Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
jerzeydawg

• Total Posts: 167
Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 11:38 AM (permalink)
Im noticing that a lot of Portuguese BBQ restaurants opening around New Jersey.

Does anyone here in Jersey frequent some of these tasty restaurants?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 11:49 AM (permalink)
    Here in Rhode Island where it seems that 1/2 the population is Portuguese (the other half being Italian) I asked some Portuguese Folks around here if they heard of "Portuguese BBQ" and they had this expression on their face...

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
      RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 12:00 PM (permalink)
      What is portuguese BBQ? Anything like Brazilian? There's a shared language.

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
        RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 12:22 PM (permalink)
        I have not seen any of these restaurants in and around Hunterdon County yet. I would appreciate any info on locations for these places and I will volunteer to try one.

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 12:36 PM (permalink)
          Portuguese BBQ is very similar to Brasillian. For most of the part it is chicken and ribs (No BBQ sauce) cooked over hot coals while turning. It is served with rice and french fries for under $10 per person. Its a great fast food alternative and I eat it almost regularly.

Here's a menue from one in Kenilworth nj: http://www.jerseymenus.com/menus.php?businessid=24406

It's become so popular that they are even opening chain restaurants: http://www.zambachicken.com/about.php

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 12:42 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by wanderingjew

Here in Rhode Island where it seems that 1/2 the population is Portuguese (the other half being Italian) I asked some Portuguese Folks around here if they heard of "Portuguese BBQ" and they had this expression on their face...

Ask them if they've ever heard of a "churrasqueira"

A Churrasqueira" is a BBQ restaurant in Portuguese.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 12:43 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by jerzeydawg

quote:

No wonder why no one around here heard about this- This appears to be Brazilian Portuguese, where most of everyone around here is Portuguese via Portugal or the Cape Verde Islands

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 12:51 PM (permalink)
                I guess the big difference between the two is that Portuguese BBq is under $10 and Brazilian BBQ is over $35.

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 1:00 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by divefl

I guess the big difference between the two is that Portuguese BBq is under $10 and Brazilian BBQ is over $35.

The $35 one that you are referring to is Rodizio served at a formal sit down restaurant where they continuously bring BBQ meats to your table. Yes, that is Brasillian.

Brasillians refer to those restaurants as Churrascarias"

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 1:02 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

quote:

quote:

No wonder why no one around here heard about this- This appears to be Brazilian Portuguese, where most of everyone around here is Portuguese via Portugal or the Cape Verde Islands

The people who own these style restaurants are from Portuguese descent. Not Cabo Verde, Angola, Brasil etc....

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
                      RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 1:17 PM (permalink)
                      Well - this all looks very interesting. I guess I will have to haul myself out of Hunterdon County and check one of these places out!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 1:30 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The people who own these style restaurants are from Portuguese descent. Not Cabo Verde, Angola, Brasil etc....

Might be a regional thing...as you can see the Portuguese Restaurants around here don't serve it

http://www.madeirarestaurant.com

http://www.restaurantrow.com/ShowPics.cfm?Type=Menu&nCode=849187&code=849187&Byte=u&Number=1&Ext=gif&Name=Estrela%20Do%20Mar&Word=menu&Count=3&state=RI

http://www.menujoy.com/menu15.htm

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 3:11 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

Wow! This place has great prices : http://www.menujoy.com/menu15.htm

actually, now hat i'm looking at this menu i see that they do serve the BBQ Chicken: http://www.restaurantrow.com/ShowPics.cfm?Type=Menu&code=849187&nCode=849187&Byte=u&Number=3&Ext=gif&Word=menu&count=3&state=RI

"Frango de Churrasco" It's on Menu #3 second from the bottom .

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 3:23 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

quote:

Wow! This place has great prices : http://www.menujoy.com/menu15.htm

actually, now hat i'm looking at this menu i see that they do serve the BBQ Chicken: http://www.restaurantrow.com/ShowPics.cfm?Type=Menu&code=849187&nCode=849187&Byte=u&Number=3&Ext=gif&Word=menu&count=3&state=RI

"Frango de Churrasco" It's on Menu #3 second from the bottom .

