Prime Rib

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/12 22:16:27 (permalink)
Sorry OneIron, I was gone at a BBQ contest and had not seen your question. If you are cooking at 275 - 300, I would roughly say 1 1/2 to two hours. But internal temp is the best way to tell it is done. I use a Polder cooking theremometer; one that has the thermometer on a wire. This way you can watch the internal temp without having to open the cooker until it reaches temp.

John
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/13 00:10:07 (permalink)
Many restaurants serve a passable prime rib, but one of the best I have had is at the Conesus Inn near Lakeville, NY. I once dined at a Lawry's in Los Angeles whch claimed to serve the best prime rib in the world. it was OK, but the four of us all agreed it didn't compare to Conesus Inn.
Wachusettgrad61
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/13 19:23:55 (permalink)
Holey Moley, all this talk of Prime Rib and roasted garlic has me about ready to spaz out. One of the best Prime Ribs I have eaten lately was from our local Elks Club...thick, very tender and oh so delicious. I once had a grilled PR at a restaurant in Tampa that was to die for, but haven't found anywhere else that does that.
I will be testing the PR waters at a local restaurant in Columbia Tn in a few weeks that boast of fabo PR...we shall see.

WG61
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/14 07:33:21 (permalink)
Anyone tried a Salt crusted Prime Rib. I have seen Recipe For it. and have done other salt crusted dishes, Mainly fish,[Whole Salmon fillets]with geat results,
I have been wanting to try it with a standing rib
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/14 07:40:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Anyone tried a Salt crusted Prime Rib. I have seen Recipe For it. and have done other salt crusted dishes, Mainly fish,[Whole Salmon fillets]with geat results,
I have been wanting to try it with a standing rib

Not a salt-crusted prime rib, but I have had salt-crusted steak (which is a popular preparation among Brazilians and, I assume, others.) A Brazilian friend introduced me to it. Too salty for my personal taste, but there was no doubt that it added a tremendous flavor to the meat. Friends who didn't mind the salt level loved it.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/14 10:51:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

When in Baltimore, go to The Prime Rib. I believe they opened in 1965. Consistently the best, despite the arrival of Ruth Chris, Morton's, Fleming's, etc.

They also have a location in Washington, D.C., which is great, too. I was there two weeks ago and enjoyed a tremendous bone-in ribeye steak. Ate salad for the rest of the week to compensate for it, and it was worth it!
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/14 12:36:51 (permalink)
Has anyone ever been to Durgin Park in Boston? I was there once, and the Prime Rib I ordered was memorable. It overhung both sides of the plate. I barely had the appetite to finish it. It stands as my favorite prime rib ever.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/14 15:04:56 (permalink)
Gary, place still exists!

Schnitzelbank Restaurant
342 Jefferson SE, Grand Rapids 49503 (616) 459-9527
www.schnitzelbankgr.com

quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

there used to be a place in Grand Rapids,Michigan called the 'Shnitzelbank' or something akin to that, where the atmosphere was truly german(steins all over the place,etc.)and the prime rib,which had to weigh in at 2lbs+, was an absolute sensation....anyone know of this place?
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/27 01:50:47 (permalink)
We have a few local restauraunts that serve Prime Rib. My favorite is B.J Clancys a locally owned place in Menasha Wisconsin. If you want to make it yourself we can get it at Haens Meats our local meat market in Kaukauna. We heard them explaining to someone how to cook it and it sounded really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flowercat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Prime Rib 2003/10/27 15:58:50 (permalink)
The best Prime Rib that I've ever eaten was at the Rib Room located in the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel in the heart of the French Quarter. The Prime Rib is so tender that you can cut it with a fork, the Steak Au Poivre is the best that I've ever eaten, their "specials" whether fish, beef or fowl are always excellent. I also have to rave about their perfect oysters-en-brochette and don't want to think about their desserts or I'll start to drool ..
The-Porcus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Prime Rib 2003/11/22 18:35:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Has anyone ever been to Durgin Park in Boston? I was there once, and the Prime Rib I ordered was memorable. It overhung both sides of the plate. I barely had the appetite to finish it. It stands as my favorite prime rib ever.

