Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?.....

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jayla
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
2005/04/09 19:45:59 (permalink)

Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?.....

What are your opinions on Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? (sometimes sold in Refrigerated Vending Machines or in stores like Walgreen's and Rite Aid, and in many Gas Station Convinience Stores).... In your experiences have they been good or bad ?....Post your thoughts

37 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 20:30:42 (permalink)
    Bad.
    TIPPY LEE
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 20:36:08 (permalink)
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 21:25:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Bad.

But GREAT snacks for dog in back seat!!!!!
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 21:46:49 (permalink)
    Check out the selection at Seven Eleven. They are made in a commisary and deliveied each morning. They use a very good quality meat and bread. They are as good as making one at home and bringing it to work and keeping it in the frig for lunch.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 22:16:07 (permalink)
    What would make you think that stuff being sold in refrigerated vending machines -- or the other places you mention -- would be good? I remember hearing a long time ago that there are things that one expects from a dining experience -- speed, quality and price. Two out of three can happen -- all three -- unlikely.

Before anyone starts flaming away, I know that there are some fine gas station eating establishments -- I don't think that (BBQ in KC, for example) is what's being discussed here.

Steve
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 23:35:17 (permalink)
    Personally I find them nasty... Our local 7-Eleven used to have a deli counter where everything was made fresh.. But them days are long gone.. That packaged stuff I find in gas stations and convience stores makes me want to gag.. But then there are times I'm in a rush, hungry, and will stoop to them.. Then I always end up tossing half of it away...
    Jayla
    Hamburger
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/09 23:37:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markolenski

Check out the selection at Seven Eleven. They are made in a commisary and deliveied each morning. They use a very good quality meat and bread. They are as good as making one at home and bringing it to work and keeping it in the frig for lunch.
    Yeah I also heard from a friend that the ones sold at Seven Eleven (7-11) taste good !!! That's why I was asking to know other people's opinions on Pre-Packaged Sandwiches...My friend said that they're just like regular Homemade sandwiches except you have to add your own condiments since they usually come plain (no condiments...
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 01:43:59 (permalink)
    The smoked salmon sandwich I had a few months ago at Pret A Manger in London was so good (wish I had had 2) that I am looking forward to my next trip to NYC to give them a try there. www.pret-a-manger.com
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 04:15:46 (permalink)
    I've had good ones and bad ones.... we have a local vendor who makes his own sandwiches for our work.. and the egg salad with bacon is pretty tasty!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 05:48:28 (permalink)
    Awful.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 08:40:22 (permalink)
    7 Eleven has a nice selection these days. They carry three lines of sandwiches. I stop before work everyday. You'd be surprised what they carry there. Basil Chicken Salad sandwich, good. The Deli Express brand junk found in most gas stations is rancid. 7 Eleven's sandwiches are made locally by a plant close to your area and are dated and are always fresh, just check the date. And yes, as you all know, 7 Eleven is a chain...blah, blah.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 09:49:08 (permalink)
    Yack the prepackaged sandwiches remind me of sandwiches you get on an airline! Invariably they're too doughy, too salty, have cheap cheese and limp veggies, if any at all! I can wait 'til I get home or just buy a bag of chips! I think the vending machine ones are the worst, and are quite scary to look at --- tuna fish, pimento cheese, baloney, etc. etc. all on an anemic looking piece of white bread.

Andrea
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 12:51:43 (permalink)
    We have a chain around Chicago called White Hen, similair to 7-11, some but not all are open 24/7. They have a deli counter and make the sandwiches, some in the case are made ahead by a few hours but they will custom make sandwiches as well. They usually have soups, fruit, drinks, all kinds of easy pick up things for lunch. The sandwiches that I have had from White Hen have been pretty good though since they are franchised, some are better than others.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 13:21:16 (permalink)
    It is my opinion that any premade sandwich that is covered in plastic and allowed to age in a refrigerator could not possibly be as tasty as a freshly made sandwich. That aside, there have been times that I have made a stop, I was hungry and bought one. They were never great but there served the purpose at that time. I suppose that everything has its place and time. I have bought several over the years including tuna, egg salad, ham and cheese and all were nothing more than mediocre. Regardless, they served their purpose at the time.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 14:25:45 (permalink)
    I will admit that I have never been starving enough to try one.

They just look too unappetizing and it is rare that there isn't someplace else nearby where I could get fresh food. I would even go to Micky D's before I would get a sandwich from a vending machine or 7-11.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 15:20:19 (permalink)
    Years ago, while working as a sanitarian/deputy sheriff in Orange, Texas, I used to buy a few dozen of those sandwiches -- day-olds -- from the maker at a penny apiece. I'd take them home and toss them in the freezer to take to the drive-in movie. They were better than the stuff they sold at the drive-in's snack bar.

