Helpful ReplyHot!Post your bugs and issues here...

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 19
Author
cecif
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1414
LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/26 21:16:22 (permalink)

cecif
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/30 09:27:18 (permalink)
I am confirming by this post that the issue the Roadfood.com site has is with Mozilla's Firefox 3.0.7.

I am posting through IE, a browser I generally refuse to use.

I encourage the RF admins to find a solution to this problem, not just for me (I will not be coerced into changing my browser of preference for only one website) but for all the many thousands of Firefox users out there.  I have version 3.0.7 which was updated twice recently and one of those updates is likely causing the incompatibility (since I had none before and have used Firefox since its inception many years ago).

Sorry to be so stubborn, but I am of the opinion that compatibility problems should be not have to be worked around by single users like myself, but by software developers and those implementing and deploying the software.

I suggest RF admins should check with their software vendor for this new bulletin board software and find out what's going on. I'm also surprised I am the only one with the problem, however I am also probably the only one who figured out that I could type in the subject line only. Otherwise ALL methods of communication between user and RF are CLOSED to a Firefox user, since the PM system will not allow posting or messages either.

Thanks and see y'all again some day.....   
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/30 09:57:49 (permalink)
ceci, I'm using Firefox at home (don't know offhand what version) but I can PM fine both to and from.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/30 10:03:11 (permalink)
cecif

I am confirming by this post that the issue the Roadfood.com site has is with Mozilla's Firefox 3.0.7.

I encourage the RF admins to find a solution to this problem, not just for me (I will not be coerced into changing my browser of preference for only one website) but for all the many thousands of Firefox users out there.  I have version 3.0.7 which was updated twice recently and one of those updates is likely causing the incompatibility (since I had none before and have used Firefox since its inception many years ago).

Sorry to be so stubborn, but I am of the opinion that compatibility problems should be not have to be worked around by single users like myself, but by software developers and those implementing and deploying the software.

I suggest RF admins should check with their software vendor for this new bulletin board software and find out what's going on. I'm also surprised I am the only one with the problem, however I am also probably the only one who figured out that I could type in the subject line only. Otherwise ALL methods of communication between user and RF are CLOSED to a Firefox user, since the PM system will not allow posting or messages either.

Hi Ceci, I understand your frustration but the problem with solving issues such as this is that they are often something localized to your computer. I am typing this response using Firefox, so there isn't a broad or general problem with firefox and roadfood. There must be some combination of programs, settings, security settings, or something else that may be causing your issue, but I do think it is something on your end. I have tried three systems from here...one with XP/Firefox, one with Vista/firefox 3.0.7 and another Vista/firefox 3.0.8 and cannot reproduce your problem.

You wrote you are using version 3.0.7 of firefox, but I see today there is a version 3.0.8 available. Maybe it addresses your bug?? Worth a shot.

Don't give up just yet.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6351
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/30 11:01:11 (permalink)
I'm using Firefox too with no problems that I am aware of.
cecif
installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/30 22:52:25 (permalink)

brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/31 01:08:11 (permalink)
I was wondering why the general membership is excluded from adding to the review of the featured restaunts?  Today they highlightted the Mel-o-Dee in new Carlsile.  Having eaten there many tims and believe we had a lot to offer.  Same with a review of the famous Buck Hor Exchange.  I was on the kitchen staff there 70's and had a lot I could have shared.  I understand the need for special privelages for the insiders but it seems that the general membershiop.
I made a tounge in cheedk comment that dedicated posters should recieve a free upgrade at the 1000th post!  It would help boost the site back up.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/31 01:24:00 (permalink)
Any registered member can submit a review!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/31 07:22:56 (permalink)
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

I am using Internet Explorer version 7.0.6001.18000.

Half of the time when I reply to a message I cannot type in the "Text:" box when I try to insert a link.  The URL: box works, but not the other one.

It just happened minutes ago, but it works in this message.

Any ideas why this is happening?
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/31 07:24:26 (permalink)

It's doing it in this message.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/31 07:44:56 (permalink)
cecif

I did some searching and see many firefox users have had similar problems on other forums since version 3.0 of firefox, yet many others are having no such issues. No one seemed to figure out a clear solution other. Most seem to think it is an issue between firefox and firewall and/or anti-virus software you are running. Many affl;icted seem to be using Norton, but some are not.

Are you able to disable your firewall and virus software just long enough to check if it makes any difference?

Unfortunately, all I could find as far as a solution goes is people using alternate browsers to access their forums. Not the solution you want. 
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:installed 3.0.8 today... still no luck. guess it's a sign... 2009/03/31 07:54:46 (permalink)
Now, Firefox will not let me 'paste' into the text box; I have to use ctrl-V.
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2087
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/31 08:50:10 (permalink)
cecif

I used Firefox 3.0.7 and currently using 3.0.8, and don't not heve that problem.
cecif
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/31 09:17:01 (permalink)
Logged in through IE to post again.

I can't say I enjoy having it pointed out that I alone have issues with Firefox. However, I am a competent and experienced web user, and have been a member of various "forums" or bulletin board sites since 1995. I have never had issues like this and still today on other websites I have no such issues.