Yesirree bob and I certainly rank it high. I consumed everything but the bone and got "food drunk" and entered a food fight with my dinner companion - well, I just tossed the bone at him. Can there be a higher commendation for a restaurant's quality than to induce such mirth?
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Prime Rib 2003/11/23 10:02:06 (permalink)
My prime rib recipe:

Poke holes in the prime rib. Soak it in worcestershire and lawreys salt over night. Pre Heat oven to 375. Place in oven uncovered. After one hour turn oven off (don't open the door)and let sit 2-7 hours. Heat oven to 375 again for 35-40 min.

I have found that for 4.5 pound piece of meat the off time for the oven should be 4 hours and 45 minutes.

The biggest thing is never ever ever open the oven door. Letting that heat out even once won't work. I made the mistake of leaving in my pizza stone once as well, it held the heat and overcooked the meat.
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Prime Rib 2003/11/23 10:08:15 (permalink)
Oh, almost forgot. The cut I get is what the butcher sells as ribeye. I just have him cut off a roast size piece before he makes the steaks. Some cuts are better than others. All I know is people keep asking me to make. Good times, good times.
Messmore
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Prime Rib 2004/01/07 14:41:44 (permalink)
NE1 ever tried salt crusted standing prime rib roast? U can use any roast.
Here is my recipe for Salt Crusted Prime Rib, It turns out great.

Salt Crusted Prime Rib

Ingredients

1 Prime rib roast
Rock salt/ice cream rock salt
1 ts Monosodium glutamate (MSG) <Optional>
2 tb Worcestershire sauce
1 ts Paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Mix MSG, worcestershire, paprika, salt and pepper and rub into meat. Completely cover the bottom of a heavy roasting pan with a layer of rock salt. Lightly dampen the salt with water until salt is just moist. Place roast on the salt in standing position. Cover the roast completely with more salt, then dampen lightly. Roast in preheated oven at 500 degrees for 12-15 minutes per pound. When done, rock salt will be extremely hard. Crack it, pull away from meat and brush any remaining salt particles from roast.

http://www.yummmy.com
saps
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Prime Rib 2004/01/07 15:34:36 (permalink)
I generally don't like prime rib, but my wife ordered the Wagyu (Kobe) Prime Rib at Gibson's Steak House in Chicago, and it was phenomenal. It was about a 2.25 inch slab of meat, easily enough for two, cooked rare in the center and crusted on the outside.

John
L&R
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Prime Rib 2004/02/04 10:17:03 (permalink)
I think the Texas Roadhouse up here in MA has the Besat Prime Rib. It's always juicy and not too fatty like some other places.

After eating there I will never got back to the Outback.

Longhorns Steakhouse is pretty good too, but sometimes there are too many spices for me on it.
I have gone to some more expensive resaunts and ordered primerib and it is never as good as the Texas Roadhouse.
L&R
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Prime Rib 2004/02/04 10:42:48 (permalink)
I think the Texas Roadhouse up here in MA has the Besat Prime Rib. It's always juicy and not too fatty like some other places.

After eating there I will never got back to the Outback.

Longhorns Steakhouse is pretty good too, but sometimes there are too many spices for me on it.
I have gone to some more expensive resaunts and ordered primerib and it is never as good as the Texas Roadhouse.
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Prime Rib 2004/02/06 04:54:26 (permalink)
Without a doubt, the best prime rib on the planet earth is the Landmark Red Osier Restaurant in Stafford, NY. Here is their site:
http://www.redosier.com/

Bulldozer Rectangle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Prime Rib 2004/02/06 23:30:45 (permalink)
Gotta agree on the Durgin Park recommendation. That might be the best prime rib I've ever had.

Best investment I ever made was $20 in a digital probe thermometer, one that connects with a base unit that sits outside the oven. Set the temp for medium rare +10 degrees for carryover (~122) and the thing goes off when it's done. No opening and closing the oven, and you can watch the temp rise.

