The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pork Tenderloins

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 30 of 39, messages 871 to 900 of 1147
mncorn

• Total Posts: 151
RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 10/18/08 2:43 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

31 pages of posts on the Indiana Pork Tenderloin Sandwich...Absolutely amazing

Amazing? Yes, but not as amazing as "New Jersey Hot Dogs" with 48 pages!

I agree. This is nuts....or pork.

jfitz

• Total Posts: 115
    RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 10/22/08 6:05 AM (permalink)
    Hey Davydd I found Augusta's Prize winning BPT to be over cooked; the edges of the Tloin to be heavy with Panko thus Panko flying all over when bitten. The bun small but delish,pickles great and the reg. fries notatable. I see the potential there and the panko a new twist for Iowa and I will try again. I noted the chef/owner was not in the kitchen but with a salesman at table. My best BPT is at Machine shed in Davenport. It's not breaded tho; but battered! For fast food Casey's is best frozen BPT. Enjoy your blogs. Passed blog onto friend that drives van like yours. Jfitz

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
      RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 10/22/08 1:29 PM (permalink)
      jfitz,

I would venture to guess the biggest variable in a pork tenderloin sandwich is the person manning the deep fryer. My sandwich at the time was right on. I didn't talk to the owners at the Augustana Restaurant.

The Machine Shed in Lake Elmo, MN served their tenderloin breaded. I didn't recall a choice. Battered is a popular way to serve them in Minneapolis along with toast instead of a bun. The Suzie-Q in Mason City also uses a batter.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
        RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 10/22/08 1:37 PM (permalink)
        I've never had a battered one, just grilled and breaded. Just like a basic beer batter? I could see that being good.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
          RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/18/08 2:32 PM (permalink)

The Kansas City Star talked about this place, I did a word search and haven't turned up anything on this site about it. Anyone eaten there?

Christy’s Tasty Queen

More tenderloin than bun

By 11 a.m. Victoria Fieber has already breaded 100 pork loins. Dips into a concoction of milk and water alternate with her fist-pounding the meat into three types of breading.

For 25 years, this has been the morning ritual at Christy’s Tasty Queen in Kansas City, Kan.

“We hand-bread them every single day,” says owner Marla Christy. “It’s quite a process, but that’s the reason they’re so good — we put a lot of TLC into them.”

Sure, the restaurant offers more than 70 other items, including chili dogs, fried cauliflower and blackberry shakes. But it’s the tenderloins, Christy says, that put her small business on the map.

Or, more accurately, all over the map.

“We ship them all over,” she says, citing Pennsylvania and Hawaii as examples. Then there’s the woman who sends a package to Texas for her son, his only request for birthdays and Christmas.

These regular customers — families, employees at nearby Turner Elementary School and industrial workers from the nearby Kansas 32 corridor — are what Christy says keep the eatery in business. Even when shops close or kids grow up, regulars make their way back, placing orders to eat in or take home.

Larry Fowler of Kansas City, Kan., is one such loyalist.

“I used to skip school to come here,” he recalls. “I’ve tried many a tenderloin in Kansas City and out of town.”

Christy’s, he says, are the best. And apparently the biggest.

“I have a picture at home in my garage of the biggest one I’ve had,” Fowler says.

Working the line, Marla Christy says she has looked to no avail for bigger buns. As it stands now, the tenderloins often overflow more than 3 inches — on either side of the bun.

The “secret” breading recipe came from a previous owner of the first restaurant Marla and her husband, Lowell, owned in their hometown, Windsor, Mo. For eight years while he worked full time and she part time in Kansas City, their parents ran that business, a drive-in. The Christys brought their three children down every weekend, both to relieve their folks and to serve the bustling lake traffic.

"Everyone kept asking me, ‘Why don’t you bring these to Kansas City?’#8194;” Marla remembers. So when a KCK neighbor put Carter’s Tasty Queen up for sale in 1983, the couple jumped at the chance to earn the money to put their kids through college.

