Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 77
mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Tue, 04/15/08 9:23 AM (permalink)
On October 5th, 2007,the Portland Oregonian printed its annual restaurant guide. It called itself Portland A to Z and provided an extensive list of dishes and where to get them in the city. In the interest of objective information, the Chips family has been sampling these places and are now ready to begin our reports to Roadfood readers about our experiences. Pictures will be added to some of the places as they become available,

(1) Thien Hong-Salt and Pepper Squid
6747 N.E. Sandy
Portland (503)281-1247

This is located in the heart of the city's Asian restaurant row on Sandy Blvd.. My son Sam described this dish as eating aliens that looked like fear factor food but were crunchy and delicious. Onions, scallions and the crusty tentacles are fried expertly and they are crispy , not soggy when you bite into them and they are filled with a heady mix of salt and pepper.
Thien Hong is usually filled with Asian families from 8 to 80. it is noisy and boisterous. I love its ambience and its squid
(2) Dove Vivi-Zucotto Cake
2727 N.E. Glisan
Portland(503)-239-4444
Zucotto cake is a ridiculously rich combo of super high butterfat cream and melted bittersweet chocolate served over amaretto and brandy soaked ladyfingers. Slices are huge and filling, the tastes combining in your mouth for a rich and sweet treat.
(3) Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon- Tamales
16223 N.E. Glisan St
Gresham-(503)-255-4356
Tamales are an incredibly labor intensive food and are not always served on a daily basis in Mexican restaurants. This Mexican grocery on the outskirts of Portland serves them up every day. the sweetcorn masa meal mixed with shredded pork is Trudy's favorite but Sam and I prefer the spicier cheese version. The store is a real grocery and stocked with Jarritos and Penafiel sodas and Mexican and American pastries produced by the on-site bakery.

<message edited by mr chips on Thu, 07/15/10 9:26 AM>

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 12:04 AM (permalink)
    Further additions to the best of Portland list

(4) Pal"s Shanty-Steamer Clams
    4630 N.E. Sandy
    Portland(503)-288-9732

Pal's Shanty is first and foremost a neighborhood place. Pal's has been serving great seafood and cold beer for over 60 years in Portland's Hollywood district. Steamer clams are its simplest seafood, a bucket of clams,nectar, and butter available in small and large buckets.Grilled oysters(my favorite is the Cajun), fried clams, oyster stew that Trudy prefers to Dan and Louie's and an array of sanwiches are also available. The Marionberry pie is a fitting end to any meal. As is almost always the case in Portland, excellent microbrews are available.

(5)The Screen Door-Sweet Potato Waffles
    2337 E. Burnside
    Portland-(503)-452-0880

A breakfast spot on weekends and a nightly dinner spot. Two breakfasts worth noting are the sweet potato waffle and chicken breakfast and the Willapa Bay Oyster hash. Buttermilk chicken(5 0r 6 pieces)rolled in fiery spices and accompanied by a sweet potato waffle is a mix of flavors that entertain the palate and please the taste buds. Fresh Willapa bay oysters and flannel flash are another great combo. There are also nightly specials of fresh organic salads featuring locally grown produce.

(6)Por Que No?-Agua Fresca
    3524 North Mississippi
    Portland (503)467-4149

A gourmet taqueria(sic) in Portland's trendy North Mississippi neighborhood. The menu boasts of using only local ingredients and the tacos are bite -sized morsels. The Oregonian reviewers raved about the agua fresca featuring local cantelope, berries , and apples. My visit featured coconut and cucumber, a combination I like a lot better than i thought I would. Haitian rum is a recommended accompanyment to these drinks and i will give it a try on the next go round.
    <message edited by mr chips on Wed, 03/25/09 8:20 AM>

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 12:54 AM (permalink)
      Further adventures:
      (7) New Deal Cafe-Fried Egg Sandwich
      5250 N.E. Halsey
      Portland(503)-546-1833

This is a small place that exemplifies perfectly some of the most positive aspects of current Portland foody culture. It is a restaurant run by young chefs featuring American comfort food prepared well and made from the freshest local ingredients. This sandwich consists of local cheddar, local bacon, a fried egg served on rustic white bread. Basic food, great taste

(8) Ya Hala- Vegetarian Mezza
      8005 S.E. Stark
      Portland (503)-256-4484

Ya Hala serves the best mezza plate in Portland. If you are in Portland and want Lebanese food, this is the best of some good places. The baba ghahouj is very garlicky and has a smoky flavor I find appealing. The hummous is good and the pitas are baked in a wood oven and are huge and puffy. We added a cheese plate and were quite happy with our eats.

