Postage goes up tomorrow

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8401
2012/01/22 16:44:40 (permalink)

Postage goes up tomorrow

It's going to cost you 45¢ to mail a first class letter tomorrow, January 23rd.

Why don't they just fire several of those people that just walk around behind the counter, seemingly doing nothing? 

Move in to buildings with only 2 - 3 windows because of the 10 they have, that's all that are being used.

Sell advertising that would be on the stamps???  This has been an idea of mine for probably 40 years.

12 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 17:11:34 (permalink)
    Recently I found some rolls of 28-cent and 37-cent stamps that I purchased years ago and apparently put into extreme safe-keeping.  I've been using 20-cent stamps with the 28s for awhile but now I think I'll pick up a roll of 8-cent stamps.

At least they're the self-adhesive kind so I don't have to lick them all.

Brad
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3653
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 17:32:01 (permalink)
    Instead of costing even more Americans jobs, why don't we all use the postal service more often instead of sending an email? Instead of paying our bills online? Instead of reading magazines online?

Just a thought.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 17:36:21 (permalink)
    All my bill payments are sent through the mail. 

I don't mind the keeping of the jobs if they were working.   It's extremely difficult to fire a postal employee.  When I had my shop our carrier was always high on something.  Many complained and she'd be gone for a short time.  Then she'd be back.  This happened over and over again.

I think her final days came when she became physical with someone on her route.
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 17:53:28 (permalink)
    felix4067

Instead of costing even more Americans jobs, why don't we all use the postal service more often instead of sending an email? Instead of paying our bills online? Instead of reading magazines online?

Just a thought.

Yeah, a bad one.  Using that logic why don't we just break all of our windows out so that we create jobs. 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 18:27:28 (permalink)
    Even better as a tax-money saver...Let the JW's and LDS Missionaries carry the mail as they wander the neighborhoods. It would give them a sense of purpose, and they tend to be more reliable as door-knockers than the Postal Service is !
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 18:33:53 (permalink)
    jman

felix4067

Just a thought.

Yeah, a bad one.  Using that logic why don't we just break all of our windows out so that we create jobs. 

I fail to understand the relation, but if it makes you feel better about yourself, then more power to you!
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 19:49:20 (permalink)
    felix4067

jman

felix4067

Just a thought.

I fail to understand the relation, but if it makes you feel better about yourself, then more power to you!

I think it's pretty obvious.  You want people to spend their money unnecessarily just to protect jobs of people who are over-compensated.  I can break out my windows and call the glazier to replace them so that he can have work.  Either idea is a non-starter. 

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 22:04:53 (permalink)
    mar52

Sell advertising that would be on the stamps???  This has been an idea of mine for probably 40 years.

I could see a "problem" with that.  If you drive a Ford, would you use stamps advertising a Chevy?  Or a Toyota?  If you like Walgreens, how about a stamp advertising CVS?  When it comes to advertising anything, many people have their favorite brands, and would refuse to use stamps advertising a competitor.  Would Roadfood people like stamps promoting McDonalds?  Or Pizza Hut?  It might be hard to find a company agreeable to most people that was also interested in buying stamp advertising.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 22:11:14 (permalink)
    Guess they could have both kinds... Dead presidents and Coke.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/22 22:25:16 (permalink)
    No Coke for me!  Only Pepsi Throwback.
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1195
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/23 11:15:12 (permalink)
    Here's a thought. The Postal Service receives no stipend from the federal government. It has, in the words of some, "over compensated" and "excessive" staff.

And yet, you can put 45 cents worth of lickable paper on an envelope and it will be delivered anywhere in this country in a reasonable amount of time. A private corporation would charge probably about five bucks for that.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Postage goes up tomorrow 2012/01/23 12:35:32 (permalink)
    jman

felix4067

jman

felix4067

Just a thought.

I think it's pretty obvious.  You want people to spend their money unnecessarily just to protect jobs of people who are over-compensated.  I can break out my windows and call the glazier to replace them so that he can have work.  Either idea is a non-starter. 

You could look at it that way, or you could look at it the way I do. People who complain the most about postage rates going up are usually the ones who use the postal service once in a blue moon. Which is why the rates keep going up (although compared to the rate everything else is going up, raising the cost of mailing a letter one whole penny is infinitesimal). The postal service cannot afford to not raise its rates. Neither can any other business. Do we complain this hard when FedEx and UPS raise their rates? They do it far more often than the postal service, and they do it by considerably more than one penny when they do. Postage rates have increased exactly 25 cents since 1981. What other product or service you use daily can say the same?

Most people throw away pennies, did you know that? Literally throw them in the garbage. Or, they sit in jars on dressers, and rarely do they actually get rolled and turned in. So why the angst about a postage stamp being raised a penny?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1