Hot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 20
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/16 18:33:12
Dog's entry #5 from Arizona:

Thanks to a tip from Dayvdd earlier in this post, I made it by the Vine Tavern for a Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich and a beverage. There are four Vine Taverns in the Phoenix area, this one was located at the corner of 28th st. and Indian School.

Overall, the sandwich was quite good, it was served with a lettuce leaf and chipotle sauce. I've never had the sauce on a BPTS before but must admit it added another dimension to an already tasty meal.

As usual, I would have preferred the tenderloin to be a bit bigger and the bun to be a bit smaller, but it worked the way it was.

I'll definitely be back in to try their wings, apparently a house specialty.

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/16 20:34:51
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

Hey Dayvdd,

Now that you're a big shot and everything, I hope you don't forget about us "little people."

How can you be a "little person" when eating deep-fried breaded pork tenderloins?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/19 14:49:06
Now that I have unleashed a monster with the Minneapolis StarTribune article I can't rest. Must feed the tenderloin surfers (and myself).

Last night we went to Tony Jaros River Garden on the corner of Marshall and Lowery in Nordeast Minneapolis. Tony Jaros is basically a neighborhood bar with a long bar with booths across on the wall and a few tables. The "river garden" in the dark looked like a clump of weeds, trees and brush at the end of the parking lot overlooking the Mississippi River.

The menu said the Minneapolis StarTribune declared the breaded pork tenderloin the best sandwich on the menu. It was OK but it was not the best tenderloin I've had. The tenderloin seemed more battered than breaded. It was served with toast and the Deluxe was served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and Mayo. It came in a plastic basket and was sliced in half. It was not overly huge. The meat was moist and tasty. Toast and battered seems to be a Minneapolis centric thing. Sully's in Nordeast was similar.

Service was prompt and courteous. Tony Jaros was a cash only bar accepting no checks or credit cards. Fortunately I had cash and there was an ATM machine just inside the door. The Big Game, the Michigan Ohio State game was on the TVs but they promptly switched to the beginning of a Minnesota Gophers Wisconsin Badgers hockey game before the football game ended. It was that kind of crowd. Nordeast is an industrial area of factories, shops, warehouses and modest blue collar homes not too different that I knew growing up in West Indianapolis. The atmosphere was neighborly and unfortunately not my neighborhood to become a regular with it being nearly 30 miles away from my home.

Tony Jaros River Garden Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/19 14:59:36
So I'm down in Maricopa, a small boom town 30 minutes south of Phoenix on Friday, round lunchtime, and i see this place called Ramsey's American grill.

Feeling a bit hungry so I stop and head into the bar. Sure enough, they have a Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich on the menu. It was actually called a "Pork Fritter" so of course I was a bit wary about it being a pre-processed hockey puck, but to my pleaseure they brought out this Very Good Tenderloin. Looks like the breading was actually a beer batter, but it tasted great.

As before, bun was too big. The sandwich was served with lettuce, tomato and mayo. I added mustard.

The owner, Ramsey moved to the area 3 years ago from Champagne, IL, and opened his restaurant about a year ago.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/19 16:36:56
Dog,

That is about 8 places and 5 that you have reported on in Arizona. So that means I could retire comfortably there?
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/20 10:42:42
You may have noticed the blue skys in the background of my pics. Highs in the upper seventies, lows in the 50's and Breaded Pork Tenderloins abound. What else do you need???? Life is good in the Desert.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/20 10:56:40
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

Dog,

That is about 8 places and 5 that you have reported on in Arizona. So that means I could retire comfortably there?

Actually, Davydd, I think the count is 6 as of this writing. Just for fun, let's recap...shall we?

Iowa Cafe - Mesa

Midwestern Meats - Mesa

Wag's Family Restaurant - Tucson

Casey Jones Grill - Phoenix

Vine Tavern - Phoenix

Ramsey's American Grill - Maricopa

Ahhhh, nothing like a trip down memory lane !!!! I might have to do an encore tour
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/20 11:13:39
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Do they have a tenderloin at the Heart Attack Grill?

