: From your recipe, "I mixed white flour with ample salt, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder and coated each tenderloin prior to marinating them."

What is accomplished by coating the tenderloins before marinating them? pb

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/29 10:52:35 (permalink)
I think the flour provides the "glue" to hold the marinade onto the meat. It turns it into kind of sticky paste. It is pretty common in fried recipes to flour before marinade and then to bread.
fischgrape
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/31 20:36:47 (permalink)
Thanks to jwagner and Davydd for the recipe and information. Maybe I can help you back a little.

At the CIA, we have a breading method called, of all things, Standard Breading Procedure (SBP). When fried properly, the color of the item is Golden Brown and Delicious (GB&D). See, we have acronyms just like the evil CIA.

So, SBP is to dredge the item in (seasoned) flour, dip in egg wash and then bread, either with fresh (soft) breadcrumbs or with Panko. The method in Davydd's recipe is remarkably similar, although he rests and soaks the meat a bit more, which can't hurt. I must say, though, that pork tenderloins are so tender that I can't imagine the need to make them even moreso. Perhaps regular pork loin would benefit more from such treatment, and it sounds like a lot of the pros use regular loin meat anyway.

Of course, now I'm going to make some of these sandwiches. Maybe I'll even start a roadside stand here in the Hudson Valley!

Good eatin'!

john
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/05/31 23:33:08 (permalink)
John,

The only restaurant I am aware of that will marinate overnight is Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN. Emeril recommends this also for deep-fried chicken. It makes a super tender treat. Most restaurants do use pork loins not tenderloins. I know you've never tasted anything like I make when you marinate true pork tenderloin. You may never get it in a restaurant.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/06/05 20:03:10 (permalink)
Davydd

I thought you might like this link
[url='http://www.indianafoodways.com/culinarytrails/TenderloinTrail.php']Indiana Tenderloin Trail[/url]

You up for another indiana tenderloin tour?

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/06/06 22:40:50 (permalink)
CK,

I am aware of the Indiana Tenderloin Trail. They are missing quite a few opportunities and the reason is they are depending on local visitor bureaus to help fund them. Gasoline is killing their budget thus they are not getting out to all the restaurants. I know too. Man, I just completed another 1,700 mile trip on top of a previous 2,781 mile trip and all I got out of it was 11 tenderloins.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/06/06 22:46:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jwagnerdsm

I know feelings run strong in Indiana regarding pork tenderloins, but if yours are one tenth better than the ones I've sampled in western Iowa in recent days, my eyes would roll up into the back of my head and I would die a very happy death.

Jay,

I have now sampled all five IPPA winners. More on that later. Go to Indiana and you will die a happy death.

BTW, if you want to sample the best of the best of the winners in Iowa get yourself up to Gilbert at the Suburban Restaurant on Hwy 69 just north of Ames.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/06/07 21:22:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

CK,

I am aware of the Indiana Tenderloin Trail. They are missing quite a few opportunities and the reason is they are depending on local visitor bureaus to help fund them. Gasoline is killing their budget thus they are not getting out to all the restaurants. I know too. Man, I just completed another 1,700 mile trip on top of a previous 2,781 mile trip and all I got out of it was 11 tenderloins.

Man that's 156 miles per tenderloin, hope you got better gas mileage.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/06/08 13:40:33 (permalink)
CK, I got a little more than just the tenderloins out of it. Part 2 of our trips was just posted here.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28000

I covered two more IPPA winners on this trip at the Dairy Sweet in Dunlap, IA (2005 winner and the Suburban Restaurant in Gilbert (2004 winner). I've now sampled all five winners from 2003 through 2007 and can now relax and wait for the 2008 announcement hopefully in time before I pass through Iowa again in September on my way to Moab, Utah.

BTW, the tenderloin article in The Iowan mentioned that several Milwaukee, WI restaurants served the tenderloin and called it the "Iowa Skinny". Does anyone know what restaurants in Milwaukee calls them that? Last year I had scoured Milwaukee with the aid a a local and came up with nothing but this.
[url='http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwich_Blog/Entries/2007/3/18_Johnny_V%E2%80%99s_Classic_Cafe%2C_West_Allis%2C_WI.html']Johnny V's Classic Cafe[/url]
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/10 20:15:05 (permalink)
Davydd, I finally got around to your suggestion to marinate our loins. There is a marked difference! However, my cooks are complaining that the marinaded loins tend to fall apart when they bread them and it is taking longer to fry. Any suggestions?
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1841
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/11 13:51:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ross

Originally posted by Davydd

....I went out of my way to stop at Joensy's in Solon and would rate iy about 11th best behind 9 Indiana tenderloins and one Minnesota tenderloin. The only Indiana tenderloin it beat was the one that started me on this pursuit.....
I don't know what happened to the Solon Joensy's. The last 2 times we went I was very disappointed in the tenderloin and we have quit going there. They just weren't crisp, kind of soggy. The Joensy's in Center Point still has great tenderloins, plus they are priced differently than the Solon Joensy's. The large tenderloin in Centerpoint is $5 while the same size in Solon is $8. I had one in Center Point last week and it was excellent.

