Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..36373839 > Showing page 38 of 39
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6379
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/01 13:07:11 (permalink)
lleechef

Where are you going to eat in Columbus??

I believe it's Columbus, Indiana not Columbus, Ohio.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4629
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/01 13:56:32 (permalink)
If you've seen one Columbus, you've seen em all?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5099
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/01 13:58:04 (permalink)
Would the plural be Columbi?
The only time I drove by Gnaw Bone was before it reopened and I'd been hoping for a chance to stop in, but my predilection for finding new routes to the same place has kept me from traveling that stretch of 46 again.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/08/01 14:01:07
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/14 14:33:56 (permalink)
We went to Washington DC and Gettysburg a few weeks ago and blew through Indiana without stopping for a tenderloin. I made up for it in Hagerstown, Maryland at the Broad Axe Restaurant and Bar for this true presentation of a Midwest tenderloin in the East.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/15 19:32:11 (permalink)
HOLY SMOKES - Now i am drooling!!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/24 14:21:14 (permalink)
It is hard finding pork tenderloin sandwiches in Minnesota compared to Iowa just to the south but I am up to my 40th find. The problem is they don't always call them breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches on the menu which is the accepted term in Iowa though they are pork loins. In this case it was called a Center Cut Pork Cutlet Breaded Between the Buns. Find that in an Internet search along with an unsearchable JPEG reprint of the menu. The clue came when someone mentioned Jaeger Schnitzel in a message as a dinner entree for the restaurant. I figured they must have had a sandwich equivalent and they did. The place is just a short 20 miles west of where I live in the Minnesota farm countryside just outside a small town called New Germany. Fitting. The name was not as fitting. It was called the Hollywood Roadhouse. Apparently the intersection of State Highway 7 and County Highway 33 was once called Hollywood. The loin was hand pounded. I confirmed that on site. It was the same as their Jaeger Schnitzel only on a bun without the gravy and mashed potatoes. The breading was well seasoned and the meat was top quality.

http://www.hollywoodroadhouse.com/

CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/24 15:37:45 (permalink)
WOW - Thank is one mighty fine piece of oinker!
Nice find Davydd
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13510
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/24 16:18:42 (permalink)
Davydd always finds some mighty fine pork tenderloins.  I'll bet he cannot count how many stops he has made a different places???  Just kidding and keeping tabs on this fine man, I would now bet he has kept tabs and a log of each, pics and his opinion of the sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/24 17:21:30 (permalink)
Actually, I have managed to keep a list and I think I have most of them. They are right here in a Facebook File: http://www.facebook.com/g...doc/10151542494168463/
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/24 17:30:35 (permalink)
I knew it.    Architects are very very organized.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/08/24 18:12:28 (permalink)
Now, to find one in Delaware....
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/09/01 08:39:35 (permalink)
Ate at the Overlook Restaurant in Leavenworth, IN, yesterday. Spectacular view of the Ohio River, Kentucky, and more Indiana. The special was BPT. Very, very good rendition - meaty with a tasty breading. Onion rings were overdone and just so so. Furthest south I've been for this sandwich.

CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/09/01 17:58:02 (permalink)
Greg - Good lookin BPT and O Rings

The overlook is a wonderful place to have a meal
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/09/01 22:46:22 (permalink)
Many years ago I stopped at the Overlook.  I enjoyed the view, a cocktail and some of their bread.  I wish I had ate there.  Super setting.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/09/02 14:10:53 (permalink)
Over the weekend I headed up to Minnesota's northwoods, Grand Marais and the Gunflint Trail. Midway up the Gunflint Trail is the Trail Center Restaurant, one of my favorite places. They serve a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich they call the Smitty's on the menu. A few years ago I asked and they said it was named after Smitty's in Des Moines, Iowa. Having been to Smitty's in Des Moines I can tell you it is not the same. It is a better tenderloin in meat, breading and flavoring in my opinion.

gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/09/29 08:38:35 (permalink)
Celebrated No. 65 last Wednesday at Black Swan Brew Pub
http://blackswanbrewpub.com/ in Plainfield, IN. Their menu has never been typical pub grub, and their take on the BPT is no different. Called "The Stack" it's two nicely sized breaded tenderloins, tomato, lettuce, and mustard relish on a pretzel bun. I got the impression that substitutions are not especially welcome here due to the difficulty I had just trying to get a simple side of cole slaw.  The sandwich was very substantial and quite good considering that no pickles, onions, or mayonnaise were included. Just less than half of it made a fine breakfast the next day. The fries were only superb. One chooses from 4 different seasonings and then selects one of 4 dipping sauces. The bacon aioli worked for me. The aforementioned slaw was the only disappointment, lacking any sort of flavorful dressing. The entire menu is quite adventurous. I can recommend this place. And the Cream Stout...yum.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/09/29 19:39:36 (permalink)
In my opinion,  Ask Davydd.  on this forum his is by far this best expert on this sandwich.  He has experienced by far more than anyone else of the site.  His experience is double outstanding.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/04 22:48:42 (permalink)
On our recently completed RV trip that took us southwest down to Colorado and Utah and back I found four more breaded pork tenderloins.

The first was in Niobrara, Nebraska at the Two Rivers Saloon. It was an OK sandwich with no pretense to try to be a huge hangover the bun Midwest variety. Actually, since their dinner menu featured a pork tenderloin entree this sandwich could well have been a true pork tenderloin and not a pork loin cut. Also, I am pretty sure it was pan fried and not deep fried.

I was hoping to check out if the Flyway Cafe adopted a pork tenderloin sandwich after I convinced them to make them special for our RV group way back in 2008. As it turned out they are no longer in existence. So, my stop in Niobrara did not go in vain with the Two Rivers Saloon.

