Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2007/12/23 09:20:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:
Originally posted by cmarie

Burnett BBQ in Union is very popular. One is on Burnet Ave and the other on Stuyvesant Avenue. I have only had the ribs & chicken and they were both fabulous.

I've been to the one on Burnet ave many times over the years. It's pretty good. There's one on rt. 22 west in union also called "Rt. 22 BBQ"
Then theres a fairly new one that opened up on the boulevard in Kenilworth called "Reis' BBQ" (Kings BBQ). Their food is really good.

Also Stephanie's on Westfield ave at the corner of Walnut in Roselle park is good.

Although I've lived in Union for quite awhile, this year is the first time I've gotten over to Burnet Barbeque. I agree that the chicken and ribs are fabulous. I'll have to try rt 22 BBQ as it's also fairly close to me. Clark Barbeque is a few blocks freom where I work. Looks like I'll give that a try as well.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2007/12/23 15:59:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cmarie

Burnett BBQ in Union is very popular. One is on Burnet Ave and the other on Stuyvesant Avenue. I have only had the ribs & chicken and they were both fabulous.

I've been to the one on Burnet ave many times over the years. It's pretty good. There's one on rt. 22 west in union also called "Rt. 22 BBQ"
Then theres a fairly new one that opened up on the boulevard in Kenilworth called "Reis' BBQ" (Kings BBQ). Their food is really good.

Also Stephanie's on Westfield ave at the corner of Walnut in Roselle park is good.

Although I've lived in Union for quite awhile, this year is the first time I've gotten over to Burnet Barbeque. I agree that the chicken and ribs are fabulous. I'll have to try rt 22 BBQ as it's also fairly close to me. Clark Barbeque is a few blocks freom where I work. Looks like I'll give that a try as well.

There is also "Laura's BBQ" on Madison Hill Rd. at Westfield ave on the Clark/Rahway border. I havent tried it yet but it is on my list.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/01/15 16:41:50 (permalink)
Va-E-Volte, Phillipsburg, NJ

I noticed this place on several recent trips to the P-burg/Easton area. I finally stopped there today.

They are located at 559 South Main Street. I walked in not knowing what to expect. I sat at the counter and studied the menu for a few minutes. I was not extremely hungry. I decided on the half order of pork steak.

I watched as the cook/chef/owner took three large slices of pork out of the marinating tray and put them on the grill. While the pork was slowly grilling I watched as a plate was piled with rice, black beans, and red beans.

When the pork was piled on top of the rice and beans I realized this was my "small lunch." I noticed the chef cooking some fresh french fries. My jaw must have dropped to the counter when he piled a huge portion of piping hot fries on this already overfilled plate. So much for eating light today. Did I mention that I was also served a small sliced loaf of bread?

About this time I cursed myself for having left my camera at home.

I checked with the waiter and he assured me that this was indeed the half order. I do not think I have ever gotten this much food for only $6. That's right, $6 including tax for a meal that would last you all day.

The pork was delicious. Cooked to a medium it was soft and tasty. The garlic based marinade flavored these tender slices with a subtle but persistent bouquet. The flavor did not hit you over the head, but it pleasantly lingered on my pallette for most of the ride home.

These three huge slices of porky goodness were about 3/4 of an inch thick, 4 inches wide and 6 inches long. This was close to a half pound of meat. Anthony Bourdain would be at home here.

The rice was excellent. Light and fluffy with a few spices, it was the perfect compliment to the pork. The two types of beans held up their end as well. They were not merely plate fillers.

You would be hard pressed to find fries fresher and hotter than the ones that topped the plate. Although these were not hand cut home made fries, they were still very good and an excellent balance to the rest of the meal.

This was my first adventure into Portugese BBQ. I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to future visits to this and other Porugese BBQs in NJ.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/01/19 14:59:30 (permalink)
Fernandes is on Fleming in Newark (Ironbound). I go there about once a month with a customer of mine. The Rhodizio (sp?) is what I get every time. The sangria is awesome as well. While this may not qualify as roadfood or traditional BBQ as we know it here in the States...but...it is very good. Other than spotting some fruit fly's around the salad bar (which I never get anyway) the place is flawless.
I live in Boston & wish they had a place like this around here....I could go for a Harolds (another NJ favorite)branch opening up around here too.
joemarques68
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/01/21 00:17:08 (permalink)
reis bbq here is the menu
kenilworth nj
reisportuguesebbq.com/
kornasjo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/03/16 12:46:50 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Here in Rhode Island where it seems that 1/2 the population is Portuguese (the other half being Italian) I asked some Portuguese Folks around here if they heard of "Portuguese BBQ" and they had this expression on their face...

Ask them if they've ever heard of a "churrasqueira"

A Churrasqueira" is a BBQ restaurant in Portuguese.
kornasjo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/03/16 12:48:43 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Here in Rhode Island where it seems that 1/2 the population is Portuguese (the other half being Italian) I asked some Portuguese Folks around here if they heard of "Portuguese BBQ" and they had this expression on their face...

We have 2 portuguese restaurants in Kenilworth, NJ. One just moved to the highway. We love the food. Simple boiled veggies, black beans, rice and the best fish and shrimp ever.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/03/17 06:59:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kornasjo

quote:

quote:

We have 2 portuguese restaurants in Kenilworth, NJ. One just moved to the highway. We love the food. Simple boiled veggies, black beans, rice and the best fish and shrimp ever.

What is the name of the Restaurant and hat highway is it on?

I've eaten at Rei's on Boulevard and it was good. The dining room was claustrophobic but he food was very good.
essvee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/03/17 13:20:19 (permalink)
It's really from Portugal. On the Portugal shore there are tons of 'piri-piri' restaurants. They all serve basically the same thing--green salad, char-grilled chix and french fries. The reason it's so salty is that the cook slops a bunch of way salty water with some booze in it sometimes over the chix as it grills. The piri-piri pepper is of African descent and it tastes very different than the hot peppers we have over here. It's wicked good.

I've got a recipe somewheres but I can't find it right now. Basically the chix is marinated first and then salted up good on the grill. If anyone wants it I will look harder.

jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey 2008/08/02 22:23:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by essvee

It's really from Portugal. On the Portugal shore there are tons of 'piri-piri' restaurants. They all serve basically the same thing--green salad, char-grilled chix and french fries. The reason it's so salty is that the cook slops a bunch of way salty water with some booze in it sometimes over the chix as it grills. The piri-piri pepper is of African descent and it tastes very different than the hot peppers we have over here. It's wicked good.

I've got a recipe somewheres but I can't find it right now. Basically the chix is marinated first and then salted up good on the grill. If anyone wants it I will look harder.

Do you think you can look up that Piri Piri chicken recipe? I'd like to try it.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1