TA Restaurant- the place with the great prices was actually reviewed on the site
                            http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=474

Many of the Portuguese Restaurants around here (The East Bay of Rhode Island and Southeastern MA) rely heavily on Seafood.

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
                              RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 7:09 PM (permalink)
                              i have seen at least 6 different Portuguese BBQ places in recent years here in central/northern NJ - i have also seen half of them close rather quickly, unfortunately...the remaining one i frequent that constantly pleases my tummy and wallet is Stephanie's in Elizabeth, 733 Edgar Rd....

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Sneetch

i have seen at least 6 different Portuguese BBQ places in recent years here in central/northern NJ - i have also seen half of them close rather quickly, unfortunately...the remaining one i frequent that constantly pleases my tummy and wallet is Stephanie's in Elizabeth, 733 Edgar Rd....

I ate at that one a few weeks ago. It's at the Bayway Circle.
                                They have another Stephanie's in Roselle Park on Westfield Ave at Walnut street too. Good Food. Their rice is tasty too.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                  RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                  I went to the one that is on Long Island and reviewed on this site (http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1462).

I didn't find the price to be too bad, but I thought that the food was really salty - and I usually don't mind too much salt. It makes me think that it must have been REALLY salty.

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/8/07 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

I went to the one that is on Long Island and reviewed on this site (http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1462).

I didn't find the price to be too bad, but I thought that the food was really salty - and I usually don't mind too much salt. It makes me think that it must have been REALLY salty.

Hello Traveling man. Yeah they use kosher salt on their BBQ meats. But it sounds like they slipped on yours . Thats bound to happen once in a while.

Thanks for providing the pictures. That is typical of what to expect at a Portuguese BBQ place. Good fresh food cooked over hot coals for about a dollar more than what you'd pay at a McDonalds where they serve garbage.

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
                                      RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Tue, 11/13/07 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

quote:

They have another Stephanie's in Roselle Park on Westfield Ave at Walnut street too. Good Food. Their rice is tasty too.

Jerseydawg--

Have you been to the Clark BBQ on Raritan Road just beyond Walnut Ave? I've been there twice in the last few weeks, and it is a winner. Ribs are not slopped in high-fructose corn syrup-based BBQ sauce but have a nice complex flavor with a bit of a chew. Grilled salmon is flavorful and comes out rare when requested. Good steak. French fries should be on the list of controlled substances, they are that addictive, and homemade flan is some of the best anywehere. Skip the soup. The place is small, has a little bar, and prices average $11-15 for mains. This is a true Roadfood place.

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/15/07 8:35 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by albinoni

quote:

quote:

Hello, I have been to the Clark BBQ several times. As a matter a fact, I just took my dad there for lunch a few weeks ago and he loved it. He too ordered the ribs. The ribs are seasoned and then cooked over coals while turning so that they cook evenly without getting tough.

The fries have that crisspy texture because they use french fries in which are sprayed with a coating of cornstarch before freezing and packing. Burger Kings fries go through the same technique .

If you want really really good french fries go down the road to the White Diamond restaurant and order fries extra crispy. Also, white Diamond serves the best cheese fries ( I order them extra crispy too).
                                        The amount of cheese that they put on it is unbelievable. Trust me. their cheese fries are a true experience and very addictive.

Cheers! JD

Jerseydawg--

Have you been to the Clark BBQ on Raritan Road just beyond Walnut Ave? I've been there twice in the last few weeks, and it is a winner. Ribs are not slopped in high-fructose corn syrup-based BBQ sauce but have a nice complex flavor with a bit of a chew. Grilled salmon is flavorful and comes out rare when requested. Good steak. French fries should be on the list of controlled substances, they are that addictive, and homemade flan is some of the best anywehere. Skip the soup. The place is small, has a little bar, and prices average $11-15 for mains. This is a true Roadfood place.

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Thu, 11/15/07 8:37 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

quote:

quote:

Jerseydawg--

Hello, I have been to the Clark BBQ several times. As a matter a fact, I just took my dad there for lunch a few weeks ago and he loved it. He too ordered the ribs. The ribs are seasoned and then cooked over coals while turning so that they cook evenly without getting tough.

