Pretzels anyone?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
2003/11/10 14:55:59 (permalink)

Pretzels anyone?

Looking for the BEST pretzel to be found in your area. I love 'em and always look for them whenever I travel...and low in fat, too!
UTZ Pretzel Rods are pretty good! Also have fond memories of the hot pretzel vendor outside a clothing store..somewhere in NJ when I was young. Hot pretzels not hot vendor!

89 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/10 15:16:32 (permalink)
    Martin's hand twisted hard pretzels get my vote. Actually, Uncle Henry's hard pretzels are the best I've ever eaten but I don't know if it's the packaging or what but about half the packages of Uncle Henry's have been stale. The Martin's are more consistantly fresh.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/10 15:17:42 (permalink)
    Best pretzels are found in Lancaster, PA. Small, family bakers (just like the potato chips from that area - but that's another topic). Hammond's Pretzels is a small baker - it is located in a residential neighborhood and the "factory" is in a garage behind the house. You go in and buy them right from the oven. Martin's is a Mennonite bakery in Akron, where the little Mennonite ladies roll the pretzels in front of you while they sing gospel songs. These are different from store-bought, national-marketed pretzels. No preservatives, so they get stale within a week or two. But I grew up on them and for my money, you just can't beat them. Sorry, but even UTZ is becoming a "nationally-marketed" version and can't match those above. There is a pretzel stick co. called Faller's from Reading, PA which has great - yet different from the national brands - pretzel sticks. These are made w/ lard (horrors!) and absolutely wonderful. But they, too, go bad after a week or so. Most times, they don't last that long.
    Since the pretzel was invented in that area by the PA Dutch, they seem to know how to make them.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/10 15:18:09 (permalink)
    I grew up in Allentown, so that's where I was introduced to UTZ. Have to look for Martin's.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/10 15:33:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dendan

I grew up in Allentown, so that's where I was introduced to UTZ. Have to look for Martin's.

If you want them fresh from the oven, drive down Rt. 22 to Rt. 222 south to Akron, turn left at the square and go about a mile on the left to Martin's bakery.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/10 15:34:55 (permalink)
    Sounds great...but now I'm in NC. But that is what a roadtrip is for!!
    Oneiron339
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/10 15:46:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dendan

Sounds great...but now I'm in NC. But that is what a roadtrip is for!!

You're right. The road trip is the only way you'll get them unless you get someone to mail them to you. I usually have my mom send me some from Lancaster but they always get broken up. Everytime I visit, however, I load up. Unfortunately they get stale before I finish them. Hammonds does mail and I think they have a web site, but I'm not sure about Martin's. Good Luck!
    SharonTriv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2003/11/15 13:47:27 (permalink)
    One of Reading, PA's aliases is "Pretzel City." We have some excellent pretzels here. There is a tiny little bakery in downtown Reading that only the natives know about (until now). It's on a side street and the clue is there's a large pretzel sculpture out on the sidewalk. They bake pretzels in ancient ovens and last time I was there a large, fresh-out-of-the-oven pretzel was 35 cents. They don't advertise, they're not in the phone book (that I can find), and I literally have to feel my way around the small streets of South Reading to find the place. But so worth it--talk about a place out of time.
    Iconic
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/03/02 23:51:25 (permalink)
    Gus's Pretzels in St. Louis are THE BEST hands down!!!!

But...How bout some pretzel recipes....???
    SkiPatroller
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/03/04 12:53:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Best pretzels are found in Lancaster, PA. Small, family bakers (just like the potato chips from that area - but that's another topic). Hammond's Pretzels is a small baker - it is located in a residential neighborhood and the "factory" is in a garage behind the house. You go in and buy them right from the oven. Martin's is a Mennonite bakery in Akron, where the little Mennonite ladies roll the pretzels in front of you while they sing gospel songs. These are different from store-bought, national-marketed pretzels. No preservatives, so they get stale within a week or two. But I grew up on them and for my money, you just can't beat them. Sorry, but even UTZ is becoming a "nationally-marketed" version and can't match those above. There is a pretzel stick co. called Faller's from Reading, PA which has great - yet different from the national brands - pretzel sticks. These are made w/ lard (horrors!) and absolutely wonderful. But they, too, go bad after a week or so. Most times, they don't last that long.
    Since the pretzel was invented in that area by the PA Dutch, they seem to know how to make them.

I second Hammond! Each one is hand rolled! Yum!
    BooBooMaGoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/07 15:53:38 (permalink)
    Hands down favorite "Mr. Salty's" ...... don't even know if they still make them. Remember crushing them up in a bowl of chocolate ice cream as a kid.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/07 15:58:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BooBooMaGoo

Hands down favorite "Mr. Salty's" ...... don't even know if they still make them. Remember crushing them up in a bowl of chocolate ice cream as a kid.