Are you kidding me? That's their house speciality! Served with a bowl of statins and a side of stints.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/23 11:18:44
Not a pork tenderloin can be found today. The pursuit rests in favor of turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/27 22:24:17
Thanksgiving is over. By Saturday night I was ready for a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich once again. My appetite built up because we did not have any left overs to feast on since we did not host Thanksgiving this year. We drove over to Lake Elmo, MN just east of St. Paul to try the Machine Shed. The Machine Shed is a chain of a few restaurants originating in Davenport, IA and spred to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. It is a small chain "Dedicated to the American Farmer". Parked outside the entrance was a red antique Farmall tractor pulling a trailer loaded with hay bales and pumpkins for decorative effect. On entering you pass through a gift shop area. The restaurant is decorated with a farm motif. Lots of John Deere signage.

The menu is down home comfort food. But we came for the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, their favorite seller. The price was $8.95 at dinner time. It came with french fries. It also came with a table shared fresh baked rolls and pumpkin bread for starters, cole slaw and cottage cheese. The tenderloin was served with a toasted bun, lettuce, tomato and onion with a side of mayo. So you may think since it is a chain it would be on par with a Culver's tenderloin (not bad but average) but this tenderloin was GOOD! The meat was white, thick and very tender. The breading was light, fluffy, dry and tasty. It was a quality presentation in every way. There are several other Machine Sheds. I am now curious as to whether this was of consistent quality throughout the chain or whether they have a chef on board at Lake Elmo who knows what he is doing. When the waitress alerted the chef as to why I was there he came out to greet us. I'm normally anonymous other than the camera but we had my two sisters-in-law with us and they blabbed to the waitress as to why we came so far for dinner (38 miles one way). Here is the sandwich...

kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/28 06:15:10
I've eaten at the Davenport and Rockford, Il. Machine Sheds several times and find just about everything very good but I too, enjoy their breaded pork tenderloin! They are pretty big on all pork products and a good place for a hearty meal!
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/28 12:27:47
They are known for the Iowa Cut Pork Chop.
http://www.machineshed.com/restaurants/index.asp
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/28 12:47:07
the shape is a bit even, kinda looks fritter-ish....although it's pretty clear from your post that it isn't.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/28 21:32:53
TJ,

I think by now I know my tenderloins. It is definitely not a fritter.
soozycue520
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 02:29:50
This may not be the best, but here is a pork tenderloin from Chuck's Bar & Grill in Richmond, Indiana.

[img]
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 06:59:03
Interesting BPT soozy, but is that a ton of pepper on it?? You photo posting is A-OK!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 07:14:13
I have been seeking out a good pork tenderloin sandwich here in the Milwaukee area,and am thrilled to hear that Machine Shed may have one!!!Will be doing my own research there this weekend.Thanks for the heads-up!!
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 13:55:20
soozy

your photo skills look good to me, actually they are making me really hungry right now.

as for the pepper....

when i was a little kid i thought pepper was nasty stuff, my grandfather always ate pepper on everything including his hard boiled eggs. He could never get me to eat the stuff, then one day i tried pepper on something and I have been a pepper addict ever since.

for me you can never put too much pepper on something.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 16:00:58
quote:
Originally posted by cajunking

soozy

your photo skills look good to me, actually they are making me really hungry right now.

as for the pepper....

when i was a little kid i thought pepper was nasty stuff, my grandfather always ate pepper on everything including his hard boiled eggs. He could never get me to eat the stuff, then one day i tried pepper on something and I have been a pepper addict ever since.

for me you can never put too much pepper on something.

I am constantly berated by my wife for putting pepper on everything. She tries to tell me it's because I have lost my sense of taste.

But to me, there is or has been no greater joy than hearing the crunching sound as those little peppercorns make their way through the mill and onto my food....well, with the possible exception of the births of my children. Pepper is THE spice of life!
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 19:33:46
Today I was over in Glendale, AZ (home of this year's NCAA BCS Championship Bowl and next year's Super Bowl) and decided to pop in to a place called Fast Eddie's. (Glendale Ave. and 35th Ave)

Fast Eddie's is a 50's diner-style restaurant with very good service and an impressive menu. Naturally my attention gravitated to the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich on the menu and I decided to give it a try.

