Hot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 39
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7691
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 13:39:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WarToad

Meh.

What does "meh" mean
WarToad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1840
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 13:45:56 (permalink)
"Meh" = Unimpressed. So-so. Just kind of a verbalization of mediocrity.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10110
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 13:56:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

31 pages of posts on the Indiana Pork Tenderloin Sandwich...Absolutely amazing

Amazing? Yes, but not as amazing as "New Jersey Hot Dogs" with 48 pages! " />" />
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 13:57:25 (permalink)
quote:

"Meh" = Unimpressed. So-so. Just kind of a verbalization of mediocrity.

Oh, that must be the "west coast version of "eh"
that's the way we've always said it "back east"

after living in Seattle for 3 god-awful years, I noticed several nuances in different terms that are east coast vs west coast and I'm not talking about the obvious pop vs soda etc

for example

When a little kid accidentally falls and hurts themselves on the east coast- they get a "boo-boo", on the west coast its an "ow-we"

If you eat something that tastes good on the east coast and want to vocally express what your enjoying you say "yum-yum" yet on the west coast its....now get this..."num-num" - I still find that hilarious.
WarToad
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 14:00:37 (permalink)
3 years in Seattle God-aweful? I fell in love with the place. The 8 years I lived there were some of the best I've lived in the US. Summers in the Puget Sound are second to none.
plb
  • Total Posts : 1029
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 14:15:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

31 pages of posts on the Indiana Pork Tenderloin Sandwich...Absolutely amazing

There have been at least two other multi-page threads on the same subject.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 14:23:11 (permalink)
quote:

3 years in Seattle God-aweful? I fell in love with the place. The 8 years I lived there were some of the best I've lived in the US. Summers in the Puget Sound are second to none.

What I didn't like about Seattle....hmmm....

ratio of guys-girls was 3 to 1- When I left Seattle I developed a huge inferiority complex as a result which luckily I eventually overcame. I'm not going to go into detail here as I do not want to offend others- however if you choose to e-mail me- I will probably go into a 5 page detailed rant.

unfriendly, cold, impersonable and overly sensitive people- sorry, but that's what I encountered

Yes the 3 days of summer were good....
WarToad
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 14:37:18 (permalink)
Ah- ok. We had vastly different experiences then. And the myth of Seattle weather I highly encourage, as it kept people away. It's already crowded. My lawn would go brown every summer unless I watered, it was so dry and warm. And yes, the winter in Seattle is rainy. The entire west coast from San Fran to Anchorage is rainy. But it's 45 and rainy, not 25 and snowy.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 14:49:44 (permalink)
quote:

Ah- ok. We had vastly different experiences then. And the myth of Seattle weather I highly encourage, as it kept people away. It's already crowded. My lawn would go brown every summer unless I watered, it was so dry and warm. And yes, the winter in Seattle is rainy. The entire west coast from San Fran to Anchorage is rainy. But it's 45 and rainy, not 25 and snowy.

You know what's interesting...

I worked in New York, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Rhode Island, all in the same field and Seattle was the only place where our office would get bomb threats on a regular basis....

I just found the people there really, really, off...

It was just.... too much for this personable, friendly, blunt, "in your face" New Yorker...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10110
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 14:55:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

I worked in New York, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Rhode Island, all in the same field and Seattle was the only place where our office would get bomb threats on a regular basis....

It was just.... too much for this personable, friendly, blunt, "in your face" New Yorker...

Yeh BUT---You had good expensive coffee and the Pike Place Fish Market!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 15:11:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Yeh BUT---You had good expensive coffee and the Pike Place Fish Market!

I'll give you that....

Great craft brews, amazing salmon and the best halibut and chips that I've ever had too!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6328
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/11 17:28:40 (permalink)
You guys are a bit off topic. Why don't you take it elsewhere.
trzhotel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/19 00:49:49 (permalink)
Tenderloins may not be rich enough for me, after I tried the tenderloin topped with a cheeseburger at Goldie's in Prairie City:

Soft beef with seared edges, soft bun, soft pork, its a soft sandwich, and great melt job with the cheese. They top it with locally raised beef, in burger form or italian sausage. Its one of the best ice-cream shops in the state.

If I open my own restaurant, I may try some other topping. Perhaps dunking a tenderloin in nacho cheese and frying it again.

The last part of the Tenderloin Loop of Wester Iowa to get mentioned here, The Red Barn in Exira:

It was $3.45, but I think they should charge more for the tourists. Its just not fair if out-of-staters get this good of a sandwich for less than four bucks.