What I have done to attempt to resolve this (and why I am really probably now giving up) -

1. Checked all Firefox settings and deleted all cache and cookies. Re-started computer & Firefox, no resolution.

2. Downloaded latest version of Firefox (3.0.8) even though the upgrade to 3.0.7. had only been done "automatically" a few days before. Re-started computer and Firefox, no resolution.

3. Re-checked all settings in Firefox, re-started, no resolution.

4. Checked all settings in RF and changed to full-screen reply, from pop-up. No resolution.

5. Turned off anti-virus s/w and firewall, re-started Firefox, no resolution.

I have tried other solutions as well, and tested many websites, and have no problems with other sites, but (obviously) no resolution here either.

Interestingly, when I click on "Reply to message" with "quote message", you would think that it would at least place the quote in a box or on the screen but no quote appears. I used to be able to post with quotes.

Two more items:
a) I did not update Firefox or change settings and then have this problem appear, it appeared "out of the blue" for me. Though I do regularly upgrade my browser, I checked the dates and they don't coincide.

b) I actually am now having problems with 3.0.8 that I did not have in previous versions, that is several websites that used to load quickly act as though they are "still loading" when they are not. This does not happen on RF, but it does happen on may Yahoo sites and also on sites without any advertising. (I originally thought it was the Yahoo advertising, which could still be an issue... as it could here as well.)

Okay, that's it. I didn't mean to or want to but I spent many hours trying to resolve this.  Thanks to Tony for his advice and to Al for his help.

No thanks to other tech admins here who don't even acknowledge my posts, much less address my issues.  I'll slink back to Firefox now and leave you all in peace.

Best wishes to all Firefox users - may you not have the problems that I have!
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/31 09:46:47 (permalink)
cecif, you have my sympathies.  I'm sure it's frustrating.  As for the question of tech admins addressing your issues: this website isn't some big company with an IT department.  It's staffed by volunteers.  Just a few of them at that.  And only one of them deals with computer/software issues.  And he owns the site.  And has an overflowing Roadfood plate right now.  And has a full-time job (not Roadfood, not IT) to boot.  I don't know if he will be able to eventually address and solve your problem, but he is aware of it.
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2087
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/31 10:04:08 (permalink)
cedif,

I'm not without problems using Firefox on this forum. for exam. I can not click on the Forum's fornt page, the Latest Conversations link and go to the topic. Only the Forum index page, but on another system with Firefox I can.

So I suspect the problem has to do with Windows version being used or  another program in the computer.

cecil ....... a) I did not update Firefox or change settings and then have this problem appear, it appeared "out of the blue" for me. Though I do regularly upgrade my browser, I checked the dates and they don't coincide.

So at one time Firefox did work for you.   This make me think you have an adware/malware/virus problem.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/31 10:36:13 (permalink)
If you are having problems on this forum try going to ASPPlayground.net you can click on at the bottom of the page to go to. There they have sample forums you can test in. If you don't have the same problems there then there might be something wrong here in Roadfood.com. If you have the same problem then I suspect it might be something to do with your computer.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.8 on a Mac and have no problems.
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/03/31 11:02:21 (permalink)
I went to add a comment on the Mel-O-dee rest.  Heres what I get..

Sorry...This page is for subscribers of the Roadfood Insider
What is the Roadfood Insider?
If you are a fan of Roadfood then you should definitely consider becoming a member of the Roadfood Insider.

The Roadfood Insider is a premium edition of Roadfood.com consisting of the following tools to help you find great Roadfood anytime and anywhere:
  1. Roadfood Off-line - Dowonload all reviews into a slickly presented PDF file for you to print or transfer to a mobile device
  2. Roadfood Logbook - Unedited information about the great and not-so-great meals of the Roadfood team before they are posted as full review write-ups
  3. Roadfood Maps - Visual guidance before arriving at your destination
  4. Roadfood GPS Support - Points of Interest - Navigate to Roadfood restaurants directly from your GPS
  5. Roadfood & Google Earth - The ultimate trip planning resource
  6. Roadfood Mobile - Lightweight version of Roadfood.com that is accessible via Internet connected cell phones and mobile devices

Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/03/31 11:15:38 (permalink)
brittneal

I went to add a comment on the Mel-O-dee rest. 

How did you try to add a comment?  I'm not really sure what you mean by that.  Nobody has the ability to comment, per se, on a restaurant review.  What people can do is write their own reviews and submit them.  Perhaps you were trying to add a Logbook entry?  Logbook entries ARE open to Insiders only.
cecif
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/03/31 11:26:24 (permalink)
p.s. to my prior post:

1. I am 99.999999% certain my computer is clean. In fact I had a recent scare that turned out to be a manual setting in IE (which I never use) that needed changing... it was blocking me from getting Windows or A/V updates. In the course of which I cleaned up (though had not much to clean) and scanned and took all proper & necessary precautions. So, the malware/virus idea - which I intended to address - is out. My system is currently over 90% thru with a full scan on updated Trend Micro A/V s/w again with no issues so far.

