Pork,Beef,Chicken

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2004/10/23 05:40:04 (permalink)

Pork,Beef,Chicken

To me, when I think of BBQ I think of pulled pork, or pork in general. I seldom eat beef or chicken BBQ. I'm wondering if there are any purists out there who think this way, or if BBQ is all three meats. Whaddya think?

carl reitz

41 Replies Related Threads

hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 07:53:57 (permalink)
    In Texas I think it's generally beef brisket, pork ribs and smoked sausage, but there are variations. At a couple of the famous Central Texas places, smoked prime rib and shoulder clod are available. I've had some very good pulled pork and a glorious Memphis style pork sandwich with slaw at a now defunct Houston place. Also, smoked turkey.

I've had, and didn't particularly care for, beef ribs and mutton ribs. I sometimes order sliced brisket or sliced link sandwiches at some places but I can't understand why anyone would order a chopped beef sandwich at some of the great places like Kreutz, Black's, Luling, et. al., if they'd even prepare it. That'd be like going to Ruth's Chris or Pappas Bros. Steak House or Peter Luger's and asking for a sloppy joe to see how well they do steak!

I seldom ask for chicken, tho it's available at most places. I like fried chicken, rotisserie chicken, chicken soup and chicken enchiladas, but I don't think smoking does much for chicken and it's usually served already covered with a gloppy, sweet sauce and I prefer sauce on the side. I have had some awesome mahogany brown BBQ chicken at Thelma's in Houston, one of her best dishes - crispy skin, deep smoke penetration, juicy, just a little sauce. I've also got it on my to do list to try the 'Golden Brown Yard Bird' on the menu at Leon's World's Finest In and Out BBQ in Galveston, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 09:26:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, I think your preferences are based on the region you are in. Both examples above are linked closely to what is considered BBQ in that area.
    Central and Western Kentucky has a region that considers Mutton to be the first choice of 'Cue Cookers. It seems that most Church (fund-raiser?)BBQ's do Chicken, but thats probably not geographic, more likely it is economic--chicken is cheap.
    I like Pork, pulled-not chopped up fine, Pork Ribs, Beef- Sliced, Mutton-Pulled also, then the rest of the choices like hot links, chicken, salmon, etc. (In that order)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 10:21:14 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I think you are fortunate to live in a area that has a regional preference. Unfortunately Knoxville has no decent BBQ places. Buddy's get the local vote but that is because people have no other choice.

I wish Hay's was not so far away. As much a I really enjoy Mr. Hay's BBQ, 300 miles one way is a little stiff.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 10:27:47 (permalink)
    http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=90
    http://www.iabbq.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=99
    Carl, you might enjoy this little bit of KC history.I never heard of pulled pork, and barely a pork sandwich, whem I was growing up. That's more an outcome of roasting whole hogs, I think.
    That said, we grew up with Beef, pork ribs, sausage, ham, Chicken, Mutton, and more on various menus around town. Now that Q has become more glamorous, I notice a merging of styles, or styles outside their region.
    If you can ever see the Anthony Bourdain episode where he goes to KC to visit
    Paul Kirk, Houston to visit Dave Klose, and on to the NCto see guys I can't remeber the name of, you'd enjoy it a whole bunch. I don't think Food Network is running that show anymore though. Too Bad, as it was a better than our past summer's Bobby Flay in Q-land set of shows.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 10:32:24 (permalink)
    I prefer the pulled pork myself, but all varieties seem to be available around here!
    Here's a link for fellow bbq fanatics: http://www.barbecuenews.com/
    chickencoop
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 15:30:51 (permalink)
    Growing up in St. Louis I was exposed to all types of BBQ and enjoy all. Now living in Wisconsin I miss BBQ Pork steaks. Are Pork steaks popular any where else but St. Louis?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/10/23 17:32:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chickencoop

Growing up in St. Louis I was exposed to all types of BBQ and enjoy all. Now living in Wisconsin I miss BBQ Pork steaks. Are Pork steaks popular any where else but St. Louis?

