Pretzels anyone?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
monikawithak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/15 09:32:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooMaGoo

Hands down favorite "Mr. Salty's" ...... don't even know if they still make them. Remember crushing them up in a bowl of chocolate ice cream as a kid.

Shultz Foods of Hanover, PA is the original producer of the former Mr. Salty (contracted to Nabisco, before the RJReynolds split). I have only found Salty Stix , as they are called now, in Publix stores in Florida. I have my family "bootleg" them to me whenever we visit mom in Tampa. I sure would like to find out how to order a case at a time. Most assuredly the BEST pretzels on the planet.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/15 10:03:36 (permalink)
If you are a discriminating pretzel (or potato chip) fan, you would go wild at the Blue island Snack booth at Renninger's Market in Kutztown PA. They carry so many of the brands recommended in this thread and others.

http://www.renningers.com/vendors/index.cfm?searchID=176
ajewelpsu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/15 10:06:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by danstanick

If you live near a Cost Plus World Market (www.costplusworldmarket.com) you might see if you can find the 3# bag of Shultz Salty Stix. It's a good buy at 3.99, and has a resealable zip lock closure to keep them fresh.
ajewelpsu
Junior Burger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/15 10:07:44 (permalink)
whoops, sorry about the empty message.

Thanks so much for the tip! Now I don't have to wait for my procrastinator friend in Florida to mail me a box of pretzels! I can get them for my dad any time

Amber
quote:
Originally posted by danstanick

If you live near a Cost Plus World Market (www.costplusworldmarket.com) you might see if you can find the 3# bag of Shultz Salty Stix. It's a good buy at 3.99, and has a resealable zip lock closure to keep them fresh.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/16 23:48:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I used to work for a company in Reading, PA and they would get us boxes of pretzels from a company located there and send them to our house. I'd love to know what that company was so I could order them myself. they were the best.

carl reitz

Could they have been Unique Splits? They're made in Reading, very popular in the Lehigh Valley, and we get big cartons containing 6 - 1 pound bags to munch on at work.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/16 23:52:43 (permalink)
Well, UNIQUE is UNIQUE
and my very very personal favorite. They are made differently somehow. Very crunchy with a "split" down the middle of the twists that adds mpre depth and crunch. Also, seems to be a special brand of flour.
Crazy flavors: "darks" (actually burnt, leaves charcoal on your hands, tastes nasty), butter, cheese, jalapeno.
the best is "original".

THE BEST UNIQUE!!!

quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I used to work for a company in Reading, PA and they would get us boxes of pretzels from a company located there and send them to our house. I'd love to know what that company was so I could order them myself. they were the best.

carl reitz

Could they have been Unique Splits? They're made in Reading, very popular in the Lehigh Valley, and we get big cartons containing 6 - 1 pound bags to munch on at work.
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/17 00:27:39 (permalink)
Last week my daughter insisted on the Rockbottom Brewery for her birthday meal. They brew a decent beer, but the food leaves quite a bit to be desired, unless you know about the pretzels. According to them, the pretzels are made using the by-products of the brewing process. They come to the table with Con Queso dipping sauce and if you're going to a Red's game, they can easily be a meal all to themselves. They also make a decent pizza, but I've yet to have another menu item that came close to being worth the hassle of dining downtown.
Damn! Now I'm hungry.
monikawithak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/24 22:07:13 (permalink)
GOT SOME!!! Went to World Market in Mooresville, NC and there they were. Salty Stix pretzels in a 3lb bag for $3.99. I bought 2 and checked with the manager that they stock these regularly. WOOOHOOO! My husband is now threatening to put them in a plastic bucket, like the dog food is, and ration me to a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening.

Wow these are sooooo good.
ajewelpsu
Junior Burger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/06/25 14:30:54 (permalink)
Whoo! I gave my dad 3 bags in April and had to get him 3 boxes (that my friend sent me from Fla) for Father's day. I figure next week I'll have to go back to World Market and buy him some more

He can eat a whole pound in one sitting.

Amber
quote:
Originally posted by monikawithak

GOT SOME!!! Went to World Market in Mooresville, NC and there they were. Salty Stix pretzels in a 3lb bag for $3.99. I bought 2 and checked with the manager that they stock these regularly. WOOOHOOO! My husband is now threatening to put them in a plastic bucket, like the dog food is, and ration me to a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening.

