The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pork Tenderloins

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 39, messages 181 to 210 of 1147
Z66 Butch

• Total Posts: 198
RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/13/06 10:24 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by syk9dl

If you want a true pork tenderloin--you won't get it. What you are actually getting is pork loin. But who cares, it is still delicious. The best that I have ever had anywhere is in St. Joseph, Missouri at a bar/restaurant named Southgate. It is absolutely huge--often almost plate size-- and at least once inch thick. It comes with loads of pickles, lettuce, tomato and onion. Be sure to order the house fries as a side. They are hand cut. Ask for them extra crispy. This sandwich is so big that it makes for two meals. Your total tab with iced tea will be less than $9!

From Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: ten┬Ěder┬Ěloin
Pronunciation: 'ten-d&r-"loin
Function: noun
1 : a strip of tender meat consisting of a large internal muscle of the loin on each side of the vertebral column

I saw nothing at Nicks Kitchen to lead me to believe it was anythng but this. So what is your discription of a "true pork tenderloin"? I have been buying pork loins for years and cutting, breading and frying my own, am I not getting what I thought I was?

Butch

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
    RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/13/06 10:28 PM (permalink)
    If I am correct (??), the "tenderloin" is indeed part of the "loin" cut, but a pork "loin" is not the same cut as a "tenderloin".

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
      RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/13/06 10:35 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by syk9dl

If you want a true pork tenderloin--you won't get it. What you are actually getting is pork loin. But who cares, it is still delicious.

Well, maybe and maybe not. Had you watched the Food Finds show featuring the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Brickyard Crossing Restaurant you would have seen a true pork tenderloin being prepared. Most restaurants in Indiana will serve a true pork tenderloin just because of the pressure of competition. Brickyard Crossing is in about 5th place right now in my taste sampling of Indiana restaurants.

True, the pork loin is a tad different and I went to the trouble to prepare both pork tenderloin and pork loin sandwiches myself last month and discerned not all that lot of difference.

"We're not talking French quisine. We're talking Indiana butt cookin. That's where it all started." Jensen Rufe's "In Search of the Famous Hoosier Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich" (1999, 16-minute video documentary)

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
        RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/13/06 10:42 PM (permalink)

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 01/14/06 7:48 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by garryd451

Check out this Great Topic!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5213

Nice thread, but it doesn't have pictures...

Screen shot from Jensen Rufe's "In Search of the Famous Hoosier Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich" (1999, 16-minute video documentary)

Sherp

• Total Posts: 15
            RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 01/18/06 6:42 AM (permalink)
            If you ever get to Huntington, Indiana, look for Nicks Kitchen right downtown, you will be glad you did!

Butch

Butch,

And to think that I grew up in Wabash, just 19 miles from Huntington, and never made the pilgrimage to BPT Mecca!

Tom (Sherp)
            Boise, Idaho

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 01/19/06 8:03 PM (permalink)
              Tom,

I think breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches are more popular now in Indiana than in our youth. I mostly remember driving clear across Indianapolis from the west side to the east side to Al Green's Restaurant just to get their huge, and I mean huge, sandwich. Now my little hometown of Speedway (pop. 12,000) has six restaurants that I have identified that serve them. I just don't remember that many other than the Mug'n'Bun, another legendary place, and I didn't think Mug'n'Bun held a candle to Al Green's back then.

Z66 Butch

• Total Posts: 198
                RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 01/19/06 10:13 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Davydd

Tom,

I think breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches are more popular now in Indiana than in our youth. I mostly remember driving clear across Indianapolis from the west side to the east side to Al Green's Restaurant just to get their huge, and I mean huge, sandwich. Now my little hometown of Speedway (pop. 12,000) has six restaurants that I have identified that serve them. I just don't remember that many other than the Mug'n'Bun, another legendary place, and I didn't think Mug'n'Bun held a candle to Al Green's back then.

I have been to Al Green's many times! Remember they used to show movies! You go and order food at the walk up window and take it back to your car and watch the movie! They did have a BIG tenderloin along with other LARGE sandwiches!

Have any of you ate at the Irish Point in Pendleton? It must have closed in the 70's but they were famous locally at least for their giant breaded tenderloin!

Butch

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 01/19/06 10:35 PM (permalink)
                  Can't recall the Irish Point in Pendleton. I've been away from Indiana except for visits for 36 years now.

