Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 39 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/10/13 21:13:47 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse,

I get down to Chicago a lot and the article gave me some good leads. I had the pork tenderloin at Petros on LaSalle. It was actually two big pieces, not too bad, but open faced on white bread and slavered in gravy with mash potatoes. It was not the classic the authors were pining for. Greater Chicago is influenced by ethnic Bohemian varieties that might be served with toast, mashed potatoes and gravy.

The short PBS movie was Jensen Rufe's 15 minute documentary, "In Search of the Famous Hoosier Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich". I understand it featured the Mug'n'Bun drive in in Speedway, IN (my old stomping grounds) and Mr. Dave's in North Manchester, IN. Both of these places can be checked out in the Restaurants section of RoadFoods.com here.

BTW, Speedway, IN, a town of 12,000 people features six restaurants serving pork tenderloin sandwiches in Brickyard Crossing, Grindstone Charleys, Union Jack, Mug'n'Bun, McGilvery's and Charlie Brown's. That's a lot. Plus the Indy 500 concession stands serve them. That probably is the densest concentration in America for tenderloin sandwiches.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/10/13 22:35:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

There is a major article in today's Chicago Tribune "At Play" section about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches and the Iowa transplants who love them. They mention several places here in the Chicago metro area that serve a serviceable pork tenderloin sandwich, including, The Silo in Lake Bluff, The Igloo in Peru, Kelley's in Harvard, The Blackberry Inn in Elburn and Petros on LaSalle Street here in Chicago. They also listed The Machine Shed in Rockford. Oddly enough, this Iowa based chain got only a mediocre rating on their tenderloins, the same rating given to Culver's tenderloin.

As a side note, I have seen a short subject documentary, shown here in Chicago on our local PBS station, on the wonder and glory of the Indiana pork tenderloin sandwich. Any of you Iowans care to comment?

I seen the PBS "The Hot Dog", "The Hamburger" and "The Ice Cream" docummentaries, but never "The Tenderloin", I'll have to keep eye out for this one!!!

Thanks
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/10/13 23:20:20 (permalink)
garryd451:refer to Davydd's post above yours; it gives more details than I remembered. If I'm not mistaken, the piece ran in conjunction with a short film on Chicago Hot Dogs (not the "Hot Dog Show" we are all familiar with) as part of a larger package called "Image Union"; a program that originates with the Chicago PBS affiliate, and might not run in your area.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/10/20 22:51:50 (permalink)
Indiana Butt Cookin'

Here is a site that has an excerpt of the documentary, "In Search of the Famous Hoosier Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich".

http://jensenrufe.com/documentaries/

It is a short 2 minute Quicktime movie from a 16 minute documentary. Just click on the picture that shows a guy eating a pork tenderloin sandwich.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/10/21 08:52:11 (permalink)
I miss the pics
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/10/23 15:16:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I miss the pics

TJ, You are right! A whole page with no pics so far. How about this one.

It is a pork tenderloin sandwich from the Union Jack Pub on Crawfordsville Rd in Speedway, IN. The ale, BTW, is a Boddington's Pub Ale on tap. I was very pleased with both. The only debit was I had this one a day after I had the one at Billy O'Neal's and nothing measures up to O'Neal's in my tenderloin pursuits so far.

The Union Jack has som of the look of a British Pub mixed with a LOT of Indy 500 Race memorabilia including a race car. I highly recommend the place.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/05 11:23:25 (permalink)
I heard about the Buffalo Tap Pub in Savage, MN on Highway 13 so made a journey down there to sample their deep fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It was served the traditional way and was not bad. The Buffalo Tap's decor is in the north woods manor with lots of exposed wood and pine boarding. The place seemed friendly and neighborly and there were lots of families with kids in the place so it probably could be considered more a restaurant than an adult pub. Here is their tenderloin. Enjoy.