(9)Cafe Castagna-Burger
      1758 S.E. Hawthorne
      Portland-(503)-231=7373

This burger is the best burger in Portland. Hand-formed, cooked to order and served with homemade pickles, homemade mayo, fresh cut fries and a choice of cheeses(bleu cheese for me), the burger is a great mix of tastes. Also available are killer mac and cheese and good penne. Cafe Castagna is the kissin cousin to the more upscale(and more expensive ) Castagna restaurant that shares the building.
      <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 04/25/09 12:04 PM>

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
        RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 7:01 AM (permalink)
        OH, That Portland. Chow Jim

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
          RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 9:49 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Jimeats

OH, That Portland. Chow Jim

The roadfood eastern bias strikes again. There is life West of the Mississippi,Jim. You know, the growing. scenic and vibrant part of the country

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 10:14 AM (permalink)
            Some more places

(10) and (11) Grand Central Bakery-Turkey Sandwich and Chutney &Bacon and Egg Bolo
            2320 S.S. Hawthorne
            Portland-(503)445-1600

Grand Central Bakery has 8 locations(6 in Portland,2 in Seattle). It is an artisan bakery that produces some very fine sandwiches The turkey features roasted turkey, havarti cheese with cranberries,apples, garlic and onion mixed together in a chutney sauce. You also get a fresh cookie. Tasty and the bread is sensational
            The Bacon egg bolo is a classier Egg McMuffin. it is a bolo roll with pepper bacon and an egg with a runny yolk It is served with tomato relish. Simple food, well made. 

(12) Gustav's-Fondue
            1705 S.E. 164th
            Vancouver,Wa (360)-883-0222

Every 70's wedding I attended always featured somebody who gave the bride and groom a fondue set. i got 3 at my wedding. Since then I have had trouble taking fondue seriously as a food. Gustav's 5 locations in the Portland area are a treat if you are in the mood for fondue. I liked the sausage and rye bread dipped in biercheese fondue and Trudy liked a pesto fondue served with toasted bread. Don't go out of your way for this place(Pal's Shanty is only 4 blocks from the Portland location) but if you are looking for a place to eat at Portland's airport, Gustav's is your best choice
            <message edited by mr chips on Thu, 07/15/10 9:27 AM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
              RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 11:50 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by mr chips

4630 N.E. Sandy
              Portland(503)-288-9732

Pal's Shanty is first and foremost a neighborhood place. Pal's has been serving great seafood and cold beer for over 60 years in portland's Hollywood district. Steamer clams are its simplest seafood, a bucket of clams,nectar, and butter available in small and large buckets.Grilled oysters(my favorite is the Cajun), fried clams, oyster stew that trudy prefers to Dan and Louie's and an array of sanwiches are also available. The Marionberry pie is a fitting end to any meal. As is almost always the case, excellent microbrews are available.

I visited Portland this past fall and mr chips and Trudy took me to Pal's Shanty. When he did, he was almost embarrassed that it may not live up to "true Roadfood" standards. Let me tell you - I have never been anywhere that was more authentically Roadfood than Pal's. I hope that mr chips gets that camera up and working and starts posting reviews, because this is a place that people should know about when visiting the PDX.

While I have said this before, it bears repeating....mr chips is one of this forum's true treasures. His soul is Roadfood - and very few people have the passion for their own hometown as he does. He is a welcoming host and is on my list of the Top 5 reasons to visit Portland (right behind the cute hot chocolate chick!). This thread is the most appropriate for him to create - as he soaks up Portland like no one else. I am sure that after he gets done with the Oregonian's list, he can add a few that they "left out!"