Their children are long grown and have jobs of their own now — “I think we burned them out,” Marla jokes at the possibility one might take over — but the two still forfeit any vacation longer than a three-day weekend to keep the place running.

It’s a good thing, too, because by 11:30 a.m., a line stretches outside the entryway and onto the sidewalk, just under the “KC’s Best Tenderloin” sign.

If you go: Mondays, the special is a pork tenderloin sandwich and fries for $6.20.

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/18/08 3:22 PM (permalink)
            dd,

I received that article in e-mail along with this source and these pics.

http://www.kansascity.com/782/story/872739.html

The article was published November 8 after the Missouri Pork Association's 17 October announcement of their first best breaded pork tenderloin sandwich winner, the Udder End Cafe in Boonville, MO. Christy's nor any Kansas City restaurants were one of the four runner-ups. Interesting. Kansas City retaliation? I already had Christy's in my database. Missouri has good pork tenderloin sandwiches.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
              RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/18/08 7:15 PM (permalink)
              I must point out that since Kansas and Missouri are still fighting the civil war, it is fairly unlikely that the Missouri pork Association would award anything to a joint in Kansas, especially one in
              Turner, land of my toddler years. My cousins still live within a few blocks of Christy's.

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/18/08 8:13 PM (permalink)
                Is the Kansas City Star a Kansas newspaper?

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
                  RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/18/08 8:25 PM (permalink)
                  Kansas City Star serves the Greater Kansas City Area
                  Kansas City, Missouri and all the Suburbs, Missouri Side & Kansas Side

1bbqboy

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 11/18/08 8:40 PM (permalink)
                    21 pages-

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=14209.0
                    and:
                    http://www.theonion.com/content/news/30_years_of_mans_life_disappear_in
                    30 Years Of Man's Life Disappear In Mysterious 'Kansas Rectangle'

May 5, 2008 | Issue 44•19

CHICAGO—The so-called "Kansas rectangle," a desolate and featureless region covering 82,277 square miles in America's mysterious Great Plains, has been a source of speculation among paranormal investigators for decades. Though the questions surrounding its existence have never been answered, one thing is certain: The life of former Chicagoan Kevin Corcoran suddenly vanished into the eerie region 30 years ago this week, never to return.

According to his friends and family, Corcoran, a bright and energetic young man of 18, was last seen driving into the Rectangle in a Plymouth Duster on the afternoon of May 8, 1978. Surveillance footage shows him stopping at a gas station near the border to buy fuel and snacks at 4:15 p.m. Although his trip was only supposed to last the summer, he was never seen or heard from again.

The last known communication from Corcoran was sent from somewhere within the Rectangle, and made reference to plans to marry a large blond woman and enroll in a local technical college. Records indicate the message was received from 37 degrees 42 minutes north latitude and 97 degrees 20 minutes west longitude—but when searchers attempted to investigate that location, they found nothing but a tiny town with zero signs of life.

"Who knows if my son will ever return to civilization," said Corcoran's father, Dennis, now 76. "Some have reported seeing a pale and dead-eyed specter of him, trudging to and from a small office-supply firm every day, but they could just be legends. We don't know."

Acquaintances of Corcoran say they warned him that once he entered the Rectangle, he would never make it back out, but he did not listen, and was drawn there to investigate tales of cheap tuition. It wasn't until Corcoran failed to show up in the summer of 1978 for an annual camping trip, however, that the reality of his disappearance began to sink in.

"I knew then he wasn't coming back," friend Craig Wilkins said. "He got sucked into this alternative reality, and he can't get out. I'll never see my friend again."

The mysterious region has, according to some accounts, swallowed thousands of potentially interesting and active lives.

As haunting as his story may be, Kevin Corcoran is only one of hundreds of people who, for unknown reasons, have had years or even decades of their lives utterly fade away in the mystifying region. Still, most cases lack any hard evidence: The few known photos from inside the Rectangle show only a flat, blank emptiness, stretching unremarkably to the horizon.

What happens in the lives of those who venture within remains a mystery.

