Porketta

Author
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
2005/04/25 15:39:35 (permalink)

Porketta

Bruce and Sue's review on this site of my beloved local Glider Diner (Scranton, PA) prompts me to ask the rest of our panel about "porketta" (boneless pork mixed with spices).

It's very common here...you can buy a roast ready to be heated at little mom and pop grocery stores, you can have it in sandwiches (usually dry, unlike the Roast Pork Sandwiches in Philadelphia) and even in omelettes.

This area may be quite Italian-American, but I thought porketta was something you could find all over the country...at least at the deli counter. Could I be mistaken?

13 Replies Related Threads

essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/25 15:44:31 (permalink)
    Never saw in CT and MA, where I lived till 92, never seen it out here in Californ-i-ay. More's the pity cuz it sounds like the balls.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 10:50:35 (permalink)
    My family has cooked it at home in New England for as long as i can remember---my brother Bob's is awesome!!! I RARELY see it around the country--italians here in Ok dont know about it--and i never saw it in Calif either--but it really is a killer "sangweech"!!!--on a crispy crusted Italian bread!!!
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 11:03:30 (permalink)
    I've heard of & seen it advertised as "the American version of porchetta," but have never seen it. Of course, I haven't been able to find an Italian deli since I lived in CA 45 years ago! (If anyone knows of an Italian deli in Louisiana I'd love to hear about it.)
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 12:31:07 (permalink)
    I was introduced to this stuff by a neighbor from Minnesota living here in Arizona. I didn't realize porketta habitat extended as far east as Pennsylvania because I grew up in Maryland and never heard of it there (or in the other places I've lived for long periods: NC flatlands, central FL, northern CA and here in AZ). I have always been aware of the Italian porchetta, but not the US (and I still think it's largely midwestern) adaptation. Anyway, I can vouch for the fact that the ones cooked and served by my neighbor were delicious.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 12:33:06 (permalink)
    So are you bringing some of it back with you, BT?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 12:37:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

I've heard of & seen it advertised as "the American version of porchetta," but have never seen it. Of course, I haven't been able to find an Italian deli since I lived in CA 45 years ago! (If anyone knows of an Italian deli in Louisiana I'd love to hear about it.)

Considering that porchetta is a roasted suckling pig, I'm not certain that a roasted pork butt or loin roast is quite the same.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 12:43:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

Considering that porchetta is a roasted suckling pig, I'm not certain that a roasted pork butt or loin roast is quite the same.

Obviously it isn't "the same" but it is, apparently, what immigrants familiar with porchetta came up with to satisfy their cravings. Spaghetti and meatballs isn't something served in Italy either, but in a foreign country people adapt. Consider porketta an adaptation.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 12:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

So are you bringing some of it back with you, BT?

No, Michael. By far the easiest way to get it in places it isn't available in markets is to make your own. Lots of recipes on the internet if you Google it and the ingedients (primarily rosemary and a pork loin roast) are readily available in CA and elsewhere.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 12:58:34 (permalink)
    Discovered Porketta when I moved to Bellingham, MA in the late 80's. They were found in all the stores and sandwich shops in that area of MA, RI and Conn. I really liked the spiciness of the pork and have not found anything similar in my part of the Mid-West. Of course I would have to put down my Breaded Pork Tenderloin to look.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 17:19:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tristan Indiana

Discovered Porketta when I moved to Bellingham, MA in the late 80's. They were found in all the stores and sandwich shops in that area of MA, RI and Conn. I really liked the spiciness of the pork and have not found anything similar in my part of the Mid-West. Of course I would have to put down my Breaded Pork Tenderloin to look.

From what I gather from my transplanted AZ neighbors, it's well known across the Mississippi in Iowa and Minnesota.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Porketta 2005/04/26 18:22:54 (permalink)
    Never heard of it here in Colorado, but I am sometimes fairly clueless.
    barfass
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Porketta 2005/06/25 09:15:03 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone, I know it says I live in New York but that is the closest I could find to Ontario, Canada. I live in Westport, Ontario Canada. Right in the heart of the Rideau Lake system, I grew up with "Porketta" Roasts, I have a feeling by reading on here that maybe this was because of the huge American Citizen population boost around our area in the summers (tourist, fishing) as I have not seen this since the (MacDonalds Grocery) closed down around our area. This was the only place that we could find it and have not found it anywhere since. Hope this gives everyone a picture of how far this great cuisine travels! Happy Eating!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Porketta 2005/06/25 14:40:36 (permalink)
    We seldom had pork other than bacon or canned ham and the occasional porkchops while growing up, yhis is actually a good thing since mom is from the "pork has to be cooked for a week" school. I don't remember any of my so.jersey italian friends having porketta either but it sounds delish!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1