Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 39
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6399
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/26 18:08:36 (permalink)
Is the pork tenderloin sandwich a summertime treat? I know they are traditional with drive-in restaurants that typically close over the winter (well, in Minnesota they do) so opportunities get reduced. I had to result to a Culver's tenderloin last week just to keep up the taste buds. This week I am taking four days off work to get 10 straight. I may just make my own homemade tenderloin sandwich to fill the time. If I do, I will keep you posted.

My big venture will come this May when I will sample the best in Iowa and Indiana. Can't wait.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/27 14:29:25 (permalink)
Friday, January 13 at 9:30 AM the Food Network Food Finds show is going to repeat the episode that featured the chef at the Brickyard Crossing restaurant at the Indianapolis 500 race track demonstrating how to make a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich.

It will be toward the end of the 1/2 hour show that shows other Hoosier fare around the state.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7921
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/27 19:39:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Is the pork tenderloin sandwich a summertime treat? I know they are traditional with drive-in restaurants that typically close over the winter (well, in Minnesota they do) so opportunities get reduced. I had to result to a Culver's tenderloin last week just to keep up the taste buds. This week I am taking four days off work to get 10 straight. I may just make my own homemade tenderloin sandwich to fill the time. If I do, I will keep you posted.

My big venture will come this May when I will sample the best in Iowa and Indiana. Can't wait.

I hope that we will get a full report on your tenderloin trip to Iowa and Indiana. I hope to eventually return to these two states to try a couple. Personally I'll leave Minnesota for the Great Walleye Sandwiches, Wild Rice Soup, Sour Cream Raisn Pie and whatever few Scandinavian Specialties I can scrounge up
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/28 10:26:36 (permalink)
OK, back on topic. :)

Found this from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. "Love me Tenderloin" is a news piece that features Mr. Dave, Jensen Rufe, and participant here, Jean Anne Bailey of Nick's Kitchen in Huntington, Indiana. It's a bit of history about the pork tenderloin sandwich and worth the read.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/living/13383198.htm
Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/28 19:15:57 (permalink)
Davydd, that a very good article, lots of little "tenderloin gems," and those kernels of truth where a BPT fan just nods "uh huh!"

"In Indiana, people...don’t take it for granted that a good tenderloin is available. They know how rare they are."

Mr. Dave's Restaurant: “He makes a conscious effort to avoid making them really big and just offers you a thick, juicy, pork chop-sized sandwich. It’s the best one I’ve ever eaten.”...

Nick's Kitchen: "The pork... is marinated in buttermilk, eggs and flour for at least 24 hours. After a vigorous saltine cracker wash, each tenderloin is plopped into the deep fryer. The finished product overlaps its 5-inch bun by just an inch."

Two outstanding restaurants, and both make a thicker, smaller BPT! They don't do what so many do- pound it as thin and large in diameter as possible as a selling point (not that there's anything wrong with that!) We do realize as the article says, how rare a good tenderloin can be.

Zig
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 12:34:50 (permalink)
I went to Nicks Kitchen today, Yum.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 16:45:02 (permalink)
Nice picture Zig.

I am in the process of making pork tenderloin sandwiches today for dinner on my birthday of all days. So far I have pounded them and marinated them. I am trying both pork tenderloin and pork loin to see if I can discern a difference. Being the Holidays I am trying something different. Instead of buttermilk or milk I am trying eggnog. :)

Yes, and not to disappoint TJ and others, I am documenting the process with pictures.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 17:29:39 (permalink)
I mean no insult here, but - the Nick's sandwich looks pretty small and sorta unnaturally shaped?

Like it's a fritter rather than a real tenderloin?

Based on your comments, I assume it isn't, just saying it LOOKS that way. Keep in mind, I am a tenderloin, uh, tenderfoot.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 17:51:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

I mean no insult here, but - the Nick's sandwich looks pretty small and sorta unnaturally shaped?

Like it's a fritter rather than a real tenderloin?

Based on your comments, I assume it isn't, just saying it LOOKS that way. Keep in mind, I am a tenderloin, uh, tenderfoot.