I wish we still had Mr. Salty's. Rold Gold is about the only one worth mentioning here, well there is Snyder's. Not really crazy about either. I do however love the soft one's in the freezer section of your store. Moisten with a little water, salt to taste and zap for about 30 seconds. They're yummy with a little mustard too.
    BooBooMaGoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/07 16:06:38 (permalink)
    Oh yes, hot, soft pretzels, what a treat! Especially good dipped in warm cheez wiz!
    RubyRose
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/07 17:03:46 (permalink)
    I am sending a pack of Snyder's Honey Mustard Pretzel Bits as a door prize for the Baltimore get-together so I will tell a little of the history. In the olden days (as my kids say), there were always baskets or jars of free hard pretzels on the bars in this area (very salty, of course). The good brands shattered easily so there were always "nubs" left in the bottom of the baskets. The thrifty PA Dutch saved them up and the owner's wife usually made a mixture of butter and other ingredients and roasted them so on Saturday nights, they would be recycled as a special treat along with the plain pretzels.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/08 08:53:12 (permalink)
    I remember going to a pretzel shop in Litiz, PA. I think the name was
    Sturgis Pretzel. It was right in the middle of town and had been there for years. Those were good pretzels. But what I really like is a good soft warm pretzel. We have a shop in our local Mall of all things called Pretzel Twister that has the best soft pretzels that I have ever eaten. They are always fresh and I love to eat them with mustard.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/11 13:29:07 (permalink)
    mr salty's--- talk about a memory!
    ok-- there USED TO be a shop in shipshewana, indiana that had the BEST pretzels. it was called JO-JOs and they ROCKED.. unfortunately a few weeks ago, the building that JO JOs
    was in burnt down. (and so did the pretzels) we were sad to see that building down to the ground, but are hopeful that they will rebuild. they were the BEST.. ( other than the ones you get on the streets of new yokr city or philly from the street vendors!!!)
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/11 19:55:26 (permalink)
    I'll second RubyRose on Snyder's Honey Mustard Pretzel Bits being great. I love them, also the spicey version, although I can't remember the specific name Snyder's uses; either cajun or jalapeno. I think the regular Snyder's sour dough pretzels are about the best we get in upstate NY.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/04/13 10:53:01 (permalink)
    When I visit my mom in PA, I buy some Wege pretzels (I think it is pronounced Wee Gee with a hard G). They just seem to have the right combination of buttery flavor and saltiness to me. I love Utz chips, but I think their pretzels are too salty.
    Ted Steak
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/09/24 23:12:10 (permalink)
    Utz Dark Specials all the way, baby! They go great with a nice hoppy Imperial Stout...oh yeah!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/09/25 01:58:30 (permalink)
    While I am a fan of a fresh soft pretzel from a street vendor in NYC over almost anything else (beware of the ones sitting since last Sunday, though, they get hard quick!)....

My favorite bagged pretzel right now are the honey wheat twist variety, which is made by Keebler, I believe. They have an incredible salty/sweet flavor that just does it for me. If someone can recommend a local variety, of similar taste, I would sure give it a go!

Steve
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/09/27 12:32:41 (permalink)
    Snyders! Anything by Snyders is fine by me, especially the rods, the butter-waffle ones, and the garlic sourdough bites. I can easily blow through half a bag without realizing it.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/09/27 14:46:33 (permalink)
    I also like the Snyder pretzels. We went to the Southern Womens Show yesterday and I bought several dip mixes there that is really good with pretzels. You just mix the mixture with cream cheese. I got and garlic-herb mixture, a red pepper, tomato mixture and then we got a scampie mixture that you use with oil to dip bread pieces in.
    Snyders has a new pretzel sandwich type. It is two small pretzels with a cheese mixture in the middle-something like the cheese mixture in cheese waffies.
    Goose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/09/27 16:10:45 (permalink)
    have you ever amde pretze;ls at home? It's kind of like making bagels , and you need to have a stone, but they can be mighty tasty.
    Redskin204
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/10/17 03:06:17 (permalink)
    quote:

Oh yes, hot, soft pretzels, what a treat! Especially good dipped in warm cheez wiz!

I second that! Or how about with some type of French onion dip? Or even sour cream or cream cheese?

Redskin204
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/10/18 15:56:41 (permalink)
    I used to work for a company in Reading, PA and they would get us boxes of pretzels from a company located there and send them to our house. I'd love to know what that company was so I could order them myself. they were the best.

carl reitz
    RubyRose
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/10/18 16:38:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I used to work for a company in Reading, PA and they would get us boxes of pretzels from a company located there and send them to our house. I'd love to know what that company was so I could order them myself. they were the best.

carl reitz

Could they have been Unique Splits? They're made in Reading, very popular in the Lehigh Valley, and we get big cartons containing 6 - 1 pound bags to munch on at work.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/10/18 19:06:53 (permalink)
    Ruby, it's quite possible. I'd love to get some more of them. Could you post a phone number sometime if they have one listed on the bag?

carl reitz
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/10/18 21:11:41 (permalink)
    Couldnt tell you the brand or anything... But a Fresh Pretzel with Mustard from a concession stand at a Jimmy Buffet Concert cant be beat! I'm not a pretzel or salt fan, but the one I bought was heaven! (Had the munchies)...
    ajewelpsu
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/11/09 10:40:08 (permalink)
    I was at a local Marcs store and bought my dad some pretzel sticks, and he said they were the closest to Mr. Salty he's ever had. Unfortunately they threw away the box, and Marcs does not have any more (such is the story with discount stores I guess). My parents thought the brans was Schultz or something like that. All I can find online is Schultz pretzel balls. Does anyone know of the pretzel sticks I am referring to? And if not, do you know of any pretzel sticks that are really close to Mr. Salty? My poor dad's been looking for a replacement ever since they stopped making them!
    TinkPink
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Pretzels anyone? 2004/11/16 15:34:59 (permalink)
    I found Mr. Salty pretzels in our local grocery store today. They are Mr. Salty pretzel Twists and they are in Go-Paks (platic cups with lids) Nabisco makes them. Dont know if that helps! I am new to this site.
    quote:

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1