Pre-cooking potatoes

Author
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 993
2013/04/01 14:06:22 (permalink)

Pre-cooking potatoes

We're doing a pot luck breakfast at work this week, and one of the things I'm going to be making are home fries. When I make them at home, I par-boil the potatoes, then put them directly into the frying pan. I won't have the time or inclination at the office to par-boil 5 pounds of potatoes and then immediately fry them up (we have a stove/oven in our kitchen), so I'm thinking of doing it at home the night before, and just frying smaller portions as they get eaten up the next morning. Frying them from raw form will take too long in the morning, hence my desire to par-boil.
My quandary is, how am I going to keep the potatoes from falling apart or turning brown overnight? If I par-boil them, then cool them off quickly with cold water, do I leave them in the cold water all night, or will that make them fall apart? If I drain the water, will they turn brown in the fridge? If I just cut the potatoes up and soak them in cold water all night, will that soften them a little so I won't need to par-boil them?
It's probably a simple answer, I just don't know it, and again, don't have the time or inclination to experiment to find out which way is going to work best. Any input is appreciated!

13 Replies Related Threads

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/01 14:48:25 (permalink)
    SeamusD

We're doing a pot luck breakfast at work this week, and one of the things I'm going to be making are home fries. When I make them at home, I par-boil the potatoes, then put them directly into the frying pan. I won't have the time or inclination at the office to par-boil 5 pounds of potatoes and then immediately fry them up (we have a stove/oven in our kitchen), so I'm thinking of doing it at home the night before, and just frying smaller portions as they get eaten up the next morning. Frying them from raw form will take too long in the morning, hence my desire to par-boil.
    My quandary is, how am I going to keep the potatoes from falling apart or turning brown overnight? If I par-boil them, then cool them off quickly with cold water, do I leave them in the cold water all night, or will that make them fall apart? If I drain the water, will they turn brown in the fridge? If I just cut the potatoes up and soak them in cold water all night, will that soften them a little so I won't need to par-boil them?
    It's probably a simple answer, I just don't know it, and again, don't have the time or inclination to experiment to find out which way is going to work best. Any input is appreciated!

My aunt always saved left over boiled potatoes to fry, it IS simple. They won't turn brown. Just boil them to your desired level, drain, let cool, put in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. While they are still warm, as you know they do tend to fall apart, but after getting good and cold in the fridge, they are good to go, just be sure not to overcook them. 
    bigfatsquirrel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/01 15:14:57 (permalink)
    It's quite easy. When the potatoes are nearly done drain them, cool  them a bit and sprinkle some oil on them. Then refrigerate them. If slightly undercooked the next morning's frying will finish the job. They will be delicious and creamy inside when fried. If a bit undercooked they will not turn brown, as kevincad said, and will not fall apart.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/01 17:28:42 (permalink)
    Buy a couple of #10 cans of New Sliced Potatoes, no need to boil, drain them, add some onions and sausage, fry away!
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/01 22:19:51 (permalink)
    Ahhhhhhh.... canned potatoes! Sacrilege!...Sacrilege!

Seriously, I had the misfortune to attend a number of weddings at a reception hall that short cut the potato dish by roasting canned potatoes...they had all the texture and appeal of leathery turtle eggs..and they tasted like tin. I can't get that taste out of my head.
    post edited by Cosmos - 2013/04/01 22:23:09
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/02 05:54:08 (permalink)
    NO to canned potatoes!
    Kevin and bigfatsquirrel have it right. You dont necessarily have to under cook them-I save leftover boiled potatoes and use them for fried potatoes all the time. Never any complaints!
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/02 10:38:37 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm definitely in the anti-canned potato crowd... I have to work with these people I'm feeding them to!

Thanks for the tips!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/02 17:34:57 (permalink)
    Either you folks who don't like canned New potatoes have had unfortunate cooking experiences with them, or I don't know if we are talking about the same thing. Here our most popular side is Chubby's potatoes, a sliced New potato, from a can, fried on a Keating griddle along with Sage Sausage and sliced onions. Our Platters come with 2 sides and people frequently get 2 sides of the potatoes. We keep a comment book, there are dozens of comments, weekly, about how good the potatoes are.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/02 19:40:34 (permalink)
    Chewy-a bit different than cooking in an office for your co workers.Yours sound awesome.I am also sure he will not have the advantage of a griddle as we have in a professional setting.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/03 07:32:44 (permalink)
    I bake them let them cool or refrigerate them then dice or slice. Add some turmeric when cooking them to give them color. It will not add much taste but will create a great color...Russ
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/03 10:56:54 (permalink)
    No griddle, had to make them in a frying pan.
    Last night I cut up 3 pounds of regular white potatoes into good sized chunks, skins left on, par boiled them in water with salt, onion and garlic powder. Right when they started to get soft, I drained them, let them sit hot for a couple minutes, then rinsed them in cold water and put them back in the pot, covered the top with plastic wrap and the lid, and put them in the fridge for the night.
    Fried them in a hot pan with some olive oil and diced onion, and all three pounds were gone in a matter of minutes. They crusted up nicely, but were still soft and almost creamy in the middle.
    We had them with thick bacon, buttermilk pancakes, a couple different quiches, pierogies, and fresh fruit. The whole office smells like a good diner during the breakfast rush right now.
    Thanks for the good advice all!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/03 12:55:13 (permalink)
    So glad it all worked out!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10071
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/03 23:58:38 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Buy a couple of #10 cans of New Sliced Potatoes, no need to boil, drain them, add some onions and sausage, fry away!

NOTHING tastes worser than canned potatoes!!! IMHO
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5044
    Re:Pre-cooking potatoes 2013/04/04 00:42:51 (permalink)
    Cosmos

Ahhhhhhh.... canned potatoes! Sacrilege!...Sacrilege!

Seriously, I had the misfortune to attend a number of weddings at a reception hall that short cut the potato dish by roasting canned potatoes...they had all the texture and appeal of leathery turtle eggs..and they tasted like tin. I can't get that taste out of my head.

I haven't had any really good leathery turtle eggs in years." />
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1