Wow these are sooooo good.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/07/31 13:15:55 (permalink)
I was at Pike Street Market in Seattle this morning, went to Three Sister Bakery (not really a bakery, but a shop selling the best baked goods from all of the best bakeries in Seattle) and had the best soft pretzel I can recall having in years ... It is from Morning Star Bakery in Seattle ...

This pretzel is a MUST for anyone chowing their way through Pike's !!!!!!
bxfinest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/08/11 18:28:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

While I am a fan of a fresh soft pretzel from a street vendor in NYC over almost anything else (beware of the ones sitting since last Sunday, though, they get hard quick!)....

My favorite bagged pretzel right now are the honey wheat twist variety, which is made by Keebler, I believe. They have an incredible salty/sweet flavor that just does it for me. If someone can recommend a local variety, of similar taste, I would sure give it a go!

Steve

Oh you know it!!! The NYC style(Big & round) soft pretzel are delish...with mustard along with a Knish as a chaser. Now that's good eating!!!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/08/12 12:22:34 (permalink)
For fellow Mr Salty lovers--here is the Schultz Pretzel website, where you can also order online! Enjoy!

http://thepretzelpeople.com/Main/buy.html
tigmet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/09/04 13:31:53 (permalink)
I just stumbled on this, and I have to say that I have seen a woefully inadequate amount of praise for Tom Sturgis pretzels. There is a Sturgis pretzel in Lancaster, but that's only just the big ones. But for commercial pretzels, off the rack in the supermarket, it's tough to beat Tom Sturgis. They are located in Reading on the Lancaster Pike (I believe). You can order them online. When either my family or my in-laws used to travel to NE Pennsylvania for our respective vacation homes, it was mandatory that Tom Sturgis be brought home. I found them one time in Texas, of all places, and stuffed as many into my garment bag as I could. Now, of course, I can just go on line, but you have to be prepared to have a whole case of them delivered.
As far as the Utz -- they see a brand here at the delis and other places in New York called Long Johns which are fantastic. I've never seen them in a full sized bag, which is probably just as good, since I'd just wolf them down.
And let me ask all my fellow pretzel lovers: don't we all think that Rold Gold stinks! The one national brand, and it's AWFUL!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/09/16 08:54:09 (permalink)
Got my Salty Stix yesterday! Awesome! they are def Mr Salty's! Gonna have to savor these!
craigdexter1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/09/28 17:55:41 (permalink)
Gus Pretzels in St. Louis. Right across the highway from the Brewery! Soft pretzels stick or twist.
www.guspretzels.com
Ginger9708
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/10/10 13:41:33 (permalink)
I have tried many pretzels and do have to say the best ones are from Lancaster, pa. My favs are Uncle Henry's (they are so so hard & crunchy) great if you love alot of crunch which I do, & Hammonds. I just came back from Lancaster 2 months ago and bought a few bags of the Hammonds which are very good. After eating those I dont care to eat the boxed Snyders anymore. I have actually mail ordered for the Uncle Henry's. Hammonds was way too expensive (they only individually wrapped the pretzels and you couldnt buy them in bags - shipping also was very expensive. I decided to go with Henry for $19.00 I got 9 good sized bags which included the shipping
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/10/10 14:18:21 (permalink)
When my relatives come down from PA, they bring Unique. Sometimes I can find them in Davie at Batten's strawberry farm.

http://www.uniquesplits.com/dev/index2.php
bcory
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/10/10 15:02:37 (permalink)
Just remember all. Pretzels can be dangerous in the wrong hands
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/10/10 15:43:59 (permalink)
Having eaten quite a few pretzels in Queens County (Glendale-Ridgewood area and one of the five boroughs of NYC), in my humble opinion the best pretzels out there are Wetzels (a nationwide & worldwide chain) pretzels.
pennypincher
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2005/10/10 15:49:27 (permalink)
I wish I had one right now.
No more nickel pretzels.
This one will cost you over 2 bucks.
Did you ever have a cinnamon pretzels?