Matthew Hume, a researcher at the University of Chicago who studies the Rectangle, said the bizarre phenomena associated with the region might never be fully understood.

"As best we can tell, those who go beyond the area's borders for too long are knocked off course by the low external pressure to succeed," Hume said. "But after that, it's as if they fall off the face of the earth. There are cases of an entire Greyhound bus full of people entering the Rectangle and vanishing into obscurity."

Experts estimate that several million tons of consumer goods disappear into the region per year. Yet, almost nothing, save for the odd Sunday morning church broadcast, is ever detected coming back out.

Still, some travelers have returned to tell their tales. The most frequent occurrence reported by those who have survived the Kansas Rectangle is extreme disorientation and an unsettling perception of time distortion.

Boulder, CO resident Ned Frome entered the Rectangle in 2005 while en route to visiting family in St. Louis.

"I had been driving for hours, but it was as though I hadn't moved at all," Frome said. "I had no idea which direction I was going in. No matter where I looked, everything was exactly the same and before long, normal navigation was almost impossible."

"I'll never go in there again," Frome added with a shudder. "I felt like I was going insane."

Kyle Manheim, a photocopier salesman from Minneapolis who was once inside the Kansas Rectangle for two weeks on business, said he could not clearly remember any events from the time period.

"There isn't a single thing I can recall that would be worth mentioning," Manheim said. "I know I was there, but that's about it. It's like those 14 days never happened."

While many strongly believe in the eerie, soul-destroying powers of the Kansas Rectangle, the dearth of concrete evidence has drawn its share of skeptics.

"If you look at the statistics, there's nothing going on in that area that doesn't happen every day in the rest of the country," said Stephen Finney, a long-haul trucker who is familiar with the region. "What happened to Kevin Corcoran could have happened in Iowa, Indiana, or even Michigan.

"It's just a myth," Finney added. "This whole 'Kansas' place people talk about simply does not exist."

Eater E.

• Total Posts: 11
                      RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/19/08 12:46 AM (permalink)
                      This Kansan is glad to see the tender at Christy's getting some attention. It's my favorite KC tenderloin, bar none. Quite a bit better than the pretty-good one at Jerry's Woodsweather.

Order the Christy's tender about 11:30 a.m., before the tenders get put in the fridge.

Christy's has way-above-average burgers too.

I'd also encourage tenderloin lovers in the region to experience the ones at the Bottoms Up in St. Joseph, Mo.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                        RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/19/08 1:04 AM (permalink)
                        We take these fried pork cutlets, and turn them into Pork Parmesan...just add some garlic and parmison cheese to the breading. We've done that around here often as a substitute for far more expensive veal. Tastes about the same and a great inexpensive change of pace...I've got to admit it's a great sandwich too!!

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/19/08 9:55 AM (permalink)
                          I'm looking at that Kansas Rectangle and it is telling me Kansas City, Missouri is engulfed in that "desolate and featureless region" as well. If they are still fighting the Civil War calling a city Kansas City in the state of Missouri seems like an envious desire to disassociate from Missouri. If the Kansas City Star is a regional paper physically located in Missouri giving pub to a Kansas pork fryery at the same time of a Missouri pork promotion seems to be a tad bit of Missouri rebellion. I drove up the Santa Fe Trail last month and stopped overnight in Salina, survived it, got out the next day, drove through Missouri and beat it up to Iowa's 2008 best BPT in Oxford, IA the next day. I thought cattle not hogs passing through Kansas. Should not Kansas stick to beef? So what's going on?

trzhotel

• Total Posts: 136
                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 11/19/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
                            From J Wagner's recommendation, this tenderloin is from the Colony Inn in Ventura. Its just about 5 miles off the interstate by Clear Lake. Its at least 12 ounces, but doesn't keep its shape, when you lift it you will see it droop. Its over-tenderized. It is battered, but without the flavour in the batter like the Suzie-Q a few miles east. My sources tell me there are more tenderloins in the Mason City/Clear Lake area, so I will have to check them out.