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 1:47 PM (permalink)
                What does the chips family suggest for good Italian in Portland?

1bbqboy

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 2:19 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by stricken_detective

(playing the role of WJ):
                  Why would you want to eat Italian in Portland?

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                    RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 4:28 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

...if you are looking for a place to eat at Portland's airport, Gustav's is your best choice

This is so very timely that you wrote the above today as only yesterday I did just that -- dine at...

...Gustav's Pub while awaiting my departing flight out of Portland (of which I will soon post more and all laced with much gratitude to the "Prince of Portland," mr chips). The interesting things are that: (a) we had breakfast there yesterday morning including my son ordering the (only-in-Germany [or Portland INTERNATIONAL Airport]) French Toast & Bratwurst; (b) and that the food was very good.

I, too, would recommend. Wunderbar!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                      RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 9:44 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by bill voss
                      (playing the role of WJ):
                      Why would you want to eat Italian in Portland?

I have some friends that just moved there & they have been complaining that there is no good Italian in Portland. I wanted to make sure they weren't missing out on some great place.

1bbqboy

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/16/08 9:48 PM (permalink)
                        In old school Red sauce checked tablecloth places, they are right. Refer them to occasional Rf poster extramsg's forum:
                        http://www.portlandfood.org

and of course, Mr. Chips

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 12:43 AM (permalink)
                          A few more places:

(13) Pastaworks-Little Betty's Chocolate Cake
                          3735 S.E. Hawthorne
                          Portland-(503)-232-1010

This chocolate cake is an upscale Hostess Ho-Ho. Chocolate cake, whipped vanilla and chocolate covering, basically presented without the preservatives of the mass produced variety. Chocolate lovers will like. others might want to give it a pass.

(14) Nostrana-Pizza Margharita
                          1401 S.E. Morrison
                          Portland-(503)-234-2427

I have never eaten east coast pizza so I am a neutral on the roadfood pizza debates. That said, this pizza is supposed to be Naples style and it very much appealed to my palate. It is a red, white and geen concoction, served uncut, mimicing the colors of the Italian flag,(named after a 19th century queen of Savoy). There is a thin crust with a light dusting of tomato sauce, a dose of mozarella, and a liberal sprinkling of basil leaves. Trudy topped hers with Italian sausage, sam with mozarella, and I sprang for cheese made with water buffalo milk. All were lightly charred. Not local but very tasty.

(15) Stacato Gelato- Doughnuts
                          The doughnuts here are freshmade and available only on weekends. My favorite is the triple ginger but the powdered and chocolate are equally good. But you really ought to get the fresh fruit gelato.

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 2:04 AM (permalink)
                            Further notes on Portland explorations:

(16) A Taste of Europe-Cevapi Sandwiches
                            1739 S.E. Hawthorne
                            Portland-(5030-238-3693

Until 4 months ago, I was unaware of Bosnian food. Since December, I have eaten Bosnian food on a regular basis at this place and the equally marvelous Two Brother's Cafe. A Taste of Europe is a grocery store featuring European items, mineral water from France, chocolates from Switzerland, Belgium and france, obscure wines, rosehip jam and soda. The attraction for foodies is the cevapi sandwich, a combination of fresh ground beef and lamb sausage served on Lepina bread with kajmak, a cream like substance. Sides of onions and a marvelous red sauce also accompany the sanwich. I got it to go but the wise counterman reminded me that I should not hurry and i should take 5 or 10 minutes to enjoy good food and relax. So I did. And he was right.

(17) St. Honore Boulangerie-Tarte Citron
                            2335 N.W. Thurman
                            Portland-(503)-445-4250

A perfect lemon tart. Sweet, rich,, very good.

