Possibly starting a food truck

Author
MattBrown
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/09/05 17:24:21 (permalink)

Possibly starting a food truck

Hey everyone. First time posting and should be posting a bunch over the next month to get up to 30 posts.

My friend and I are looking at starting a food truck business. It will be a side business for both of us, since we can't afford to give up our full-time jobs at the moment. We really enjoyed looking at the different builds on the forums and plan to post our as we trudge along.

Two quick questions:

We found a GMC workhorse stepvan. The kitchen area measures 7' wide x 12' long x 6'2" high. Do I have enough head clearance to install a hood vent and be able to cook efficiently? Anyone with any experience with this type of van? It's the FI engine.

Thanks in advance,
Matt Brown

3 Replies Related Threads

Coney Boy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Possibly starting a food truck 2015/01/29 02:08:01 (permalink)
    same situation here, ill follow your progress if you follow mine!
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 419
    Re: Possibly starting a food truck 2015/01/29 05:48:16 (permalink)
    The type of hood will be critical, I'd probably design a steep angle type hood.  Doing that will keep the front edge or rim back from the front of the cooking area.  Obviously if your tall its going to be very tight.  You'll be limited for anything overhead such as lighting or vents.  
    The front of a hood must come down some distance so I'd be sure you only hire short people for this work space, but keeping it back a bit from the front of the work area will help.  

Google "kitchen ergonomic dimensions" and you'll get a lot of illustrations showing ideal, min and max dimensions for work spaces that may help.
    Polara Pat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: Possibly starting a food truck 2015/01/30 12:26:06 (permalink)
    The truck I'm building ('93 Grumman) has very similar dimensions to what you have but maybe 14' long. I am actually in the process of building my hood vent system and I think it should work pretty good. I showed the plans to my health inspector and he seemed to think that it would do the job of evacuating any steam and smoke pretty quickly. I bought a used commercial vent and I'm sectioning it down to fit my space. If you don't have the fabrication skills for this then you will obviously have to buy a new unit to fit your needs.

Here's where I am at today. Hopefully have it ready for install this week, once all of my wall cladding is up.

post edited by Polara Pat - 2015/01/30 12:27:13
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
    -->