The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pork tenderloin

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
Pork tenderloin Thu, 01/13/05 9:37 AM (permalink)
We dont hear a lot about this tasty little cut of meat,What is your favorite way of preparing it?Whole or pounded in medallions and served with a sauce?BBQ,naw save that for the ribs.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
    RE: Pork tenderloin Thu, 01/13/05 9:54 AM (permalink)
    I start mine off in the skillet with a little water and let the water boil out of the skillet and then sear the tenderloins until lightly browned on both sides. I like to season with garlic-pepper or Natures seasoning and paprika. Serve with applesauce.

Scott -- DFW

• Total Posts: 34
      RE: Pork tenderloin Thu, 01/13/05 11:11 AM (permalink)
      Perfectly barbecued pork loin is one of the greatest things ever put in the mouth of man.

Here's a mesquite-smoked loin in the holding pit at Opie's in Spicewood, Texas.

And here are a few slices of loin I had last Saturday at Cooper's in Llano, Texas.

If you've never had great barbecued loin, you owe it to yourself to try it.

Scott

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        RE: Pork tenderloin Thu, 01/13/05 11:31 AM (permalink)
        I usually stuff cloves of garlic and then roast mine after browning it in a skillet like ensmom but those pictures certainly make me want to try it barbecued. Yum.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
          RE: Pork tenderloin Thu, 01/13/05 12:28 PM (permalink)
          Those photos are drool-inducing. Thank you, Scott.

I make them so many different ways because one is just the right size for two people. One of my favorites is to sprinkle with Jamaican jerk seasoning, grill, and serve with homemade mango salsa.

Sometimes I bake them with chopped onion, garlic and marjoram and serve with honey-mustard sauce or halve and slice them to use in stir-fries or cut one up and make a quick pork cacciatore to serve over pasta. I have also stuffed them with an apple-walnut stuffing and baked in cider with cream added at the end.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
            RE: Pork tenderloin Fri, 01/14/05 10:40 AM (permalink)
            I tend to slice the small tenderloins into medallions which I pan fry and then top with a pan sauce incorporating a red wine/teriyaki/stock reduction plus a bit of cream & butter. Add a side of sauteed mushrooms with garlic and the kids are happy...

hefried

• Total Posts: 367
              RE: Pork tenderloin Sun, 01/16/05 12:39 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Scott -- DFW

Perfectly barbecued pork loin is one of the greatest things ever put in the mouth of man.

Here's a mesquite-smoked loin in the holding pit at Opie's in Spicewood, Texas.

And here are a few slices of loin I had last Saturday at Cooper's in Llano, Texas.

it's actually quite tricky to cook a good pork loin yourself. they dry out so darn quickly.
              these beautiful photos do this lovely cut of meat justice, however,,,,,

If you've never had great barbecued loin, you owe it to yourself to try it.

Scott

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                RE: Pork tenderloin Mon, 01/17/05 11:08 AM (permalink)
                I experimented with some tenderloin medallions last night and they turned out pretty good (translation: my kids ate them and didn't complain). I seasoned them with a simple rub and some crushed rosemary and grilled them indirectly at medium-high heat with some soaked mesquite chips thrown on the coals. Even though they were on the grill for only about 5 minutes per side they were cooked through without being dry and even had a trace of a smoke ring.

Brad O.

Jam3497

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Pork tenderloin Mon, 01/17/05 3:41 PM (permalink)
                  Are we talking about pork LOIN or TENDERloin? I was under the impression that the 2 are definitely not the same cut. The loin will dry out real fast, tenderloin not as bad.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                    RE: Pork tenderloin Mon, 01/17/05 3:53 PM (permalink)
                    Mesquite smoked pork loin is one of our standard items to take to the river every summer for sandwiches. We just rub salt, pepper, garlic and chili powders, let it sit a while, then smoke. Delicious after a day on the river.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                      RE: Pork tenderloin Mon, 01/17/05 3:55 PM (permalink)
                      Which ever I cook, loin or tenderloin, where are indeed different cuts, I avoid buying the injected with saline kind. Some grocery stores in my area don't sell anything else, so I have to shop around. Whole Foods has great pork.

For every pound of pork, mix 1 quart of water, 7 Tbl. kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 smashed cloves of garlic, 1 dried red chile, 6 or 7 peppercorns, a bay leaf, and whatever else aromatic that sounds good, like a cinnamon stick, fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs and a couple of crushed allspice berries.

Mix until the sugar and salt start to dissolve, add your pork and let sit in the refrigerator a day or two. Grill or roast. Makes great sandwiches.

Scott -- DFW

• Total Posts: 34
                        RE: Pork tenderloin Mon, 01/17/05 6:40 PM (permalink)
                        Jam3497 writes, "Are we talking about pork LOIN or TENDERloin? I was under the impression that the 2 are definitely not the same cut. The loin will dry out real fast, tenderloin not as bad."

Loin is a primal cut (comprising about 18% of the carcass). Tenderloin is a subprimal of the loin--the muscle running inside the baby back ribs (also a loin subprimal) at the sirloin end. The photos above are of tenderloin, though, at most Central Texas barbecue places, they just call it loin. Sorry for any confusion.

Scott

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                          RE: Pork tenderloin Mon, 01/17/05 8:27 PM (permalink)
                          Did a little experiment last fall with a pork loin. My dad loves Kessler's Ribs (sp?). I had a full loin in my freezer and decided to try making a boneless version of this German delicacy. Coming from a 'que background I prepped them with a coating of mustard followed by a layer of dry seasoning. Then into the smoker for about 12 hours. After it was done cooking, I pulled it out and sliced it into 3/4" medallions. Holy jumpin' catfish that was some tasty loin! Dad got a few slices too, of course. Served up with a little German Potato Salad and sweet & sour red cabbage, this is a real treat.

When I don't feel like pulling out the smoker, I'll just cut the loin into medallions and grill them with a little dry rub. Fast and easy, and as long as you don't overcook them, good eating

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                            RE: Pork tenderloin Tue, 01/25/05 6:51 PM (permalink)
                            LOL - I knew I made an excellent pork dinner a few weeks back and usually I'll go to allrecipes.com or foodtv. I could not find the recipe...then I found a hard copy and noted the highlighting from the search as being roadfood's. It's Bushie's recipe on this thread!! (I meant to tell you it was so good!!!) I did not use bone in pork, though. I had thick sliced chops from a whole huge loin I got on sale at Shop Rite. Makes for a whole lotta meals in the freezer. This was excellent!

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1280&SearchTerms=smothered,pork,chops

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6202
                              RE: Pork tenderloin Tue, 01/25/05 10:38 PM (permalink)
                              Pork tenderloin.........just made it last night. Pounded it, flour, egg, seasoned bread crumbs, fried it in a cast iron skillet and served it with freshly picked lemons that we brought back from Palm Springs.

Another nice way to do it is leave it in thick medallions, sear in a sautee pan, add heavy cream, veal stock and morels.

Basically, any recipe that calls for veal cutlets can be made with pounded pork tenderloin.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com