I can't help but think its the right time for MO and KS smack talk right now. The Border War football game is coming up. The cross-border rivalry and hatred is about North versus South, Abolitionism, and other stuff over the last 150 years. But having two good football teams makes it serious.

I spent a couple early years living in rural MO, later in KC on both sides of the border. I've pretty much lost any attachement to either place.

St. Joseph in MO seems to have some good tenderloins as well:
                            quote:
                            Pop’s Place Sports Bar & Grill at 238 Illinois Ave. in St. Joseph placed second and will receive $300. Cook’s Corner Cafe in Dearborn finished third and will receive $200. The three honorable mentions also came from the area. Bob’s Fishing Lake in Savannah, Ed’s Eats in Savannah and Legend’s Sports Bar & Grill in St. Joseph all received a check for $100.
                            http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2008/oct/18/area-eateries-hog-honors-tenderloin-competition/?local
                            The whole idea of the contest is to gain interest in pork, so it must be doing its job. When is the Indiana PPA going to start its own contest?

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 11/20/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                              To my knowledge Indiana's Pork Producers Association http://www.indianapork.com/ has never had a BPT contest. The Indiana Foodways Alliance does publish a Culinary Trail guide. The BPT is one of many guides.

http://www.indianafoodways.com/culinarytrails/TenderloinTrail.php

A few years ago Indy Men's Magazine had a BPT tournament comprising of 64 restaurants. A team of experts and celebrities made rounds of all the restaurants and had a tournament taste down to one finalist. I believe that winner was the Nickel Plate in Fishers, IN.

dexmat

• Total Posts: 113
                                RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 11/29/08 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                Ms. Tenderloin a place called Little Bitty Burger Barn on Pinemont does a Pork Tenderloin. I haven't had it, just the burgers and sliders. If you try it let me know how it is in your expert opinion.

http://www.littlebittyburgerbarn.com/

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/30/08 1:42 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks for the info dexmat. I may get over to Houston next spring. It might be hard to find the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich on the internet in Texas because they insist on calling them something different than the rest of the country. Heights Camphouse BBQ called them "pork burgers" and Little Bitty Burger Barn is calling them "chicken fried pork".

1bbqboy

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sun, 11/30/08 1:56 PM (permalink)
                                    and how bout those jayhawks?!

dexmat

• Total Posts: 113
                                      RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 12/3/08 1:07 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Davydd

Thanks for the info dexmat. I may get over to Houston next spring. It might be hard to find the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich on the internet in Texas because they insist on calling them something different than the rest of the country. Heights Camphouse BBQ called them "pork burgers" and Little Bitty Burger Barn is calling them "chicken fried pork".

I have a copy of the menu and it's listed as Chicken Fried Pork Tenderloin. Maybe they just truncated it for the website to fit that list. They mostly seem concerned with promoting the Big _ss Burger.

Is there a difference between breaded and chicken fried? I think I've skimmed the whole thread over the past few days but may have missed it.

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 12/3/08 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                        Breaded and chicken fried are pretty much the same. It is a coating on meat and then fried. "Chicken fried" has been primarily used to describe beef not pork but the name derivative is a description of the techniques for fried chicken. I've seen pork tenderloins with coatings of all kinds from cracker crumbs to bread crumbs to corn meal to flour to even a batter mix. When I saw "pork burger" on the menu at Heights Camphouse BBQ my impression was it was a ground meat sandwich like hamburger. So I asked and they brought the cook out to explain it. He said, "It is like a chicken fried steak except it is not beef but pork without the gristle."

Jeep2000

• Total Posts: 59
                                          RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 12/3/08 3:03 PM (permalink)
                                          WOW! My eyes are burning after looking at page after pages of these.
                                          But after 27 pages, I figured I might as well look at them all!

We recently discovered a new great tenderloin in the central Illinois area. The restaurant is Missy's Corner Cafe in Pekin. We heard they were known for their tenderloin. The sandwich was huge and tasty. By far my favorite.
                                          My husband snapped a photo of his:

Personally, the only other place I find it worthwhile to eat a tenderloin in this area is at Schooner's in Peoria. That one is done in more of a tempura style batter, but it's great.

