Potato pancakes in Cincinati

Author
stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
2005/05/04 18:11:49 (permalink)

Potato pancakes in Cincinati

My father told me that there is a chain of deli's in the Cincinati area that serves excellent potato pankcakes. Does this sound familiar to anybody? If so please post the name of this deli!

14 Replies Related Threads

Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/05 00:46:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stormycat

My father told me that there is a chain of deli's in the Cincinati area that serves excellent potato pankcakes. Does this sound familiar to anybody? If so please post the name of this deli!

That would be Izzy's. They've scaled back the chain operations in the past few years, but I've noticed that the Anderson Hills area is about to get a new store. It's just across Beechmont Avenue from the old Beechmont Mall. They hadn't opened when I was up there two weeks ago, but I wouldn't think it will be long. Failing that, there's always the downtown location for lunch.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/10 02:26:37 (permalink)
    I stopped by the Anderson Hills location-to-be while on my White Castle lunch run. Still not open, but they look to be very close. From the looks of things, only an inspection is keeping them from slinging Reubens and potato pancakes to the masses.
    Man, are we looking forward to this.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/10 08:37:04 (permalink)
    I'm glad you mentioned Izzy's. I never went to one and not even sure where they are located in Cincy. Aren't they also known for Corned Beef sandwiches?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/10 08:54:18 (permalink)
    Yes, they are well known for Corned Beef, but I'll be honest - I have been underwhelmed everytime I have tried one there. It's also very pricey for what you get.

The pancakes are quite good.

I think the expansion of the company has diluted the quality at the individual locations a lot.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/10 23:25:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Yes, they are well known for Corned Beef, but I'll be honest - I have been underwhelmed everytime I have tried one there. It's also very pricey for what you get.

The pancakes are quite good.

I think the expansion of the company has diluted the quality at the individual locations a lot.

I think that was the case in the late 80's/early 90's when they really went crazy with the expansion, but from what I've been told of late, things are back on track. I haven't eaten in one since my 14 year old was very young, but my parents take the kids there whenever they get the chance. I'm not even sure they have other locations outside of downtown, at least not until the A.T. location opens. (I'll have to look that up tonight.) Whatever the case, I'm glad to see another option on the local menu. Anything to break up the same old.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/11 08:45:52 (permalink)
    7 locations, of which only 2 are downtown

http://www.izzys.com/locations.htm

There was one a few years back at the corner of Dana and Montgomery in Norwood, bu it has been closed for quite some time.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/11 23:30:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

7 locations, of which only 2 are downtown

http://www.izzys.com/locations.htm

There was one a few years back at the corner of Dana and Montgomery in Norwood, bu it has been closed for quite some time.

Thanks for the link. I guess the reason I thought they were back to downtown only is that I never go to any of the other places. (Well, Covington, but that's almost downtown Cincinnati at lunchtime anymore.) I remember the store in Norwood. It was right near the BASF plant that launched itself. I think they were going for a college crowd, but it was a little out of the way to be a X hangout.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/12 08:58:19 (permalink)
    hehe, I was sleeping (unemployed at the time) about a mile away (more or less across the street fro the UDF plant) when the BASF plant exploded.

I hit my head on the ceiling because of how violently I jumped when I awoke to the loudest sound I have ever heard.

Anyway, back to topic.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/15 05:50:32 (permalink)
    I love Izzy's they have the 2nd best corned beef I've ever had. The first is a little place in downtown Cleveland whose name I can't remember. As to Izzy's I prefer the main location downtown, near the Federal building. They have a decent salad bar there. I usually get a whole Reuben and the salad bar and take half the Reuben with me for later. The pastrami is pretty good there too.

Gosh, I can't wait for July and another trip back there.

MikeS.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18661
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/15 14:53:21 (permalink)
    I ate at Izzy's once back in the mid '70s and I was less than impressed.The Associated Press correspondent in Cincinnati at the time, Andy Lippman, had been telling me for a year or so how great Izzy's was. When I was in town for an assignment he took me there. I attributed his feelings about this place to the fact that he was from somehwere in the South and hadn't been exposed to good delicatessens.
    stahltkd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/05/15 16:20:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeSh

I love Izzy's they have the 2nd best corned beef I've ever had. The first is a little place in downtown Cleveland whose name I can't remember. As to Izzy's I prefer the main location downtown, near the Federal building. They have a decent salad bar there. I usually get a whole Reuben and the salad bar and take half the Reuben with me for later. The pastrami is pretty good there too.

Gosh, I can't wait for July and another trip back there.

MikeS.

If it's the one I'm thinking of ... Slyman's great place tons of corned beef on their sandwich. If I remember correctly, its located near E. 30th and ... Another place to try which is in a burb of cleveland in Beachwood, called Corky and Lennys a little jewish deli.. Chagrin Road.
    ericm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/06/06 22:14:51 (permalink)
    I think Izzy's is good, the corned beef is not bad, but "2nd best" is a little suprising. I would suggest you swing by Bilker's the next time you are in Blue Ash (right up the road from Blue Ash Chili on the other side of the street). The potato cakes at Izzy's are excellent, though. Personally, I prefer the Izzy Burger (interesting taste and nice and thick).
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/06/07 00:11:55 (permalink)
    We ate at the Beechmont Izzy's last Wednesday. Very good food and service and it didn't break the bank. It's fairly rare when all four of us vote unanimously to make a place a regular stop. I had the Reubenator, which was a double deck Reuben, and a potato pancake. When we return, I plan to have a regular Reuben, potato pancake and a bowl of beef barley soup. The guy one table over had some and it looked great.
    stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Potato pancakes in Cincinati 2005/06/14 14:17:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guy's. My father will be overjoyed! He has been driving himself crazy trying to remember.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1