Helpful ReplyHot!Post your bugs and issues here...

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 19
Author
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/11/16 02:21:01 (permalink)
Yuppicide, it is not a browser issue, rather, it has to do with a security feature on our web server.  Certain keywords in the URL cause a page denial.  Try using this URL http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=498970
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/11/16 11:11:42 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads up and quick reply. That link worked. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I'll remember for next time if I encounter any issues.
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/11/30 07:15:47 (permalink)
Here's something new that has never happened to me on the Roadfood site before, ever:  
POP-UPS! Now granted, they were blocked by the blocker I use in Firefox, but I have never even had the notification before.

Worse, the counter at the top at one point kept going up quickly and I exited the page when it said '5 pop ups blocked'. I'm sorry I didn't keep note of the URLs, but can say that I was reading trip reports (3 by billy boy and 3-4 by buffetbuster) and the pop-up blocks did NOT occur when I posted comments etc, but just immediately after arriving on a page, mainly after clicking to a 2nd or 3rd page.

The only other site I get this many blocks on is "GoComics" where I occasionally read my favorite comics that I miss, and they have nasty pop-ups that get through the blocks on occasion.

I don't know if it has to do with how the ads are sold, but I'll say it made me very nervous. (I understand pop-ups that get through are one of the frequent origins for spyware? but am NO expert!)

Thanks.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 724
HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/08 18:10:05 (permalink)
I'm really confused about the process, and indeed the entire purpose of reviews here...

I say this because after submitting a review for a place I recently tried, I got an email saying that I didn't rate it high enough...and also didn't include the average price...

I tried to write a review about a place and I got an email from Bruce Blimes that said, in part: 

Hi John, thank you for submitting Be-Bop's Diner to Roadfood.com.  Before we can consider your submission for publication on the website, you'll need to make the following changes or additions:

•       You gave the restaurant a relatively low rating.  We aim to post only the best of the best at Roadfood.com.
•       The Average Price field must be entered. 

And my REPLY:
Howdy...

I don't know their "average price"...all I know is what I paid for the meal I ate...

I'm not sure how my rating scale jives with others...I thought it was a
fairly good and reasonable rating for my 1st time there, and it would be totally dishonest
to give it the top rave review rating unless I felt it was just absolutrely spectacular...

For me ,it's a GOOD average place...and the bottom line is that I *will*
go back again...I'd rate it around 7 on a scale of 10...

Perhaps y'all might want to rethink your rating system...if you allow ONLY
the best of the best (as you say) then that is a skewed result and perhaps not an ACCURATE
reflection of the experience...You're creating an artificial sense that everything
posted is fabulous, when in reality we know that medium ratings are certainly no insult...

What IS the point of having multiple choice ratings if you summerily dismiss all but the top ones...???  

IMHO that is just plain goofey...the object of a REAL review is an honest evaluation, not one articifially peppered with nothing but superlatives that might not be warranted...

Can you dig it...???

While I can see the value of not posting crappy reviews, this very heavy FILTERING of reviews by the Roadfood.com staff, et al, is by process eliminating some potentially nice places to eat that may have gottem medium reviews...

Don't you want honest reviews so folks can make up their own minds...or is the intent to provides a "call to action" for only a select few restaurants (which equals free promotion)...???

Here is what I wrote about the place I attempted to review...and let the readers make up thir own mind(s) as they see fit...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=677495
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/08 19:02:22 (permalink)
The point is, we're not trying to be a directory of every restaurant in America, or every restaurant that serves edible food, or even every restaurant that serves pretty decent food.  We want to showcase the best, most unique regional restaurants in America.

We welcome mediocre and bad reviews, with one exception: the FIRST review of a restaurant must be better than that.  We want to be sure SOMEBODY thinks it's a great place before we post it.  We're not asking that you make a place out to be better than it is just to get the review posted.  Rather, we're asking that if you don't think the place is great, then don't submit the restaurant  (If you have negative things to say about a place that's already posted on the site, we want to hear about it - maybe it's a restaurant we should drop from our listings).
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/08 23:24:47 (permalink)
Gosh...I don't think 7 out of 10 (my personal scale) is a low rating...

I think the difficulty is trying to fit that into 1 of 4 choices we have to rate it by, which in my opinion is less than meaningful...at least to me...maybe others might find those 4 choice to be ok...