The fries have that crispy texture because they use french fries in which are sprayed with a coating of cornstarch before freezing and packing. Burger Kings fries go through the same technique .

If you want really really good french fries go down the road to the White Diamond restaurant and order fries extra crispy. Also, white Diamond serves the best cheese fries ( I order them extra crispy too).
                                          The amount of cheese that they put on it is unbelievable. Trust me. their cheese fries are a true experience and very addictive.

Cheers! JD

wmceaton

• Total Posts: 313
                                            RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Mon, 11/26/07 12:28 AM (permalink)
                                            Fernandes in Newark is my favorite...

albinoni

• Total Posts: 149
                                              RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Mon, 11/26/07 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by wmceaton

Where is it located and what have you had there that you liked?

JakerDog

• Total Posts: 204
                                                RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Fri, 12/7/07 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                                Some of the hole in the wall places in Perth Amboy are serving up great food. I wish I knew the names but I was always a passanger, but I was very impressed with the food.

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                                                  RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Fri, 12/7/07 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

quote:

If I am not mistaken, this place is located down where Ferry St and Raymond Blvd merge, and essentially become one way streets through the Ironbound section, right before the roads go under the Pulaski Skyway.

jerzeydawg

• Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
                                                    RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Sat, 12/8/07 9:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

quote:

It is located on Fleming St. at the corner of Church St.

cmarie

• Total Posts: 45
                                                      • Location: New Brunswick, NJ
                                                      RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Sat, 12/8/07 9:36 PM (permalink)
                                                      Burnett BBQ in Union is very popular. One is on Burnet Ave and the other on Stuyvesant Avenue. I have only had the ribs & chicken and they were both fabulous.

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Sat, 12/8/07 9:40 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by cmarie

Burnett BBQ in Union is very popular. One is on Burnet Ave and the other on Stuyvesant Avenue. I have only had the ribs & chicken and they were both fabulous.

I've been to the one on Burnet ave many times over the years. It's pretty good. There's one on rt. 22 west in union also called "Rt. 22 BBQ"
                                                        Then theres a fairly new one that opened up on the boulevard in Kenilworth called "Reis' BBQ" (Kings BBQ). Their food is really good.

Also Stephanie's on Westfield ave at the corner of Walnut in Roselle park is good.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                          • Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                          RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Sat, 12/22/07 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                                          One can do a sort of Mini Tour of Portuguese BBQ places just by driving along a 5 mile stretch of Rt 28 in Middlesex County NJ. All of these places have similar menus, and in each of these places you get a ton of food for $20 or so, and all are eat-in or take out. All have friendly, courteous service. Heading from East to west:

Dunellen: Planet Chicken 107 N. Washington Ave, just off 28. I think this one is actually Peruvian. I'm sure there are subtle differences in the cooking but to the novice, I can't tell.

Dunellen: Dunellen BBQ, 626 Bound Brook Ave (Rt 28).

Bound Brook: 28 BBQ, 303 West Union Av (Rt 28).

Bring $60, stop at all 3, and you've got enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week. I've done it.

--Ken

jerzeydawg

RE: Portuguese BBQ in New Jersey Sun, 12/23/07 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by ken8038

One can do a sort of Mini Tour of Portuguese BBQ places just by driving along a 5 mile stretch of Rt 28 in Middlesex County NJ. All of these places have similar menus, and in each of these places you get a ton of food for $20 or so, and all are eat-in or take out. All have friendly, courteous service. Heading from East to west:

Dunellen: Planet Chicken 107 N. Washington Ave, just off 28. I think this one is actually Peruvian. I'm sure there are subtle differences in the cooking but to the novice, I can't tell.

Dunellen: Dunellen BBQ, 626 Bound Brook Ave (Rt 28).

Bound Brook: 28 BBQ, 303 West Union Av (Rt 28).

Bring $60, stop at all 3, and you've got enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week. I've done it.

--Ken

Yeah it seems like there are pockets of these restaurants throughout the state. I lived in Ironbound Newark for 5 years and there was one at almost every corner. I truly miss being surrounded by so many good restaurnts in which i could walk to.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com