Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy

mlinkinhoker

• Total Posts: 183
  • Roadfood Insider
Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Sun, 05/31/09 11:30 PM (permalink)
So far so good.  We got in Friday afternoon and we ventured out to Stanich's for dinner.  What a find!  I got the world's best burger that had everything on it.  Might be the best burge I've ever had but definitely the best I've had in a long long tie and I loved th atmosphere.

Saturday we got up and went to the Portland Farmers Market and got some killer strawberries, some pastries, tried some other products and then had a chicken tamale from Salvador Molly's for 'breakfast' sort of.

Next we headed over to the Portland Saturday Market on the river where I had to have a cheese pupusa from one of the stands.  Again, wonderful!  Also got some great pottery and wish I could have purchased more of it - great cooking pieces as well as serving pieces.  Pretty glazing style and colors.

Then we met mr chips and trudy for dinner at Pal's Shanty.  We got so into the wonderful conversation and food that all of us forgot to photograph the food.  mr chips and I both had the small buckets of manilla clams - very good!  I think I could have eaten the larger size they were so good.  DH had the open face crab melt and said it was good and Trudy had the chowder and seafood salad.

After dinner we went to Random Order cafe for pie.  OMG - THE BEST PIE EVER!!!  DH bakes great pies and is always doubtful but he will vouch for me on this, he said these are without a doubt the best pies he's ever had at a restaurant or bakery and better than most people's homemade but DH says they still aren't as good as his pies.  She uses fresh seasonal ingredients and she's only something like 26 years old!  Trudy and DH had the peach, raspberry, and ameretto with a oat crumb topping.  I had a berry pie that was good.  And mr chips had banana cream pie with rum I think and it was very good also.  He swears that the bourbon pecan pie was the best pie he's ever had and so he ordered one for us to enjoy when we meet again for dinner on Thursday night.

We walked down the street and I got a chocolate croissant from a French bakery a couple of doors down.  I had part of for breakfast this morning and I had also gotten a piece of the Chipotle pork pie from Random Order and DH got a couple more pieces of pie to go also - the same one he had and a piece of cherry.  All good and all were snacks/breakfast.

Today we drove to Mt. Hood.  We ate a late lunch at this sort of old fashioned Chinese restaurant called China Gorge that is right as you come into Hood River.  Then on the way back we stopped at Burgerville, a local chain recommended by mr chips.  They use organic, local, etc.  They have a lightly battered and fried asparagus from Yakima Valley.  Tillamook cheeseburger.  And a great shake made with fresh strawberries from Boring, OR.

More to follow along with pix and more write ups.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Mon, 06/1/09 1:35 PM (permalink)
    Oh geez, that all sounds delicious.  I can hear buffetbuster booking his ticket for Random Order right now.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
      Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Mon, 06/1/09 2:26 PM (permalink)
      What or who the heck is DH?

Doug Heffernan?

mlinkinhoker

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Mon, 06/1/09 4:30 PM (permalink)
        DH - Dear Hubby - Jeff

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
          Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Mon, 06/1/09 4:56 PM (permalink)
          It sounds like you had a great time.  Mr Chips and Trudy seem like  truly terrific Roadfood guides!

mlinkinhoker

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Tue, 06/2/09 1:21 AM (permalink)
            They are!  We went back to Stanich's tonight and took one of DH's coworkers tht is also here for training and he agreed, great burger!  Then we went to Random Order for pie again.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
              Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Tue, 06/2/09 7:31 AM (permalink)
              Melissa, you are very kind. Melissa and Jeff are wonderful conversationalists, acute and intelligent observers of Portland and its vibes and lovers of good food. It was a pleasure to meet them and we look forward to seeing them again.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Tue, 06/2/09 11:21 PM (permalink)
                    Melissa,  I can assure you that Mr. Chips has taken me to many restaurants, and, yes, taught my son to eat fried grasshoppers.  You might have even figured out that he reads me food reviews after I am already asleep. But, I must admit that Random Order is his best find and that we've met some realllly nice road food people.  You and DH are great fun.   Thanks  Trudy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

