Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 39
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/06/25 11:58:58 (permalink)
So how does everyone like their tenderloins? Personally, I like it with mayo, lettuce and tomato served on a kaiser roll...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15334
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/06/25 13:03:59 (permalink)

When I order a Culver's Tenderloin sandwich they ask if I want it breaded or grilled. I have tried it both ways and prefer the Breaded and Fried to the grilled 'bare' meat. Then I add (double)grilled onions, Tomato slices, and 'easy on the Mayo'. That about does it for me.
I guess that is a slightly odd combination as when I order it thru the drive-up communicator, I get a response from the Manager " Hiya Mr Mayor, We'll get it right out to you" !! Apparently he monitors the drive-up window ordering device?
Our local Culver's does a pretty good job on their Tenderloin Sandwiches.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6426
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/06/25 15:23:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

So how does everyone like their tenderloins? Personally, I like it with mayo, lettuce and tomato served on a kaiser roll...

Lettuce, tomato and pickle on a bun. If the loin is juicey enough I do not need anything else. Sometimes I will add mustard.
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/06/25 17:10:21 (permalink)
Mustar, mayo, pickles on a toasted bun. Just got back from southren Indiana. Little place in Vincennes, McCoys. A tiny little cafe/grocery, best one I have ever eaten!

The Lady
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/01 16:59:24 (permalink)
The Minnetonka Drive In located in the Lake Minnetonka area on County Road 15 in Spring Park, MN between Navarre and Mound 20 miles west of downtown Minneapolis serves up this delicious pork tenderloin sandwich for $3.79. The Minnetonka Drive In is a carhop restaurant similar to the Peppermint Twist in Delano, MN and the Mug'n'Bun in Speedway, IN.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/01 18:18:49 (permalink)

We picked up several whole Pork Loins this week (on sale@ $1.99 a lb) Cut several into 1 inch+ thick chops and put Janet to work pounding the heck out of them. Using a meat-Mallet it takes just a few whacks to get them tenderized and spread to double their original size.
Placed on individual sheets of waxed paper you can get 6 in a freezer bag easily. We now have 2 dozen ready for either direct grilling or breading & frying, whichever technique seems handy at the time.
Meantime I have stopped getting the Culvers Burgers for awhile...It is Pork Tenderloins only at the drive-thru for the Mayor.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/02 21:58:02 (permalink)
Al, that is one heckuva price. I was paying at least twice that much. Since I am finding more and more pork tenderloin restaurants including a Culver's about 2 miles away I am looking at my newly purchased deep fryer as a chore. But come this winter when the car hop places close down I might tire of Culver's and pull out the fryer.

I kind of like your idea of pounding those tenderloins flat and freezing them. To thaw, might I suggest in a marinade of your favorite drink? I was thinking possibly a good ale or maybe even Jack Daniels. Wine...no. The pork tenderloin is a blue collar neighborhood pub, bowling alley, drive in food (hey! Roadfood). Wine won't do.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/02 23:01:22 (permalink)

Davy,
Based on the price you mentioned I would have to point out that I am using whole boneless Pork Loins, not just the "Tenderloin". They are "Commercial wrapped whole loins" and out local Supermarket had them at the same price that we found earlier in the week at Costco.
They work great for 'overhanging' a burger bun when you make a sandwich!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/03 19:48:53 (permalink)
Al, I underestimated what I paid. I didn't go to a discount store and I did buy the tenderloin. I bought my last one at an upscale grocer at $6.99/lb. A whole tenderloin usually weighs about 1-1/3 lbs. Hormel sells prepacked branded tenderloins a tad cheaper pr-spiced in a variety of ways. I've seen them in Minneapolis and Indianapolis. They do make great sandwiches. Here is the last one I bought...

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/03 20:50:34 (permalink)
I thought so. The Loins we get at 7-9lbs and run 24-30 inches in length. They slice into great pork chops, but pound out into even better "tenderized cutlets". I'l photograph the next one we get!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7372
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/03 21:15:23 (permalink)
To Al and Others,
I have found a better way to pound out your pork loin or tenderloin. Instead of using one of those "meat tenderizers" use a basic French rolling pin, or any rolling pin for that matter. The French version doesn't have those handles and is easier to use for "whacking". The reason I prefer the rolling pin is that it flattens out the meat without making holes in it, thus not losing any of the meat juices as it cooks. And yes, I often bread pork and fry it, serve it up with lots of lemon wedges and a big salad and I'm happy! Same method works for boneless chicken if needed to pound it thin.
Hastyman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/03 22:53:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