This is the Jethro, from Jethro's in Des Moines. Its more of a joke at the top of the meny than an actual sandwich. It was no match for me. I couldn't get a good picture, but it has bacon, sliced ham, and pulled pork on top of an okay tenderloin:

And for the record, Seattle stinks.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6203
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/19 01:09:39 (permalink)
Wow!!!!
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/20 21:59:57 (permalink)
This sandwich was once voted #1 in Indianapolis by the readers of Indianapolis Monthly magazine.

It is prepared by and served at this establishment on West Washington Street in Indianapolis.

The sandwich had the aroma of old cooking oil. Texture wasn't too bad. The restaurant was filthy in every respect. It was closed for a while. Supposedly the old owner is now leasing it. It's a landmark diner that should be preserved, but in its current state it's an embarrassment to roadfood.
accasbel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/21 20:46:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gregsgoatfarm

This sandwich was once voted #1 in Indianapolis by the readers of Indianapolis Monthly magazine....

I've had their tenderloins, was never that impressed. Wayyy back in the day there was a west side Dog-n-Suds at I465-n-Rockville road. THAT was a tenderloin. The place got bought out, steamrollered, and a gas station was built. Not one of the better choices for humanity.

The Mayberry Cafe in Danville has a good tenderloin. Sorry, no pics.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/21 21:55:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by accasbel

The Mayberry Cafe in Danville has a good tenderloin. Sorry, no pics.

No problem. A photo of the Mayberry Cafe tenderloin is here...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423&whichpage=26
DSMHorse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/26 10:16:36 (permalink)
I'm a new poster, but have grown fond of the pork tenderloin postings. I found this video on Youtube. Doesn't show them breading the tenderloin, but the tenderloin sandwiches look great at the end.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dHdy8hLPlo
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/26 10:44:55 (permalink)
I was disappointed in the jethro tenderloin, as I have been with Jethro's overall. I just don't think it's that good. (Plus, the last time I was there the owner and his wife / girlfriend sat at the bar and sucked face non-stop for about an hour.)
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/26 17:40:12 (permalink)
OK, yesterday was my birthday (60, in case you wondered), so Joann and I went off in search of the elusive Indiana breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. First to Morgantown. Totally unfruitful. Some International Cafe that had nothing international on the menu. Then to a biker bar across the street. Uh-no. So off to Bloomington, home of Indiana University. I love the ethnic restaurants near to campus, but I knew they wouldn't have a Turkish, Thai, or Mexican BPT. So we wandered around Courthouse Square, surveying The Trojan Horse (Greek), Grazie (Italian), and Scotty's Brewhouse. The last had a BPT!

Sadly I forgot my camera. The BPT is a bit pricey at $10.25 including one side. It was really very, very good on a sesame seed bun. The trimmings were miniscule so I had to ask for extra onion, lettuce, and tomato. The waffle fries were very good. Don't bother loading the fries. A tiny drizzle of cheese for $2.25 isn't worth it. The deep-fried battered dill pickle slices were the best I've ever had (appetizer). Their peanut butter pie was second only to the slice I had at Redfish Grill in New Orleans. Stick to the beer since their cocktails are outrageously expensive (twelve bucks for an Irish coffee - I don't think so).

This is an Indiana chain with outlets in Muncie (Ball State), Lafayette (Purdue), Bloomington and Carmel, with a new one to open soon in downtown Indy. Why Terre Haute (Indiana State) is the ugly stepchild who never gets anything is beyond me. Pricey sandwiches, sports-oriented atmosphere, kids welcome. I think they've kind of distilled what Hoosiers like onto one menu (except for chicken-fried steak and that awful jello/marshmallow/carrot/whatever side dish).

http://www.scottysbrewhouse.com/
plb
  • Total Posts : 1029
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/09/26 22:24:05 (permalink)
I too was recently in Indiana on my 60th birthday looking for BPT. I had a pretty good one at the Triple XXX Drive-In in West Lafayette. It was called the Leroy Loin (after the great Leroy Keys).

A few days later I had the best ever at its birthplace, Nick's Kitchen. It was even better and a little thicker that the one at Nick's Country Café.

The one at Plump's Last Shot in Indy was thinner, but still had more meat that the ones I grew up on at Burkie’s Drive-In in Muncie. Based on what I read here I skipped the one at Mug 'N' Bun Drive-In and went with the cheeseburger.

The last one was at The Port Drive-In which turned out to be commercial fritter (but better than the Pete’s Pride of my youth).
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/05 16:41:13 (permalink)
The Iowa Prok Producers have named this years winner for the "Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich". It's a small restuarant in Oxford Iowa called "Augusta", named after the Oxford main street. Now I'll have to try the tenderloin, but it's hard because I love their cajun and creole dishes.