Not sure I agree with all these spice concoctions for prime rib, especially the MSG one, which makes my limbs feel numb due to an allergic reaction. But I haven't tried, so I won't judge.

Best thing I've found is to age the beef for a good 4 days in a container in the fridge, and let the water drain from the beef. Less water = more concentrated beef flavor. Yummy.

My standing rib roast was pretty good for X-mas, but the Au Jus was a disaster. Anyone got any recommendations?
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: Prime Rib 2004/05/10 00:27:28 (permalink)
C'mon down to central Florida and I will gladly introduce you to the best Prime Rib I have ever eaten anywhere! Towns like Sebring, Okeechobee and Indiantown have restaurants with some of the best cuts available anywhere. Simply awesome!!

Rich
[url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Prime Rib 2004/05/10 08:28:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mek

When in Baltimore, go to The Prime Rib. I believe they opened in 1965. Consistently the best, despite the arrival of Ruth Chris, Morton's, Fleming's, etc.

They also have a branch in Washington DC, which has the best prime rib I've had in this area. Their $20 prime rib lunch is, IMHO, one of the best fine dining bargains in DC.
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Prime Rib 2004/07/29 02:31:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog

I stand corrected Uncle Fudd and Michael. I did a little hunting and found the following explanation of "prime rib" on the California Barbecue Association website.

It said:

Prime rib does not always mean "USDA prime grade"

Opinion by JOE O'CONNELL, cbbqa Past President
Posted November 30, 2001

There is a common belief that a "prime rib" refers to USDA prime-grade rib roast. This is a myth.

In beef, prime rib has long meant the best cut of the rib section. The rib section is cut from the 6th to the 12th ribs, inclusive. This means that the rib section does not include the 5th rib forward, which is part of the "chuck", and the 13th rib backwards, which is part of the "loin".

As described below, chefs like Ranhofer in 1894 used the term "Prime Rib" many years before the USDA first adopted a tentative meat grading system in 1916.

Ranhofer's reference
For example, Charles Ranhofer, the famous 19th Century chef de cuisine at Delmonico's Restaurant in Manhattan, explained the meaning of Prime Rib in his 1894 treatise, The Epicurean, at page 472. Ranhofer's illustration of the American beef cuts shows three cuts, labeled A, B and C (with C being the front-most), which are described:

Six Prime ribs, A [11th and 12th ribs] first cut, B [9th and 10th ribs] second cut, C [7th and 8th ribs] third cut. Id.

The 6th rib is also part of the rib section and can be used as a rib roast, but not a "Prime Rib".

USDA meat grading
The first tentative standards for grades of dressed beef were formulated in 1916, and the federal grading of beef began in 1927.

Conclusion
The term "Prime Rib" was in common use to mean the best part of the beef rib section, more than 25 years before the first use of the "Prime-Grade" designation by the USDA.

Related information
Harris, J.J., H.R. Cross, and J.W. Savell (Department of Animal Science, Texas A&M University). "History of Meat Grading in the United States". November 30, 2001.

This sure opened my eyes!

John

I'm disappointed. I just assumed that "prime" meant USDA prime grade.
I recently posted a message on another board insisting that a stated grade of prime meant exactly that.

Man, was I embaressed.

I buy my meat at a local butcher shop that calls its steaks and roasts prime, and because it's better than anything available locally, I never questioned it. Their's is always fresh, never frozen, good price, better marbeled than anything labeled as "choice" anywhere else. I now won't buy meat anywhere else.

Many supermarkets in this area are now calling "select grade" meat "certifed" or "selected" and charging premium prices. To me it's barely edible, and sticking fancy labels on it without stating the USDA grade is misleading. I thought this was illegal, and I've complained about it to meat managers. I usually get a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders.

I admit to being naive, but I remember just a few years ago all meat was labeled with its USDA grade.