(18) Puerto Marquez- Camarones Ahogados
                            1721 S.E. 122nd
                            Portland(503)-253-6842
                            One of the greatest benefits of the large-scale Mexican immigration into Portland has been the expansion of the types of Mexican cuisine available. While you can get Mexican standards, any roadfooder who comes to this place must try seafood.. The bright murals depict mexican coastal cities and fishing activities.
                            Camarones Ahogados resemble ceviche. Raw shrimp are marinated in jalapeno, lime juice, and onion. They are served with cucumber to mitigate a bit of the spice. It is a great mix with the added benefit of leaving a spicy liquid residue in which you can dip tortilla chips if you are as unclassy as me.

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 3:48 AM (permalink)
                              More places:

(19)
                              Bijou Cafe-Omlette
                              132 S.W. 3rd
                              Portland-(503)-232-3187

If there is a platonic ideal of an omlette, I think it would be the Bijou's. The omlettes are light, fluffy and never overcooked. They are omlette royalty. My favorite is the Netarts Bay Oyster and bacon omlette but the goat cheese and green onions is also a winner

(20) Binh Min- Bahn Mi sandwiches
                              7821 S.E. Powell
                              Portland- (503)-777-2245

Vietnamese delis are to Portland what Jewish delis are to new York, a joyous celebration of an ethnic food that makes you want to dance. These sandwiches are dirt cheap. Bahn Mi are mini-loaves of French bread filled with meat, cilantro, julienne carrots and a dose of mayo. Tjey resemble subs except they are a little smaller and the bread is fresher. I like the pork meatball the best but i have never had a bad one. And in a multi-cultural only in America twist the store now offers a jalepeno as an optional accompaniement. The marvelous vietnamese delis found throughout portland tell me that Stern-style Roadfood is changing as the population changes but is still as tasty as ever.

(21) La Petite Provence- Papillon
                              4830 S.E. Division
                              Portland(503)-253-1121

The pappillon is a butterfly shaped pastry; it is made with croissant dough and filled with pastry cream and fruit. I had marionberry and cranberry filled pastries and had a tasty, sensual experience, There was a large variety of fruit pastries.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 6:55 AM (permalink)
                                Whew, it's a good thing you were not on a diet this past winter Mr. Chips. Portland sounds like a RF's delight, thanks.

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by John A

Whew, it's a good thing you were not on a diet this past winter Mr. Chips. Portland sounds like a RF's delight, thanks.
                                  On the Roadfood tour bus last year, Michael Stern was kind enough to say that Portland was one of the best eating cities in the U.S. The New York Times said it in print. Since we could not travel much this winter, it as been a pleasure to discover so many places close to home.

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                    Further news:

(22) Tin Shed Garden Cafe-Biscuits and Rosemary Mushroom Gravy
                                    1418 N.E. Alberta St
                                    Portland(503)-288-6966

I work with 3 vegans. Finding a place that meets their dietary needs and my taste bud needs can sometimes be a little tricky. The biscuits and gravy at The Tin Shed are the answer to our mutual needs. The biscuits here are flaky and tasty, the gravy a heady mix of wild mushrooms and chopped up rosemary. The effect on the mouth is divine. Sides of potato pancakes(served with a dollop of sour cream obviuosly rejected by my vegan friends) or cheese grits are also delicious. There is an applewood smoked bacon version that my very carnivore wife and son prefer but I find the vegan version much tastier(perhaps the only time in my life I will type these words).

(23) Lovely Hula Hands- Sex on the Bus
                                    4057 N. Mississippi
                                    Portland (503)-445-9910

In my outings with my MRDD clients, I am forever looking for ways to spice their lives without endangering body or soul. This provacatively named non-alcoholic cocktail is one of the greater pleasures I have found. The mocktail combines orange juice, soda, cranberry juice and peach syrup. it is a a great combo and not as sweet as you might imagine. It gives you a kick and is very bracing. You get all the pleasures of a cocktail without the booze

(24) Francis Restaurant-Grits
                                    2338 N.E. Alberta
                                    Potland (503)-288-8299

These grits are the best I have ever eaten(and I have lived and travelled over a geat deal of the south). The grits are fried and have a crisp, crunchy edge. They are served smothered in poblano chiles with cumin and coriander in what owner Chistopher Pearce told me was a mole sauce. Grilled onions and cheddar cheese are also in the topping. These are not the pasty cream of wheat like grits I have usually eaten, they are a dark and rich and filling start to the day.