DSMHorse

• Total Posts: 5
                                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                            I just posted this on an older discussion. I think B&B Grocery in Des Moines have great breaded pork tenderloins. You have to give them a shot if you're ever in des moines, Iowa. www.killerdeli.com

I go there frequently. Eat their breaded bpt sandwiches all the time. They also make a great reuben.

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                              B&B Grocery & Deli looks like a winner. That Quadzilla hamburger is a killer.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                                                RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                                I'll be in Des Moines in April and will definitely try to work in a visit to B&B. Looks like a good place to pick up some meat for the grill, too.

Brad

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
                                                  RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                                  The Chatt Bar and restaurant in tiny Chattanooga Ohio (pop 70) has real good big handmade Tenderloins - even the folks in Chicago recommend it. They're deep fried pizza is real good too.

http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/food/tag/Chatt%20Bar/

DSMHorse

• Total Posts: 5
                                                    RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                                    There's no way I could eat the Quadzilla, but it looks tempting. I have to say the guys at B&B are really fun. The place has been around forever and does show it's age. They have sports stuff all over the place.

Here's a link to an article from the IOWAN that talks about the breaded pork tenderloin. They quote one of the butchers at B&B.

http://www.iowan.com/tenderloin.cfm

I don't know if you noticed, there's a review from roadfood they posted on their review page.

gregsgoatfarm

• Total Posts: 52
                                                      • Location: Scenic SouthCentral Indiana
                                                      RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                                      Just a note to Davydd and any others who wanted to try the BPT at the fabled Speedway Motel/Brickyard Crossing. No more.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18288542/detail.html?rss=ind&psp=news

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                        RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 12/16/08 8:23 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by gregsgoatfarm

Just a note to Davydd and any others who wanted to try the BPT at the fabled Speedway Motel/Brickyard Crossing. No more.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18288542/detail.html?rss=ind&psp=news

Only the 96 room motel building is being torn down. The Brickyard Crossing restaurant and pub including the Flag Room will remain and serve tenderloins.

When I graduated from high school I interned the summer before I went away to college with Daggett Naegele and Daggett Architects in Indianapolis. The very first project in my long architectural career that I put pencil to paper to was that Speedway Motel. 45 years later I stayed a night there because with had our high school reunion in their banquet room and I wanted to out of nostalgia as well. I knew then it was slated for the wrecking ball. Otherwise, I would have avoided the place. I officially received my Medicare card this month so that is an indication for all to figure out how old and outdated it was. It is ready to come down. I hope I last longer.

The motel was used extensively in the movie, Winning staring Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward and Robert Wagoner. They had one scene were Newman found his wife cheating on him with Wagoner in one of the motel rooms.

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                          RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 12/17/08 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                                          I traveled downtown today to have holiday lunch with some of my former workmates at Target HQ. We met at our old standby, Lyon's Pub on Sixth Street. This was my first stop at Lyon's since last year at Christmas. So I had their breaded pork tenderloin sandwich naturally since I was one of the instigators to get them to put it permanently on the menu a couple of years ago. Steve, the bartender, put the order in to the kitchen as "Dave's back". The tenderloin came out fried to perfection and the meat was way above average and tender. Lyon's serves the tenderloin slathered with BBQ sauce. When I was a regular I used to ask for it on the side and dipped my fries in it. This time I let them put it on the sandwich. I sampled a few drafts in little sampling glasses and settled for a draft of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and ate my tenderloin.

Lyon's is mostly bar food fare and pretty good at that. It is friendly and not a high powered sports bar. If you are in town and just want a comfortable bar in the Cheers tradition and quaff a brew, Lyon's is the place.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                                            • Location: brick, NJ
                                                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 12/17/08 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                                            How about a pork tenderloin Parm. I've made that a few times....great!!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 30 of 39, messages 871 to 900 of 1147

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com