http://www.wetzels.com/index.php
peachy1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2006/01/04 15:16:27 (permalink)
Back here in Oklahoma we have to count on the grocery stores to stock our favorit pretzels. I used to travel Pennsylvania and there's none better than the soft pretzels sold at the expressway exits in little paper bags. Yum. But you've got to eat them pretty quickly as they turn hard soon and are inedible. As far as packaged pretzels are concerned, I'd rate Andersen's #1, and Snyder's #2 in the larger twisted style (anything else are cocktail pretzels in my opinion). Makes me wish I again had PA for a territory what with the pretzels, potato chips, and cheese steaks. Ciao.
peachy1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2006/01/04 15:18:44 (permalink)
Back here in Oklahoma we have to count on the grocery stores to stock our favorit pretzels. I used to travel Pennsylvania and there's none better than the soft pretzels sold at the expressway exits in little paper bags. Yum. But you've got to eat them pretty quickly as they turn hard soon and are inedible. As far as packaged pretzels are concerned, I'd rate Andersen's #1, and Snyder's #2 in the larger twisted style (anything else are cocktail pretzels in my opinion). Makes me wish I again had PA for a territory what with the pretzels, potato chips, and cheese steaks. Ciao.
harly4hull
Junior Burger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2006/02/24 10:33:56 (permalink)
I finally found them!! The old Mr. Salty Stix are Shultz Salty Stix.
My family from down south could never keep track of them; they'd be in the local stores only on occasion. Then we did another search online and www.tasteforamerica.com sells them all day - everyday!! I was told that they were made for Nabisco by Shultz - Nabisco dropped the Salty Stix line and Shultz still makes the pretzels. But they are no longer Mr. Salty Stix. I never write in any of these forums - but I know many people are in search of these (even if this message was posted a while ago) - I hope this helps!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Has anyone tried Shulz brand Salty Stix? These are an ultra thin pretzel loaded with great pretzel flavor. I'd recommend them if available in your area!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5117
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2006/02/24 11:55:03 (permalink)
Since this topic has come up again...my local foods'r'us shop-o-rama has been stocking Benzel's pretzels.

http://www.benzels.com/

They are very good...nice and crispy and rather lightly salted. I enjoy the salty ones, but if I eat too many I feel like I was left in the Mojave for a few days when I wake up the next day. Or...if I drink a ton of water while eating the real salty ones...I look like the puffy Robert Deniro in Raging Bull. Either option...not good.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2006/08/15 16:34:14 (permalink)
found salty stix on Ebay (from the online seller--"taste for America")--they are slightly cheaper on Ebay than from the "taste" site--just have to order em by the case.
eplusdj
Junior Burger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2007/05/02 15:28:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by j.roeder

Hi, I live in St. Louis Missouri. I have been looking for Mr. Salty pretzels forever. I just stumbled across this forum by accident. I have been trying to find any information about Schultz foods, and or Schultz pretzels. I can not find any information. I would like to know if they are sold in my area anywhere? Could someone help me?

Many thanks
tm
Junior Burger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2007/05/12 01:11:45 (permalink)
I found Salty Stix on Amazon.com today.
Wolftrout
Junior Burger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2007/06/07 16:43:15 (permalink)
Keeping an old thread alive.

Being from Lebanon origanlly, and going back there for vacation next week, one of the things I absolutely will do is go to Shuey's on Saturday morning for pretzels. Homemade in someones (Shuey??) house - I believe its on Canal St (may be wrong on street, though). This is Roadfood in it's purest form. They sell them every Saturday until they're out of pretzels, which doesn't take too long. I don't ever recall seeing or hearing about an advertisement or sign re: these gems - strictly word of mouth.

If I have to buy pretzels, I'm a big Wege's fan. Can't get them in Chicago, either. Thank God for visiting friends and relatives

Joe
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2007/08/27 20:53:33 (permalink)
Shultz pretzels now avail on amazon--had free shipping last week! i got regular pretzels & Salty Stix
Ginger9708
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Pretzels anyone? 2007/09/16 16:37:52 (permalink)
Another great one is Martins Pretzels from Lancaster. They are hard pretzels with tons of crunch so you better have a good set of teeth to eat them. I also mail order these or stock up on them when I visit once or twice a year.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1