Is this the way it is all over the country? Was grade labeling always voluntary, or did something change?

Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Prime Rib 2004/07/29 13:08:04 (permalink)
I used to attend a company banquet every year that always offered Prime Rib. To me it was a juicey, tender hunk of undercooked beef, sitting in what looked like a puddle of blood that had no taste at all, begging for tabasco. While everyone else seemed to love it, I considered bringing in a propane torch to finish off the bloody thing, that was barely cooked within food safety margins. I felt like some predator eating something I just captured, and it was still mooing as I stuck a fork into it.
Then I was learned to ask for the "end cut". Sometimes I had to beg, bribe, or threaten the waiters to get one. Ahhh, Crispy, tasty charred crust surrounding perfectly cooked meat. Yum.
jbburn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Prime Rib 2004/07/29 13:39:12 (permalink)
skips other place in new buffalo ,michigan fact period amen!
eaglerich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: Prime Rib 2004/07/29 14:14:39 (permalink)
Steaklover, our local grocery chains recently started labeling their beef that way. Vons calls theirs " Rancher's Reserve " and Albertsons calls theirs "Blue Ribbon ". I know this beef is USDA Select grade beef. While these stores aren't charging a premium, they are still misleading their customers. I miss Raleys because they sold only Choice grade beef. I buy all my beef from Costco, which is also USDA Choice.
steaklover
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Prime Rib 2004/07/29 19:33:11 (permalink)
eaglerich, I didn't know about Costco only selling choice beef. I'll have to check it out. I'm a member of BJ's which has pretty good meat, but also sells some select cuts. They're mixed in with the choice cuts. You have to read the fine print on the labels very carefully.

I think I'll check out Costco when my BJ's renewal comes up.

There's a couple of places in this area which stick impressive silver foil labels on their meats which look the same, but one will say "choice" and the other won't state a grade. Since their sale items change weekly, you have to check the labels carefully to see which is the better buy. Sometimes you may find choice beef selling for 50 cents less a pound than select, which, IMHO, is one step above dog food.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5487
RE: Prime Rib 2004/11/23 01:46:28 (permalink)
Well I too think that the charcoal grill is the way to cook a rib roast or a hunk of tenderloin. I like to buy my rib roasts and tenderloins from Costco. This time of year they offer bone in roast, which makes for a better presentation.

I like to cook mine at ~350 until the internal temp hits 140. I use the Polder type thermometer so that there is no guessing about doneness. I use an indirect fire with 2 good sized hunks of well soaked hickory. I season the meat with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Man the meat comes out sooo good you want to smack your Momma! But Don't!

MikeS.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 2042
RE: Prime Rib 2004/11/23 12:36:55 (permalink)
A defunct local steakhouse chain used to have a small butcher shop out front. The prices were high, and I never bought. All the beef was prime. I think, but don't know, that much of the beef being served in mid scale restaurants today is no better than what you can buy at your local supermarket.I got an education 10 years ago, when random seating on a cruise made the CEO/partner of one of the best packing companies my dinner companion for 3 nights. At the time, his company was the largest supplier of beef to cruise ships. He was of the opinion that the public would not pay retail the cost that he wholesaled his product for, but as he said, "You get what you pay for"
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Prime Rib 2004/11/23 13:58:25 (permalink)
Wegman's groceries here in the northeast carry top choice meats that are truly excellent, but nevertheless no match for the true "prime" rib that I've had in the better steakhouses.

This year I'm getting the Christmas roast at either Peter Luger's or Lobel's, I'm not sure which.

The real drag is that some of us like it rare, some medium, and some won't touch it id there's any pink at all, so I have to cook to rare and then broil individual servings.

Tom
Biggerguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Prime Rib 2004/11/24 11:47:02 (permalink)
Love to talk Prime Rib! Best in Chicago & Vegas...Lawry's, Best in Baltimore...The Prime Rib, Best in Detroit...The Fox & Hounds (Best I've had), Best in Toledo...Mancy's. Be sure it's bone-in, or don't bother.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1