mlinkinhoker

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Wed, 06/3/09 12:36 AM (permalink)
                  Well tonight brought a nice meal at Dan and Louis Oyster Bar for Jeff's birthday.  We sat in the bar area which was the original shucking room.  The waitress was a delight as was the dishwasher.  Jeff started talking to this gentleman picking up our plates about the history of the place.  Before it was over they walked all over the place.  One of the ships wheels was from the 1800's and one not sure but think it predates that.  They had some great old picture type maps of Portland dating back 100+ years.  The building itself was built in the late 1800's.  The waitress overheard Jeff telling the guy that it was his birthday and she treated him to his first piece of marionberry pie after our meal complete with two scoops of ice cream.  It was really quite good.

I had the steamed clams for a starter - tiny and incredible.  Jeff had the clam chowder and said it was good but I never got a bite.  We shared the larger portion of the fried seafood platter.  The oysters were great and most were HUGE - think I might have had more than one kind on there.  The shrimp though were outstanding.  Some of the best shrimp I have ever had, incredibly fresh, light thin batter and perfectly cooked.  Jeff said the scallops were good - I let him have them since it was his birthday and he loves scallops.  Andwe never asked which fish was which (cod & halibut) but the larger piece was very good.  I suspect it was the halibut. 

mlinkinhoker

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Fri, 06/5/09 11:48 PM (permalink)
                    So to pick up where I left off last.  I got up Wednesday and drove down to Newport to meet another friend I met on the iternet (this one from a cooking board).  I drove through the wine and hazelnut growing areas but it was too early and some weren't open and then I decided that I really didn't have time to be stopping much. 

I got there at lunch so we headed down to the bay to grab a bite and settled into Local Ocean to eat.  It's a tiny space but they are super friendly.  We started with bowls of roasted garlic and dungeness crab soup with parmesan cheese.  Amazing that the flavors all went to well so great and surprisingly the garlic was strong but did not overpower the crab.  Then we shared two appetizers which come in two sizes - 2 pieces or 4 pieces so we got 2 pieces of each.  The first was crab cakes.  These were thing and light as I have ever had and just perfectly lightly fried.  They were served with a fennel slaw that was amazing.  We asked what was onit and she was goingto bring us the recipe but forgot.  But they keep it printed up to give out.  The second was tuna kebabs.  They were almost 'candied' with a sort of light teriyaki sauce or a hoisin sauce and they were served in a bowl with some pretty spicy Asian style vegetables on a bed of fried rice noodles.  All in all, very nice.

My friend actuallywarned me that Mo's was not good.  More on that later.

I headed back to Portland via the Pacific Coast Highway hoping to reach some of the Roadfood places around Tillamook and Cannon Beach.  But when I hit Tillamook it was after 5 so I decided to hit 6 and get back to Portland.  I did stop in Beaverton and grab some of those familiar Krispy Kreme donuts and Bellagio pizza for my supper after calling Apizza Scholls and finding out they don't take phone orders, there was a 20 minute wait and they only had five pizzas left.

Yesterday we met mr chips, trudy and sam for supper at La Bamba on Powell.  WOW.  DH said that it was the best Mexican he had ever tasted.  Not to mention his 'concoction' of a twisted timber from Smokey Bones - La Bamba layered frozen margarita and frozen blackberry margarita.  The blackberry margarita was KILLER.  He had the Pipian (Mole Verde) con Pollo which had a sauce of pumkin seed, tomatillos, poblano pepper and epazote.  I thought his was best but he thought mine was.  I had Tlatonile which had a sauce of smokey mole made with sesame seeds, ancho and comapeno peppers.  They say they are they only place that makes it but....  Also, the black beans were a very nice balance of creamy and spice.

mr chips had ordered the Kentucky pecan pie from Random Order so we ended our meal with that and it was a very good pecan pie.  I believe it has bourbon in it he said but what I tasted that made it different was molasses and probably a black strap molasses.  Gave it a different taste that most pecan pies and while still sweet, not cloyingly sweet like a lot of pecan pies.

