Prevent water line bursting?

Author
brickboo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
2012/12/28 20:32:33 (permalink)

Prevent water line bursting?

My water line literally exploded when I had the burner going for 20 minutes or so. It is the line that is plastic or whatever just before it goes into the copper tubing.  It was probably 10 degrees at the time.
After I have it repaired someone suggested using in my water tank what is used in mobile homes to keep the lines from freezing. They said it is OK for washing hands etc., but said do not use it for preparing food.
Do any of you folks use this product and have experience with it? I assume that if they use it in mobile homes it must be safe eh?
Man I have to work the winter even for peanuts if necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

9 Replies Related Threads

jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2012/12/31 15:56:35 (permalink)
    There is an RV-type antifreeze for winterizing. I don't think it's meant to be in water you are using. I'm inclined to believe maybe your lines were frozen and the heat caused expansion.
    If you only need the water for hand washing, maybe get an Igloo jug and fill it with hot water. You can also use hand sanitizer.
    I suppose you could dump some vodka in your water tank.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/01 11:55:21 (permalink)
    Jack,
    Thanks for the info. Need to try something. I own two igloo coolers. I'll see how long they hold hot water.
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/06 16:32:32 (permalink)
    I've had a few people recommend adding 1 bottle of alcohol to my 5 gallon tank of water to stop it from freezing. I am going to try it next weekend after I have my busted line repaired. I only use this for hand washing. 

I use bottled water for steaming and boiling etc.
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/06 22:37:58 (permalink)
    Just get the pink RV stuff. The alcohol will eventually evaporate I believe. Don't you have a CMS? There is a post back a year or two about a guy that had to fix his. It was a B*tch. You may want to consider a little re-engineering like adding a Sure Flow pump (or Delivan) and an instant water heater while you're in there. Good luck.   
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/09 18:02:03 (permalink)
    I've got a Ben's Big Dog....Luckily it is accesable from the bottom, cuz I've had to service it many times. It's open on the bottom. Seems a way to save money is to make lines the shortest as possible. No give. One little bump in the road, or a freeze,....the lines come loose. Had to replace plastic faucet with metal cuz it fell apart(On my first job!).
    Insulate any lines that are not exposed to heat. Try heat tape on lines when it's parked.
     And a light bulb.
    If your lines are freezing as you work, yer crazy for working in that weather.
    scott64a
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/10 11:08:59 (permalink)
    do you have a 12V battery on your cart? Someone suggested 12V pipe wrap in another thread, and I thought that was a great idea. In a quick google search I found: 

and:

I've never used any of these, but it's a topic that's been on my mind for the past few days. There is also this product, but it's 13.5V DC: 
    Lonestar Dogs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/30 16:30:45 (permalink)
    I have a CMS 325. Great cart, I absolutely love it. I purchased it used and got it home to realize the cold water tank had a busted water line. I pray no one has to deal with this issue! While I do love my cart, I know more about pop riveting than I ever knew before. On the CMS you have to completely disassemble the top of the cart to get to the waterlines! I guess, in a way, that's one of the best aspects of buying a used cart. Between fixing water lines, propane lines, rewiring the trailer lights I now intimately know my cart inside and out.

~Lonestar
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/31 16:46:10 (permalink)
    Beware of what type alcohol...isopropal is poisonous to humans...

Pink RV water system anti freeze is not rated for human consumption (at least in my area)...

Best idea is to not let it freeze...chances are you're ok during the day, so simple 115vac heat tape can be used at night and unplugged when you move & set up your cart...after wrapping the pipe with heat tape, install foam pipe insulation over it...

You might also want to keep a few 1 gal jugs of drinking water on hand as a Plan B...

brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Prevent water line bursting? 2013/01/31 21:35:51 (permalink)
    The manufacture Camco says the "Boiler Antifreeze" that they make is safe on the cart with the copper tubing running through the burner and is safe for washing hand. 
    I just would use it to show my running hot water in case of inspection. I put warm water in my Coleman water cooler to wash my hands and it was still very warm at quitting time about 3 PM.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1