My favorite luncheon pub in downtown Minneapolis, Lyon's Pub on 6th Street between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall is revising their menu for the first time in 6 years. I was told by Steve the bartender today that deep fried breaded pork tenderloins were going to be permanently added to the menu. Hopefully soon. Currently they are only an occassional special. I've been lobbying them hard about this for almost a year. Maybe I contributed to the decision. At least I like to think I did.

http://www.lyonspub.com/

Sherp

RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/20/06 1:12 AM (permalink)

I think breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches are more popular now in Indiana than in our youth.

Dave,

That may well be. With the exception of a few visits, I've been away from Wabash for 53 years. While I was living there, there were at least three sources for the BPT; Jenny Dye's Bar and Grill, The Market St. Grill and Cavin's Drive-In where I worked during summer vacation while still in school. Those BPTs were entirely acceptable and there was no real reason to traipse off to a neighboring town in order to sample their cuisine. Nick's Kitchen would have been just another small-town cafe that happened to serve BPTs.

Tom, in Boise

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/20/06 10:20 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Nick's Kitchen would have been just another small-town cafe that happened to serve BPTs.

Ooooh, don't let Jean Anne read this.

But then Dan Quayle stopped by...and that small-town cafe got its historic due in the pork tenderloin sandwich. Maybe more so now on the Internet.

Since my mother was from Ft. Wayne, we probably made that round trip between Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne going through Huntington several times every year when I was a kid to visit our grandmother. Little did we know the Holy Grail of pork tenderloin sandwiches was within our grasp.

Hopefully this June I will make it through Huntington on my annual Indy road trip.

Sherp

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 01/21/06 2:10 AM (permalink)
                        If you traveled to Indy via. Huntington, you probably went through Wabash, as well.

Tom, in Boise

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 01/21/06 2:59 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Billfish

That's a nice looking menu,I just wonder,what is Chesapeake about their chicken wings?

Probably nothing. They name all their hamburgers after downtown buildings so I would guess it was someone's imagination to dress up the menu. That is the current menu for Lyon's Pub. I have not seen the new menu yet with the alleged breaded pork tenderloin.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 01/21/06 5:40 PM (permalink)
                            Davyyd,
                            Have any pictures of the interior of Nick's Kitchen?
                            The Bear

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 01/21/06 6:29 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by ScreenBear

Davyyd,
                              Have any pictures of the interior of Nick's Kitchen?
                              The Bear

I don't because I have never been there. Z66 Butch might. He is the one who posted the Nick's Kitchen pictures. What I personally have can be found in this message thread or here...

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pork_Tenderloins.html

I just got the new Mac iLife '06 iWeb software and thi is my little contribution.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 01/25/06 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                Here's a link from a Chicago based food forum:

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6861

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                                  RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 01/25/06 1:34 PM (permalink)
                                  More pics! More pics!

Err...here's some pics....I was too darn lazy to check the entire thread to see if this link has already been posted.

http://www.allenbukoff.com/wildBPTiowa03/

I very much like the look of tenderloin #6, so much so that I may just have to stalk one myself

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 01/25/06 1:56 PM (permalink)
                                    I will be trying that Joensy's tenderloin come this May on my way to the Indy 500. It should be about a midday snack. It will be a little less direct but not that much.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
                                      RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 01/25/06 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                      It looks to have a bit more heft to it than something I myself would describe as a snack, hehe -- but hey, more power to you if you can slam that down like I might a white castle single :-)

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Wed, 01/25/06 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                        OK, OK, I'll try to time it so it is lunch time.

One tenderloin does tend to kill your appetite for the rest of the day. Since they are about 800 calories maybe if you just ate one a day to kill the appetite and nothing else thereafter, it could be considered diet food?

ScreenBear

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 01/26/06 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                          Davyyd,
                                          Is that 800 calories including bun?

Figure you multiply 10 X's your weight to find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight. So, if you weigh 200 lbs., you need 2000 calories per day to stay even.

Therefore, have one for lunch, one for dinner, and a 400 calorie piece of German Chocolate cake as a snack in the evening, or for breakfast.

But, if you weigh 200 and want to be 180, you'll have to cut back on the cake. It's not quite Jared's diet, but technically, it'd work.
                                          The Bear

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 01/26/06 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                            To be more precise, Culver's breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is 703 calories.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s06ut.html

So I guess you can have your cake and eat it too.