Almost looks square... Like something you'd find at Wendys...
Zig
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 18:38:52 (permalink)
To there defense, they had no idea that I was going to take it's picture, and there was actually a second small piece hanging off the other side.
janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 20:42:41 (permalink)
Thanks Zig, I remember you being at Nick's Kitchen today. You sat at the very front booth. Thanks for coming to my defense... No fritter here each and every BPT made with care by me... Each one is shaped a little different depending on how I press them in the cracker crumbs... Since the article in the Ft.Wayne paper a couple weeks ago BPT sales have increased. We have started to plan the 100 year birthaday of the BPT in 2008. Looking for imput any ideas out there?
Zig
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/30 21:19:38 (permalink)
janicks,
I think you should play-up that Nick's is the birthplace of the tenderloin! I didn't see anything about that inside of restaurant. Make a banner, or have the front window painted. Tabvertise!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/31 09:20:50 (permalink)
Jean Anne, Please let us know when and how you are going to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of the pork tenderloin sandwich. By then, hopefully, I should be free to be there no matter what the date.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/31 09:23:06 (permalink)
Now for my contribution to close out the new year I offer up my Holiday Tenderloin. I made this yesterday for dinner. Enjoy! Happy New Year!

Zig
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/31 12:17:33 (permalink)
Another Day, another tenderloin. This time another Huntington Indiana favorite,...Hoosier Drive-in.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/31 13:08:01 (permalink)
quote:
I am in the process of making pork tenderloin sandwiches today for dinner on my birthday of all days. So far I have pounded them and marinated them. I am trying both pork tenderloin and pork loin to see if I can discern a difference.

OK Davydd, which was better?
Around here pork tenderloins are no bigger around than a half a dollar, so mine would have to be pork loin.
BTW, your sammy looks great!
Happy birthday from Milwaukee
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2005/12/31 19:48:38 (permalink)
I made the sandwiches with the pork loins which look a little bit like a pork chop without the bone. Pork tenderloin sold around here is about as thick as your wrist and about 10-12 inches long. Hormel makes a variety of prepackaged flavored pork tenderloins but I bought a locally packaged one at an upscale grocery store. Same with the pork loins. To get the dinne plate size pork tenderloin sandwiches you have to cut the tenderloin crosswise in about four pieces then butterfly cut each piece and then pound away.

Since the pork loins came precut to a standard thicknes of a little over a half inch they can only be pounded so big. I pounded them enough to make sure they overhung the bun. What is the difference between the two cuts of meat? I don't really know but I am going to have to find out. The pork tenderloin was a redder and leaner looking meat. The pork loins lie somewhere between the tenderloin and pork chop in appearance and texture. The pork loins had an edge fat on one side that I cut out. The tenderloins needed very little dressing out of fat.

I did make one small pork tenderloin sandwich for a taste comparison. I judge the pork tenderloin to be a tad more tender and tastier but I would not turn away a pork loin. But now that I have made the pork loin I can tell now that a great many of the breaded pork "tenderloin" sandwiches I have had may have been made from pork loins. They flatten out with the appearance of Antartica or a tornado radar echo tail. That is a giveaway in case you are curious.

I marinaded the meat in a mixture of egg, eggnog, black pepper and Emeril's Essence seasoning. For the breading I food processed regular saltine crackers and added a little bit of yellow corn meal and then some more Emeril's Essence. I deep fried them for a little bit over 3 minutes at 360 degrees F. By 3 minutes I mean I lowered them in basket into the oil and then on the digital timer set for 3 minutes. When the buzzer went off I opened the top and raised the basket. So the total time might have been more like 3-1/4 minutes. Worked out just about right. You have to catch them when they are a deep golden color and before they go brown.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 13:35:24 (permalink)
Found another pork tenderloin sandwich last night. This one is grilled and served with Texas toast, swiss cheese and bacon. It is a truly decadent sandwich and not for the weak of heart or anyone on a diet (of which both should apply to me). Very tasty. It comes from the Red Rooster Bar and Grill in Long Lake, Minnesota on US Highway 12 west of Minneapolis. The Red Rooster has a full menu of burgers, sandwiches, taco salads, main entrees, etc.--not just minimal bar food.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 13:55:52 (permalink)
OK I have mastered fried & pounded pork tenderloin sandwich via my spouse and her mother (Indiana). Bland, bland, bland. What can I marinate same in to give them a tasty ZIP before cooking?
janicks
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 17:14:33 (permalink)
I think dry mustard and course ground pepper is a good change.
Sherp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 18:46:51 (permalink)
"I think dry mustard and coarse ground pepper is a good change."