Overall the sandwich was pretty good, not great. It came with lettuce, tomato and mayo on a lightly toasted bun. I added mustard, as I always do. It was actually a lot jucier on the inside than it looked on the outside and served piping hot. (wish I could say the same for the fries)

My typical gripe applies here...why such a big bun? It ain't about the bread!! The bun is simply a "handle" in order to eat the loin with your fingers and a little dignity.

Anyway, as I said, the sandwich was pretty good, but it obviously is not Fast Eddie's specialty. If I go back I'll be hitting one of their great looking burgers and a shake or pop in some morning for their highly touted breakfast.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 20:04:20
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Do they have a tenderloin at the Heart Attack Grill?

Are you kidding me? That's their house speciality! Served with a bowl of statins and a side of stints.

Dont forget the Lipitor, Zocor, and Vytorin for dessert.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 20:06:32
It was time for my weekly drooling over the photos here!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 21:16:41
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples

I have been seeking out a good pork tenderloin sandwich here in the Milwaukee area,and am thrilled to hear that Machine Shed may have one!!!Will be doing my own research there this weekend.Thanks for the heads-up!!

Ann,

The Machine Shed is in Pewaukee. I may be making a one day in and out business trip soon so may get the chance to try it for lunch if it is not too far out of my way. I've already asked the person I will be visiting to try and find a place that has tenderloins.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 21:19:13
soozycue,

You undoubtably have posting pictures down pat. Nice looking tenderloin. What I love about Indiana is you almost can't miss walking into any restaurant. I can't say the same for Minnesota.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/29 21:23:21
desertdog,

Did Iowa empty out into Arizona? You keep finding them. I came across a website blog by an Arizonan lamenting not having pork tenderloin sandwiches. Evidently the guy did not look hard enough.
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/30 12:59:32
Arizona (Mesa, Tempe, etc) is where all the Iowa grain farmers spend the winter after they get the harvest in. My wife has 4 different farmer relatives that have condos there.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/30 20:33:24
Affectionately known as Snow Birds, these curious creatures flock by the thousands to the Phoenix area this time of year in search of craft fairs and spring training games. They are often spotted driving 48 miles per hour in the left lane of the 101 or US 60 with their turn signal on for no apparent reason.

They are normally quite placid unless unintentionally provoked somehow in a supermarket parking lot, the canned food isle or the checkout line. Extreme caution should be taken if one encounters a Snow Bird in the process of backing up their RV or Mini Van.

To diffuse a rare but potentially awkward moment of silence while in conversation with a Snow Bird, ask the best route to take from Poky to St. Olaf or, depending on the gender, a favorite recipe for jello salad.

Just teasing, of course. After all, they are the reason so many Breaded pork tenderloin Sandwiches are to be found in the Valley of the Sun, and for that I am eternally grateful!

Voyageur
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/11/30 22:58:07
Davydd wrote --
quote:
Did Iowa empty out into Arizona? You keep finding them.

Iowa migration to Arizona is nearly as old as the Rock Island Railroad. You used to be able to take through trains from places like the Quad Cities and Muscatine to Tucson and Phoenix and sleepers and coaches from Des Moines that were put on these trains. Service to other "sun" destinations like Florida was not as convenient. Iowa not only influenced what we can eat now in Arizona, but visitors returned (and still return) with a taste for Mexican-style food.

What people enjoy in various regions of the country is still heavily influenced by earlier patterns of railway travel. Just look at what people have been dining on in the Miami area for nearly 100 years.