I like mine the (two) ways I grew up eating them: with just ketchup and sliced red onion, or with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, ketchup, mustard, and thousand island dressing. The latter is the "deluxe" at the JaMar Drive-In in Ft. Dodge, IA, and if I ever taste a better tenderloin, I'll never admit it.
Kogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/06 15:55:51 (permalink)
I grew up in Waterloo, IA, went to college in the Des Moines area and left Iowa 30 years ago and landed in metro Detroit. For many years I only had a tenderloin when I would go home for a visit and that was not very often. NOBODY in Detroit had a clue about pork tenderloins and it wasn't until I stumbled upon roadfood.com and this forum that I found people who "feel my pain". I bought some tenderloins from Amana Meat Shop (they were pretty good) and have infected several of my friends here acute "tenderloinitis". We order them 30 at a time and split them up. Culver's recently opened a store in Lansing (about a hour away), but that is the closest place I can go.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/06 20:39:49 (permalink)
Kogs,

I felt the same way in Minneapolis and on closer inspection have found, besides Culvers, seven places serving them and know of two others that I have not tried yet. Car hop drive Ins, bowling alleys with grills, and independent bar pubs and grills are your best bets to find them. It is a fun hunt tracking them down. You end up in places you never think of. Be prepared for disappointments unless you like bar food in general. Detroit is not that far from the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich epicenter of Huntington, Indiana (south of Fort Wayne) not to have them I would think. They do die out fast once you get beyond the three "I' state axis and a little bit of Missouri.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/07 21:32:51 (permalink)
Here are two more pork tenderloin sandwich pursuits. The first is from the 5-8 Club on Cedar Avenue just north of Highway 62 in Minneapolis, MN.

This next one is from the Park Tavern on Louisiana Blvd just north of Highway 7 in St. Louis Park, MN

Enjoy!
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/08 00:47:13 (permalink)
DavyDD... Awesome Pics! Thanks for creating a Tenerloin Craving in the middle of the night... Worse yet, you created one in Tenderloin Starved Michigan... ARGHHHHH...
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/08 00:52:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Kogs

I grew up in Waterloo, IA, went to college in the Des Moines area and left Iowa 30 years ago and landed in metro Detroit. For many years I only had a tenderloin when I would go home for a visit and that was not very often. NOBODY in Detroit had a clue about pork tenderloins and it wasn't until I stumbled upon roadfood.com and this forum that I found people who "feel my pain". I bought some tenderloins from Amana Meat Shop (they were pretty good) and have infected several of my friends here acute "tenderloinitis". We order them 30 at a time and split them up. Culver's recently opened a store in Lansing (about a hour away), but that is the closest place I can go.

Kogs! Welcome to Roadfood!! Glad to see another Michigander get onboard... We have 1 Culvers here just ouside Grand Rapids (in Grandville). Only problem is that it's on the other side of town, in traffic jam city. We have one thats being built about 4 miles from my house (Cascade), so I'll try one as soon as that place opens up!
You might want to look up WaffleHouseRules in the forums here... He's also in Waterford and may know of a hidden treasure there..

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/09 09:54:00 (permalink)
Culvers webstie, http://www.culvers.com/ has a restaurant locator. It looks like Michigan is getting a few more. Nearest one to Detroit is going to be at the Southland Shopping Center.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/09 09:58:41 (permalink)
Here's another one to crave over. If you go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400 you can find these sold during the race at concession stands. They're not bad at all.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/09 10:06:45 (permalink)
While you are in Indiana you might as well try the chosen winner of the best breaded pork tenderloin sandwich by Indy Men's Magazine last April, 2005. The Nickel Plate in Fishers, IN, a northeast suburb, bested 63 others in a taste down tournament.

carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/10 00:46:47 (permalink)
An excellent tenderloin on I-70 is at exit 66 in Missouri at the Brownsville Station. it's become a tradition to stop there when we head that way. It's a real classic.
Kogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/10 16:48:20 (permalink)
Hey Unc!

I know your neighborhood over there. We lived in Fremont for awhile (1977-1979) and my oldest son played football (and graduated!) from GVSU. My car is on auto-pilot to GR. You have another Culver's a little closer than Grandville and even closer now that you have the south beltline (M-6 I think it's called). The first Culver's in GR is near the intersection of 52nd and Division, right in front of Home Depot. When I couldn't stand it anymore, we made a ROADtrip for ROADfood!