I'd like to urge y'all to review and reconsider your rating system of only 4 choices, and that arbitrary MILEAGE bit...(around here it's 14 miles "to town" and a decent steak is 38 miles away, a distance that might inhibit city dwellers)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/09 00:28:04 (permalink)
What's with all these Blue Links things popping up on people's posts? Looks like someone is hacking in and putting promotional messages in peoples posts.
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/09 00:52:09 (permalink)
BackRhodes

Gosh...I don't think 7 out of 10 (my personal scale) is a low rating...

I think the difficulty is trying to fit that into 1 of 4 choices we have to rate it by, which in my opinion is less than meaningful...at least to me...maybe others might find those 4 choice to be ok...

I'd like to urge y'all to review and reconsider your rating system of only 4 choices, and that arbitrary MILEAGE bit...(around here it's 14 miles "to town" and a decent steak is 38 miles away, a distance that might inhibit city dwellers)

Its the same issue again. Why would anyone want to read a review of a mediocre restaurant? Even you didnt think it was outstanding. Who cares then?
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/09 01:57:12 (permalink)
We're getting skewed semantics here...

I said that (in my opinion) that I rate it 7 ot of 10...while that might not be considered "outstanding" it certainly is NOT mediocre...and if one considers "5" to be medium, and a "7" is better than medium, or average...how does that get construed to be "mediocre"...???

Smokestack, is it your personal mission to disagree with EVERYTHING I type...???    What is your problem......???

You're obviously STALKING me here...

Try using a few social graces...nobody has appointed you to be a misguided "know-it-all" conscience of this webby site, have they...??? To you everything is mediocre (a word you like to use in excess)...

Lighten up...your are not any more important here than anybody else...

STOP STALKING ME...!!!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/09 10:02:53 (permalink)
Foodbme

What's with all these Blue Links things popping up on people's posts? Looks like someone is hacking in and putting promotional messages in peoples posts.

Can you post a link to a page that has this?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/09 12:40:22 (permalink)
Stephen,
Here's one. There are others. I'll look for them too. See post #2
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=677456&high=
Here's another one:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=676804&high=
And another one:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=677588&high=

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/12/09 13:03:22
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/09 12:59:01 (permalink)
It looks fine to me, maybe your browser is having an issue or you have a virus on your machine...
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/09 13:54:37 (permalink)
I tried it with Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer - no blue things.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/09 15:26:09 (permalink)
What OS are you using, and is it possible your video ram is low, or your driver is farkled...???
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 301
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/09 16:12:03 (permalink)
BackRhodes

I said that (in my opinion) that I rate it 7 ot of 10...while that might not be considered "outstanding" it certainly is NOT mediocre...and if one considers "5" to be medium, and a "7" is better than medium, or average...how does that get construed to be "mediocre"...???

Smokestack, is it your personal mission to disagree with EVERYTHING I type...???    What is your problem......???

Try using a few social graces...nobody has appointed you to be a misguided "know-it-all" conscience of this webby site, have they...??? To you everything is mediocre (a word you like to use in excess)...

STOP STALKING ME...!!!

NONSENSE. NO ONE IS STALKING YOU. ABSURD.

IT IS A PUBLiC FORUM. I WILL COMMENT ON ANYTHING I LIKE.

No one said I was more important. I will use whatever words I choose. 

Dont want comments then don't post. And yes I think most of the places you have suggested are mediocre. At best. 

You don't want advice. Even from respected posters like WJ. You want to have people agree with you.

You choose to write about awful chain FF places and are surprised when people comment?

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/09 18:45:09 (permalink)
Please,let's behave. boys...Food...not fighting!!!!
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/09 20:37:11 (permalink)
Actually I like WJ because he's respectful...
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
Re:HONEST ratings and reviews issue... 2011/12/09 22:36:16 (permalink)
smokestack lightning

BackRhodes

STOP STALKING ME...!!!

NONSENSE. NO ONE IS STALKING YOU. ABSURD.

IT IS A PUBLiC FORUM. I WILL COMMENT ON ANYTHING I LIKE.
No one said I was more important. I will use whatever words I choose. 
Dont want comments then don't post. And yes I think most of the places you have suggested are mediocre. At best. 
You don't want advice. Even from respected posters like WJ. You want to have people agree with you.
You choose to write about awful chain FF places and are surprised when people comment?