An update:

I was born and raised in Solon, IA. (Class '84 GO SPARTANS!!!) I have eaten there(Jonesy's) literally hundreds of times, moved away in '00, and while visiting family 6/08 stopped in to revisit a fond culinary memory... a pork tenderloin sandwich.

Under new management, unfortunately, I would not recomend it to a friend. They used to be made from scratch in house. What arrived on my plate I swear came frozen out of a box, factory prepped.

"You can never go home again" holds a little truth. We tend to think of home as not just a place, but a point in time.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/11 14:55:10 (permalink)
Just got back from Iowa, and Did I have a great Pork Tenderloin sandwich. It is from a little place right on Clear Lake in Clear Lake Iowa it is called: PM Park. A real old fashioned summertime campy roadfood type restaurant. I swear the Meat was about 10 - 11 in. crispy battered and as creamy and smooth as butter with a fresh pork taste. I could barely eat it all, it came with fries and pickles. The only thing is it felt like the bun was too small other than that it was a most delicious creation. Go Iowa!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/11 17:28:56 (permalink)
Clear Lake would be an easy day trip for us. We will be heading through Iowa again in September on our way to Utah.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/12 19:28:57 (permalink)
Joensy's of Solon was featured in Taste of the Midwest on the PBS Digital Channel. The segment was filmed before they were ever shut down for health code violations. The cook claims to start with 10 oz. cuts of pork, but later in the segment claims the entire sandwich weighs "about a pound". I never ate here when I lived in Eastern Iowa, and my work doesn't take me their either. I hear they are better at promoting their tenderloins than they are at making them.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/13 10:48:59 (permalink)
If Joensy's in Solon is under new management and not making them from scratch anymore are they still advertising them as the biggest and best? I would find it hard to believe someone could be supplying them that way. We ate there two years ago before they were shut down. They were indeed big but they were thin compared to St. Olaf. Also their breading was mostly fine cornmeal which is my least favorite.

They seem to be in the same category as Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel (since closed), Mug n' Bun (Speedway, IN), and The Igloo (Peru,IL) with lots of early publicity and continued word of mouth by news organizations, etc., but not really living up to reality or maybe had changed since their initial publicity.
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/14 16:46:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by santacruz

Just got back from Iowa, and Did I have a great Pork Tenderloin sandwich. It is from a little place right on Clear Lake in Clear Lake Iowa it is called: PM Park. A real old fashioned summertime campy roadfood type restaurant. I swear the Meat was about 10 - 11 in. crispy battered and as creamy and smooth as butter with a fresh pork taste. I could barely eat it all, it came with fries and pickles. The only thing is it felt like the bun was too small other than that it was a most delicious creation. Go Iowa!

PM Park also has great hash brown on their breakfast menu. BTW, the kitchen is run by the same folks who operate the Colony in nearby Ventura, which I have mentioned here as having my favorite Iowa Tenderloin.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/07/24 20:58:30 (permalink)
Wisconsin has tenderloins. This summer I found a couple. The first was in La Crosse, WI at the Arterial.

The next one was in the north lake region in Eagle River, WI. I was not expecting to find one. I was more interested in checking out Fay's Dinky Diner that had 8 counter stools and 3 booths. It was billed as a pork fritter basket.

gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/08/05 20:26:31 (permalink)
So a friend to whom I had recommended Green Street in Brownsburg decided to turn the tables and send me here -

just off I-70 in Plainfield, IN. I've eaten there several times over the years, noticed their quality decline a bit, and never ordered their BPT. Stated friend felt Coachman's BPT was better than Green Street. I think taste memory is lots like auditory memory - we can't keep it straight for over an hour. I'm a stereo buff as well. It's been almost a year since I was at Green Street, but I have to say that this

may well have been the best BPT I have ever had. The coating was a little moist, not dry. The menu listed it as "Center Cut Pork Tenderloin". Very enjoyable.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/08/06 11:48:18 (permalink)
Looks good. Maybe it is not too early to start planning my 2009 BPT pursuit in Indiana.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4558
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 11:27:53 (permalink)
Polly Campbell is the Cincinanti Enquirer food critic, and she posted a BPT blog entry today
[url='http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3a10fdbd0d-be0f-425f-af9d-6fd739b9d0ac&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com']link[/url]
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 12:43:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Polly Campbell is the Cincinanti Enquirer food critic, and she posted a BPT blog entry today
[url='http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog14&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1921648a-c77d-4218-b8c1-5af7ab309046Post%3a10fdbd0d-be0f-425f-af9d-6fd739b9d0ac&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com']link[/url]

Stories in Greensburg. I'll have to add that one. I was at the Greensburg library three years ago doing some genealogy research. Wish I had known then. I have German ancestors from the Greensburg area as well as the Huntington area where the sandwich reputably got started. I'm curious why the BPT seems almost non-existent in the Cincinnati area ever so close yet heavily German?
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 13:27:03 (permalink)
31 pages of posts on the Indiana Pork Tenderloin Sandwich...Absolutely amazing
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1841
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 13:34:01 (permalink)
Since this thread popped up today I went to The Hambug Inn #2 in Iowa City, IA for a tenderloin sammich. Meh. Was small and kinda tough. I've had better there. The place is a Iowa City institution, but the consistancy there is spotty.

Still. Fixed my craving. It's tough to find these sandwiches outside the mid-west.
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1