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 04/19/08 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                      More:

(25) Roots Restaurant & Bar-Burger with cheese and grilled onions
                                      19215 S.E. 34th St
                                      Camas, Wa(360)-260-3001

Roots represents 3 of the trends that makes Portland area dining so exciting:

(1) Portland area chefs are starting neighborhood gathering place type restaurants all over the map. Chef Brad Root has a lot of local fame but this place is in the middle of nowhere, a minimall at the edge of Camas, a suburb of Vancouver more famous for its smelly paper mill than fine cuisine.
                                      (2) There are really two places to eat here,; a fine dining restaurant with meals from $75.00 to $125.00 a pop and a bar menu with great food at far more reasonable prices. The bar menu has proven so popular that the seating area there has expanded

(3) The menu features American standards made well. The root's burger is top sirloin with seasonings and the cheese choices are bleu, gruyere or Tillamook cheddar The fries are fresh cut but i prefer the onion rings, very thin sliced and coated with buttermilk.

(26) The Country Cat Dinnerhouse and Bar-Onion rings
                                      7931 S.E. Stark
                                      Portland(503)-408 1414

The Country Cat is another of Portland's chef places, this one in the outlying Montavilla neighborhood. Interesting drinks, southern influenced side dishes, onion rings and salads. I had a poached pear and bleu cheese salad that was a divine combination of the sweet and salty. But what lingers are the onion rings. A huge platter, served with buttermilk coating and homemade catsup, was a treat any roadfooder would enjoy.

(27) Wayne's Chcago Style Red Hots- Hot Dogs
                                      3901 N.E. Martin Luther King
                                      Portland

This where you go if you absolutely have to get a Chicago style dog in Portland. Decorated with Chicago sports memorabilia and with lots of photos of famous Chicagoans, you almost think you are in Chicago. Vienna Dogs, Old Style beer, lower prices for dogs and beer during White Sox, Cubs and Bears games Nothing is missing except the accents and bad weather. The dogs are good and cheaper than a flight to the windy city.

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Mon, 04/21/08 12:33 AM (permalink)
                                        Mas

(28)
                                        Detour Cafe-Mimosa
                                        3035 S.E. Division
                                        Portland (503)-234-7499

The Detour Cafe's weekend Mimosas are interesting concoctions. I had a blood orange-lime mixed with Crisalino mimosa which had the sweet taste and light buzz that I hope to garner when I drink a mimosa. organic fruit juices are always available as are seasonal berry juices and mojito mimosas. Available for breakfasts are good potato skillets, granola and frittatas.

(29)Random Order Coffeehouse-Homemade Pie
                                        1800 N.E. Alberta
                                        Portland(503)-331-1420
                                        These are pies like your grandma made. Mine was a strawberry-rhubarb with a sweetness that was heavenly. A nut cream pie was a winner as was a cranberry breakfast pie. Agent Cooper would never have gone to Twin Peaks if these pies had been available

(30) The Florida Room- Pickled Liver Bloody Mary
                                        435 N. Killingsworth
                                        Portland(503)-287-5658

Every Sunday the Florida Room convenes the church of the Bloody Mary. Savvy worshipers order Pickled Liver Bloody Mary,garnished with a marinated string bean, cocktail onion and lime. There are two shots of vodka and a spicy mix that takes no prisoners. An excellent way to deal with your hangover or to have a very tasty drink.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                          RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Mon, 04/21/08 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Pal's... has been serving great seafood and cold beer for over 60 years... excellent microbrews are available.