Around here (Michigan), if you happen to find them in a restarunt, they are pan fried... Yet to see a BBQ'd one unless it came off my grill...
    carlton pierre
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/23 02:11:20 (permalink)
    Maybe someone could/would explain what is meant by a pork steak? I think of it as a long roll kind of meat that would be fixed some way and perhaps sliced off and eaten? Perhaps made into tenderloins?
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/23 08:34:20 (permalink)
    We have pork steaks in our grocery stores. They are like flat thin pork chops with a bone in them. I flour them and fry them in a skillet. They are rather tasty
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Maybe someone could/would explain what is meant by a pork steak? I think of it as a long roll kind of meat that would be fixed some way and perhaps sliced off and eaten? Perhaps made into tenderloins?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/23 11:35:07 (permalink)
    Pork steaks are cut out of the shoulder area.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/23 11:39:27 (permalink)
    so what would you guys say to someone who does not eat pork? I love the culture, the flavorings and all that goes into BBQ but I dont eat the meat that the style of cooking is most famously associated with.

So I eat chicken or beef. Unlike a previous poster I DO fell that smoking does a lot of chicken. Softens and flavors the meat in a way that I like a lot. I am from the Northeast so we have no real regional preferences. Hell its hard enough to get it!

fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/23 14:25:01 (permalink)

We like to smoke different meats whenever I fire up my big rig. Meats like chicken, lamb, sometimes we'll include fish, like salmon (smoked salmon, right?).

Here we're finishing up a couple of ducks, along with the pork butts, of course! Frank.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/23 20:13:36 (permalink)
    Frank, you're killin me!!! That looks absolutely wonderful!! For some reason when we head south, we're always looking for pork BBQ. We smoked salmon this year and some duck breasts but we usually save the smoking extravaganzas for when we're in California in the winter. In Boston we'd go out fishing and catch a mess of bluefish and I would put lemon and pepper on the fillets and smoke them.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1453
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/24 17:38:38 (permalink)
    Pork Beef Chicken...Once a month I stop at the Dinosaur BBQ on my way home, sit at the bar order a Guinness..or two, (once followed by a Rebel Yell [hey it hasn't killed Keith Richards yet]), and a 'Tradtional Sampler' to go for my wife and myself. 1/4 rack of ribs, sliced brisket, honey hush cornbread and a leg and thigh. Sides might be BBQ beans, mac salad, mean money greens, or whatever the soup-o-the day is.

We split it up along with whatever sides my daughter wants with her pork carolina, and it makes for a great meal.

In short...I love it all. Each brings a special taste experience to the table.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4125
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/24 17:54:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fcbaldwin

We like to smoke different meats whenever I fire up my big rig. Meats like chicken, lamb, sometimes we'll include fish, like salmon (smoked salmon, right?).

Here we're finishing up a couple of ducks, along with the pork butts, of course! Frank.

Frank,
    That duck looks wonderful! I've never seen it done in a smoker----does it taste as good as it looks?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/24 19:25:13 (permalink)
    Just because a region prides itself with a particular meat--sauce--serving style--etc, certainly doesn't mean that that's the only way to go. I really enjoy Beef Brisket, and Top Sirloin roast (a bigger version of California's famous Tri-Tip) done "low and slow". I have done Turkeys, and Turkey Breast, Chicken, and even the little Cornish Game Hens. While not having a chance to do Salmon, I have done some Yellowtail in CA.
    All in all I don't think I have ever done some homemade meat dish in my smoker that didn't do well. I have made errors and over done and underdone meals But that wasn't the fault of using unsatisfactory meat.
    HOWEVER, If you do get into Pork Barbeque..Especially Pork Ribs, I will line up early and stay late to share the bounty !! As in this..... After 3 plus hours in my smoker here are the Ribs and some Vidalia Onions to Sweeten them up a bit.

Can't do Pork, No Problem...get some Ostrich !!
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/24 19:30:01 (permalink)

Ed, This is the truth: from what they told me (my guests and my wife), duck doesn't get any better than this...

