Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7906
2011/10/04 18:40:19 (permalink)

Pots and pans

Do you have a set or random pieces?

Are brand names important to you?

Are some better than others?

Which pieces are important?

Do you have a cast iron dutch oven such as Le Creuset?

Me?  I've gone through a few sets and now have mostly random pieces.

Began with Farberware that I gave away when almost 30 years ago I thought I needed Navy Blue Chantel pots and pans when I saw them at Costco.  They matched my kitchen!  They also caused everything to stick and I hated them.

When a friend's parents' house burned down I gave them to them.  They were like brand new because I immediately bought a few random pieces of non-stick skillets and I already had a couple Le Creuset dutch ovens.

Now I have one All Clad 12 inch skillet because I had to use a gift certificate... on something.  I rarely use it because I prefer using the non-stick.

A friend gave me a set of Royal Prestige pots and pans that I think are a gimic.  Afterall,  I saw them for sale at the fair!

They're nice but probably too expensive for what they are.

I still want an egg/omelet pan like PNWCHEF uses.  If it's good enough for a chef...

11 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3503
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/04 20:37:14 (permalink)
    I've got the set of stainless steel pots and pans my parents were given as a wedding present (it's some ridiculous number of pieces...six sizes of saucepan, three sizes of skillets, Dutch oven, double boiler, lids, etc.). Also several pieces of cast iron which are so old they don't have a brand name. All of my cast iron is skillets, though...my only Dutch oven is part of the stainless steel set.

Brand names are not important to me mainly because I don't own a pan newer than the mid-1950's. I wouldn't know a modern brand name if you handed it to me.
    post edited by felix4067 - 2011/10/04 20:38:18
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/04 21:02:58 (permalink)
    For the first part of my life, I've lived in cramped quarters such as a garage apartment with my kids, we had to keep cookware to nestable dimensions. During those years, most of my cookware was my grandmother's partial set of Wearever Inner Clad Plus. I was given almost a  duplicate set of pieces made in the 60's. I still use those as my primaries. My current house kitchen is pretty small, but I have adequate storage and gave up on overhead racks. Nobody else but me goes into the kitchen, so I really don't have any showpans and the overall decor is stainless.  I've had bad experiences with brandware such as Calphalon non-stick that despite gentle handling, they didn't last two years. My main choice now is commerical cookware. I have a heavy set of stainless pots and skillets by Regal that's built heavy like All-Clad, my non-stick is all Lincoln as well as a duplicate of uncoated aluminum for searing. Enamled dutch ovens are both 3L & 6L Tramotinas and I also have a 6" enamled Lodge that's wider/shallow and very similar to a spanish caldo that it replaced. For uncoated cast iron, I still have the Wagner 12" chicken fryer that I got with trading stamps in the 70's and a lodge 10" and 7" that my dad found on a salvaged boat around the same time. I don't have any stock pots, but use the bases of my stainless pressure cookers with regular lids. The largest being 10L and probably the biggest that I need and have the 6L and 8L for smaller pot cooking. I do have two pieces of All Clad. One is a .5L gravy warmer that rounds out the bottom of my stainless pots and a Lasange pan that I use as a small roaster.  For an egg pan, I usually use the 5" Lincoln non-stick or the larger 7" as an omlette pan that's ideal. All of these commercial pans have lasted and lasted like no other non-stick. No peeling or warping of the uncoated ones that I've used on full heat. Best part is that any of them can be placed in the oven for finishing. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5083
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 08:32:45 (permalink)
    Mostly a hodgepodge of collected pieces but we do have a couple of matching nonstick pots and pans left from a set that one of Kathy's grandmothers received as a premium for opening a bank account back in the '60s or '70s.

A couple of years ago some friends remodeled their kitchen and switched to an induction cooktop, which meant they had a bunch of pans - including some copper Revereware - that were no longer useful.  But did I get a call or an email asking if I might be interested?  Noooooo...
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 09:02:55 (permalink)
    My advise, learn to cook with stainless, the OP said they have a set of allclad, one of the better brands because they have even heat distribution and NO plastic or rubber handles, but way over priced.  I've taught both my son and daughter to use good stainless and the results you get are way above what you get with any non stick.  I have one non stick and thats my large omelet pan that is used for nothing else but omelets.  Then theres cast iron, my all time favorite is one that been in our family for over 50 years, its thin and has a smooth surface.  The lodge brand is crap cast iron, as it has a very rough finish and does not keep a good smooth seasoned surface.  I've taken the lodge pans that I have and had them re-ground so they are smooth, much easier to keep a good seasoned surface.   Then there's woks, a good thin black steel with wooden handle, taken care of...no cleaning just deglaze is a must.
    My favorite supplier is one that is probably not heard of much in the states, but I could be wrong, the have good products at very reasonable prices, at least for me here:
    http://www.pujadas.es/en/productes/index.htm

I use only La Creusette for dutch ovens, but I'm now very careful  with them, had one of my biggest stolen from a party a few years back so I never let them leave my kitchen.

So thats my 2 cents
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1013
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 14:06:26 (permalink)
    All I have of my own is an anodized aluminum skillet (small metal handles so I can use it in the oven), and an antique enameled Dutch oven that belonged to my great aunt, that my mother had for roughly 30 years before I got it. Don't know the brand, just says "Made In Holland" on the bottom. The rest is an assortment of pots and pans that belong to my roommate.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7906
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 14:17:57 (permalink)
    I also have a couple cast iron skillets.  One I believe is a Wagner that I bought at a garage sale.

I also use Miracle Maid, cast aluminum "waterless" pots and pans made in the '50s.  The covered roaster is almost a work of art.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8365
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 15:06:47 (permalink)
    I have an eclectic mix-Mom's copper bottomed fry pan and  2 quart, my pans( no name) and others.Food is excellent either way.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6835
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 15:35:41 (permalink)
    All copper and Le Creuset plus cast iron, of course.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/05 16:25:40 (permalink)
    I am like Ann

Revere Ware copper bottomed (I use the sauce pans the most)
    Various Lodge cast iron (nice size range on the frying pans and dutchies)
    Some all copper (stock pot and frying pan)
    and I forget the name of my frying pan (when not using the cast iron)

then some stone ware stock pots for smaller big things
    and

Vollrath 60 qt stainless steel stock pot for other things
    BearHit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/07 09:49:55 (permalink)
    We have the Lodge Cast Iron - but the ScanPan pieces get the most use... easy to clean with the stainless brillo pads - nothing sticks to them
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10266
    Re:Pots and pans 2011/10/07 10:57:26 (permalink)
    I have a set of Copper bottom Revere Ware Stainless Steel Pots that we got at our wedding in 1958! They've held up just fine. Also have a 5 qt aluminum Dutch Oven and a round cast iron pancake griddle that was my Mother's. Don't know how old they are. 2 Griswold Cast Iron frying pans plus an assortment of no name frying plans, pots and other stuff. Just bought 2 god quality Teflon coated omelet pans from a restaurant supply store.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1