The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce Sun, 10/4/09 10:17 AM (permalink)
I thought you guys could help me out on this one. I bought a 10# can of cheese sauce at GFS for personal use. Is it possible to portion and freeze it, or am I going to be eating nachos nonstop for 2 weeks?

Gene's Dogs

• Total Posts: 719
    Re:Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce Sun, 10/4/09 10:44 AM (permalink)
    i Googled "freeze nacho cheese sauce" and a number of discussions were returned.  the general concensus was it can be frozen.  i've never eaten the canned product on purpose lol, but i've made it from Velveeta many times and it always freezes well.  my best experience was to freeze it in smaller containers so i only had to thaw what i needed at a time

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7739
      Re:Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce Sun, 10/4/09 10:56 AM (permalink)

It has a good long life in the refrigerator since it is processed and has an otherwise stable shelf-life before opening. It could be frozen if you had to freeze it. Freeze it in foodsaver bags. Thaw it first and it may be a bit clumpy during the freezer process through heating process  but it should smooth out eventually. Double boiler or in a saucepan on low. Stir stir stir.  I don't eat it so it is not like second nature but I know it could be frozen without  automatic disaster.
      Natural cheese freezes but also the texture gets strange. But this is not really natural cheese so...
      <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 10/4/09 10:59 AM>

That'sMyDawg

• Total Posts: 421
        Re:Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce Sun, 10/4/09 11:16 AM (permalink)
        gostillerz

I thought you guys could help me out on this one. I bought a 10# can of cheese sauce at GFS for personal use. Is it possible to portion and freeze it, or am I going to be eating nachos nonstop for 2 weeks?

No need to freeze, it has a long life if refridegerated properly. When it comes to things like this contact the manufactury on the can, most if not all have a consumer relations # or customer service # right on the can, you will get excellent info about the specific product from the people who made it and it takes less than 5 minutes and you don't have to wait for an online person to reply.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
          Re:Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce Sun, 10/4/09 11:55 AM (permalink)
          Hi Looked up Chefmate n my order guide and the reg cheese sauce has 45% real cheese.. The Jalp cheese sauce has 20% real cheese...............I agree freezing cheese is something I always regret. It comes out of the freezer like it's something from another planet................I agree dbl boil and whip it like you never whipped before. Bill

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
            Re:Preserving Nacho Cheese Sauce Sun, 10/4/09 4:49 PM (permalink)
            Thanks everybody! You just saved this schmuck from massive stomach aches!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com