Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference.

Author
Puff-Boyardi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2003/04/21 17:26:39 (permalink)

Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference.

I was thinking about getting a Pressure Fryer to cook my fried chicken to give it that "restaurant" quality. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with one of these? Also, I've been getting better results by brining my chicken for 1 hour in a salt-water bath (sea-salt or Kosher salt) and then using Lard instead of Vegetable oil. If anyone has any suggestions for a better method, please let me know!

13 Replies Related Threads

Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/04/21 17:32:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Puff-Boyardi

I was thinking about getting a Pressure Fryer to cook my fried chicken to give it that "restaurant" quality. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with one of these? Also, I've been getting better results by brining my chicken for 1 hour in a salt-water bath (sea-salt or Kosher salt) and then using Lard instead of Vegetable oil. If anyone has any suggestions for a better method, please let me know!

Pressure fried chicken always brings to mind KFC, which in my opinion is the bottom of the barrel. My best experiences have been using shortening, started out in a heavy duty skillet till nice and browned, then finished in a 375 oven.
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/04/21 18:02:28 (permalink)
    Is this process also known as "broaster" cooking? We had a restaurant in Cortland, NY, the Imperial (recently closed), that had a little shack addition to it known as The Imperial Broaster Hut that produced some wonderful fried chicken. I remember the cooking process was special, and the source of the broaster name, anyone out there know?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13499
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/04/21 19:22:04 (permalink)
    Puff, what you are talking about is Broaster Chicken. My brother owned a couple of restaurants in Minneapolis (TR MCCoys). He bought a Broaster system for his restaurant ten years ago and it was $10K at that time. It fried chicken much liuke you would except it was done under pressure. The advantage for the restaurant that it was much quicker and the advantage for the customer was quicker service and the chicken for some reason was much hotter. from there on out, it was how the chicken was batter dipped and spiced. I personally liked it very much. TR McCoys chicken was no where like KFC. Much much better and extremely crispy.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    fdm813
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/04/22 02:03:01 (permalink)
    Oh boy, this takes me back. In 1972 I managed a chicken and seafood take out in Richmond, Virginia. It was called Chick-A-Sea. We pressure fried all the chicken in peanut oil. We also would brine the chicken in salted water. Another tip is to double bread it. First into seasoned flour then a egg wash ( we used eggs, powdered milk and water) then back in the seasoned flour. Arrange on a tray then place in the frig for a hour or so. That way the breading will stay on the chicken and not burn your oil. Filter the oil after every fourth cooking to keep it clean. Hope this helps!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/04/22 07:54:25 (permalink)
    We have a couple of local places in Columbia SC that serve broasted chicken. Zesto's and Bernies are the two best that come to mind. The chicken is excellent, always hot and fresh. I also think that they add some seasoning to the batter ( in addition to salt and pepper ), but I have not really been able to put my finger on the exact taste !

howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/10/17 14:01:49 (permalink)
    Yo Puff-Boyardi

Last nite I tried broaster chicken in my regular old style pressure cooker. It was outstanding. I brined legs and thighs for 24 hours. Mixed up a slurry of flour, corn starch, water, black pepper, garlic powder, msg and one egg. Coated the chicken and fried at 350 degrees for 3 minutes. I used about an inch and one half of canola oil in the pressure cooker. After frying for 3 minutes, put the top on and let it rock for 13-14 minutes. Put the cooker immediately in cold water, popped the top and let the chicken rest. Some of the best damn chicken I have eaten.
    ThePHNX
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2003/10/24 09:41:29 (permalink)
    Have the Cole Slaw Recipe!

Got it from ( anonymous secret agent @ Carnsie's Irish Pub, Binghamton, NY ).

Will not trust to memory and will get together with my Lady Nan' tonight and post later. Will tell you that it uses Horseradish and (optional) crushed Pineapple.

HBH
    BTW: just got here, great board, some super knowledgeable posters. First time I ever found uninhibited `Broasted Chicken Recipes. Love broasted chicken but think the company a bit `pushy' about their `copyrights'.
    junk250
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2004/01/15 20:47:36 (permalink)
    DO NOT TRY in a normal pressure cooker,pressure fryers use 4-5 lbs of pressure,normal pressure cookers use 10-15 lbs which is TOO MUCH/UNSAFE for oil in a pressure cooker!!!I know this is an old thread but I had to reply.Home Pressure fried chicken is AMAZING,puts KFC to shame theirs is greasy/soggy mine is crunchy and grease free(like Chester's),and only takes 15 minutes.If you can afford it buy a Fagor pressure fryer,but they are expensive(about 250.00).But if you are poor and brave(like me),watch Ebay and get a Wear-Ever electric "Chicken Bucket"(The big one),has a built in heater and control like an electric skillet(they go for about 80.00 on ebay),I found one at a thrift store,they quit making them about 30 years ago,the gasket was dried out some on mine,but after several uses it sealed fine,cooks at about 5 lbs of pressure and has safety features that normal pressure cookers do not(sustains LOW pressure).I think they quit making them because you CAN open under pressure,you dont want to do that!,but if you are very careful you can use safely.They had stovetop models,but with the electric option is very easy to use.4 minutes on high,then put lid on and cook on medium for 12 more minutes=Perfect Fried Chicken!You will thank me if you get one!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13499
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2004/01/30 21:13:54 (permalink)
    The Sundancer has a pressure cooker that is ancient. I put a quart of oil in th cooker and put some breaded chicken parts with salt and pepper and let it cook about 20 minutes. It came out crispy, hot and wonderful.

That was about 6 months ago. I have not done it since I did the Atkins thing, but it is on my agenade.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    fatoom
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2005/04/13 07:53:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ThePHNX

Have the Cole Slaw Recipe!

Got it from ( anonymous secret agent @ Carnsie's Irish Pub, Binghamton, NY ).

Will not trust to memory and will get together with my Lady Nan' tonight and post later. Will tell you that it uses Horseradish and (optional) crushed Pineapple.

HBH
    BTW: just got here, great board, some super knowledgeable posters. First time I ever found uninhibited `Broasted Chicken Recipes. Love broasted chicken but think the company a bit `pushy' about their `copyrights'.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2005/04/21 22:11:35 (permalink)
    When we Had our chicken and rib place we had 2 Henny Penny pressure fryers and a broaster.The pressure fryers could cook 40 pieces of chicken in 12 minutes perfectly everytime.The one thing you had to remember was, to break the bone in the thigh,or it would not fully cook for some reason.The pressure fryers cooked under pressure so they cooked large volumes faster,and the pressure inside the chicken would keep the oil from saturating the inside while keeping the moisture in,while still make the outside crispy.They are expensive though,and you would have to install an exhaust hood and ansul system,unless you used it outside.I sold that place,but immediately after started buying equipment again,and now have enough equipment to open probably 2 restaurants,but we have to decide where!
    Barbqman
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2005/05/06 22:45:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    I sold that place,but immediately after started buying equipment again,and now have enough equipment to open probably 2 restaurants,but we have to decide where!

How about Manchester, NH. There isn't a decent fried chicken restaruant within a hundred miles of here. There are only two KFCs and they are even worse than normal KFCs.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pressure Fryers, do they make a difference. 2005/05/06 23:27:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Barbqman

quote:
    I sold that place,but immediately after started buying equipment again,and now have enough equipment to open probably 2 restaurants,but we have to decide where!

How about Manchester, NH. There isn't a decent fried chicken restaruant within a hundred miles of here. There are only two KFCs and they are even worse than normal KFCs.

Barbqman... Welcome to the forums! You might want to start a topic on Manchester, NH Fried Chicken... Probably get better results then in this thread...

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1