Preparation for Immediate Service

Author
BelCibo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
2014/03/07 22:10:42 (permalink)

Preparation for Immediate Service

I spoke with my HD today about a Roast Beef sandwich and I am either not understanding or I described my case incorrectly.   I plan on speaking with him again next week but would like to be better prepared.

Here is what I want to do.  Cook a whole muscle Top Sirloin roast to an internal temperature of 145F which I would hold for 4 minutes min per Food Code.  I would then cool the roast and store.  During service I will razor thin slice the beef and cold hold. When we get an order,  dunk it in 180F au jus for around 10 seconds to warm it then throw onto the sandwich and then add our giardiniera.  

Two questions:
1)  Since I am not warming to Hot Hold, is there a temp requirement for the warmed meat that goes on the sandwich?  Do I have to reach 165F? I don't think it is needed due to this:
3-403.10 Preparation for Immediate Service. Cooked and refrigerated food that is prepared for immediate service in response to an individual consumer order, such as a roast beef sandwich au jus, may be served at any temperature.

2)  Secondly I really don't want to go to 145, I'd rather go to 130 but how in the world do you hold at 130F for 112 minutes?

Our Food Code is essentially a copy form the FDA code.   

Thanks in advance or if there is another preferred method chime in.

5 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1983
    Re:Preparation for Immediate Service 2014/03/08 00:16:45 (permalink)
    I cook to 110 & cool, perfect MR end to end.
    It either hits the grill or 140+ au jus for a dip. Hell, I even serve it undercooked" /> cold on a sandwich but have the disclaimer that you may die if you consume undercooked meat.
    Do you tell them every time you change something on your menu?
    I have changed my menu 20 times over the last four years and have never been challenged on what I was doing, because it was still in the relm of burgers and sandwiches.
    The only time I was restricted on prep methods was at an event and was checked twice in one day to make sure that I was not deviating.
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Preparation for Immediate Service 2014/03/08 10:30:39 (permalink)
    chefbuba

We have been yes.
    I need to ask him about posting the consumer advisory option.  The issue I would see there is that section of the code is specific to steak, makes sense to me though.
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Preparation for Immediate Service 2014/03/08 11:34:10 (permalink)
    BelCibo

chefbuba

We have been yes.
    I need to ask him about posting the consumer advisory option.  The issue I would see there is that section of the code is specific to steak, makes sense to me though.

You need to stop asking so many questions..... LOL 
    Know the code front side, backwards, and sideways. At any time they say "you need to do it this way", you must be able to dispute or agree with that immediately, no going to look it up. Know the law/code/safety yourself.

I was told at one event by a preppie newbie inspector that I could not use the meat I smoked overnight because he didnt see me cook it. Told me to close up or go buy new meat.........He doesnt know me very welll does he.  He came back and said "I see you decide to leave".  Politely I replied, "Oh I have someone here on the phone that would like to speak to you"... Handed him my phone and all you could hear him saying was "Yes sir, yes sir, yes sir...." Moral: KNOW YOUR INDUSTRY!!! and it helps to have the cell phone number of the State Health Department Commissioner..... The inspector and I get along so well now, he just waves as he walks by.....lol
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Preparation for Immediate Service 2014/03/10 15:09:38 (permalink)
    What you're doing is fine-I wouldn't sweat being so exact on cooking to a temp and holding for 4 minutes, etc.  I respect your desire to be so thorough but it's overthinking.  Technically you're not entering the danger zone and holding for any period of time so as long as you cook, cool and hold properly you're fine.  If you serve anything undercooked you need to have the advisory posted somewhere-just to be safe (and legal).  

Also these guys are right-know the rules and safety regs and don't worry about the HD with any changes you want to make.  Be ready to explain if need be but most of them know the text book and that's it-which, when it comes to cooking, is all of about 20% of what cooking is.  
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Preparation for Immediate Service 2014/03/16 00:58:23 (permalink)
    Got approval today to take from cold hold into au jus to reheat with no temperature requirement.

He believes cooking to rare or med/rare will be fine with an advisory.  He's checking and getting back to me in a few days.

Today was our first big event in this HD in 2014 so I figured we'd be checked and we did.  No findings :)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1