AllenBukoff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/05 23:50:03 (permalink)
Dear Breaded Pork Tenderloin Fans,

I am a big breaded pork tenderloin fan who grew up in a small town in Iowa thinking that hamburgers, hot dogs, and breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches were standard American food fare. Then I moved to northeast Ohio and discovered that the breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches were not on the menu of any restaurant and the locals had never heard of such a thing. I now live in Michigan in a suburb north of Detroit. No pork tenderloins around here either.

Several years ago, on visits back to Iowa, my wife and I began seeking out breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches and photographing them. My humble little website -- http://www.allenbukoff.com/wildBPTiowa03/ -- has been cited in the thread of this forum previously. I am happy to find and join the discussion here. I am also hoping I can get Roadfood forum participants and visitors to send me digital pictures of breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches (and documentary information - who/what/when/where) that I can post on my website. I would like to expand my tenderloin documentation and information to more than just Iowa. I am hoping, for example, to have some pictures of breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches from northern Indiana up on my website soon.

Sincerely,
Allen Bukoff, PhD
allen@allenbukoff.com
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/06 08:56:18 (permalink)
Thanks Allen, great photos! I went to a small college in NE Iowa where we had a lot of pork in our cafeteria dining selections. I became a huge fan of BPT though I don't get it very often in the far flung western Chicago suburbs. I still like mine with yellow mustard and a touch of mayo when I find them!
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/06 14:42:28 (permalink)
The following link tells alot about Indiana's "Pork tenderloins" and also Indiana Cursine!

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423

Also has anyone tried the pork tenderloin at this restaurant in Allegan, michigan?

http://www.grillhouse.net/rockbottommenu.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/06 15:49:31 (permalink)
Allen,

At last count I believe I may have posted at least a dozen different pork tenderloin sandwiches in this forum from both Minnesota and Indiana. On another forum I posted two separate tutorials on making home made pork tenderloin sandwiches and another person did the same with more professional experience than I. I too thought pork tenderloins were normal and for many years in Minnesota seldom frequented a place with them and lost touch. Since reviving my appetite for them I have found several places. It helps being able to go into small pubs now that Hennepin County, MN has a smoking ban. Before that I stuck to mainstream restaurants and few had them.

I frequent Indiana for the Indy 500 every year and on business a few times. I have been able to select the best in that state to sample. I'm an ex-Hoosier from Speedway, IN. That small town of 12,000 has 6 places that serve them. They're that pervasive in Indiana.

If you live in the Detroit area you are but a day trip away from Jean Ann's Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, IN to try one from the reputed original restaurant or Mr. Dave's in North Manchester, IN Jensen Rufe featured in his documentary. I'm planning a road trip to hit them with my Indy 500 pilgrimage and also Joensy's in Iowa.

Isn't it great to have a wife that supports you in this pursuit? I was worried I would wear my wife out in this but she has been a trooper ordering one right along with me everytime except when we go to Culvers. She got mad when she found out I stopped at Sully's in Nordeast Minneapolis without her Friday for lunch.
janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/06 17:29:05 (permalink)
yes it makes me hungry too and I cook them everyday. I just want to thank Davydd for referring to my place as Jean Anne's Nick's Kitchen. It is funny to me being from a small town when customers say meet me at Jean Anne's., when it been Nick's Kitchen since 1908...It happens all the time... Have a good day.. Jean Anne
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/17 15:45:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

There is a major article in today's Chicago Tribune "At Play" section about Iowa pork tenderloin sandwiches and the Iowa transplants who love them. They mention several places here in the Chicago metro area that serve a serviceable pork tenderloin sandwich, including, The Silo in Lake Bluff, ...

I just got back from the Silo and had the pork tenderloin sandwich. The menu points out that is imported from Ottawa, Illinois. It was pounded flat to around 8 inches by 6 inches. Breaded. Served on a grilled bun with raw onion and pickles.