Note to desertdog: Within a month or so, we will outnumber you!
Iowacafegal
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/01 03:29:25
Davy & Dog your right about all them snow birds Gotta love them all.
Well Guys I'm off to Vegas Friday for the weekend for our 14th Av. I'll see if I can find a Breaded Tenderloin. The Iowa Cafe Gal
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/01 09:26:15
quote:
Originally posted by Iowacafegal

Davy & Dog your right about all them snow birds Gotta love them all.
Well Guys I'm off to Vegas Friday for the weekend for our 14th Av. I'll see if I can find a Breaded Tenderloin. The Iowa Cafe Gal

You can drop $23.95 for one at the Hash House A Go-Go [|)] !
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/02 23:36:34
When I get to Las Vegas I will probably drop $23.95 for a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich at Hash House A Go-Go, but I will probably suggest to my wife she try a salad instead of faithfully giving me second opinions on tenderloins.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/04 15:45:19
Just got back from LA, there wasn't a Pork Tenderloin Sandwich to be found anywhere. I did manage to get by Philippe's for an excellent French Dipped beef sandwich (Quite tasty) as well as a little place in Pasadena called...the Rose Bowl?
realtreebar
Junior Burger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/09 12:04:12
we have one of the best porktenderloins around here in albert lea mn. we start with the raw meat and we cook it. then we bread it, then we deep fry it. there great where? Harolds Bar & Resturant Albert Lea mn 56007
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/09 13:06:37
quote:
Originally posted by realtreebar

we start with the raw meat and we cook it. then we bread it, then we deep fry it.

I would think the result would be rather dry.
mhill95
Cheeseburger
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/09 15:11:06
quote:

we have one of the best porktenderloins around here in albert lea mn. we start with the raw meat and we cook it. then we bread it, then we deep fry it. there great where? Harolds Bar & Resturant Albert Lea mn 56007

realtreebar.........That's how the American Legion in Bloomington,
across and down from Met Stadium (now the Mall Of America) fixed
their Pork Tenders.
They were great!
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/10 11:05:11
quote:

Probably not pounding it out first, otherwise that sucker would be drier than a Steven Wright one-liner.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/10 21:43:15
quote:
Originally posted by mhill95

quote:

realtreebar.........That's how the American Legion in Bloomington,
across and down from Met Stadium (now the Mall Of America) fixed
their Pork Tenders.
They were great!

Curiosity is getting to me. Why would you cook the tenderloin before deep frying it? What is the principle involved and how is it cooked beforehand?

Guess I am going to have to check out some American Legion posts. There is one just down the road from me.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/14 09:07:26
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune article, "Eating for One", travels to Texas - Fort Worth Star-Telegram...

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/news_to_use/16220746.htm
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/16 14:59:37
I was able to get my hands on two Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches this week, one at a place I had been before, Casey Jones grill, and the other at a place just down the street from my workplace called "The Other Q."

Casey Jones, I am happy to report is consistant with the Pork Tenderloin, that is, it was just as juicy and delicious as it was last time I was there. The hot wings are pretty tasty as well.

Unfortunately, "The Other Q" was not as impressive. I didn't have my camera with this day so I will be going back for a second chance. I did hear the waitress explaining where some things were to the cook, so in all fairness, this guy probably was not their normal cook. The Tenderloin actually would have been much better had it been plucked from it's hot oil bath about a minute sooner.

This restaurant has a lot going for it, with it's obvious midwestern, down home feel inside. lot's of wood, a pool table, nearly every species of animal that one is allowed to hunt hanging from the walls and friendly wait staff. Something very strange about the place though is that it doesn't have any windows. After spending 45 minutes in the place and then going back out into the mid day Arizona sun amounts to pure torture.

I went by later in the day to take an exterior shot, but I'll have to get back this coming week to give the place another try 'cause the sandwich had potential! By the way, I also do not know the story surrounding the odd name for the place, another reason to hit it again.
Hey Davydd, way to go getting the press coverage. I think it's high time we anoint you the Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Breaded Pork Tenderloin Affectionados!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/16 15:39:07
DD
Where are these places? I'd like to check them out. Maybe the "Q" stands for BBQ, or Pool Que, or I don't have a Q, or I'm Queless or-----
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/16 16:53:57
I will be traveling to the Dallas Fort Worth area next month so my interest is there considering I got deluged with email from Texas this week wanting to know where the pork tenderloin sandwiches were. It seems if desertdog can keep ferreting them out in Arizona there's got to be some in Texas as well. Any suggestions? I'm zeroing in on Grand Prairie smack between Dallas and Fort Worth. When I Google - Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Texas - I get lots of restaurants that also serve something on Texas toast and strangely got more hits in Kansas City than Texas anywhere.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/17 12:17:51
DD
Where are these places? I'd like to check them out. Maybe the "Q" stands for BBQ, or Pool Que, or I don't have a Q, or I'm Queless or-----

Casey Jones Grill is up on Bell and 29th Street on the west end of a strip mall. Always a good atmosphere and good eats (and drinks!)