Jean Anne, would those spices be added to the batter, or to the breading?

BTW, thanks to your assistance, I'm still enjoying making and consuming genuine Hoosier BPTs here in Boise, Idaho.

Tom Sherping
Wabash expatriate
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 19:15:52 (permalink)
Tom (Sherp),

Where have you been? Long time no post. Good to see you back.

With my Holiday Ternderloin I finally tried that Emeril's Original Essence. According to the label it is salt, paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder and "other" (unnamed) spices. I also added more coarse black pepper. Next I will have to try the dry mustard. I put a little bit in the marinade and more in the breading.

I think the real secret is to deep fry properly--hot and only long enough (3 minutes). Much longer and the meat will not be juicey. Lower temps will make the breading greasy and soggy.
Sherp
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 20:55:27 (permalink)
"Where have you been? Long time no post. Good to see you back."

Davydd,

I've just been hangin' out here in Boise. Being that there's absolutely no place within reasonable traveling distance that serves BPTs, I simlpy fall back on my own resources when the craving strikes . . . and I'm never disappointed. Why persue a delicacy which just plain doesn't exist (except in my own kitchen) in these environs? I've considered attempting to "market" the sandwich to some of the local lunch counter/diner establishments hereabouts, but haven't acted on it yet.

It's gratifying to see that this thread still survives on this and the Track Forum. Rightly, or wrongly, I like to think that my input, earlier on, has had a positive effect on the longevity of the BPT thread.

The dry mustard and coarse pepper seems worth a try and I haven't tried Emeril's Essence as yet.

Tom, in Boise

UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/07 21:04:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Tom (Sherp),

Where have you been? Long time no post. Good to see you back.

With my Holiday Ternderloin I finally tried that Emeril's Original Essence. According to the label it is salt, paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder and "other" (unnamed) spices. I also added more coarse black pepper. Next I will have to try the dry mustard. I put a little bit in the marinade and more in the breading.

I think the real secret is to deep fry properly--hot and only long enough (3 minutes). Much longer and the meat will not be juicey. Lower temps will make the breading greasy and soggy.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.
janicks
Hamburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/08 09:05:59 (permalink)
Sherp, I would add them to the batter.You could even add a dark prepared mustard to the
batter to give it more of a zing.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/11 22:09:29 (permalink)
I have all those ingredients but it would be just as easy to go buy Emeril's Original Essence in the store. :) But it is nice to know what those other spices are. Nothing exotic and spices I use a lot. Thanks UncleVic.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/12 23:40:32 (permalink)
Butch,
Thanks for the review. Looks great. It's always heartening when places live up to the legend. One of these days...
The Bear
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/13 01:26:15 (permalink)
Wow Z66.. Now that is a tasty pic! You should submit them pics for review in the 'review' section of the board! Hopefully time permits this May to take a detour to Nicks on the way to Indy!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/13 18:49:44 (permalink)
Butch,

I watched the show last March on the one day I was home sick. Karma as Earl would say. This time I was at work so I set up my Mac EyeTV to record it. It recorded great. Now I will edit down a segment of just the pork tenderloin sandwich segment and make an MPEG4 video that will play on my Video iPod. It should turn out to be a rather small file.

I found the whole show interesting.

BTW, that was a great picture of Jean Anne's pork tenderloin sandwich.
syk9dl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/01/13 19:26:59 (permalink)
If you want a true pork tenderloin--you won't get it. What you are actually getting is pork loin. But who cares, it is still delicious. The best that I have ever had anywhere is in St. Joseph, Missouri at a bar/restaurant named Southgate. It is absolutely huge--often almost plate size-- and at least once inch thick. It comes with loads of pickles, lettuce, tomato and onion. Be sure to order the house fries as a side. They are hand cut. Ask for them extra crispy. This sandwich is so big that it makes for two meals. Your total tab with iced tea will be less than $9!
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1