Today after DH got out of his class at noon we decided to wrap up the trip with an afternoon along the coast.  So we took the same curvy route along 6 to Tillamook.  I had a plan but we were having a little difficulty with the GPS because I hit a wrong button so we stopped at the Chamber.  My plan had been to eat at the Fresh Seafood NW tour Tillamook cheese head to Pacific Oyster then on up to Cannon Beach.  Well, the chamber guy said to go to Pacific Oyster and have a snack and then go to Mo's in Cannon Beach.  So we toured Tillamook cheese and headed to Pacific Oyster.

We got to Pacific Oyster and almost left.  The service was very week.  It was all kids and kids will be kids.  But we stuck it out and boy am I glad we did.  I had just a couple of oysters on the half shell and a bowl of oyster stew since we planned to really eat at Mo's.  DH ordered the 2 piece halibut and was very unimpressed with it's looks.  But WOW when we started eating.  This was SO fresh.  I felt like an oyster virgin.  These oysters on the half shell weren't like any other I had ever had.  And the oyster stew was full of oysters and again, so fresh and sweet with cream that I was in heaven.  DH's fish though not impressive or large portions, were so fresh they didn't even taste the least bit fishy.  The fries were undercooked but the seafood was heaven.

We meandered along and ran upon Cannon Beach quicker than expected but we went to Waves of Grain and they were closed so we headed on to Mo's.  I tried to keep and open mind and didn't say a word about what my friend in Newport had said.  DH orded the combination with fish and scallops.  He had the clam chowder to go with it.  The clam chowder was thick and tasted as much or more of bacon than clams.  It was full of potatoes and chopped clams though.  The fried seafood was a joke.  The waitress told us that most of their stuff is not local fresh seafood before we ordered.  Well, this was typical fast food restaurant mass produced junk.  After peeling the breading off the scallops, he found little tiny bites of scallop in the breading, not much bigger than a pea.  As he said, it tasted like Mrs. Paul's straight out of the grocery store.  I had the steamer clams that she were local Manila bay clams.  They were tough and rubbery and flavorless.  The broth had no flavor either.  The green onion and diced tomato were only added as a garnish and no seasonings or flavorings added during the steaming process.  But the worst part of mine was that they were gritty and numerous times I bit down on grit or pieces of shell and prayed I hadn't broken a tooth.  We were disappointed but after she said the marionberry cobbler was homemade we decided to at least end with that.  The scoop of ice cream was full of air and sweet but completely flavorless.  The crust was thin and not the least bit crispy or flaky but more tough than anything.  And the filling had so much thickener in it that it had an off flavor.  So our last 'meal' here was by far the most disappointing.

So we are back at the hotel and I have convinced DH that we have to head out to the corner of SE Hawthorne and SE 12th here shortly so that I can try poutine at Potato Champion which doesn't open until 8pm so we couldn't hit it as we came back.  And who knows, a few cheap food cart items might cure the taste of the horrible experience at Mo's.

I have to say again how truly wonderful mr chips and trudy are.  And Sam was a nice polite young gentleman also.

mlinkinhoker

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Fri, 06/5/09 11:49 PM (permalink)
                      Oh - and either tonight or on the way to the airport tomorrow - we have to make a swing by Voodoo donuts.  Have to have a maple bacon bar.  I dislike maple but I LOVE bacon.  And I have to take a frootloop donut back for my DD.

mlinkinhoker

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Portland OR first three days - dinner with mr chips & trudy Sun, 06/7/09 9:42 PM (permalink)
                        We made it to Potato Champion after 10pm Friday night to get my poutine even though DH had a bad feeling about it.  We were definitely the old farts at the hip food cart corner at Hawthorne & 12th but it was worth it.  Even DH liked the poutine and it helped to erase the bad memories of Mo's. 

We didn't make it to Voodoo although we could have had we known that our flight Saturday morning had been delayed an hour and ten minutes.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com