It's a great restuarant and I've eaten there several times. They have the best cajun and creole dishes I've found anywhere outside ot the best New Orleans restuarants. They don't have a big menu but always wonderful specials. It's close to I80, just west of Iowa City.

http://www.augustarestaurant.net/index.shtml
post edited by Jim Ross - 2009/03/12 09:15:11
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/05 19:32:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ross

The Iowa Prok Producers have named this years winner for the "Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich". It's a small restuarant in Oxford Iowa called "Augusta", named after the Oxford main street.

Now I know why Indiana's breaded tenderloins taste so much better than those from Iowa. Ours are make from pork while those from Iowa are made from the tenderloin of a legendary Persian bird of prey:

All these years I always thought the tenderloins from Iowa tasted alot like chicken.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/13 18:54:41 (permalink)
You'll find my report on the Augusta Restaurant in Oxford, IA IPPA 2008 Winner at the end of my report here.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30902
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/14 10:07:12 (permalink)
I decided to do a new blog entry on pork tenderloin sandwiches at porktenderloinsandwich.com after more than a year's layoff. Here is my review of all the IPPA winners.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwich_Blog/Entries/2008/10/13_Iowa%E2%80%99s_Best_Pork_Tenderloin_Sandwiches.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/17 18:22:22 (permalink)
Here is the first Missouri winner a week too late for me to try. I was in Northwest Missouri just last week.

October 17, 2008

For More Information, contact
Diane Slater, (573) 445-8375
Boonville Restaurant Wins First in Missouri’s Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin Contest

Northwest corner of Missouri captures second and third.

Columbia, Mo.,—The Missouri Pork Association has announced the The Udder End Café in Boonville as the winner of MPA’s first annual Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin Contest.

The Café sets inside the Farmers Livestock Auction in Boonville, and has been managed by Janet Carmack for the past six years. She will receive a check for $500, a plaque and statewide publicity. On October 21, KCLR Radio (Clear 99) will host a live remote at the restaurant from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.

“We are just a small restaurant, and only open on sale days,” said Janet. “I am shocked, and pleased, that we have the best breaded pork tenderloin in Missouri.”

She purchases whole pork loins locally from Country Mart, and has them butterfly and tenderize it into eight-ounce portions. She then double-dips each portion in evaporated milk and a special breading.

The Udder End Café isn’t Janet’s first experience with the restaurant business. She grew up in Arrow Rock where she worked in the family store. She has also worked at Thurman’s in Glasgow.

Northwest Missouri Captures Second and Third

Pop’s Place Sports Bar & Grill in St. Joseph, Mo. placed second and will receive $300. Cook’s Corner Café in Dearborn placed third and will receive $200. Three restaurants received an Honorable Mention and a check for $100: Bob’s Fishing Lake in Savannah, Ed’s Eats in Savannah, and Legend’s Sports Bar & Grill in St. Joseph.

Twenty-eight restaurants were nominated for the contest. A selection committee chose six finalists, which were then visited by a three-member evaluation team. The committee judges the sandwiches on taste, physical characteristics and appearance.

All Missouri restaurants, cafés and taverns serving breaded or battered pork tenderloin sandwiches are eligible to participate.

The Missouri Pork Association represents the state’s pork producers in the areas of promotion, research, education and legislation. For more information about this or any other programs of the Missouri Pork Association, go to www.mopork.com, or call the Missouri Pork Association office at (573) 445-8375.

gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/17 19:00:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Here is the first Missouri winner a week too late for me to try. I was in Northwest Missouri just last week.
She purchases whole pork loins locally from Country Mart, and has them butterfly and tenderize it into eight-ounce portions. She then double-dips each portion in evaporated milk and a special breading.

I don't see where she uses pork tenderloins, just loins. Shouldn't that disqualify the restaurant?
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/17 19:53:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by gregsgoatfarm

quote:

I don't see where she uses pork tenderloins, just loins. Shouldn't that disqualify the restaurant?

No.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/17 19:55:49 (permalink)
Greg, Find me a restaurant that uses a true pork tenderloin. If they are big and thick they are more than likely a pork loin.
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2008/10/17 20:01:48 (permalink)
quote:

Greg, Find me a restaurant that uses a true pork tenderloin. If they are big and thick they are more than likely a pork loin.

I will work on that. I thought some you had found were indeed tenderloins. Big and thick aren't measures of quality, but you know that. Spent Sunday at the Parke County Covered Bridge Festival. Seems every other stand had "Giant Tenderloins". They were all large, and they all looked as though they came off the same machine.

Yours in BPT heaven,

Greg
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1