As an aside, the sandwich-maker's biggest customer for day-olds was a pig farmer who'd fill his pickup with them.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 15:45:49 (permalink)

THEY SHOULD BE ILLEGAL! THERE IS THERE IS NO PLANT NEAROUR AREA MAKING SANDWICHS FOR 7 - 11, THEY ARE SHIPPED IN FROM GOD KNOWS WHERE. DELI EXPRESS IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING!

The Lady (Sometimes)
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 16:07:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Bad.

But GREAT snacks for dog in back seat!!!!!
    That about says it all huh!! Somewhere in the deep dark subterrainian basement of the roadfood heirarcy is prepackaged vending machine sandwichs. I have never been so hungry that I was tempted to even try one, there generally being a real junk food machine close by to hold me over until a more palatable option is available. 7-11's are scarce in N.Fl but I did fimd the ones in Miami had sausage and cheese biskuts made fresh daily
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 16:29:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Years ago, while working as a sanitarian/deputy sheriff in Orange, Texas, I used to buy a few dozen of those sandwiches -- day-olds -- from the maker at a penny apiece. I'd take them home and toss them in the freezer to take to the drive-in movie. They were better than the stuff they sold at the drive-in's snack bar.

Drive-in food was hideous. I loved the drive-in movies but the snack bars..........NO! Even as teenagers with iron stomachs we hit the fast food places and the conveniece stores on the way and packed in our own food. I remember the glowing orange bulb of the snack bar and the dried out burgers accompanied by stale buns and the either soggy or stale french fries! A soft drink was probably the safest thing to get at the drive-in movie snack bar.

Andrea
    twodales
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 17:39:36 (permalink)
    Good if you're in England. (Boots, Marks & Spencers or Pret A Manger.) Bad if you're in America, in my experience. (Remember Stuckeys pre-packs?) Actually, there are some Prets in New York and Hong Kong too. I highly recommend them. Be sure to check out their full menu under the "Our Food" title. Good stuff.

http://www.pret-a-manger.com/
    Jayla
    Hamburger
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 19:04:51 (permalink)
    Well, Today after Church My Mom asked me what I wanted for Lunch and I decided to take my chances on trying a Pre-Packaged Sandwich so she drove to the 7-11 and I got one it was Honey Roasted Turkey and American Cheese (not the White kind) on Wheat Bread (this bread was actually very tasty and fresh)...and Well, to my surprise this sandwich was actually good It was fresh and tasty...Of course I added my own condiment(I added a lil mustard) with a can of My Favorite Soda (Sprite: Obey Your Thirst ) it was a relatively good lunch ...Well, anyways that's just MY personal opinion...keep in mind that not all of these sandwiches will taste the same... and everyone has different taste as well...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 20:51:48 (permalink)
    I would not eat a pre-packaged sandwich from a 7-11 or any other convenience store even if someone was holding a gun to my head. No way.
    I never ate bakery bread, bakery desserts or bakery cookies until I was in college because my Mother made it all at home!
    Good God, if you can't make a decent sandwich at home.......you need some serious help.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/10 23:12:05 (permalink)
    I think it's more conveniance than ability to make at home... The local Publix grocery stores premake a variaty of sandwichs each morning and have them in the deli case, it's much better than fast food and almost as conveniant. You can grab a sandwich, a pint of fruit salad, chips or what not and a 1/2 gallon of sweet tea and be through the express line before the drive thru line moves..not to mention its easier to navigate a groceries parking lot with a big truck
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/11 02:47:11 (permalink)
    I'm sorry but I could NOT be persuaded to buy a pre-made sandwich from a convenience store! Call me a Chef Snob! Sorry! It's so easy to make a fantastic sandwich in my kitchen out of ingredients that I know were not handled by some rookie.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/11 04:12:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

I would not eat a pre-packaged sandwich from a 7-11 or any other convenience store even if someone was holding a gun to my head. No way.
    I never ate bakery bread, bakery desserts or bakery cookies until I was in college because my Mother made it all at home!
    Good God, if you can't make a decent sandwich at home.......you need some serious help.
    No offense, but you win the prize for "most boring food snob ever".
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/11 08:16:15 (permalink)
    I agree with the sentiments behind all of the negative posts. Refrigeration does bad things to bread. But sometimes you're away from home and you're hungry and a convenience store is all that's around or all that's open. And a pre-packaged sandwich is often the best thing, or the healthiest thing they have (or both). Any port in a storm.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/11 11:17:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

No offense, but you win the prize for "most boring food snob ever".

Thank you!
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/11 11:29:41 (permalink)
    The Seven Elevens with quaility sandwichs are called Big Eat's not deli express
    http://www.7-eleven.com/products/product_detail.asp?catalog%5Fname=7ElevenNew&category%5Fname=Foods+To+Go&subcategory%5Fname=Fresh+Foods&product%5Fid=00027&thumb=1

Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Pre-Packaged Sandwiches ? Good or Bad?..... 2005/04/11 12:02:53 (permalink)
    I don't know anything about the quality of Seven Eleven sandwiches, but I know my 7-11 stock is up 40% for the past year so somebody must be eating them.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1