Mr. Chips,
                                          You make me wish to turn back the clock just enough to venture to Portland to have some food there circa 1978, and wash it down with draughts of Cartwright Ale and Porter. -- Do you remember that brewery? It was located at 617 S/E Main Street, and was the very first micro established outside of California. It was run by Mr. & Mrs. Coury, who had previously been in the wine business.
                                          I know it's a slight amount off this (most enjoyable) topic, but can you, will you, elucidate me on any of your Cartwright memories (if any)? Remember, without them Blitz-Weinhard might not have brewed Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve (now THERE was a gooooood beer! We could buy it here in Georgia!) and their other Weinhard's brews, nor might the microbrewery revolution happened as rapidly as it did in Portland. I hereby assign them a toast of thanks!
                                          Or have I asked you this before?
                                          Hystorically, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
                                          P. S. Athens was the home of the late, lamented Blind Man Ales. Imagine someone having the audacity to brew Real Ale in Georgia in the mid-1990's! Well, they did it, and their India Brown Ale and Espresso Stout are still periodically brewed at Copper Creek Brewing by Blind Man's assistant brewer who now brews there; they are comsumed with much gusto during their all-too-short-and-infrequent stay on the menu board. Aaah!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                            RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Mon, 04/21/08 8:34 PM (permalink)
                                            Mr. Chips,
                                            Retrospectively... I forgot to thank you for a job excellently done here! You make me want to visit Oregon something fierce.
                                            Are there any old mom-and-pop diner-type places worthy of a mention? I really like those....
                                            Salem, Salem Over The Bounding Main, Ort. Carlton in Seven Hills Worth Of Athens, Georgia.
                                            P. S. Or was that Rome? Gee, Rome, Georgia is built upon seven hills, as is Athens....

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Wed, 04/23/08 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                              A few more places:

(31)Jake's Famous Crawfish-Banana Cream pie(sic)
                                              401 S.W.12th
                                              Portland(503)-226-1419

I thought it was a joke when i read this entry. Jake's is Portland's oldest restaurant and it is world famous for its seafood. And I never have enough room for dessert after I finish a meal. But it a'int no joke.
                                              The pie is served on a full dinner plate and a slice fills the plate. The pie is cream custard piled high filled with long slices of banana. Caramel sauce is drizzled over the pie and over the dish and there is plentiful whipped cream. It is a great dessert and actually woth eating here if you eat nothing else.

(32) Pambiche-Cuban Sandwich
                                              2811 N.E. Glisan
                                              Portland (503)=233-0511

This is one of my favorite places to eat in Portland. Cuban breakfast, Cuban dinners, Cuban sandwiches, Cuban beverages. I feel I'm in Miami when I eat here. We even ate outside in a rainstorm, though there were overhead heaters to make it warm enough to eat outside instead of Miami's natural warmth,
                                              The Cuban sandwich is served on a roll with ham, pork, cheese and pickle. It is served with a side of tostones(which I kept calling testostorones to my server and wife's delight). The only way the sandwich could be any better is if I had been eating it in Miami or Havana and going to a baseball game afterward.

(33) Broders-aableskivers
                                              2508 S.E. Clinton
                                              Portland(503)-736-3333

I have written of Broder's before. The aableskivers are small round pancakes served with lemon curd, lingonberry jam and syrup, sprinkeld with sugar. A taste delight, they make me want to fly to Copenhagen(or visit Solvaang, Ca.)

mr chips

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sun, 05/18/08 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                A few additions to the Portland list:

(34) Nuvei Fine Cakes and Pastry- Chocolate Chewy Cookie
                                                404 N.W. 10th
                                                Portland-(503)-546-3032

Gooey and chewy, this postage stamp size bakery makes the best cookie in Portland. No butter, no flour, just a marvelous combination of chocolate and walnut, a bit like a combo of brownie and maccaroon. Yum!

(35) Cafe Be Van- Bubble Tea
                                                6846 N.E. Sandy
                                                Portland-(503)-287-1418

Bubble tea has become a Portland favorite over the last couple years Cafe Be Van has a wide variety of flavors, including Jackfruit, avocado, taro, guava and others. It is a wonderful experience gnawing the tapioca pieces and enjoying the flavors. Cafe Be Van also bills itself as the deli of the future and serves excellent Bahn Mi sandwiches( the pork bar-b Q is probably the best).

