Preparing a GOOD steak at home

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2008/03/15 20:25:03 (permalink)
First of all I buy my steaks from the butcher's shop. I let the meat warm for an hour before cooking. A little salt and pepper on a hot gas grill. Alittle cooking and serve it cooked rare.
geshe451
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2008/03/15 20:39:54 (permalink)
here's what has worked for me:

get a couple of ny strips that are about an inch or so thick.

get your grill going (i use a little smoking joe). Let your coals get nice and red.

sprinkle a little salt on each side of the steak. cover (completely) each side of the steak with butcher's grind pepper.

put your steaks on the grill for five minutes each side.

you should get a crunchy, peppery black crust on the outside and a rare-ish melt in your mouth inside.

good luck and enjoy!
ppezalla
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2008/03/18 22:18:45 (permalink)
I just tried deep fried steak. 1.25"-1.5" thick rib eyes at 350F for 5 minutes. They come out of the oil crispy on the outside but it doesn't last.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4199
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2008/03/23 10:35:51 (permalink)
Even though we have my grandmother's iron skillet (ca. 1930), a Viking cooktop and hood, and an open "Texas-sized" kitchen I can cook a better steak indoors than you can get in most any steakhouse by the following, a method that can be used even in a stuffy studio apartment:

The "tool": http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11240636&search=griddler&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=griddler&Ntt=griddler&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

This little gem is an improvement on the Foreman Grill in that it has a "sear" setting. COSTCO and Sam's carry them for $89 - 99. Bed, Bath & Beyond, Kohl's and Macy's for $129.

The "spice": www.charcrust.com We prefer the "Original Hickory". This is great stuff whose name is self-explanatory. Here in Dallas it is available at Central Market and Market Street.

The meat: I would no more try to cook and Allen Bros. steak at home than tune the engines of our Lexi. So, get ribeyes or filets from Sam's or COSTCO.

Rub your meat and let it warm to room temperature for about an hour. Set your Cuisinart to sear. Sear your meat and get that Char going, then turn and re-orient your meat once, cutting back on the temperature setting. Poke the meat with your tongs to determine the proper "doneness". Remove and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes.

Eat and enjoy.

After the meal, scrape the Cuisinart grill plates with their handy tool and put them in the dishwasher. No muss, no fuss, no smoke, no smell - just the best steak you've ever had prepared indoors at home.
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2008/03/23 12:15:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Even though we have my grandmother's iron skillet (ca. 1930), a Viking cooktop and hood, and an open "Texas-sized" kitchen I can cook a better steak indoors than you can get in most any steakhouse by the following, a method that can be used even in a stuffy studio apartment:

The "tool": http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11240636&search=griddler&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=griddler&Ntt=griddler&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

This little gem is an improvement on the Foreman Grill in that it has a "sear" setting. COSTCO and Sam's carry them for $89 - 99. Bed, Bath & Beyond, Kohl's and Macy's for $129.

The "spice": www.charcrust.com We prefer the "Original Hickory". This is great stuff whose name is self-explanatory. Here in Dallas it is available at Central Market and Market Street.

The meat: I would no more try to cook and Allen Bros. steak at home than tune the engines of our Lexi. So, get ribeyes or filets from Sam's or COSTCO.

Rub your meat and let it warm to room temperature for about an hour. Set your Cuisinart to sear. Sear your meat and get that Char going, then turn and re-orient your meat once, cutting back on the temperature setting. Poke the meat with your tongs to determine the proper "doneness". Remove and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes.

Eat and enjoy.

After the meal, scrape the Cuisinart grill plates with their handy tool and put them in the dishwasher. No muss, no fuss, no smoke, no smell - just the best steak you've ever had prepared indoors at home.

Duly noted.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2008/03/23 17:43:43 (permalink)
Personally, I prefer a rib eye which is sprinkled with a lot of fat. It renders very good and insures taste. I use to prefer porterhouse but the part of it that is lean tended to be tougher than I liked.

I enjoy the ribeye over the charcoal grill. I occasionaly do them on the stove top with a very high temp such as 500F and just char each side.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
swvadon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/02/21 20:55:46 (permalink)
I now always use only grass fed beef. I have a Lodge cast iron skillet that I use to sear my steaks before finishing them in the oven. That is the winter approach. In warmer weather, I grill my steaks. I never put anything but salt, black pepper, and sometimes garlic powder on my steaks. Love them cooked medium, and love the simplicity of beef, baked potato, & a simple salad.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/02/21 21:02:42 (permalink)
swvadon

I now always use only grass fed beef. I have a Lodge cast iron skillet that I use to sear my steaks before finishing them in the oven. That is the winter approach. In warmer weather, I grill my steaks. I never put anything but salt, black pepper, and sometimes garlic powder on my steaks. Love them cooked medium, and love the simplicity of beef, baked potato, & a simple salad.