Verdict: pretty good. (Note: I am not a pork tenderloin afficianado.) It was not dry, not greasy, not too much breading although more than I care to consume in one sitting. I ditched the top of the bun, folded the meat in half and added a little mustard. Overall, the sandwich was tasty. Would I order it again? It is in the running.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/17 17:17:34 (permalink)
I've recently begun to see "grilled pork tenderloin" sandwiches as an alternative to the breaded and deep fried. The first place I ever saw it was in Culver's. I just had a good one for lunch today at the Midtown Family Restaurant in Iowa City. It was the same meat, tenderized and flattened so it overhung the grill toasted bun. It was excellent with mustard, onions and dill pickles. I love the original, but I think I like the grilled version just as well.
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/18 15:53:36 (permalink)
Around central Indiana most mom and pop restaurants will have a breaded tenderloin on the menu. A few years ago most of them were as big as a dinner plate and most were very good. It is hit and miss now days, sometime you get a good one but a lot of the time it is a oval or round fritter. I had no idea untill reading here that it was not something that you could get all across the country!

The first great breaded tenderloin sandwich that I ever got was while staying a year with my grandmother. She was living near Brookville Indiana and for a while we would go to town every Saturday. We would stop at a drive-in to eat and there is where I discovered this bit of heaven! I cannot remember the name of the drive-in as I was in the 5th grade then and it's been a while ago.....

Later the little town of Pendleton had a small restaurant out on the highway called the Irish Point. They had platter sized breaded tenderloins and we would get them once in a while. The Irish Point has been gone for I would guess 25 years.

Now days if I want a good breaded tenderloin I make it myself. Like others have said, butterfly a piece of pork tenderloin and pound it out till it is as large as a paper plate. Cut it thick enough that it still has some thickness to it after pounding. What I use is a egg and milk wash followed by the breading..........bread crumbs with seasoned salt and onion salt. I do not measure but put enough bread crumbs to mound up on a plate adn add about a teaspoon of seasoned salt and about 2 teaspoons of onion salt. Mix it around with a fork then use that fork to "press the tenderloin into the breading mixture. Turn a couple of times making sure to coat and press well.

I then fry them one at a time in a large cast iron skillet with hot oil and ENJOY!

Butch
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/18 16:32:59 (permalink)
I still like my grilled one best that I got at the Davenport Mississippi Valley Blues Festival over the 4th of July weekend.
It was the juciest tenderloin I'd ever tasted. I only wish I'd gotten where they were based at.
MsCuisine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/18 18:04:52 (permalink)
Theres a little place here in The Plains Ohio by the name of The Sundae Shoppe. They sell a pork tenderloin sandwich that consists of a flat paperplate sized piece of breaded and deep fat fried pork served on a 4 inch bun. Comes with lettuce and mayo, but only on the bun part.They are very popular in this part of Ohio and can be found at many restaurants, as well as localfairs and events.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/18 20:43:57 (permalink)
Here in Minnesota I encounter many people that have never tried a pork tenderloin sandwich. Well, the other day I was out with two of my co-workers on a construction site inspection and "just happened" to come upon Sully's Pub in Northeast Minneapolis right about at lunchtime. I convinced them we ought to stop. Sully's is a neighborhood pub that caters mostly to locals. Being dressed in office work clothes we got the once over by the mainly jeans and flannel labor pool. Northeast (or Nordeast) is very ethnic Eastern European but changing. We witnessed one black man came in and decided to use the restroom first and the tiny blonde waitress chided and yelled at him that only paying customers could use the restrooms. He yelled back he had to wash his hands first. Upon coming out she picked up again and he in turn yelled and said he changed his mind and left. Well, it was that kind of place.

My co-workers had never had pork tenderloin sandwiches. Even so, they decided to follow my lead and we all ordered one. Sully's was different. They were deep fried battered (not breaded) pork tenderloin sandwiches. That was a first for me. But oh man oh man they were huge, thick, tender and juicy. They were appetite killers for the rest of the day. I skipped supper. One co-worker now can't stop thinking about it and wants to go back. Here is that sandwich.

eFindall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/21 07:54:00 (permalink)
Janicks
Back in the fifties, my grandfather, Martin Hochstetler, uncles, cousins, my father, Nevin Hochstetler and I would go to Nick's Kitchen for one of your Tenderloin Sandwiches, known at that time as a Veal Sandwich. The last time I was in Hunington in 1982 I made a visit to Nick's Kitchen for a "Veal Sandwich" and enjoyed both of them.