I had fixed these as an afterthought (after the pork was pretty much done and I knew the ducks would not take long..maybe 2hours or so). I never realized that they would be devoured (sp?) by the guests before I could come inside and try it. It's fortunate for me that I had the pork.

But seriously, I did get a little pull/pinch of the done meat, and it was delicious.

Frank

edit: I'm being told that the smoking time for the ducks was more like 3 hours or so. (that's nothing compared to the 12 - 14 hours that the pork was smoked, of course).
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/24 20:25:51 (permalink)
    Did you use any sort of mop on them or just a dry rub on the duck?

You do realize you have me salivating now......
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/25 05:52:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

Did you use any sort of mop on them or just a dry rub on the duck?

You do realize you have me salivating now......

Ed,

I usually don't use a rub when cooking "low and slow." The smoke does the work, but here we used a mop of just oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to keep it moist. The ducks are so naturally "moist" that they tend to "self-baste."

Frank
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/25 06:06:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Just because a region prides itself with a particular meat--sauce--serving style--etc, certainly doesn't mean that that's the only way to go. I really enjoy Beef Brisket, and Top Sirloin roast (a bigger version of California's famous Tri-Tip) done "low and slow". I have done Turkeys, and Turkey Breast, Chicken, and even the little Cornish Game Hens. While not having a chance to do Salmon, I have done some Yellowtail in CA.
    All in all I don't think I have ever done some homemade meat dish in my smoker that didn't do well. I have made errors and over done and underdone meals But that wasn't the fault of using unsatisfactory meat.
    HOWEVER, If you do get into Pork Barbeque..Especially Pork Ribs, I will line up early and stay late to share the bounty !! As in this..... After 3 plus hours in my smoker here are the Ribs and some Vidalia Onions to Sweeten them up a bit.

Can't do Pork, No Problem...get some Ostrich !!

Al,
    Those are some fine looking ribs there!

I agree with you about slow smoking, that it's a very "forgiving" process generally. That's a good thing, if I'm the one in charge of the operation!

It's a long, drawn-out ordeal sometimes, and that's the downside. I have to make sure that I will have 2 full days to devote to the smoking, counting the start-up prep, the smoking, the EATING! And the clean-up...

Frank
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/11/26 10:22:27 (permalink)
    I love pork or beef in any form, ribs, pulled, roast when its smoked.
    When it comes to any white type meat like chicken, turkey, duck, I
    think the smoke flavor gets in the way and ruins the experience for me.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/11 13:01:55 (permalink)
    When you hear the word "BBQ", what comes to mind? Pork, Beef, Chicken?
    chickencoop
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/11 22:59:44 (permalink)
    When BBQ is mentioned Ribs are the first thing I think about. Pork steaks and chicken are a close second.
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/12 23:11:34 (permalink)
    ribs! (and pulled pork)
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/13 12:51:01 (permalink)
    Ribs, ribs ribs.........and because I'm out here in CA, Santa Maria Tritip BBQ is right up there. After that, Texas Brisket and pulled pork.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/13 12:58:55 (permalink)
    It's all about the wood, not the meat. I think of the sensual scent ofHICKORY!
    KC Q joints have the most varied set of meats, but the spices and wood used are
    fairly rigid. It really is a mixture of Texas and the Southeast rolled into something completely different, yet the same.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/13 13:44:30 (permalink)
    The real reason that Texans like beef instead of pork BBQ is that it's too hard to steal a pig and ride a horse at the same time.
    Like E. Legasse says - "Pork fat rules!"
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/13 15:28:11 (permalink)
    I lived in Memphis for eight years and crave a Memphis pulled pork sandwich with slaw almost daily. They were so good!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Pork,Beef,Chicken 2004/12/18 11:43:47 (permalink)
    I try to eat what eah region does best. Memhis for pork,Texas for beef. Oregon for smoked salmon. Don"t like babecue chicken and have never had mutton
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1