My next stop was in Council Grove, Kansas a straight shot south through the Flint Hills and the meeting place for communications on the Sante Fe Trail. I found a little cafe right on the old trail route called the Saddlerock Cafe. I picked the spot not for the tenderloin but because it was local and right on the trail. They featured a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich but it was really more a fritter commodity. Hey, but here is the theme. It still counts.

Continuing west we stopped to camp right in the little town of Ouray, Colorado. Ouray had a couple of brewpubs of which I spent some time. It was a complete accident that I walked by the Western Hotel's Saloon and saw the menu posted in the window mentioning a pork tenderloin sandwich. I was skeptical. In fact I challenged the waitress and she explained the owner was from Iowa. I said no more was needed to be said and I ordered it. It was actually very good and a pleasant surprise in a very cool little town.

My last stop was in Rapid City, South Dakota and totally unplanned. With the government shutdown we were driven out of the Blackhills as nothing was open any longer for camping so we defaulted to a KOA Kampground in the city and decided to try their downtown brewpub, the Firehouse Brewing Co. They had a dinner entree called a Pork Schnitzel with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. The pork schnitzel turned out to be a very good breaded pork tenderloin representation. The only thing missing was a bun. Put a bun to it and it would have been a topnotch sandwich. So, it counts too, IMO.

For a four week trip outside the Midwest I was satisfied in my tenderloin pursuits. It was somewhat luck and persistence. None were pre-planned.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/04 22:58:03 (permalink)
Phildelmar

Now, to find one in Delaware....

C'mon man, the Broad Axe in Hagerstown, Maryland is not that far away.
photog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/05 00:19:52 (permalink)
kland01s

I have had tenderloins like that in Peoria, one place is called the Tenderloin Shack and I can't think of the name of the other one but it is in the downtown area near the Civic Center complex. The Culvers chain has a decent tenderloin. They are a small regional chain from Wisconsin that is now in the far west 'burbs of Chicago. You can also get great fried chees curds there!

Please, this is a "foodies" site. Don't recommend Culver's! Their pork tenderloins are a mere shadow of the ones available in Iowa!
There are some places in northern Indiana that you could try if that's closer.

gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/05 07:19:55 (permalink)

Wheatley's in Wanamaker, IN, serves fried fish on Fridays. That and breaded pork tenderloins. Thinner than I prefer it was still moist and flavorful. All orders are served carry out style. The pies and cakes are outstanding. Their BPT is also available on "Fried Chicken Sunday".
post edited by gregsgoatfarm - 2013/10/05 07:21:59
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/05 08:41:18 (permalink)
photog

kland01s

I have had tenderloins like that in Peoria, one place is called the Tenderloin Shack and I can't think of the name of the other one but it is in the downtown area near the Civic Center complex. The Culvers chain has a decent tenderloin. They are a small regional chain from Wisconsin that is now in the far west 'burbs of Chicago. You can also get great fried chees curds there!

Please, this is a "foodies" site. Don't recommend Culver's! Their pork tenderloins are a mere shadow of the ones available in Iowa!

The Culver's tenderloin is a true cut of pork meat and is a lot better than many of the processed pork fritters that can be found in many Iowa, Indiana and Illinois independent but cheap restaurants. Granted, Culver's is a chain and doesn't fit the definition of roadfood, but I see no need to deride them. If one thing, Culver's has become the ambassador spreading the idea of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich beyond the Midwest borders and they have pretty much done it right.
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/05 10:14:35 (permalink)
Davydd

photog

kland01s

The Culver's tenderloin is a true cut of pork meat and is a lot better than many of the processed pork fritters that can be found in many Iowa, Indiana and Illinois independent but cheap restaurants. Granted, Culver's is a chain and doesn't fit the definition of roadfood, but I see no need to deride them. If one thing, Culver's has become the ambassador spreading the idea of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich beyond the Midwest borders and they have pretty much done it right.
Right on, and I just had one the other day. It was great. Also, Culver's is anything BUT "a small regional" chain. They have over 475 locations in 19 states.

amandabanana
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/12 21:30:27 (permalink)
I haven't tried the tenderloin at Culver's yet but there's a restaurant in Carroll, IA called Charlie's and they have an amazing pork tenderloin sandwich! The next time I eat there I'll get a pic of it, but it's so good and very big! The tenderloin is twice the size of the bun and I usually cut the part that's hanging off for my husband to eat because it's too much for me to eat.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/12 22:09:54 (permalink)

Davydd - Just place those taters on the top and forget the bun.  WOW that looks yummy.  I was in Nick's Wednesday, JAB said to say 'Hi".
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/25 21:36:56 (permalink)
Finally, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich gets some positive notice outside the Midwest. Check out what leads off this video.

Best Sandwiches in America
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1628
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/26 07:24:09 (permalink)
Davydd

Finally, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich gets some positive notice outside the Midwest. Check out what leads off this video.

The woman is a so-called sandwich expert, but admits she just learned about the pork tenderloin. Someone needs to check her credentials.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/26 08:07:00 (permalink)
Davydd

photog

kland01s

I agree with DavyDD:  Culvers has stepped out of the traditional chain and has created burgers, fish and BPT beyound expectations.  That chain is the best of chains and I have never had a bad experience upon my visits with them.  I wish we had them in Tennessee.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8389
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/26 08:53:27 (permalink)
Paul, you will simply have to come to Wisconsin and visit!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/26 10:42:21 (permalink)
cavandre

Davydd

The woman is a so-called sandwich expert, but admits she just learned about the pork tenderloin. Someone needs to check her credentials.

That's because she is a cooking light expert who just recently come over to the dark side of deep-fried cooking.

However, the point is very few people outside the Midwest have any knowledge of the Midwest breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. I travel enough to know that.
Page: << < ..36373839 > Showing page 38 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1