Smokestack Lighting, not true. This is a privately owned forum. As such the owners and management have set certain standards. You tend to push those standards. I'm getting tired of getting trouble tickets, two in the last month, for things you have posted. Consider yourself warned.

MikeS.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/12 14:53:28 (permalink)
I've lost the availability to get the "Reply to Quote" feature when I put my cursor over the "Reply to Message". I'm not getting the dropdown that allows me to reply to quote.  
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/28 16:04:25 (permalink)
I'm not able to get the drop-downs to drop down on the "Reply to Message" or the "Subscribe to this Thread'. Won't let me quote a message or subscribe to a new thread! 
The only way i can subscribe to a thread is to post a message or go to one I already posted and Click on "Edit Message" and when it appears then go and click on "Get instant notification' and save. then I'm subscribed to the thread.
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/12/29 00:35:00
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1299
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2011/12/31 10:35:29 (permalink)
What browser are you using? It works fine for me in Firefox.

Bart

Foodbme I'm not able to get the drop-downs to drop down on the "Reply to Message" or the "Subscribe to this Thread'. Won't let me quote a message or subscribe to a new thread! 
The only way i can subscribe to a thread is to post a message or go to one I already posted and Click on "Edit Message" and when it appears then go and click on "Get instant notification' and save. then I'm subscribed to the thread.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18390
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2012/01/02 12:20:13 (permalink)
I've been getting nothing new showing up in any section since last evening. In fact, every old post I do see shows as having recently been posted. Example, in the Glee Club meeting thread the last post I see is from Wamnddering Jew to SUndancer explaining how Priceline workds with regard to credit cards. It shows as having been posted two minutes ago, when in fact, if=t was posted yesterday.

I've posted tests, and when I do that the current thread shows up, so I can see that there have been further posts. But when I again go to the thread all the newer posts are gone, including my tests. I have rebooted a couple of times, but the problem has not been resolved.
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2012/01/02 14:00:30 (permalink)
Perhaps this is on the server side...???

It sounds like the server is farkled...maybe IT needs to be rebooted...???

I don't know how the server is set up (off site, or leased ???) but perhaps there was a major backup or upgrade...or, maybe the server had to much bubbly and has a hangover...???...

jofie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2012/01/15 18:43:02 (permalink)
FYI:  I cannot recall the BBQ place that was  the talk of the forum.. in Tennessee that is now defunct, could you refresh my memory as to the name of the BBQ place?

We stopped there perhaps in early 2005 and ordered ribs.  We were totally disappointed in the ribs, in fact they were so hard, crusty (we let them know initially that we came for the ribs) In fact, we asked for a doggie bag and kind of snuck out of the back door.  The ribs were not as cracked up about.  I deleted the name of the BBQ place. 

I believe that you interpreted wrongly my question.  I'm asking for the name of the now defunct BBQ restaurant that Roadfood bragged on approximately in 2005 if only for my memory satisfaction.
Thank You!
post edited by jofie - 2012/01/16 19:43:52
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7846
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2012/02/29 21:53:26 (permalink)
SEARCH FUNCTION not operating.

I get this when I try:

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2012/03/02 16:19:03 (permalink)
mar52, that will happen with certain keywords - it is locked down for security purposes, because someone can use those words to hack the site.
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
Re:How to Edit Messages with Photos 2012/03/06 04:28:55 (permalink)
hi - i submitted a restaurant review a couple of weeks ago, and would suggest upon submitting content that it would be great if an automated response could be emailed that said "we received it". I'm not sure what the turn-around time for a submission is, so something generated that notes that it was received would ensure that it's sitting in a queue somewhere to be reviewed. That said, is there an expectation of how long a turnaround may be expected for submissions?
lifefoodfilm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2012/03/26 09:55:34 (permalink)
Unable to add profile picture. No buttons to click/buttons there not clickable.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2012/03/26 11:45:55 (permalink)
lifefoodfilm

Sorry but that feature is not active on this forum.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4526
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2012/03/26 13:57:23 (permalink)
Tony Bad

lifefoodfilm

Sorry but that feature is not active on this forum.

Personally,
I think that would be a great feature for the site.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1