I have lived in Ft Lauderdale since 1957 and I miss those sandwiches--nothing like that here in Ft Lauderdale. I have made my own version at home but not the same.

Anyway, glad to learn that Nick's Kitchen is alive and well.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/21 08:30:16 (permalink)
I went to college in NE Iowa and our cafeteria would serve up some pretty tough BPT, so tough you could barely cut it with a knife. Happily, it did not ruin my love for them, just don't get the opportunity to have them very often in my neck of the woods.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/23 18:14:58 (permalink)
If it is a true pork _tender_loin and prepared correctly they are not going to be tough. It should be the tenderist part of the pig.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/24 09:00:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

If it is a true pork _tender_loin and prepared correctly they are not going to be tough. It should be the tenderist part of the pig.

Remember, this was a college cafeteria, everything was tough as nails! Didn't ruin my love for BPT tough, I had plenty of them on the "outside" in NE Iowa.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/26 14:01:06 (permalink)
They probably took a 'pork steak' deboned it and pounded it out... Far cheaper then a pork tenderloin, yet nowhere near as tender..
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/26 15:21:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

They probably took a 'pork steak' deboned it and pounded it out... Far cheaper then a pork tenderloin, yet nowhere near as tender..

I never thought of that, You're right, pork steak is a poor quality of pork, compared to pork tenderloin!!!
CharlieS
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/11/30 18:51:31 (permalink)
I moved to California, and have to make my own tenderloin sandwiches. Not too hard.

Get some boneless tenderloin chops, about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick. Pound out to about 3/16 inch thick.

Moisten the chop with water, salt & pepper it, and dredge it in cracker crumbs. (You can buy Nabisco soda cracker crumbs, or cracker meal, or grind some up in your food processor or blender.)

Fry in a pan with about 1/4 inch of heated oil.

Put on a bun and top with your favorite toppings.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Charlie
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/02 22:30:27 (permalink)
That things looks like a healthy dose of cholesterol... that sammich is huge.. wow. what a picture....Looks almost like tempura batter in the photo...
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/02 23:17:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

That things looks like a healthy dose of cholesterol... that sammich is huge.. wow. what a picture....Looks almost like tempura batter in the photo...

I never seen a Pork Tenderloins that I wouldn't eat, I never seen a Pork Tenderloin that wasn't loaded with cholesterol! Ha Ha

Then again I can say the same for Corn Dogs, Elephant Ears, and bratwursst.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/03 20:33:42 (permalink)
Had a really great breaded tenderloin plate for dinner last night. Not a sandwich, but a large breaded tenderloin with mashed potatoes and gravy. The Jubilee Cafe, exit 82 from I-74 just west of Peoria. Very good home made coconut creame pie too.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/04 20:12:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ross

Had a really great breaded tenderloin plate for dinner last night. Not a sandwich, but a large breaded tenderloin with mashed potatoes and gravy. The Jubilee Cafe, exit 82 from I-74 just west of Peoria. Very good home made coconut creame pie too.

I had similar in the Chicago downtown Loop at Petros. It was billed as a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich and it came with gravy and mashed potatoes. It was two huge breaded pieces. It was a sandwich I guess because underneath the tenderloins mushed and soaked in gravy were two pieces of white bread.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/05 09:43:44 (permalink)
Met friends for lunch on Saturday at the Millrose in Barrington, Illinois. The Rose family has been in the meat packing business for several generations and the restaurant has grown in to a sizeable operation of it's own. They have a store where you can buy all of their meats as well as cheeses and country gew gaws. For lunch I had potato encrusted pork medalions which when it came out,it was a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich! The potato coating had some spices and the pork was tender, served on a bun with a garlic mayo, a really tasty sandwich. It does not appear on the menu linked below and all the prices seem to be about $1.50-2.oo more than shown on the web menu. All in all good and enjoyed samples of the 5 kinds of hams they make.

http://www.millroserestaurant.com/index.html
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 39 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1