Potato Salad in New Jersey

Author
fattybomatty
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
2008/04/15 15:19:21 (permalink)

Potato Salad in New Jersey

Can't have a BBQ without potato salad. Nanny's Kitchen in North Plainfield, NJ (Dante's plaza rt 22 east) has the best potato salad I've ever had. I hate the store bought vinegary-sweet kind. Her's is homemade every day just like grandma would make it. The rest of the food there is good as well, but since it is not a BBQ joint I figured I'd put down what goes best with a bbq.

If you want something with bbq sauce on it create a little piggy (her version of the new brunswick style fat cat). One I like is a burger on a portuguese roll topped with pepperjack cheese, chicken fingers, onion rings, pickles, and bbq sauce. Have that with a side of the potato salad or hell throw the potato salad on the sandwich. However you want it

7 Replies Related Threads

divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 15:34:28 (permalink)
    If they have no BBQ maybe this should go in the Side Dishes forum.

Let me get this straight...the burger is topped with chicken fingers? Thin ones?
    fattybomatty
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 16:23:29 (permalink)
    Ah I'll post this there too. Basically the place has these sandwiches that you have your choice of a burger, chicken fingers, or cheesesteak (or you can go a burger and chicken fingers, cheese steak and chicken fingers-good sized ones too) as the first layer (or like I said you could do two layers for an extra charge) Follow that up with a second layer (mozzarella sticks, fries, onion rings) then a third layer (pickles, onions, peppers, grilled onions, tomatoes, etc) and finally whatever condiments you want. Basically any combination you want on a sandwich you can get. This was made famous in new brunswick and are typically referred to as Fat (cat) sandwiches. At Nanny's Kitchen they are called Little Piggies. She has 3 standards on the menu and then gives you the option to create your own. Sometimes I'll do the one i listed above or go with a cheese steak topped with mozzarella sticks, fries, pepperoni, and topped off with sauce. Sorry about the wrong forum post. I didn't see the sides one. I'm new, but I'll go find it. thanks.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6313
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 16:24:54 (permalink)
    Now that everything sandwich sounds like a mouthful!!!!
    fattybomatty
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 16:28:56 (permalink)
    Trust me it is more of a stomach full. After you are done eating it you feel like you just ate a whole brick. The trick is finding the right combo that you'll enjoy.
    divefl
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 16:44:29 (permalink)
    Wow, sounds like those sandwiches should have a thread of their own. Sounds like it needs a multiday trip. Cheesesteak with mozz. sticks (good idea) and onion rings is the first thing that comes to my mind. Burger with cheesesteak, more onions, some cheddar...too many possibilities.
    divefl
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 16:52:07 (permalink)
    Score. I found a place in Philly with them. A little closer for me. Also called grease truck sandwiches. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_Trucks
    fattybomatty
    RE: Potato Salad in New Jersey 2008/04/15 16:55:42 (permalink)
    I'll start this is a new forum. Go Under sandwiches and Fat cats and watch how many places there are.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1