Amen to that.

zigmeisterxiv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/09/27 16:07:24 (permalink)
I recently saw an episode of Alton Brown "Good Eats" on Food network and he placed one of those charcoal chimney starters, loaded with lump charcoal blazing coals, OVER the steak he was cooking (steak was where the newspaper goes) ... claimed he could get up to pro restaurant temp.

Here's the link ...

post edited by zigmeisterxiv - 2010/09/27 16:08:44
zigmeisterxiv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/09/27 16:10:43 (permalink)
this site won't let me post link so go to food network ...  episode is "Porterhouse Rules"

- z
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/09/27 20:28:50 (permalink)
I think this is the link zigmeisterxiv meant to post:
http://www.foodnetwork.co...house-rules/index.html
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/09/28 20:25:54 (permalink)
season simply in salt and pepper, and sometimes a little soy sauce, let sit at room temp for about 10 minutes. For a thicker cut of meat I may let sit longer, but since we like medium rare to rare, for a steak that is as long as we want.

I cook it on my MHP gas grill as hot as I can get it, preheating for 15 minutes, probably around 650.  Then I use cooking oil to kick up the flames as I lay down the meat.  Depending on various factors including the meat itself, I cook about 3 mins a side.   Good char on it and med rare inside is what I usually end up with.  

In fact I do not usually eat steak out unless it is a steakhouse/chophouse (not outback more like a Morton's type) because most restaurants don't make it as good as we make it at home :)
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re:Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2010/09/28 22:31:07 (permalink)
It's always nice to see an older topic when it concerns steak.
If the weather is nice, I like to do my (prime 2" dry aged strip) steak outside on my August Gourmet 100% infrared grill. 
Inside, I'll first preheat my oven to 550 degrees (it's maximum temp) and then proceed to let my (room temperature) 2" thick strip steak sear on one side in my 90 year old Wagner cast iron pan. (I've never salted the pan but after reading some of the above comments, I will try it.)
Then, after flipping the steak over, I place the pan in my hot oven for about 5 minutes and then remove from it the oven and let the steak rest for 10 minutes. A little EVOO and fresh cracked pepper and, voila! A perfect steak. Charred and pink.
veracious
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2011/05/17 02:32:56 (permalink)
I just took a cooking class in steaks, and this was the exact method they taught. I was really surprised, because I never heard of "baking" a steak to finish it. Keep in mind that cut of beef, amount of fat, and thickness are huge variables as to how it will come out.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4199
RE: Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2011/05/27 08:39:50 (permalink)
matilda

[id="quote"]quote: Originally posted by MetroplexJim

Eat and enjoy.

Duly noted.

For some reason the URL I used above for the Cuisinart Griddler now leads to an $800 commercial panini rig.  Here is what we use:

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/grills/gr-4n.html

It's available at warehouse clubs for $70.
TwoJays
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 200
Re:Preparing a GOOD steak at home 2011/05/29 10:42:25 (permalink)
NascarDad

season simply in salt and pepper, and sometimes a little soy sauce, let sit at room temp for about 10 minutes. For a thicker cut of meat I may let sit longer, but since we like medium rare to rare, for a steak that is as long as we want.

I cook it on my MHP gas grill as hot as I can get it, preheating for 15 minutes, probably around 650.  Then I use cooking oil to kick up the flames as I lay down the meat.  Depending on various factors including the meat itself, I cook about 3 mins a side.   Good char on it and med rare inside is what I usually end up with.  

In fact I do not usually eat steak out unless it is a steakhouse/chophouse (not outback more like a Morton's type) because most restaurants don't make it as good as we make it at home :)

Agreed on all of the above. I buy some pretty good ribeyes from a local grocer ("Roche Bros."), usually 1.25 inches thick, or thereabouts. I make sure the two steaks are equally thick. I take 'em out of the fridge to get to room temp. Meanwhile, I fire-up my Weber gas grill and get it red-hot after about 20 minutes. When the steaks are ready, I rub w/ a little oil and then use a generous shake of Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides. Onto the grill they go, 90 seconds, rotate, 90 seconds flip, 90 seconds rotate and move to a cooler part of the grill (I'll turn-down my front burner to low). Usually not much more time needed for a perfectly seasoned, perfectly tender, perfectly cooked Med-Rare ribeye.  Like NascarDad wrote, I rarely eat steaks out, as more often than not I can do them better at home.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1