Potato Cakes

Author
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
2003/05/10 05:22:30 (permalink)

Potato Cakes

There used to be a small (5 stools) grill in Salem, Va. called Ernie's. He had with out a doubt the best potato cake. This was not your left over mashed potatoes, or shredded raw potatoes. Nope, Ernie used baked Idahos that he allowed to cool completly, then peeled and diced them, adding diced onion, butter flavored oil, salt pepper, some msg, pancake mix, and water. Then he grilled them in a little butter. They were the size of a CD and deelish. Ernie's is gone now, but the memory lingers.

8 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/02/06 16:06:45 (permalink)
    Thought I might resurrect this old post in case it inspires someone to try this method of making potato pancakes/latkes. They are the same thing, aren't they? I don't know why already baked potatoes would be better than raw ones, but maybe there is something to it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18627
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/02/06 16:38:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Thought I might resurrect this old post in case it inspires someone to try this method of making potato pancakes/latkes. They are the same thing, aren't they? I don't know why already baked potatoes would be better than raw ones, but maybe there is something to it.

I don't imagine that the potato cakes described include matzoh meal, as potato latkes do.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/02/08 00:54:38 (permalink)
    My mother used to make potato cakes a good bit when I was young (I havent had them in about 20 years), but I didnt really care for them then. I bet that they would be delicious now though as my taste has matured.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 709
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/02/10 11:33:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdm813

There used to be a small (5 stools) grill in Salem, Va. called Ernie's. He had with out a doubt the best potato cake. This was not your left over mashed potatoes, or shredded raw potatoes. Nope, Ernie used baked Idahos that he allowed to cool completly, then peeled and diced them, adding diced onion, butter flavored oil, salt pepper, some msg, pancake mix, and water. Then he grilled them in a little butter. They were the size of a CD and deelish. Ernie's is gone now, but the memory lingers.

My Grandparent's were of German Decent, My Gramdmother made potato pancakes that were awesome!

She shredded raw potatos, then mixed them with finely diced onions, a little flour, eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper.She then put the whole mixture in a 10 x 13 pand and bake it!

Oh, My god, were they good. My Grandfather had a German name for them that started with the letter "d", but I can't remember the name of them. My Grandmother died in 1977, but she was sick for a few years before that, so that means I haven't eaten them in over 30 years! Thanks for the memories.
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/02/27 22:54:13 (permalink)
    The Four star restauraunt right across the street from me has homemade potato pancakes. They are very good just like they should be. Definatly not something pre made in a box.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13521
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/02/28 15:46:47 (permalink)
    Mamaw Smith who lives next door makes potato cakes from here left over mashed potatoes. Her mashed potatoes are the real thing with creme cheese, sour creem, real butter, salt, pepper and boiled potatoes. With the left overs, she adds flour, onions and some of her East Tennessee spices and fries these morsels in Canola.

They are really good and I have to be extremely careful that I do not overdose.

I have Mello Joy coffee with Mamaw every morning that I am in town at 5:30AM and read the paper with my 82 year old mother. These potato cakes with hot coffee really start the morning off right.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bogeyman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/03/22 14:43:01 (permalink)
    Paul,
    Am so jealous. My mothers gone so it's been 30 yrs since i've had hers. They were great. I've played around & come close but not the same. Still they are pretty good.
    Mike
    dctourist
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 325
    RE: Potato Cakes 2005/03/23 14:49:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fdm813

Interesting. I discovered as a kid that baked potatoes made the best homefries - sweet, greaseless, and crispy - but I always just fried them in largeish chunks. I always bake extra just for this purpose. Fry them in not too much oil in a cast-iron skillet, pour out the excess oil, then scramble some eggs while the pan is still hot. The eggs cook very quickly - gotta move fast - and end up with a little charcoal flavor from the burnt potato. Add a little salt and lots of ketchup
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1