Posole - Red or ?

Author
mauricio23
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/12/04 14:36:48 (permalink)

Posole - Red or ?

Hello,

What would be your personal Posole receipte ?

I found a few on the internet.

Just wondering what the members are up for ?

15 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2006/12/04 17:29:56 (permalink)
    My favorite posole recipe is to find a nice home style restaurant when I am in Santa Fe
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4079
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2006/12/04 18:12:58 (permalink)
    Definitely red. I usually get mine at Casa Sanchez here in Long Beach. I've made it myself once, but found out (IMHO) that it's one of the things that's hard to justify me making when it costs me $15.00 for ingredients etc. and a whole day's cooking when I can get a great bowl just by doing a 5 minute drive and spending $5 for a huge bowl. The best I ever had was at a small place in Old Scottsdale, AZ----but I can't remember the name of the place. AS it gets colder----posole becomes one of my favorites lunches.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2006/12/04 23:33:01 (permalink)
    Hey, Ed, is your opinion truly humble? Because mine sure isn't!

But to the point. I haven't made posole myself yet, but you can get dried posole at Mars Hill Bulk Food Store, 745 Carl Eller Road, Mars Hill, NC 28754, (828) 689-3353. I'm sure it's available elsewhere, but I was in the area and found it. No web site, though.

There's a recipe in Cocinas de New Mexico, published by the NM Public Service Company. Several copies are available from Amazon, including a couple of new ones. It turns out that the whole cookbook is available on the web:
    http://www.vivanewmexico.com/food.recipes.cocinas.html

These are New Mexican recipes submitted by NMPSC employees, and they are very good.

Posole: http://www.vivanewmexico.com/nm/food.recipes.cocinas.platos.html#posole
    It has links to both red and green versions.
    Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2006/12/05 02:34:02 (permalink)
    I prefer mine red, it just looks more appetizing. I make mine with chicken pork butt, onion, lots of S,P, onion & garlic powder. Add the dreaded canned hominy white or yellow your preference. In the cold months we eat soups including menedo or posole at least twice a month.

Try making a small batch first. 1 whole chicken leg & thigh, 1 piece of country style pork. Place in pot with 1/2 an onion. add enough water to cover the meat so that you have atleast 3 inches of water over the meat. Simmer on low medium covered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat from the pot, let cool, cube the pork, debone the chicken put the meat back in the broth. Stir in one 16 oz can of yellow hominy, 2 tablespoons of powdered CA chili or New Mexico chili add salt to taste. Heat up the soup again, serve in a large bowl. Serve with shredded cabbage, lime slices or crushed pepper.

I know there maybe some people that say this isn't the real stuff but it sure taste good...
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2006/12/05 02:38:04 (permalink)
    Since I heard this story years ago, I haven't been able to eat the stuff, regardless of color:
    quote:
    From Wikipedia: The story of pozole is obscure, but some believe that the stew originated with the natives of Tonalá, Jalisco. After the arrival of the conquistadores, Tonalá’s legendary queen Cihualpilli threw a banquet in their honor and pozole was served. After the priests found out the secret behind the recipe (human flesh), a decision was made to change the human flesh for pig's. Pozole spread throughout New Spain with variations in different regions according to local tastes.

I guess I just have no faith somebody hasn't reverted to the original recipe.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2006/12/05 10:37:14 (permalink)
    I prefer the green. A long time ago (25yrs) a friend took me to a little rustic place in Bernalilllo, NM, horses tied up outside and genuine cowboy looking types and well as many Native Americans all gathered at little tables or at the small counter. My first really good posole but since have enjoyed it at the Shed and Tia Sophia's in Santa Fe, just not as unique a setting.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/01/11 11:30:40 (permalink)
    Matt Martinez Jr., of Matt's Rancho Martinez restaurant in Dallas, was just on the morning news show with a Texas style Posole recipe. Basicly he just added some Texas style chili spices to lean ground pork, green chiles, and hominy. Looked great to me though I think it should be called "posole chili". Matt has a cookbook called Mex-Tex something. Matt's family owned tha Matt's El Rancho in Austin. Maybe they still do?
    Joe
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/01/11 11:36:51 (permalink)
    The only posole I have had was made by the teacher of my Spanish class. She is from Morelia in Michoacan, Mexico. She made a chicken version that time, but also does a pork version. The broth was red. Unfortunately, she didn't give us the recipe.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/01/11 12:16:38 (permalink)
    Salustra, the red was probably from chili powder, mamybe? Matt's recipe was going to be posted somewhere. It was a local Fox news show called "good day" that he was on. He said you could also make this with turky, so chicken should work also.

I had a some leftover Wolf Brand chili, and some yellow hominy, in the fridge. I decided to get rid of two bowles so I mixed them together, not bad! I eat that allot now, 1 can of Wolf and one can of yellow hominy. Some good homemaid chili w/ hominy would be even better I'm sure.
    Joe
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/02/16 11:04:01 (permalink)
    We make both, just depends which we want at the time. If red, I use Chimayo(northern NM}ground chile powder. If green, Hatch(southern NM)green chiles. Diced pork, cumin, mex oregano, garlic, onions, chicken broth. Those are the primary ingredients. If canned hominy is what you have to work with, try this. Drain into a collander, rinse, place in a pan with chicken broth gently simmer for about 20 minutes, let rest while you prep other ingredients. Then add hominy to your posole pot as you ordinarily would in the recipe process.
    guacshorts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/02/21 16:19:37 (permalink)
    my ex taught english in morelia, mx, and when i visited her, her boss' mother made us pozole. She soaked the whole dried chiles--guajilla, passilla, etc-- in hot water first to get the water rich in chile, then pureed that mix, added it to the pot and cooked the pork over the course of a couple hours. other ingredients were garlic, onion, oregano, and of course hominy. i would say the secret was the soaking of the whole chiles then pureeing them, and adding more stock/water so as to be very "watery" and not thick. it was the best pozole i have ever had after the pozole my grandmother used to make for me when i was a chamaco visiting her in guadalajara, mx.

hope this helps. try it out. i've made it a couple times and it is yummy. remember to add the limes and fresh lettuce/cabbage to top off the bowl of pozole.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/02/23 17:54:35 (permalink)
    Red. I don't make it, living in this Mexican kitchen rich area I live in I don't need to.

In a pinch, Juanita's brand makes a great canned posole. It's red too.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/02/23 17:57:14 (permalink)
    i agree with the engine capt.
    by the way, great to see ya, cap'n.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/02/23 19:23:37 (permalink)
    Thank you Dayle. I'm back, and on a high speed connection, so this old warhorse of a site loads nice and fast.
    guacshorts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Posole - Red or ? 2007/02/24 03:18:36 (permalink)
    In a pinch, Juanitas has great MSG added for flavor. Yumm. Still, follow the directions to a rich Mexican town filled with pozole dreams... *yearn*
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1