Pray for our service people

Author
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
2006/07/29 19:12:04 (permalink)

Pray for our service people

I would ask everyone to say a quite prayer for our service people overseas at every chance you get.

13 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/07/29 20:09:55 (permalink)
    Our Stryker team from 172nd in Fort Wainright has been gone for one year. They just got the notice they have to do 120 more days. This unit alone has deployed 3,500 troops. We also have the Kulis ANG, Army NG, Elmendorf AFB, Eilson AFB and Fort Richardson, making this the largest deployment of troops since WWII.
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/07/30 01:05:01 (permalink)
    Everyday. I have cousins involved and my neighbor is going in Sept. I'm grateful to them but scared for them at the same time. Seems worry has been a constant thing the last couple of years. Prayers help lift that.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/07/30 06:53:51 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    The military life is hard and stressful on the soldier and family during times of war or peace.
    There are sacrifices, besides putting one's life on the line, that we, civilians, have no concept of that
    military people and their families make.
    So I will follow V960's request and say many prayers.
    In addition, I will be praying that some peace and wisdom enter our warring world so that the military
    becomes less necessary.
    I must admit I am a liberal and a pacifist, but also a realist.
    It would be so easy to say something snotty about Bush and all the chaos that seems to be taking over
    the world these days, but that would not only be stupid, it would not be constructive.
    There's some real nasty things going on now, and our children in the military are having to deal with it.
    I, also, pray for the people who we are fighting and for the civilians who are caught in between. War
    is a no win state of being. May there be some peace and wisdom in our future and children's future.
    Don't mean to preach.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/07/30 17:14:44 (permalink)
    Fieldthistle,
    Very good points. Actually most career or serious military folks are also pacifist and peaceful. They've generally seen the bad part of war, young men torn apart (I come from the old school when women weren't allowed in combat). Officers and senior NCO's in particular are some of the most anti-war people on this planet.

I have tears running down my face as I type this, a brown water chief in the CG pulled my drowning butt out of a river and caught two rounds in the chest. They should have left me where I was. Biggest black guy I have ever seen and they gave him the Silver Star (he should have gotten the Navy Cross) for pulling some dumb **** out of the drink.

Pray for them...their duty is as tough a Vietnam, drier but just as hot. Also not as many hookers...I try to make the joke.

They are there because they were ordered there. Our military doesn't send them enough sunscreen, sunglasses or believe it or not tweezers. Send things to our troops. They are over there because they asked for it.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/07/31 22:34:46 (permalink)
    I had a friend come back intact from Iraq, for which I was eternally grateful.
    I always think about our guys over there, and now it looks like we may be sending more... but Not to Iraq, though.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/01 07:18:52 (permalink)
    Just remember folks, there are people out there who want to kill us and our way of life - they brought it on us - and the military is standing between them and us. Better to do the job over there rather on our shores. We owe the military alot.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/01 07:22:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

Just remember folks, there are people out there who want to kill us and our way of life - they brought it on us - and the military is standing between them and us. Better to do the job over there rather on our shores. We owe the military alot.

Oneiron: Double and triple AMEN!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/02 07:57:45 (permalink)
    Old Teddy Roosevelt ahd the right idea, "Walk softly but carry a Big Stick" Chow Jim
    Fieldthistle
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/02 11:38:23 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I truly do love all you people, and respect your opinions.
    From the Revolutionary War to the current actions in Iraq, there
    have been members of my family in every war the U.S. has
    been involved in, (even in the War of 1812) wait, no one in the
    Spanish-American War. I say this only to show I am not from a
    nutty anti-military heritage, but rather honour the sacrifice of
    those who serve. And I agree with V960 that most career military
    folks want to avoid war and abhor it.
    We live in a world that is different from when soldiers faced each
    other across a field to battle.
    With our status in the world, we simply can't walk softly. Our presence
    doesn't allow us to be quiet, nor do our businesses and politicians wish us
    to. And our big stick doesn't work with a civilian population that seeks
    to return to a normal life. A big stick doesn't provide electricity, water,
    education, and a future that the conquerored or freed may choose.
    And it is not fair to the military to saddle them with such a task. The military
    has the purpose to defend our country. I have been also told by military people
    that their task is to win a war. And they do it well, but we should be wise in
    what wars to wage and not expect them to run and police the government and land of foreign peoples.
    And while it is so naive, stupid or whatever adjective you wish to use, I feel it is not true, and if it is true, I am ashamed of the idea of pushing chaos and death on other shores rather than coming up
    with another way of dealing with people who differ with us. It doesn't always have to end in war.
    And if others want war, we have a military that can handle that. But don't we teach our children
    it's best to work things out rather than fighting. Think about it...if you had 5 kids and 3 of them
    was against the other 2, would you tell them to fight it out. Or would you ask them to talk it out,
    to reason it out. To find a solution that didn't involve murder or hurting each other.
    I know...I'm naive or whatever worse words you think of.
    There is way to choose...life or death. Human history has so often chose death, and then in desperation
    rushed back to the way of life. What if we insisted on the way of life first? We can't do it alone.
    We need allies. We need to have our hands free, to either pick up a plowshare if need be, or a sword if
    need be.
    I love our country. We have suffered bereavement, but we have caused beravement. I fear our worst sin
    is narcissism. If we can acknowledge this, maybe then we can learn compassion, not only for our friends, but our enemies. To teach a new way, we must learn a new way rather repeat lessons that lead to more wars, destruction, and the way of death.
    It has become natural for us to love our country; it's a challenge for us to love the world. And folks, I'm not talking some gushy, weak meaning when I say, Love.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/02 12:37:09 (permalink)
    My 18 year old grandson is in Army Basic Training right now. A friend told me about an organization that sends Care-type packages of wanted items to those servicemen and servicewomen who are deployed overseas. It's called Operation Gratitude. Here's the URL:

http://www.opgratitude.com/
    Fieldthistle
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/02 13:35:51 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Michael, thank you for the URL.
    You've given us a place to express our support and love.
    You have a grandson? I thought you were a teen-ager.
    Honesty, let your grandson know his service is appreciated.
    Many serve in different ways, but it does take a special
    person to serve in the military. It's not an easy life.
    Please, thank him for us.
    And thank you. I am sure that you had a good influence
    in his life that has brought him to serve his country, to
    serve us.
    I hope we don't let him down. I hope we elect people who won't let him down.
    I've said too much... Michael said it all in the URL
    http://www.opgratitude.com/
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/02 15:05:07 (permalink)
    Fieldthistle and all others,
    To reason out problems would be best, but you can only reason with reasonable people. A group that is dedicated to the eradication of all that are not like them (in this case, the radical Muslims)is not possible to reason with.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pray for our service people 2006/08/02 17:07:51 (permalink)
    Fifty years of appeasement haven't worked, several hundred UN resolutions haven't worked, Israel has ceded almost all of the teritory demanded of them and that hasn't worked. Muslim extremists have made it their cause to eliminate Israel and us "infidels." And nearly ALL the Muslim heirarchy has yet to denounce them. Nearly ALL shooting wars currently in effect in the world now involve the "religion of peace." The only solution is to do away with those who have declared this upon us and Israel. I say let's take it to them there rather than here. Remember 9-11!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1