ScreenBear

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 01/26/06 10:07 PM (permalink)
                                              Indeed. Is Culver's bigger or smaller than the portion at Papa Nick's? Just put a spa next door and we'll draw 'em like gangbusters from both coasts.

Jokes aside, I've often thought that a judiciously chosen, well-constructed diet of pleasing Roadfood could be the trick to reducing.
                                              The Bear

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 01/27/06 7:44 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by ScreenBear

Indeed. Is Culver's bigger or smaller than the portion at Papa Nick's?
                                                The Bear

Culver's is average size for a pork tenderloin sandwich. It has a larger than normal bun but it is not beaten down thin to fill a dinner plate. I would judge it to be about right for the calorie count for the average. I doubt anyone is going to go to the trouble to hire a lab to verify calories for a single restaurant proprietor like they did Culvers. Just to refresh that image. One more look...

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Sat, 01/28/06 10:43 PM (permalink)
                                                  This pork tenderloin sandwich may be a tad more than 703 calories. It is from the Ox Yoke Inn, Independence, MN, a bar and grill west of Minneapolis where exurbs meet farmland and just adjacent to the Luce Line bicycle trail. This sandwich is two breaded pork tenderloins held together with melted Swiss cheese. We were there on a Saturday and the place was full at 6:30 PM. Still in Hennepin County but practically on the border with Wright County, they are under the smoking ban but it doesn't seem to be hurting business because there now seems to be more families with children in the establishment. Good bar food will triumph.

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 02/7/06 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    I'm heading out on a road trip from Minnesota to Massachusetts which means I will be traveling through northern Indiana. I may just find an opportunity to sample a pork tenderloin sandwich going or coming back. Going will be via the toll road. Anything close?

Davydd

RE: Pork Tenderloins Thu, 02/9/06 8:37 PM (permalink)
                                                      Steve the Bartender from Lyon's Pub in downtown Minneapolis called me this morning and said the chef agreed to make a maximum of 6 breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches as a private special for me and anyone else I brought along. This is the pub I have been lobbying to include them permanently and they may do so when they bring out their new menu. Besides what they have on their printed menu, they have a special or two every day but this special was private and reserved for me. Everyone else probably got some kind of grilled chicken. We never asked. :)

I rounded up five others from my office and we headed down there for lunch. The tenderloin was of good size and came with a twist--melted cheddar cheese and barbeque sauce. It was a good eat and I introduced five more to this delicacy and may have converted them.

A total of 22 breaded pork tenderloins are now on my photo web site that I have personally sampled.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pork_Tenderloins.html

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                        • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Pork Tenderloins Fri, 02/10/06 1:28 AM (permalink)
                                                        Another website worthy of a bookmark! Thanks!! Great pics there...

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                          RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 02/14/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                                          We are on the road right now. No pork tenderloin sandwiches in Worcester, MA that I know of but had a great fried Bay scallop sandwich.

We did stop at a motel in Fremont, IN during as snow storm and ordered out for delivery from a restaurant 7 miles away in Angola. The breaded pork tenderloin turned out to be a big pork fritter from what I can tell. For $3.79 with fries I guess that is what should have been expected. I may post it anyway. Fremont and Angola are in the very upper northeast corner of Indiana bordering with Michigan and Ohio. Maybe they aren't true Hoosier up there.

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
                                                            • Joined: 12/28/2004
                                                            • Location: dowagiac, MI
                                                            RE: Pork Tenderloins Tue, 02/14/06 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Davydd

We are on the road right now. No pork tenderloin sandwiches in Worcester, MA that I know of but had a great fried Bay scallop sandwich.

We did stop at a motel in Fremont, IN during as snow storm and ordered out for delivery from a restaurant 7 miles away in Angola. The breaded pork tenderloin turned out to be a big pork fritter from what I can tell. For $3.79 with fries I guess that is what should have been expected. I may post it anyway. Fremont and Angola are in the very upper northeast corner of Indiana bordering with Michigan and Ohio. Maybe they aren't true Hoosier up there.

Fremont and Angola are a big tourist area, could that be part of it also?

Pokagon State Park, Lake James and a Big Discount outlet mall all are located in this ara.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 39, messages 181 to 210 of 1147

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com