The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..??

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Thu, 03/9/06 4:05 PM (permalink)
My friend and would always order one of each, rare and end, and then share. MMMM!!!
Joe

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
    RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Thu, 03/9/06 6:00 PM (permalink)
    It's the end cut that I like best.
    But then again I like my steaks 'chard-rare' black on the outside and red on the inside - the best of both worlds.

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
      RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Thu, 03/9/06 6:46 PM (permalink)
      Hmm...there are two different concepts at work here. Joe is talking about a whole roast prime rib done in the traditional manner. By sharing he and his friend get the best of the spectrum.

Very clever and commendable.

Scarlett is talking more about rib steak, done to order, that most places hawk as prime rib.
      Scarlett is right to call it steak, it is not prime rib, it is rib steak. As far as the way to order it, I could not agree more.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6256
        RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Thu, 03/9/06 7:27 PM (permalink)
        I have carved thousands of prime ribs on buffets (weddings, brunches, etc.) and the little old ladies always ask for an end cut and everybody else wants rare.

Personally I like cajun prime rib........roast the rib rare. Cover in cajun spice, put in the fridge. Next day whack off a piece and sear in a screaming hot cast-iron skillet. Best of both worlds.......seared and seasoned, med-rare in the middle!

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
          RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Thu, 03/9/06 8:36 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by lleechef

I have carved thousands of prime ribs on buffets (weddings, brunches, etc.) and the little old ladies always ask for an end cut and everybody else wants rare.

Personally I like cajun prime rib........roast the rib rare. Cover in cajun spice, put in the fridge. Next day whack off a piece and sear in a screaming hot cast-iron skillet. Best of both worlds.......seared and seasoned, med-rare in the middle!

I think lot's of people think they are also going to get more by ordering an end cut.
          I have had people say "Medium Rare End Cut".. I explain that the end cuts are well done, and we can't give you MR-EC.. and they say, Oh, ok, I will take the end cut instead.
          Just my own thoughts on that one... I could be wrong.
          (probably, I seemed to have stepped in it again)

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
            RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Fri, 03/10/06 9:15 AM (permalink)
            I like getting end cut because of all the spices and flavor that is stuck to the outside of the roast. So, when standing in a line such a lleechef describes, I like a pices of end and a piece of rare. The best of both worlds.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Fri, 03/10/06 9:56 AM (permalink)

I used to order the end cut as it tended to have more of the outer seasoning flavor.
              It may be my aging taste buds, but I think it is more the heavy handed use of 'rubs' that have made the End Cuts a mess of rub/peppercorn etc taste with no way to discern the true meat flavor.
              Give me a slab of the Medium Rare out of the middle, unless the end cut is very lightly seasoned.

Funny, With Pork BBQ I am just the opposite. I prefer the tougher, chewy outer meat with the real heavy smoke flavor.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                RE: Prime Rib, end cut or rare cut., why not both..?? Fri, 03/10/06 11:05 AM (permalink)
                Ah, yes, at a carving line you could just ask for both. And yes, the end cut is always well done on a PR roast. And yes, chard rare for the PR steak! The rare middle cut with a bite of spicy end cut now and then is an awsome taste experience! I bet your curiosity will get the best of you next time Al. MMM, that cajun roast sounds great!
                Joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com