The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia

Sundancer7

Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Mon, 07/7/03 6:16 PM (permalink)
On 8/5/03, I will be doing the ferry from Portland, Maine to Yarmounth NS and from there to the capital city ,Halifax. I need one of the best lobster dinners in route to this destination. After that I will going directly from Halifax to New Brunswick and back to Portland, Maine. I need your advice. Please advise

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

silvrlvr

• Total Posts: 24
    RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Mon, 07/7/03 10:54 PM (permalink)
    In Portland, go to the Portland Public Market right in the heart of downtown. You can eat at Topside, which is a combination fish market/cafe that prepares meals from the fish and shellfish that it has available for sale. Of course you can get lobster here. Take a look around at the other vendors, too; there is a wonderful pie company called Valley View that has little bitty pies, perfect for one hungry person or two less-pie crazed people, and some great breadmakers, too. By the way, 8/5 is my birthday! So enjoy for me. Here is a link: www.portlandmarket.com.

Sundancer7

RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 3:21 AM (permalink)
      I was in Portland the week after 9/11 on a fall bird watching event. We went to the public market and enjoyed it very much. I had lunch at the fish place described.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

Michael Stern

RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 4:16 AM (permalink)
        In Portland, on the water, Becky's serves a real diner meal. For an upscale meal, with great bread, I'd suggest Fore Street (but you need a reservation).

Sundancer7

RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 4:56 AM (permalink)
          Thanks Michael, I get in Portland around 1:00PM and my ferry is not until much later. I will do Becky's on the water. What is the specialty? Best I recall, the ferry terminal is within walking distance.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
            RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 7:41 AM (permalink)
            Haraseeket Lunch and Lobster in Freeport (just a few miles off 95 and Rt. 1) was "on" last week---Yummy mayo-based lobster rolls and good onion rings. You can also order whole lobsters too. Get there early for a gooey "whoopie pie", they were out when we got there...about 7:50pm. This is an "in the rough" setting that may be too casual for a business meeting.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 8:00 AM (permalink)
              Gilbert's Chowder House, in the Old Port in Portland ME for great seafood chowder and clamcakes.

seafarer john

RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 12:43 PM (permalink)
                Sundancer: My sympathy on the tough life you lead , having to go to Nova Scotia in July...

Recommend you look for church lunches being offered this time of year in just about every Nova Scotia village. We always had whatever fish chowder that was being offered, and never failed to enjoy it.

As to Halifax, we never found a meal there that we considered worth the price. If it was expensive up-scale it was not up to what we expected, and , if it was "roadfood" it was not up to the name. That's a few years ago since we were last there, some friends tell us the upscale dining has greatly improved just in the last three years- sorry they did not provide any names. Did have a great GYRO off a push cart once while trying to understand a game of cricket being played in a local park. With it all, we love Nova Scotia and PEI and can't wait to get back - maybe later this summer.

seafarer john

RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 12:45 PM (permalink)
                  Sundancer: Bring your own food and drink onto the ferry.

Sundancer7

RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Tue, 07/8/03 12:57 PM (permalink)
                    Michael Stern wrote about Becky's and I found the website in Portland. My plane gets in around 1:00PM and by the time I rent a car, get my luggage, I can get there about 3:00PM. becky's is on the water and it looks like I can walk to the ferry from there. Best I remember, you have to park you car in line and wait. I thought I would park the car, go to Becky's for some fish or something, have a fews drinks and go the the suite on the ferry. It has been several years since I did the ferry thing, but best I remember, the lobster wasn't bad and the show was decent. I do not gamble much, but the wife did and it seems like she won some money.

I almost always take my own liquor.

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Mavlily

• Total Posts: 53
                      RE: Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia Wed, 07/9/03 4:47 PM (permalink)
                      I assume that you are driving from Nova Scotia through New Brunswick on your way back to Maine. Be sure not to miss the city of Saint John, NB....one of my favorite places in the whole world! We always eat breakfast at a wonderful little place on Germaine St. called Reggie's....very popular with the locals with inexpensive and excellent food. I believe that they are also open for lunch and dinner. It is located next to the Saint John City Market...an adventure in itself. Also in Saint John is Mexicali Rosa's..a super Mexican restaurant. Once we were sitting next to Ben Affleck! On the way from Saint John to the U.S. border is a nifty "hamburger" stand called Ossie's which is just about the cleanest place that I have ever eaten...and the food is awesome! I am so jealous...enjoy! Let us know what you thought about the ferry from Portland.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com