The Other Q is just south of Deer Valley Road on the west side of 19th Avenue. Kinda in what you would expect to be an industrial park. One of the Honeywell plants is right there across the street.

I am meeting my Mom tomorrow in Tucson for lunch, she wants to go to Wags...I am torn between the absolutely awsome Pork Tenderloin Sandwich (Porky) and the Maid Rite Sandwich (Turbo). The owner is from Indiana and I believe his wife is from Iowa. Can't go wrong with that combination, eh? (If you are familiar with Tucson, it is on the south side of Grant just east of Alvernon.)

Hey Davydd, I would search out areas in Texas known for big Snowbird populations, probably around New Braunfels-Austin-San Antonio areas. Anywhere that sees a big population increase in the winter time is bound to have the home-away-from-home midwestern comfort food restaurants.

Search out sports bars that have an affiliation to a midwestern sports team. I was driving by a place in Cave Creek (north end of Scottsdale) yesterday and remembered that it is a big Green Bay Packer bar. Got to be a Pork Tenderlion in there!

Good luck and enjoy your trip to Tejas! Austin is my favorite city in the state, just don't spend too much time on 6th street!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/17 12:31:27
desertdog,

I know of one place in Mission, TX down along the border west of Brownsville but this trip coming up is the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I have another project in Deer Valley, AZ coming up. I'm a licensed architect in Texas and Arizona and 9 other states.

If it is a Green Bay Packer bar I doubt they will be sporting tenderloins. Wisconsin is brat country and that's what you will probably get. They might have a fried walleye sandwich.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/17 13:24:19
I'm not so sure. Usually any place that supports a midwestern sports team (here anyway) tries to cater to the entire region. Well, I guess I'll find out later this week!

The Deer Valley area is really taking off, esp. around the airport(pun intended.) FYI, The Deer Valley Airport has a good restaurant that serves a great breakfast (and lunch for that matter.) My personal favorite is the Corned Beef Hash.

There is an unbealievable number of Industrial Condos going up around that area and the airport just completed building a new control tower. Access to two major freeways and fast growing residential to the north make it a hot spot for commercial building. Didn't you mention a while back that you did commercial architecture?
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/17 19:01:14
Time to have a little fun. Here is a pork tenderloin on a stick from the Spencer County Fair in Massachusetts. Photo courtesy of my son, Peter.

desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/18 18:51:11
Not to be confused with the Clay County fair in Spencer, IA. Although there it probably would be a "Breaded" Pork Tenderloin on a stick, eh?

Made it down to Tucson today and headed over to Wags for another round of "Porky." "CLOSED ON MONDAYS" read the sign....Duhoooooo!

Sooo...I slid on over to El Charro for some Carne Seca Tacos, which made for a nice consolation prize.

What I wanted, but did not get [|)]

desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/20 21:10:16
Well Davydd......you were right. No Pork Tenderloins at the Packer bar. 0 for 2 this week. Starting to go through withdrawls. They did have Brats. And Walleye, but only on Fridays and on Sundays during Football season. (and perch as well as other fresh water fish)

All was not lost, however. I did manage to score a mighty good catfish po-boy and an excellent Cave Creek Amber from the local brewery.
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/20 21:35:47
What can I say. I know those cheeseheads..
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/20 22:58:28
We have a world class meat market, Midwestern Meats in Mesa, AZ. It's owned by a guy from Iowa. I bought some of his "cubed" pork tenders today and will make BPT's over the holidays. Anyone have any good suggestions for the breading
I'm going to serve them with my fabulous home-made biscuits using Pioneer Biscuit mix from San Antonio, TX. The best biscuit mix I've ever found!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/21 21:37:20
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

We have a world class meat market, Midwestern Meats in Mesa, AZ. It's owned by a guy from Iowa. I bought some of his "cubed" pork tenders today and will make BPT's over the holidays. Anyone have any good suggestions for the breading

But of course.

My Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Recipe Tutorial
http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/25 13:28:19
Pwingsx
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/26 00:19:30
I would love to receive that as a Christmas card. No one else would get it.
desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/26 15:35:38
AHHHH, NOTHING SAYS "CHRISTMAS" LIKE A NICE BREADED PORK TENDERLOIN SANDWICH!

Finally got back to the "Other Q" restaurant in Phoenix. The Other Q is in reference to the original restaurant the owner had called Mrs. Q, which no longer exists here in PHX.

The tenderloin sandwich itself was still not great, and nothing like the "Other Pork Tenderloin" I had yesterday!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17092

Still, I like the restaurant and will be going back to try other items, like the patty melt. Dayvdd, I am happy to report that they also have Walleye, and is supposed to be quite tasty!

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/27 16:00:41
I will be making pork tenderloin sandwiches this coming Saturday. It will be my second annual holiday tenderloin since it will be on my birthday. The one pictured above was from last year. I went to our new local Lund's grocery and bought a tenderloin that weighed in at a whopping 2.45 lbs. I hadn't seen one in a local grocery before weighing much more than 1-1/2 lbs. Can't wait.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/27 19:09:46
Thanks for the lovely Christmas Card!
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/28 19:02:12
We ventured to downtown Minneapolis to have lunch at the Loon Cafe on 1st Avenue in what is known as the Warehouse District--old brick bearing wall storage buildings with heavy timber construction converted to office, loft living, shopping and restaurant use. The Loon Cafe was established in 1981 and was one of the first restaurants to gentrify the area consisting of those artist lofts, galleries and trendy eating establishments at the time before the construction of the Minnesota Timberwolves’ Target Center basketball arena. The area is changing. The artist gentrifiers got priced out and the area became less trendy. The Loon Cafe is one of the lone survivors of the 1980s Yuppie era. It has a fine bar and comfy feel. The food is more sports bar/grill than upscale dining. I have no complaints about that. That was my generation that ushered it in.

The Loon Cafe is best known for its many variety of chilies and is what first set it apart from the sports bar crowd nudging up to the Target Center, but we came for the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. First off, the Loon Cafe’s breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is not your traditional Iowa/Indiana variety. It consist of two small pork loin cuts that were not hammered, but lightly breaded with flour, and fried. The sandwich was served on a toasted onion bun and garnished with shredded cabbage and sliced green onions. A side of Bar-B-Que sauce was provided and of course the customary pickle and fries. The taste was fine but the sandwich does not satisfy my pursuit for the traditional breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. I will go back to the Loon Cafe, but now freed from the pursuit, I think I will want to sample their chili the next time. They reputedly have the best award winning chili in the Twin Cities and five varieties to choose from.

http://www.looncafe.com/
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/30 22:44:50
This is the way to end the year with my 2006 Holiday Tenderloin. Actually I made nine tenderloin sandwiches tonight and they were the most satisfying to date. The meat was so tender it practically melted in your mouth. Enjoy!

desertdog
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/31 11:38:31
Beautiful work, Davydd! I always admire a true master plying his craft for himself and others to enjoy.

All the best in the New Year !
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2006/12/31 21:23:27
Here is a complete description of how I made my 2006 Holiday breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It's a blog.

http://web.mac.com/davydd/iWeb/Site/Pork%20Tenderloin%20Sandwich%20Blog/C6006BFE-A9ED-4306-8972-9E7C5AACCA5E.html
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2007/01/09 21:13:46
Just a quick note. Unless I venture out local (Minnesota) this weekend my next pork tenderloin sandwich may be in Dallas, TX next week. I may have found an "upscale dive" that serves them.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 20