(36) Pine State Biscuits-Biscuits
                                                3642 S. E. Belmont
                                                portland

This is the first place I've written about that was not in the original article. It would have been had it been open. Three North Carolina natives have started a hole in the wall that serves light. fluffy and delicious southern style biscuits. I had mine as a bacon and egg sandwich, Trudy had hers with honey butter and strawberry jam. Made me remember meals in the south. The place also serves Cheerwine, so far the only place I've found in portland that has it.

buffetbuster

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Mon, 05/19/08 10:06 PM (permalink)
                                                  mr chips-
                                                  As a huge fan of banana cream pie and having eaten at Jake's Famous Crawfish twice before, I am really disappointed that I missed out on this. But then, both times I was so stuffed from the excellent seafood, that I couldn't even imagine eating dessert.

Keep up the great work on this.....I am really enjoying it!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                                    RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 05/31/08 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                                    We spent the Winter in Dallas. It snowed once - three whole inches! Of course they cancelled school, but the snow was gone by noon. We ate a lot of Q and grilled out often.

1bbqboy

RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 05/31/08 9:52 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MetroplexJim

We spent the Winter in Dallas. It snowed once - three whole inches! Of course they cancelled school, but the snow was gone by noon. We ate a lot of Q and grilled out often.

Wandering Chew

• Total Posts: 121
                                                        RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sat, 05/31/08 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        thanks for a great review- im 1 eastener _miami guy -who appreciates Portland and the whole Willamette valley Mt Hood area. I have always wanted to own a home w/in 2-3 hours of Portland on the coast- there is such an abundance of resources- fruit, wine cheese seafood etc and used so well by the locals. its a great vacation city- i do miss blitz weinhardt private reserve, mm good beer

CoastFan

• Total Posts: 116
                                                          • Location: Issaquah, WA
                                                          RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sun, 06/1/08 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by stricken_detective

Portland isn't a great city for Italian food, but two places I would frequent when I lived in the area (Lake Oswego) were Ernesto's and Nonna Emilia. Ernestos is in the West Side, south of downtown with Nonna Emilia in the town of Beaverton. Both are casual with very generous portions, The calzones at Nonna Emilia are enornmous. The red sauce at Ernestos is thick and very savory.

mr chips

• Location: portland, OR
                                                            RE: Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Sun, 07/6/08 11:17 PM (permalink)
                                                            Today's theme is classics made better by higher quality:

(37)
                                                            Teardrop Lounge-Mai Tai
                                                            1015 N.W. Everett
                                                            Portland- (503-)445-8109

This is an unusual place in Portland. No microbrews, no Red Bull. Cocktails in a modernistic place mixed by expert bartenders Daniel Shoemaker and Ted Gharak. The Mai Tai here is not on the menu but will be made on request. Fruity flavors, a hint of mint insure that this is quite different from the supersweet concoctions remembered from youthful indescretions. It is an adult drink made by a master.

(38) Pearl Bakery-Sicilian Fig Cookie
                                                            102 N.W. 9th
                                                            Portland-(503)-827-0910

Just a couple doors down from Portland best Mai Tai is the Pearl Bakery's Fig cookies. It is the grown up cousin of a fig newton with figs, almonds, dries fruit and a little chocolate. It is rich and sweet with a lot of different flavors mixing in your mouth at one time. Worth a stop while wandering the Pearl District.

(39) Ten-01- Bacon Shallot taters
                                                            1001 N.W. Couch
                                                            Portland(503)-226-3463

The humble tater tot gets its advanced degree at this upscale Pearl District hangout more well known for its wide selection of European beer. Mashed potatoes are mixed with bacon, shallots and creme fraiche, thrown in the deep fryer and served with ketchup. They are crunchy and flavorful. If you go, go during happy hour when the taters are half price.

<message edited by mr chips on Sun, 03/8/09 1:16 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 77

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com