Kogs
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/12 20:15:29 (permalink)
Best of my knowledge, Arby's doesn't serve a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich as we know and love them.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/13 12:30:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Best of my knowledge, Arby's doesn't serve a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich as we know and love them.

ah shucks!!! and i was sooooo looking forward to one!!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/17 00:28:59 (permalink)
It was so hot today we decided to take in a movie to beat the heat since we have no air conditioning. When we got out of the movie at 7 PM it was still 101 degrees! So we dared not go go home and try to cook indoors or out. We went to Adrian's instead at 48th and Chicago Ave. So. in Minneapolis, MN just three blocks north of Minnehaha Creek to continue the pork tenderloin sandwich pursuit. Adrian's is a small neighborhood bar grill not more than 17 feet wide with booths on the walls and a small bar up front. One waitress and one cook ran the place. We ordered their deep fried pork tenderloin sandwich along with onion rings on the side. The tenderloin was a prepackaged loin not prepared on site. It was served sliced in half with wheat toast, lettuce, pickles, chips and a mayo with a hint of horse radish. It was very thin and not your robust hanger over variety and not your traditional kind popular in Indiana. It tasted fine. The atmosphere was local but we did not feel out of place. They had a rerun of the Tour de France on one of the TVs so we watched that. Tap beer was $2.50 per glass. The tenderloin was $4.95. Anyway this is the tenderloin:

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/17 19:56:17 (permalink)
No air conditioning. We had an unusual spell of 9 straight days over 90 degrees with the lows only about 75 degrees here in Minnesota. Still, the house is designed to stay cool naturally and never got above 82 degrees. But after 8 straight days it started to tilt warmer because the heat sink system saturated and could no longer cool down fast enough overnight. Conversely the bedroom window remains open 365 days per year even when it gets down to more than 20 below 0 degrees. It's not perfect but not bad either for just a couple days per year of possible inconvience. The warmest day we ever had was 106 degrees in 1988 and the house rose to 88 degrees. I wasn't home to regulate it or it would not have gone that high. The house is a multi-level heavy timber frame construction with concrete floors and extruded polystyrene sandwich insulated exterior walls (like a freezer). Everything works on mass storage temperature to regulate the house. I could stick one tiny window air conditioner in and it would cool the entire house but that would be no fun.

Look on the positive side. It got me out one more time to pursue a pork tenderloin sandwich.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/17 22:03:00 (permalink)
Davydd, we are going to be in Minneapolis later this week. Where would be the one place to get a great pork tenderloin based on your recent research? All of your photos are great, but we'll probably have time for only one of those places. Which one should it be?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/17 23:23:36 (permalink)
zataar,

Maybe the one place I have not been to yet--Sullys on Central Ave. No. in Northeast Minneapolis. But after reading this review, http://www.reneeandsteve.com/sully.htm I am not so sure. I had heard other good comments but this review sounds too much like Adrian's pork tenderloin sandwich and I distrust Minnesotan impressions if they haven't tried them elsewhere.

Number one for experience and sandwich would be Peppermint Twist Drive In in Delano. It is the traditional pork tenderloin sandwich on a bun and very tasty. Second would be the Minnetonka Drive In in Spring Park. If you want the pub experience then it would be the 5-8 Club on Cedar Ave. just north of Crosstown Highway 62 in South Minneapolis close to the airport. It is also a good traditional large pork tenderloin on a bun. These three places will give you a pork tenderloin sandwich the expected way. One caution, if you have had pork tenderloin sandwiches in Indiana or Iowa you probably will not be all that impressed. I don't bill Minnesota as a mecca for them. Maybe a deep fried walleye sandwich on a hoagie bun? Those are harder to get outside Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/17 23:33:30 (permalink)
Here is some more help.

http://www.yourlocalfood.com/Southwest_Sbs/Minnetonka_drive_in/minnetonka_drive_in.htm

http://www.5-8club.com/
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/07/20 19:19:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Here is some more help.

http://www.yourlocalfood.com/Southwest_Sbs/Minnetonka_drive_in/minnetonka_drive_in.htm

http://www.5-8club.com/

Thanks Davydd, My daughter who lives in Minneapolis told us to go for the Walleye Pike as well. Z
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1