2. I had wanted to add to my prior post a comment about running in Firefox. Here is the comment and the *IE* problem I encountered when attempting to edit:

a) When I loaded this page of this thread in Firefox today, it never stopped loading and at the bottom was the text:  "transferring data from pixel.quantserve.com...." I let that run for about 15 minutes before I shut down the browser.

b) When I clicked on edit post in IE to do this, about 5 minutes after posting the long message (which btw hung-up for a good 10 minutes til I opened the thread in another window to find it had indeed posted), suddenly IE started opening a new window to edit my message, and it continued to open the same new window repeatedly (and apparently intended to do so endlessly) until I finally managed to get task manager running (difficult!) and manually close down IE. NOT a pleasant experience.  Hence I re-booted and started the full scan. (Honestly it was like the early 90s on the web when if you accidentally went to an "adult" site it kept opening endless new windows of garbage.)

Finally, I would like to add that while I will take the above suggestion (as my last ditch attempt) to test other posting sites/software, please note again that I HAVE NO OTHER OR SIMILAR ISSUES WITH ANY OTHER WEBSITES. That is, my only problem is RF, and I am a fairly heavy web-user at present, particularly on basketball boards.

Thanks again all.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/03/31 12:26:48 (permalink)
cecif, have you tried clearing your browser cache and cookies for Roadfood?

BTW, the code hasn't changed on the forums for a couple of months.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/03/31 12:31:24 (permalink)
OK, I am using Mac Safari web browser and there is one big difference in editing a message. I mentioned this before but it seems to be a bug with Firefox but not Safari. 

In Firefox, if I click in the edit box to place the cursor blinker and then click anywhere outside the edit box like scrolling, looking at another window, etc., I can no longer type in the edit box even though he cursor blinker is there and blinking. In order to type in the edit box again I have to first mouse click inside the edit box. With Safari, as long as the cursor blinker shows in the edit box I can continue to type.
cecif
Stephen. see point #1 of my post on Tue, 03/31/09 9:17 AM 2009/03/31 17:36:04 (permalink)

cecif
davy dd. i have no blinking cursor anywhere, whether i click or don't click or wait 2009/03/31 17:37:37 (permalink)

cecif
i tested and it worked on other site - see next message for URL to see my post 2009/03/31 17:54:55 (permalink)

cecif
http://www.aspplayground.net/v3/tm.aspx?high=&m=5&mpage=1#39 - to see successful post! 2009/03/31 17:55:38 (permalink)

cecif
Re:LOL! Yup, I was just trickin' you Al. (Sadly, not.) 2009/03/31 18:00:37 (permalink)
Davydd
If you are having problems on this forum try going to ASPPlayground.net you can click on at the bottom of the page to go to. There they have sample forums you can test in. If you don't have the same problems there then there might be something wrong here in Roadfood.com. If you have the same problem then I suspect it might be something to do with your computer.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.8 on a Mac and have no problems.

I logged into IE just to post this. This really will be my last  penultimate post on the issue.

Per Davydd's suggestion above, I went to the software provider for our forums and test-posted using their forums. It worked fine on Firefox with no issues whatsoever.

If you look asap my post might still be there:
http://www.aspplayground.net/v3/tm.aspx?high=&m=5&mpage=1#39

I put a note to the admins to save it please.

I conclude therefore that the issues I am having are on the Roadfood site and not my computer.

And if anyone would thoroughly read thru my attempts to correct the issues they will see I have tried not only every suggestion offered, but more.

Thanks again all for the time & help.
post edited by cecif - 2009/03/31 18:04:24
cecif
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/03/31 18:03:12 (permalink)
Davydd

OK, I am using Mac Safari web browser and there is one big difference in editing a message. I mentioned this before but it seems to be a bug with Firefox but not Safari. 

In Firefox, if I click in the edit box to place the cursor blinker and then click anywhere outside the edit box like scrolling, looking at another window, etc., I can no longer type in the edit box even though he cursor blinker is there and blinking. In order to type in the edit box again I have to first mouse click inside the edit box. With Safari, as long as the cursor blinker shows in the edit box I can continue to type.

Just to be clear from my subject line truncated post above, I actually have been letting the page finish loading, then looking for a blinking cursor (there are none) and then clicking in the message box, and ONLY in the message box. No luck. Can only click in the subject line.

Thanks again Davy DD for the suggestion about the test forums at ASP Playground.NET - that wa very helpful and made me feel vindicated, having had zero trouble posting there at all! (with Firefox)

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Post your bugs and issues here... 2009/04/01 00:05:07 (permalink)
Forgive me if you went over this...In firefox, if you click on tools, then click on options, then "main" tab, the "manage add ons" do you see "microsoft .net framework assistant" in the list of add ons?

I know some people hate anything microsoft and remove this, but it may be part of windows updates and reinstall itself over and over. If it IS present, try to disable and see if it makes a difference.

cecif
sorry tony. thanks but tried & no change. 2009/04/01 00:27:01 (permalink)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 19
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1