Premium Beef From... Maine?

Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2006/01/09 18:24:27 (permalink)

Wolfe's Neck Farm is a beef producer from Freeport Maine. They sell themselves as "all natural" Among the Wolfe's Neck Farm items available at my local Hannaford market are frozen burgers, fresh hamburger, and steaks. I do wonder if this is truly premium beef or simply premium priced beef.

I do buy Wolfe's Neck Farm beef on occasion, but I do have concerns about it:

1. Idiot descriptions of the cattle having an ocean view. Not a selling point with me.

2. They work as a cooperative, many different farms contribute cattle to Wolfe's Neck Farm.
Well, there goes the ocean view...only some of the cattle have an ocean view, I guess.

3. All of the "benefits" of the naturally raised cattle are negated if you buy the fresh ground beef. After asking a butcher friend at Hannafords about this product he told me they do not have a dedicated grinder at the store for the Wolfe's Neck Farm hamburger. The result is that this premium beef goes through the same grinders as the ordinary beef. There goes the all natural claim.

4. Somehow Maine does not resonate with me as a cattle state. I can't remember that many cattle drives coming out of Maine.

5. A disturbing quote from the Wolfe's Neck Farm web site: "Our animals spend a minimum of 120 days on select rations to ensure consistent texture, taste, and finish" Select rations? Sounds like a feedlot where they fatten the cattle with grain which negates any grass fed health benefits and makes this special cattle the same as any other.

Has anyone tried this product? What do you think?

Wolfe's Neck Farm Website:
http://www.wolfesneckfarm.org

7 Replies Related Threads

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/09 19:29:26 (permalink)
    Hmmm, there is a Wolfes Neck Park close to me in Freeport-don't think I have heard of any cattle drives lately.., but I will check the local stores, pick some up and let you know.
    I think I will get it at Bow Street Market, as opposed to a grocery chain, though.
    But I will be in Hannafords later on tonight...And browse and see..
    Tara
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/10 10:50:27 (permalink)
    It looks to me like they are working hard, and doing a good job. The northeast imports a lot of beef, but a lot is homegrown too, especially in Maine and upstate New York. I see your point about the marketing being just a little too slick, though. By reading the whole site, it looks like that most of their product was not raised at Wolfe Piont Farm, but someplace else in Maine under a production agreement. As I recall, Poland Spring had to pay a settlement a few years back for "misleading" ads that did not CLEARLY state the source of their water. I would buy Wolfe Point beef if they started selling it at my store and it was priced at about the same as similar beef. If we want green space in New England, we have to support New England agriculture.
    Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/10 17:34:26 (permalink)
    Interesting subject...most people don't think of Maine and livestock. From an ag. point of view, though, they can't raise much in the way of row crops, so pasture, hay, and of course trees as a crop make perfect sense. From an Extension Service site:

"There are 2,546 farms that raise livestock in Maine with over $241 million in sales. Livestock, poultry and their products account for 52% of all the agricultural sales with milk cows and other dairy products from cows accounting for 19% of sales followed by poultry including eggs (17%) and cattle and calves (3.4%) of total agriculture sales. There is a bifurcation of the livestock industry in Maine with large commercial farms on one end and small integrated and diverse farms on the other end of the scale.
    "Ninety-five percent of the farms in Maine recorded sales under $250,000 level, identifying them as “small farms” by USDA definition. In addition to the economic value of Maine’s livestock activities provide fields, pastures, and other open space that enhance residential and commercial development. Livestock agriculture offers such public benefits as providing wildlife habitat, improving water quality, nutrient recycling, flood control and carbon sinks. It also provides opportunities for hunting, recreation, and agro-tourism as well as being a major factor for maintaining the rural character of our towns."

http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmext/issuepapers/maine-livestock-paper.pdf
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/10 20:18:25 (permalink)
    Well Giz not to disagree with you but Maine has a huge potato industry I would consider that as a row crop. Also they are the number 2 state for Parsnips OK not everyones favorite vegetable, but none the less don't think Maine is just a small part of the agricultural community. I agree with Tmiles and will buy the local beef or produce above others to support local farms and industry in our area. Also gt that tree crop going on up here not a traditional row crop but a money maker. Chow Jim
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/11 18:42:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Well Giz not to disagree with you but Maine has a huge potato industry I would consider that as a row crop. Also they are the number 2 state for Parsnips OK not everyones favorite vegetable, but none the less don't think Maine is just a small part of the agricultural community. I agree with Tmiles and will buy the local beef or produce above others to support local farms and industry in our area. Also gt that tree crop going on up here not a traditional row crop but a money maker. Chow Jim

A distillery just opened here in Freeport, making some High end Vokda.
    The family has a potato farm and branched out into the vodka biz.
    http://www.coldrivervodka.com/

http://www.marshallpr.com/crv/permreleases/crvfactsheet.html

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2005/10/cold_river_vodka_potatoes_redefined.php
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/12 17:02:38 (permalink)
    Ok, I just got back from Bow Street Market in Freeport.
    I saw they have several cuts of WOLFES NECK meat there.
    Bistro Steak, looks like skirt or flank. $6.99/lb
    Ribeye Steak-kinda fatty $11.99/lb
    Ground Beef 85% lean $5.99/lb
    Hamburger patties-very red and nice looking $4.59/lb
    I think Sirloin, maybe Strip Steaks $12.99/lb-very nice looking very red.
    I bought the bistro steak and 2 hamburger patties.
    Total cost less than $6.00.
    I sliced some of the bistro steak into thin slices for sauteing like a philly.
    OMG, it is so tender and excellent flavor, and some of the best beef I have tasted in a very very long time.
    I then took the rest of the bistro and broiled it like a London Broil and it was the same.
    Extremely tender and juicy and the taste is awesome!
    No water in the pan like so many cuts of beef that I buy at the chain stores.
    The only cut that had the most fat was the ribeye steak's.
    I am going to stretch my budget from now on and buy this only.
    AAA+++ as far as I am concerned.

I took some photos before cooking, and I cant figure out how to put them on here.

They had a sign stating no antibiotics or hormones.
    I didn't ask about their grinding the hamburger there, if the same grinder was used as others, but I will ask the next time I am there.
    And that will be soon!
    Tara
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Premium Beef From... Maine? 2006/01/27 11:06:16 (permalink)
    I went back again to Bow Street Market for a follow up taste test.
    Picked up a sirloin for $8.99/lb and another bistro steak for $6.99/lb. Both were fantastic. (again)
    Prices have stayed the same both times I was there.
    I am now in love with Wolfes Neck Beef.
    Just for comparison, I also went to Hannafords to check out another "natural" raised beef, I cant remember the name, and it wasnt even up to par with the Wolfes Neck. Had lots of water and tasted bland.
    I am sticking with WNF beef products. It is worth the cost to me.
    Wolfe's Neck Farm Website:
    http://www.wolfesneckfarm.org
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1